OLLD - 4/8.....It's Monday.....
S. Thomas Kutch
April 8, 2013 in Other
Okay, I realize it's Monday morning.... but this is ridiculous, somebody be slacking this morning.......
olldroo
KUTCHIE!!!!! You just beat me to it!!!

So neither kimdee or bobbi are sleeping at the moment - not good.

Not much good putting my question to you but OLLDS when you wake up .............. do we have any knitters amongst us??? I've just found some fabulous free patterns for clothes for Miss 6's American Girl Dolls (whoever invented these should be shot) but of course everything is in Yankie. I have Googled in the past for conversions but it did take a bit of doing. Trouble is you probably won't know what I'm talking about ........... but just maybe.

I have a possible new candidate for the henhouse too. A lovely lady from Holland called Carolins.
April 8, 2013 at 5:46AM   
Slacking or still trying to wake up??? Ok, so the DIY microwave shelf is still standing. It's not that I'm surprised because R does great work and he's really meticulous, but......That microwave is huge and heavy! And the shelf makes creaky noises when I use the micro. I'm sure it will be fine.....right?

What's on everyone's agenda for today? Going for yet another blood test this morning, damn vampires. Last time my numbers weren't good, clearly the meds are not working. Couldn't be the Double Stuff Oreo's, right? I found these wraps that are only seven carbs. They also come in whole wheat which have 6 carbs, and I thought they couldn't possibly taste worse.
April 8, 2013 at 5:46AM     
Knit? No, but I do crochet, sorry Roo! And I know the American Girl dolls and I agree about the inventor!
April 8, 2013 at 5:47AM   
Has anyone tried any of those energy drinks? And do they work? And do you have a preference?
April 8, 2013 at 6:00AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Don't knit or crochet...... wifey is very cautious about letting me play with pointed instruments.... heck, I even have to hide my sketching pencils if they're really sharpened to a point......and the only American Girls I'm familiar with are the old pin up illustrations..........

Will finish up the window enclosure this morning......installing the header box, sanding, sealant and a coat of Kills base to protect it till we paint the outside this Spring. And I'm expecting that that will be about it for the day......

Will drop back in later and check on you all............have a good one ladies and gents.
April 8, 2013 at 6:05AM     
Yeah, STK, I don't think they've named an American Girl doll Bettie Page....not yet anyway.
April 8, 2013 at 6:07AM     
olldroo
Haha - well if something really goes bump in the night bobbi, then you will know what it is. Probably be just the night you get to sleep.

Hope your blood test goes well for you. How long does it take to get results? My sugar was up on my last one - I haven't tried Oreos but I think the Easter Eggs I jumped the gun on may not have helped, especially when they were all filled with gooey rich caramel. I just had to buy them, two sweet little girls bailed me up in the shopping mall selling them to raise funds for their school - right?
April 8, 2013 at 6:07AM     
I know! The Girl Scout cookies get me everytime. For R, not me of course. Uh huh. I always ask them if they're made with real Girl Scouts but they don't get it.

The test results are usually back the next day but they go to the Dr., not to me. And she doesn't like giving me the results over the phone, she wants me to pay my $30 and come see her which isn't going to happen for a while. So, I guess I'll only hear from her if they're bad again.
April 8, 2013 at 6:10AM   
olldroo
Bobbi - energy drinks - you really have to watch them, they can be absolutely loaded with sugar. If you are really feeling run down, then get yourself some over 50 vitamins and take a course of them. Does you doctor check everything with the blood test, it may show up some lacking vitamins or minerals. Remember Janishill recommended molasses one time? I went and bought a jar and had a spoonful 3 mornings in a row, tasted vile, but I did seem to perk up. Thanks for the reminder, I might try it again, I'm just not firing at the moment.
April 8, 2013 at 6:13AM     
olldroo
Nice doctor - mine has all my results on computer and posts me the hard copy with any comments on. It is really great as it goes back over the last 3 or 4 tests so I can compare. If I have any problems I ring her - which usually always happens as I need her to translate her writing - well she is a doctor.

