Large wall small fireplace on a budget.
ktskipper
I have a small fireplace. If I could I would rip it up and start over.
My idea is crown molding and built-ins. Husband not liking the built-in idea. More I think about it the more i don't like the idea either. I don't want more stuff.
Thinking of getting a bigger tv. Right now it's a 42. Thinking about a 60.
One option is to paint an accent color for the TV / fireplace wall.
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 5:58AM
Jeanine Turner
If you get a bigger TV It will overwhelm the fireplace. I can't tell from this photo, but have you considered switching the room around so that the couch faces the long wall and put the tv on that wall? Then when you entered the room the first thing you see would not be the back of the couch. As far as an accent color is concerned. I would go with a soft green to bring in the pillow and throw.
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 6:12AM
ktskipper
Here is a picture of the room when you first walk in. I had the sofa against the window but it felt wrong.
Love the idea of a accent wall!!!
Here is a photo of the room when you walk in.
Thanks for the help!
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 6:21AM
fabgrl
One option is to replace the surround and mantle with something of a much larger scale. Why not re-do it? If you are considering crown moulding and built-ins, what's stopping you?
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 6:25AM
ktskipper
Would the insert look to small if I added a bigger mantel? I just didn't want to take out the insert.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 6:33AM
OnePlan
I was trying to find a picture - but i can't - I saw a fireplace like this where the homeowner / designer had pained the entire thing black - from floor to ceiling - including the fire surround was about 50" wide top to bottom with a large black TV - looked stunning !
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 6:39AM
fabgrl
No, I don't think so. I think the scale is off with the way it is now. The current uprights of the surround are too narrow. You could go with wider wood moulding and larger/wider stone area, too. Then the mantle gets longer. Do a search on Houzz for "traditional fireplace" and you will see what I mean.
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 6:43AM
JWinteriors
Imagine this fireplace, minus the cabinetry, in white. The crown moulding in the room would continue across the fireplace.
3 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 6:51AM
Jeanine Turner
I agree the couch would not look right in front of the window. I love JWInteriors suggestion.
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 7:05AM
dianahb
I have nothing substantive to add here, but I think that's a really pretty fireplace, and with that big wall-- you could do so much. Why in the world do you want to "fix" it by sticking a bigger TV up there? On so many Houzz posts here, I'm dumbfounded by this obsession to "decorate" a lovely fireplace with a big old TV screen. I don't get it.

I think built-in bookcases would be nice, and you really don't have to fill them full of stuff. I'm sure you have some framed photos or lovely pottery or a few books around? Even omitting some shelving and propping up artwork inside the bookcases would be very nice. I like the image JWInteriors posted. As you can see, the people didn't put a lot of stuff on those bookcases. I also think painting that one wall in a darker accent color might add some drama, too.

And while I watch TV-- definitely not against the almighty television set-- but why do people think that's a good look-- putting one over a fireplace? I'm really at a loss. They're serious eyesores. I feel like I'm living in some parallel universe where this other universe thinks that flat TV screens work like paintings. Very strange.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 7:10AM
Help! Feminine Home office needs color and excitement
This is a photo of my home office currently. I'd love...
Need help with my entryway
I have this rigips dressing in the entry way, and I...
trying to make a decision
please show me a updated bathroom thats installed a...
Wanting to put slate tile floor in entry way, hesitant, needing advice
Anyone out there used slate tile floor in entry way/walkways?...
Family room finishing touches
Need help with wall decor, lamps, pillows etc. note...