Finishes for major master bath renovation
rogerc
April 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We're putting the finishing touches on our master bath remodel plan. Here's the 'Before' floor plan. A few things we didn’t like about this original layout are:

It felt a bit cramped with the shower and water-closet walls being on the left and right as you first enter the space… like walking through a tunnel.
The enclosed water-closet felt very claustrophobic.

The only window in the room, just behind the built-in corner tub, was non-opening. We also wanted more windows to take advantage of the lush, completely private garden space just outside, on the opposite side of the west vanity wall, and to bring more natural light into the space.

The large built-in tub felt monolithic, took a lot of space and was dated in its style. We also had no use for the make-up table next to the tub.

The 8-foot wide mirrored bi-pass closet doors made most of the bathroom's east wall unusable. The mirrored doors also felt dated.
Although the master closet is large, the extra-wide bi-pass doors also made one full side of its interior unusable.

There was no direct access from the master closet into the laundry room, which happened to be just on the opposite side of the master closet wall.

We wanted a large open shower. We also wanted an updated contemporary/modern feel for the entire room.

Before:
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
and the after...........?
April 8, 2013 at 5:10AM   
rogerc
Here’s a few sketches of our ‘After’ plan. The highlights are:

Removed the closet bi-fold doors and relocated the shower to the south wall.

Replaced the enclosed water-closet wall with a frosted glass panel. Also pushed the back wall of the water-closet further outward to expand the area and added a urinal with a linen cabinet above.

Replaced the single floor-mounted vanity with two separate wall-mounted floating walnut vanities.

Added a tall window between the vanities. It opens to let in fresh air and lets us enjoy the garden outside.

Raised the entire wet-area floor 4” to help define the shower/tub area. We continued this same raised platform along the east wall under the vanities only. Our thought was this might help draw the two spaces together. This forms a small shelf along the floor under the vanities (where you might normally see a toe-kick, if the vanities were floor-mounted).

Replaced the built-in tub with a free-standing model. The large window behind the tub was formerly installed into a small ‘bump-out’ attached on the exterior of the house. This ‘pocket’ for the window was the same size and shape as the window, so the bottom of the bump-out was at the same height as the top of the built-in tub, forming a shelf immediately under the window.

Then, to give the free-standing tub a larger floor area, we lowered the bump-out shelf so the wet-area floor extends all the way into the bump-out. In other words, the bump-out is now floor-height, making the wet-area larger. It seemed to make the area feel more like it was designed as a space for the tub.

We mounted the tub-filler on a pedestal made of the same walnut as the vanities. Also added a wall-mounted shelf behind the tub, just to bring more wood into the wet-area to soften the space, which will otherwise be mostly mosaic tile.

We wanted the wet-area to still feel spacious and open, but to also provide some interest, so we added a tall, floor-to-ceiling 3-foot wide ‘bump-in’ extending 12” into the wet-area on the south wall. This was meant to just give the space some dimension and to subtly separate the tub area from the shower area.

We wanted the wet-area to have a spa-like feel, with seating of some kind next to the tub, so we added a short pony-wall that extends outward from the ‘bump-in’ wall, to act as a pedestal supporting a wrap-around wood bench. The bench is wider on the tub side than on the shower side. Being supported only at its center-area by the pony wall, it will appear to ‘float’ above the wet-area floor.

The pony wall also serves to slightly define the shower area and can be used for towels and toiletries. The bench will be teak, stained to look like the walnut. We also thought we’d build a lighted display cubby into the face of the bump-in to display art.

Finally, we added a pocket door between the master closet and laundry room.

All of the hard-plumbing, wall demo, concrete pour and the window addition are complete. Now were struggling with finish materials. Any suggestions on tile, countertops and flooring are appreciated. (The drawing fill-patterns make it look like we’ve planned mosaic everywhere. Although we’re open to that, it is not necessarily our plan). Comments on the design are also welcomed.

After:
April 8, 2013 at 5:13AM   
rogerc
Here's some detail of the wet-area...
April 8, 2013 at 5:15AM   
rogerc
Here's the vanity wall front elevation details...
April 8, 2013 at 5:18AM   
rogerc
Here's the wet-area front elevation details...
April 8, 2013 at 5:19AM   
rogerc
Here's the tub we've already purchased. Photo shows white, but our's is almond.
April 8, 2013 at 5:20AM   
rogerc
Here's the plumbing fixtures. We've already purchased these, but are considering using the sinks in either the master bath or guest bath. Sinks are almond. Tub filler matches sink faucets.
April 8, 2013 at 5:22AM   
rogerc
Here are the vanity wall-sconces and a small chandelier we're considering for directly over the tub.
April 8, 2013 at 6:07AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Very nice - I have the Axor Starck taps - they are great but keep a soft cloth nearby. everytime you brush your teeth or pull the level to close it, drips fall on the top. I have had them for 6 years now and love them.
April 8, 2013 at 6:14AM