I haven't seen a Girl Guide biscuit for years - wonder if they are the same. Had the Boy Scouts selling some one time but there was no comparison. I remember confusing them asking why they didn't sell Girl Guide biscuits.
April 8, 2013 at 6:17AM     
olldroo
Nearly forgot - Bobbi, if you crotchet, then you can help me, your patterns don't give the ply of wool - what is worsted wool? I have a feeling I rummaged years ago and found it was an 8 ply. I'm also looking to find out what 4ply and 5 ply is called. I also loved how the patterns told me how many yards of wool I needed. Our wool is sold by weight!!! Luckily I have plenty of left over stuff so I know I won't run out. Just dying to get rid of all this. I have to check for needle conversions too but I did find that really easily one time. Why the heck can't we all talk the same English!!! I found some nice crotchet patterns too, which I will do as it is so much quicker than knitting.
April 8, 2013 at 6:26AM   
Our wool is sold by weight, also. I believe a 3 oz skein is 3 or 4 ply, but I will check for you next time I go to the craft store.
April 8, 2013 at 6:30AM   
Molasses is loaded with sugar, too, no? I think I just have my days and nights mixed up.
April 8, 2013 at 6:31AM   
olldroo
OK, your weight relates to the thickness of the wool, the weight on ours relates to how much is in a ball, usually 25, 50 or 100 grams. If you think about it, that will be great. What sort of things do you crotchet? I found a site through pininterest (I think this website I started on had me all over the place) with some fabulous things but I have no idea how I would use them - probably back in the 70s I would have, but not now.
April 8, 2013 at 6:36AM   
olldroo
Yeah, molasses would be all sugar being made from sugar cane. Wasn't thinking of that. Past my bedtime. Try some camomile tea. That is really working on me at the moment.
April 8, 2013 at 6:45AM   
OLLD's! Ironwood needs our support here, snarky comment against him: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/427451/Countertop-choices-kitchen
April 8, 2013 at 6:47AM   
EZ, I don't think this lab does hard copy anything. And I believe it would take an act of God to get notified of my own blood results. But thanks for the thought :))
April 8, 2013 at 6:47AM   
Roo, see if you could get some helpful info here as I don't know when I'll get to the store. Red Heart is a popular choice here. http://www.michaels.com/Yarn/products-yarnandneedlecrafts-yarn,default,sc.html
April 8, 2013 at 6:49AM   
olldroo
OMG - Instant history lesson. Ironwood sure speaks well. I sit back and laugh here - marble and granite just aren't used much here in kitchens and quite frankly, I can't stand the busyness of them, it is too much for me. Ceasarstone is the current trend but laminate is coming back also. There is also another stone product, can't remember the name exactly, I got it on the vanity in the main bathroom and it looks quite nice, it only has a very tiny fleck in it that is barely noticeable.
April 8, 2013 at 7:01AM     
olldroo
Thanks Bobbi, will do. LOVE Michaels, LAdd brought some catelogues out of theirs one time, I could have gone mad. It would not be safe for me to go into one of their stores.
April 8, 2013 at 7:02AM     
olldroo
Oh, heck, this will take time but at least the site gives needle size so if I translate the needle size into our needle size, I can probably work the ply out from that. Glad to see they have Paton's wool although not a lot of it, that is one of our main brands, but probably the name of the wool is different - nothing is ever easy.
April 8, 2013 at 7:08AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Bobbi..........the only thing I can tell you about those energy drinks, is they aren't substitutes for proper rest and if you drink 8 of them and drive for 16 hours, you'll see things that aren't really there, hear things that aren't being said and say things you would never say other wise...........come to think of it, isn't that like being drunk.....hhmmmmm.

I was making a drive back from Denver several years ago. Left about 6 pm and planned on making it as far as Amarillo . Downed the first one before I hit Colorado Springs just to stay alert. Between Colorado Springs and Lamar, where there is nothing but straight road, antelope and rolling plains I downed 2 more. Stopped to eat in Lamar, around mid night, popped the top on another can and headed south towards Amarillo. In SE Colordao there is a huge wind turbine installation.........at night it's rather interesting cause they all have blinking red lights on top of them.........as you look out over the emptiness of blackness all you see are these synced blinking red lights in straight lines.......now you have to remember, by now it's about 2:30 AM and I'm going on about 20 hours since I last slept. My head isn't working quite right..........I see alien landing strips in the blinking red lights. I figure it's time to pull over and take a power nap for an hour or so.....only problem is, I'm jacked up on Red Bull. After an hour of trying to make myself sleep, I decide to keep heading south. Coming into Amarillo I come up over a rise and am just about to cross over the Canadian River and I see a herd of cattle crossing the highway being driven by a bunch of cowboys out of the old west........not surprising in the Texas pandhandle, but when they went through the fence along the road, I'm thinking that maybe they weren't really there.

Stopped to eat breakfast in Amarillo and topped it off with my 6th Red Bull before I got back on I40 headed east towards Oklahoma City.......if you've ever driven from Amarillo to OKC, you know that this not much to keep one's attention........rolling hills start at the state line...........pretty much nothing but farms and ranches and where ever there's some water, you'll have bunches of cottonwood trees.......and lots of cows.

Between Amarillo and OKC I down 2 more Red Bull.......and coming into OKC, I'm having a hard time maintaining my speed at a constant 75 MPH........I'm going along fine at 75 then I've dropped to 40 back up to 75, back down to 40..........somewhere about Mustang (just outside of OKC) I have to pull off........my legs are shaking, my hands and arms are shaking. I can't keep my eyes focused and everything is super loud.....the joints in the highway sound like someone slapping 2 2x4's together, the engine sounds like a jet engine. I need sleep and it's just after 12 noon..............check into a hotel room, walk very unsteadily to the Denny's next door to the hotel and order some eggs and chicken fried steak for lunch. Decide to call my wife, who is spending the Labor Day weekend at Kentucky lake with a good friend of ours (female sherrif's deputy baillif in her court room) fishing. Wife thinks I'm not making much sense in our conversations, tells me to spend the night there and not get back on the road until I've gotten a good night's sleep..........somewhere in the conversation I ask her if she's having sex with our friend and would she consider a threesome in out future with her.........................................................very long silence on the phone.....................my wife ask how much I've had to drink. I reminder her I don't drink and tell her the only thing I've had to drink is Red Bull. She ask how many...........I tell her since last night ..... 8, maybe 10........I forget. She wants to speak to the waitress. The waitress escorts me back over to the hotel.........I'm wondering if I'm going to get lucky. The waitress and desk clerk help me to my room, put me in my bed and cover me up with the bed spread. One of them leaves a note on my cell phone to call my wife when I wake up...............

Next morning sometime around 9 am, I wake up with a headache the size of the grand canyon and a 10 hours drive still ahead of me to Memphis. The waitress at Denny's addresses me as sleeping beauty and relays the events of the previous day that I have no recolection of and ask me if I called my wife yet............I promised her I would after I ate and had a couple of cups of coffee. I asked her if I made any out of line remarks or actions in my buzzed state and that if I did, I was extremely sorry. She just smiled and said it was the best part of her boring day, but to keep away from the Red Bull..............after eating and a couple of aspirin to go with my coffee, I called my wife. She told me everything I had said and about her conversation with the waitress who called her back to let her know I was safely in bed out cold.......apparently, I had propositioned both the waitress and the desk clerk (young female pre med student working her way through college) for a wild threesome..........................I left the waitress a $40 tip and an embarrassed apology. When I checked out, I left that same desk clerk a very large tip and another embarrassed apology............

Haven't touched the Red Bull since...........and still my wife and our best friend use the incident against me at every opportunity.......... when our friend bought her new red bass boat........you guessed it, there on the back is the name...........Red Bull. And whenever we go out fishing...........there's always 1 Red Bull in the ice chest. Some things you just never get to live down.
April 8, 2013 at 7:17AM     
mpoulsom
I think Dave should let them take him out to dinner and show the products. Wouldn't hurt...and he gets a free meal! :)
April 8, 2013 at 7:20AM     
olldroo
mp - did you delete something??? The email is a bit of a worry.
April 8, 2013 at 7:27AM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Bobbi.......I've found that a good pick me up is a cup of hot green tea with 2 tablespoons of natural honey in it. Another thing is a couple of months ago, I cut out all gluten in my diet..........it's amazing what a difference it has made.
April 8, 2013 at 7:30AM     
Just chipping in on molasses here. For a pure sugar (meaning unrefined and as close to natural) - molasses is one of the best. It still is a sugar and still contains calories but it is the healthiest.
April 8, 2013 at 7:37AM     
olldroo
Kutchie, I was just reading today about gluten, my eldest grandson is celiac so we have all been having testing done. DD thought she definitely was celiac, and was adamant I was and my mother was. Unfortunately dd has too much medical knowledge for her own good at times and ignores the fact that we did not have any symptoms. Turned out though while she was negative she had genetic testing done and is a carrier. My doctor would not do genetic testing as my blood result was so low it would be a fluke coincidence for me to be a carrier. My daughter has cut gluten out of their diets for the g/s's benefit and she claims to feel a lot better for it, but some research I read today warns against it, unless celiac is positive, as it can have quite a harmful effect on the body. I will have to see if I can find the article for you. Maybe it might be an idea to get tested first to see what your levels are.
April 8, 2013 at 7:40AM   
That convo is the kind that annoys me. Someone posts a question; someone answers with an intelligent, pleasant response. Out of nowhere comes Snarky. Never heard from this person before and the bottom line he is just advertising his product. But, he'll take you to the mat to do it.

What got me, but I remembered Nancy and did not comment on it, was the reference to "higher end cliental". So, I guess, everyone who can't qualify as higher end has no opinion of value. Grrrrrrrrr.
April 8, 2013 at 7:52AM     
Looking forward to this afternoon. My girlfriend and her husband, both interested in design/decor (and great at it) are coming over to see my cottage. I am going to print out everything I am ordering for the staging process and go over it with them. They are always so encouraging, but honest at the same time.
April 8, 2013 at 7:55AM     
olldroo
Where is Dave anyway?
April 8, 2013 at 7:58AM   
bobbi, my medical group gives the option of on-line access to health charts. Oh, and when you have your blood work done, request that a copy be mailed to you as well as your primary care.
I see 4 doctors and I always have any test results sent to the four of them. Often tests can overlap and reduce the necessity of going as often.
April 8, 2013 at 7:58AM   
Hi all, blood drawn, damn vampires. I asked about having results sent to me, the Vampiress said the Dr. has to order this in writing. Whatever.

This is a great website for gluten-free products if you've never been there: http://pamelasproducts.com/ I've ordered from them many a time and never been unhappy.
April 8, 2013 at 8:35AM   
kimdee24
Well, I finally fell asleep (with the help of a sleep aid) around 3:30am and let myself sleep until 9. But I have meeting, all the way downtown, at 11 so have to move fast and get ready for that -- and I'm not in a move fast kind of mode! Still a bit groggy.

olldbobbi -- From the other thread, I LOVE Jack Reacher. I've read them all, and now am starting over from the beginning. Currently I'm almost finished with "Running Blind". As a side note -- I cannot believe they cast Tom Cruise to play Jack in a movie. Tom Cruise is SO not Jack Reacher, by a long shot.
April 8, 2013 at 8:48AM   
Kimdee, I'm SOOOOO happy to find another Jack Reacher fan! And I totally agree with you about Tom Cruise. Who would you have cast? And did you see the movie?

I'm doing the same thing you are - I've read them all and I'm starting again. May 27 the new book comes out in paperback and I will def be first in line!

WAKE UP!!! hehehe
April 8, 2013 at 8:52AM     
kimdee24
Oooh! May 27! I didn't know that! Woo hoo!

Who would I cast? I don't know... but every time I watch Person of Interest I think -- THERE! He is Jack Reacher! So Jim Caveizel, I suppose. Cool, deadpan...tough.

I didn't see the movie. I might rent it sometime, but I feel like I might giggle/be annoyed through the whole thing, knowing how much TC is no JR!

Gotta run, late for my meeting!
April 8, 2013 at 9:08AM     
mpoulsom
Have to show you this....they look like 2 little ladies taking off for a lunch date and shopping...OR headed to the beach to go surfing! hahaha! (boo m. and her cuz this weekend)
April 8, 2013 at 9:42AM     
Could they swing by and pick me up for Saturday Night OLLD Bar?
April 8, 2013 at 10:09AM     
Hello everyone! Bobbi..I've tried the energy drink Monster and it does "perk" me up a bit. It has lots of caffeine and vitamin B. You could ask your doc for a B12 shot..that works great!

I agree carolins has great taste (as do all the hens and roosters here) and would be a nice addition to the ollds.

MP..those little ladies on their way to lunch is adorabel!
April 8, 2013 at 10:48AM     
mpoulsom
are they not a hoot?! I love them! and judyg, if they were near you, they WOULD pick you up! :)
April 8, 2013 at 10:49AM     
mpoulsom
bob, just be careful of those energy drinks....they scare me! mal used to be addicted to those things and it was not healthy. her doc made her stop.
i think the only way i would drink them is if i were driving on a long trip or something and needed a big boost!
April 8, 2013 at 10:52AM     
mpoulsom
darzy, that's my grand chick on the left and her cousin. they are both 3 and bestfriends. don't live in the same town, but not far from one another and have spend the night parties. i love watching them together. they hold hands and hug each other and giggle! just precious.
April 8, 2013 at 10:54AM     
Kimdee, I haven't seen the movie for the same reason. I'm thinking Hugh Jackman or Duane something-or-another, The Rock?

MP, those girls are wonderful! Thanks for the energy drink tip :))

EZ, why do you delete your posts? If they're going to publish them on SF Gate, I'm pretty sure it would be the same day.

Darzy - thanks! Do the drinks make you jittery or just perk you up?

Oh man, I guess today is the day for famous people to die. First Margaret Thatcher now Annette Funicello. Bummer.
April 8, 2013 at 11:02AM   
OLLDs - have you all seen this interchangeable backsplash system? Check the last comment on the page by Kitchen Pallette: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/427685
April 8, 2013 at 11:22AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
roo, when i said I cut out all gluten in my diet, I should have said cut it back substantially........I still have food with gluten content, just try to keep it at a minimum........heck, just about anything can put my system off balance given the right circumstances and what condition I'm in at the moment. The joys of a completely dysfunctional endodrine system...............

Now I'm just waiting for the sealant to dry over and I can paint this enclosure and be done with it..........talk about a pain the ass. Back in the 50's they were slapping houses up so quickly that I don't think they paid much attention to the details.........in a 6' opening. the framed wall with the black board sheathing varied 1.25" from one side to the other in relation to the brick veneer...........really makes for fun work trying to make up the difference. If we were going to retire here, I would actually take the brick veneer off completely. It wouldn't be too hard, just remove the freeze board and pull it down from the top........heck, one mighty pull and I bet whole sides would come tumbling down........not a single brick tie back to the framed wall. Problem is, then I would have to finish it with siding and knowing how much I'm going to have to shim the interior to install drywall, it would be quite a task to side this beast...............best to leave the brick work to the next owner.
April 8, 2013 at 11:28AM     
I found the Monster drink (it comes sugar free too) just perks me up. But, I didn't drink more than one per day. I haven't had one in a long time so thanks for the reminder! They are not as pricey as the Red Bull. I like the taste better than Red Bull but it's not delicious either!

BTW..how come I can't click "follow" on many of the ollds? I've been lagging in the discussion and threads and thought I'd follow you so I can keep up! judyg? bobbi? ez? and others.
April 8, 2013 at 11:29AM     
mpoulsom
i have missed the news today.....didn't know of either of these deaths. :(
I have not the interchangable backsplash. I HAVE seen the sticky paper (?) application at home depot, where you use no thinset. You just put it on the wall and then attach your tiles to it. Thej grout it. Thought that was a cool idea, but never have tried the product out.
April 8, 2013 at 11:34AM     
Darzy, we had that option turned off. We were getting slammed steadily by strange Houzzers because we were up high on the leaderboard so Houzz set it up that if we turned off follower we wouldn't appear at all on the leaderboard. Hope that makes sense :))

OMG, we are actually having gale force winds here! My poor little potato bush topiary just folded right in half at the base, and sprang back up! 50-60 mph winds! I blame the windmills on the Altamont, they're always creating wind. hehehe
April 8, 2013 at 11:37AM   
mpoulsom
darz, they opted out of being stalked! lol
but seriously, they have for reasons in the past where some were trying to harass instead of being nice normal mature people.
April 8, 2013 at 11:38AM     
MP, I saw that too but man is that pricey. $20 for a small sheet. R wants to use it if we EVER penny tile his shower basin.
April 8, 2013 at 11:38AM   
Mature people! Ha! Good one, MP!
April 8, 2013 at 11:38AM     
mpoulsom
i love those windmills.... very pretty. Used to see them on my way to Liver City (livermore)....

It's beautiful today here and just enough wind that you feel like you are seaside!
April 8, 2013 at 11:40AM     
mpoulsom
but alas i am not.......seaside that is
April 8, 2013 at 11:43AM   
Liver City! Slivermore! And Scum Leandro, Hayweird.......
April 8, 2013 at 11:56AM   
mpoulsom
Forgot to tell you guys...came up with a plan for my pop's place! I have the perfect excuse for cleaning up the joint! Well, 1), he will be in the hospital for a few days....so I could sneak in there and do it. 2) He will need more room to walk around, WHEN he can walk. I'm sure he will have crutches and/or a walker for awhile. There's no room for him to navigate around all the stuff (garbage) with a walker or crutches! My gosh, if he hit his knee on something that would be horribly painful!!! Plus I can go over after he's home and keep working on the place right in front of him. What's he gonna do? He cannot chase me down and stop me!! haha! I'm thinking I will rearrange the furniture, put stuff away in another room that he doesn't use all the time and even paint the walls! I would only have to paint the walls, all the trim is stained wood, so that's good.
April 8, 2013 at 12:15PM   
OMG, MP, are you sure about this? He won't kill you when he can??????
April 8, 2013 at 12:19PM   
busylady1
Hi Roo, I have started knitting again recently. I have just finished one of those cross over ballerina cardigan things for my little granddaughter. I would love to buy the girls those American girl dolls, because I like to sew and knit, but they are Soooo expensive over here, and I am not sure they would play with them ( they would be more for me I think!) I have not seen the patterns on Pinterest, must have a look!
April 8, 2013 at 12:25PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Mp... remind me not to get on your wild side...... (hiding the key to my work shop)
April 8, 2013 at 12:34PM     
mpoulsom
aww i think it would really cheer him up STK! And don't worry.....he's only 20 minutes away, I would NOT drive all the way to TN to organize you! lol! Please tell me you do not have stuffed animals and 3 empty birdcages hanging from the ceiling with no birds in them!!

Bob, he wouldn't kill me. He may be calling me a lot more though...asking me where things are! ha!
April 8, 2013 at 1:04PM     
mpoulsom
I started thinking about other things too....like his toilet probably needs to be replaced. It works, but it's from 1950 and is tiny and low to the ground. He's too old for that and it will probably hurt that new knee area for awhile if he uses it. No what I mean? But the bathroom is a whole other story! It has green tile from that same era. I would want to rip out the tile and redo all of that too. I could make this place look so good!
April 8, 2013 at 1:08PM     
mpoulsom
I'm laughing...I wrote "it's low to the ground." Low to the floor is what I meant. He doesn't have an outhouse! ;)
April 8, 2013 at 1:09PM     
Ha! I knew what you meant! Yeah, come to think of it, I'd like a taller toilet too!

You could always buy him birds, you know!!!
April 8, 2013 at 1:12PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
MP... my birdcages have stuffed cats in them......kind of like the old world warnings to thieves and such.... cage them up in an iron cage, hang em from a tree and let mother nature takes it's course.........nothing like a decaying body in an iron cage to get the message across clearly I'm thinking...........hmmmm maybe our ancient brethren were on to something. I'm guessing if we did something like that today the ACLU wouldn't go along with it......but damn, I'm betting it would be effective. Oh well.....that's another tangent we can leave in wonder land I guess.

My wife and I have divergent views on proper "rehabilitation" of society's less than civilized folks.

MP... good thinking about the toilet height.........trust me it's worth the $152 at HD for an ADA height replacement for your dad....... you're right, the first time he has to go and sits on that standard toilet, he's going to scream like a wild banshee in the New Orleans red light district on a Friday night.......and it ain't gonna be a happy scream. I think I broke windows during my rehab for knee surgery and that was at only 20% flex.......didn't have a replacement, but that was after 8 weeks in a full leg cast (an old gymnastic injury).......if you love your daddy, do him this favor, he'll over look any cleaning or organizing you do.
April 8, 2013 at 1:49PM     
"scream like a wild banshee in the New Orleans red light district on a Friday night".....I'm getting a visual image of that......
April 8, 2013 at 1:54PM   
kimdee24
Ohhhhh... STK, you have brought back some terrible memories of my first knee surgery. I was casted 10 weeks for ACL repair and had almost zero flexion and spent almost a year in rehab. That was 25 years ago. The last one (four years ago, same thing, same knee) they had me cleared for unrestricted sports in three months. Things sure changed in that time! But yeah, the higher height toilet would have been very helpful.
April 8, 2013 at 2:00PM     
olldroo
Calling bobbi - you are needed on this discussion please
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/419929#860221
April 8, 2013 at 4:08PM   
Got it, thanks, roo!
April 8, 2013 at 4:11PM   
olldroo
Morning all, now I have caught up on all the chatter - Kutchie, I couldn't find that article I read but I'm glad to know you haven't totally cut it out. My motto is "Everything in moderation". And darzy (welcome back, nice to see you again) I really worry just as much about drinks with no sugar as they are then sweetened with artificial sweeteners, which are all chemicals and not good for the body either.

I read last night where Margaret Thatcher had passed, but Annette Funicello????? Holy Moly she is my age!!! I just loved her and Sandra Dee when I was growing up, their lives seemed so perfect. I'm sure one of them got Parkinsons or something like that.
April 8, 2013 at 4:26PM     
It was Annette, she had MS, I think.
April 8, 2013 at 4:28PM   
olldroo
Yes, I just check it out and watched the CNN clip they put together recapping parts of her life. I knew it was something degenerative. So sad, she was really beautiful, even as she aged.

MP won't your dad have to go to rehab for a while after his op? BH went into rehab after his for a couple of weeks till he was moving freely so he didn't come home on crutches or anything. Do agree though, the mess just has to go. Do give him some respect, though, don't toss anything out until you have checked with him .......... please.

You can get aids to put over toilets to raise the seat level that would be a good quick fix. I had taller toilets put in our bathrooms as part of the renovations, I was sick of struggling to get up. There is a downside to them that is hard to put into words without sounding gross - although because your loos are almost full of water, it may not be a problem for you, but here we only have about 4 ins of water in the bottom of our bowls and because of the extra height, skid marks are a nightmare. It is constant cleaning.
April 8, 2013 at 4:45PM     
Skid marks! hehehe Yes, she was a pretty woman. For some reason I'm confusing her with Shirley Temple Black.
April 8, 2013 at 4:53PM   
olldroo
Hi Busy, we don't have American Girl Dolls here, but when Miss 6 first wanted one dd bought her a Gotz doll which is German and so much prettier but was around the same price as the AGD. Miss 6 has since saved her Christmas and birthday moneys and bought herself an AGD - courtesy of birthday parties at the store, she now knows where it is and regularly gets sent the catelogues which are like a bible to her. I have bought some sewing patterns for clothes for the dolls - more just to use up the stash of fabrics I have here, mostly left overs that are too much to toss, but I am determined everything is going. Same is happening with all my wool. Otherwise I just wouldn't bother making things anymore, dd gets things so much cheaper in the States it isn't worth the effort. Even on the internet now, we have bought some gorgeous outfits direct from China for ridiculous prices. I think Sears has stopped stocking the products now, but for a few years dd discovered they had a Dolly and Me brand of kids' clothes with matching AGD outfits attached and included in the price. At sale time dd was picking the outfits up for between $6 and $12, that is even dirt cheap for a kid's outfit alone. I don't know what knitting patterns are like over there but here a book of decent patterns is now over $20. Crazy!! That is why I went online looking. I just Googled "free knitting patterns for 18 in dolls" and got heaps of stuff. Trouble is it all in American in wool and needle sizes so I have to convert it all. I think we are with you.

I laughed at the photo of Boo and cousin in that jeep. It looks exactly like the beach buggy I bought Miss 6 for Christmas and holds 2 dolls. I don't know if I told you the story or not, but a few Christmasses ago Miss 6, after studying the AGD catelogue, decided Elizabeth, the doll, needed a wheelchair. I'm sure she had no idea what a wheelchair was but it came with crutches, a plastic "plaster" cast, sling, bandages, etc. and even a stethoscope and doctor's jacket for Miss 6. Anyway when Miss 6 went to see Santa with Elizabeth, she seriously told him she wanted a wheelchair for Elizabeth. When she left Santa, dd became aware of Santa furiously beckoning her so she went over and Santa looked at her incredulously and said "She wants a wheelchair? ............... for the doll??? I bet he thought he had already heard it all.
April 8, 2013 at 5:15PM   
How cute! She's really taking these dolls seriously, roo! Isn't that wonderful? I mean, we may not like them but it's definitely spurring her imagination. You go Miss 6!
April 8, 2013 at 5:20PM   
ONLY???
April 8, 2013 at 5:35PM   
TanCalGal
April 8, 2013 at 5:58PM     
olldroo
Bobbi, the prices are ridiculous. Fortunately there are copy-cats around that are every bit as good. I think I only paid about $US25 for Miss 6's, the wheelchair is blue plus it had more accessories including the doctor's coat and stethoscope.

I did let my head go with the Little Bloke last Birthday and Christmas and got him this - $175 plus tax!!!. He was forever taking Miss 6's dolls and playing with them so I bought him a copy-cat 18" boy doll the previous year - which he unwrapped and threw across the room, screaming it wasn't his present. He has since come to love it and his eyes were like saucers when he saw the boat in the shop so of course Nanna melted. Lucky with our $ being up it offset the "plus Tax".

In fact he has become so attached to his doll, SIL was away on business for a few days so the little bloke was sitting his doll in Daddy's chair at dinner time and pretend feeding it. First night daddy was home for dinner, he just moved the doll and sat down, not thinking. Little bloke threw his fork across the room, grabbed his doll and announced "If Alex isn't eating his dinner, neither am I" and stormed off to his bedroom.
April 8, 2013 at 6:06PM   
olldroo
J22 - you are a legend!! That is the best I have seen, it gives me everything at a glance. Thank you so much. Well I was right with the worsted, and I did see a sport but assumed that was an 8ply too which sport normally is here. I will copy and paste that to my Word, so I can print it out .......... when I get ink for my printer and get it all set up again, but at least I have it handier.
April 8, 2013 at 6:13PM     
olldroo
Ez - Barbie is still very much of this generation. Miss 6 has Lord knows how many, as well as numerous accessories, a pool and a playground, I get mudded with the 3 girls as to who has what. For some reason the AGD seems to appeal to a much wider age group, girls of 14 still play with them and even the 20 somethings collect them. I thought it seemed an American thing but LAdd has some Aussie friends working in the States for a few years and they latched onto them. They are back here now and are in their early teens and are still very attached to them.

If you look at the dolls, you will note they have a funny smile - I call it a sneer - the idea of the doll is that it matches it's owner, generally in skin, hair and eye colour, so if the owner needs braces then the doll gets them too, so the smile is to let you see them. I think dd said something the other day that Miss 6's doll now has her ears pierced too - they even do earrings for the dolls - although Miss 6 does not have her ears pieced fortunately.
April 8, 2013 at 6:26PM   
Ok, now that I have managed to successfully dump my dinner all over me, I can get back to the business of typing with greasy fingers.

Roo, no offense, but the little bloke would go without dinner in my home! LET'S NOT ANYONE FORGET TO FEED ALEX!!! Too dangerous :))

Everybody hear the joke - When I grow up I want to be Barbie, that b**ch has everything!
April 8, 2013 at 6:32PM   
No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain
the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.

In a recent linguistic conference held in London and
attended by some of the best linguists in the world:

Samsundar Balgobin, a Guyanese, was the clear winner.
His final challenge was this:
Some say there is no difference between“COMPLETE” and "FINISHED".
Please explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED
in a way that is easy to understand.

Here is his astute answer:
"When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE.
But, when you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED.
And when the right one catches you with the wrong one,
you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!"

His answer was received with a standing ovation lasting over 5 minutes
April 8, 2013 at 6:34PM     
Ha! Good one!
April 8, 2013 at 6:35PM   
Anyone still following this lively discussion? Somehow I managed to keep my big mouth shut, for at least most of it: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/427451/Countertop-choices-kitchen
April 8, 2013 at 6:49PM   
It's time to say my prayers.....and say goodnight.
April 8, 2013 at 7:01PM     
kimdee24
Good night, bobbi. I'm not far behind. Hope we both sleep well tonight.
April 8, 2013 at 7:03PM     
olldroo
Bobbi, I can assure you it took a while for dd and sil to compose themselves after that, the little bloke is a really good eater so to suddenly announce he wasn't having any dinner if the doll couldn't sit at the table too really stunned them. I thought it a lovely statement of love and loyalty.

Ez, I call it the Bucky Beaver look. Sorry I misunderstood you with Barbie, I thought you though they had gone out of fashion.

Night bobbi, how cute is Rocky!! I haven't looked at the kitchen thread, I don't get involved in them generally because I don't know the products and can't understand what they are talking about half the time.

Dave didn't appear today - hope he didn't have the stuffing knocked out of him too much.......... or maybe he got a free dinner after all.
April 8, 2013 at 7:55PM     
olldroo
Night, kimdee too. I must get some lunch, getting hungry.
April 8, 2013 at 7:56PM   
Ironwood Builders
I didn't get the stuffing knocked out of me...the guy is persistent though....keeps after me in every counter top posting now...says I'm a bully and ignorant and a bunch of other stuff....I just told him he should be glad for the support he is getting from houzzers and that it is a great community with room for all. I don't understand why he continues to think I am attacking him or his product..he is a HUGE fan of marble and I am not. Big deal. I am nancy on this now.
April 8, 2013 at 11:58PM     
olldroo
Feel your frustration, there really are some problem people here. Sounds like he is just too hell bent on selling his product to think rationally, of course he loves marble, the more marble sells the more he can push his product. Personally I wouldn't have it on my bench top at all I find it way too busy. A coffee table yes, is nice, but that is as far as it goes for me.

You're up early aren't you? Or haven't you gone to bed yet?
April 9, 2013 at 12:11AM     
Ironwood Builders
not in bed yet...typical for me...the drugs kill my sleep cycle. I took a long nap this afternoon..now...can't even close my eyes. Knew that nap was a mistake!
April 9, 2013 at 1:04AM   
That guy is persistent! And a hair annoying. Don't worry David, sleep is way overrated.
April 9, 2013 at 1:48AM     
olldroo
Dave, don't you just hate that. I never know whether to go with it until I get back on track or whether to keep going to bed at the normal time and toss and turn half the night, which I think only prevents sleep more. Do your best, sleep is really important for healing.
April 9, 2013 at 5:22AM     
Jayme H.
Anyone now if I should use marble in my kitchen...And Did u all have any clue how COOL soapstone is?
April 9, 2013 at 5:29AM     
Jayme H.
Oh sorry, that comment was so out of reality, WTH was I thinking?
April 9, 2013 at 5:30AM     
He needs to improve his people skills. And who is that person who pops up here and there and tells Dave "to chill"? I find that equally annoying.
April 9, 2013 at 5:42AM     
olldroo
Behave Jayme!!!!
April 9, 2013 at 5:48AM     
Ironwood Builders
I'm a little confused about the "chill" comment and the Clearstone insistence that I am attacking him and his product. I don't really give a horse's patootie about either. My problem is putting in ANY product I know to have problems. He keeps talking about the super wealthy using marble and his product....but as a contractor, I don't want to buy super wealthy people new counter tops either. I am careful about recommending slate and soapstone, limestone and marble too. All have specific clients that they can work for...but for a blanket recommendation? Why am I fixated on this? Maybe because for all the claims that Clearstone made about rudeness and being attacked...he was the one attacking and being rude to me, to Jayme, to feeny and to the counter top fabricator that weighed in. Sheesh! Nancy.
April 9, 2013 at 9:25AM     
David, somewhere along the line he felt the need to become defensive. I cannot see a reason for this, but he's new on Houzz and something surely went wrong for him, IT'S NOT YOU!!! Don't fixate on it anymore, it will drive you nuts. Just let it go, try to meditate (ooooommmmmmm) nobody thinks you did anything wrong, I promise.
April 9, 2013 at 9:28AM     
Lizabeth
Dave, clearly he was projecting and was out of line. Very annoying of him. We know you are the bigger person and ever so helpful to the masses on Houzz.
April 9, 2013 at 9:35AM     
Jayme H.
@ollldroo...Behave? Me??? Not likely..LOL!! Anyway....if u guys don't buy the countertop protector this guy just may ram some down your throat! Glad I'm not the only one who saw it...
April 9, 2013 at 2:07PM   
I saw Emily did an intervention!
April 9, 2013 at 2:37PM     
Jayme H.
Where? On that thread?
April 9, 2013 at 2:45PM   
Yes!
April 9, 2013 at 2:46PM     
Jayme, did you delete a comment? I got a notice that you made one and I can't find it!!!
April 9, 2013 at 3:10PM     
Jayme H.
Yes, I got two threads mixed up because I must be involved in too much drama lately..I started to babble about a different one that ticked me off!! LOL...I did see where Emily stepped in..Hope she didn't think I was causing trouble..didn't try to.
April 9, 2013 at 3:14PM     
I don't think Emily thought that at all! Emily's too sweet to think anything bad of anyone :))
April 9, 2013 at 3:17PM     
Jayme H.
So she's not jaded yet? LOL
April 9, 2013 at 3:49PM     
No, I can't see that happening!
April 9, 2013 at 3:52PM     
Jayme H.
That's cool..I don't know her yet, but she sounds heavenly!
April 9, 2013 at 3:55PM     
Basement idea
Need ideas for space, tight budget. Drop ceiling going...
Need help with dining room
It's looking ok but the wow factor is still missing....
What ONE thing do you hope your guests won't notice?
I envy the people who's homes are perfect and guest-ready...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
need help with colors
I need a good gray for kitchen cabinet (room has low...