All natural?
nFORMAL design
April 8, 2013 in Photo Questions
This seems like there has to be some resin infill or your could fill all the spaces between the stones. Would that be correct?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Granite Grannies
Thanks for the question nFormal, but this is all real. That's what they do with the agate slabs, but this is 100% natural. If you look at this close up
you can see that the stones are all irregular shapes. This stone is a conglomerate typical of glacial erosion. The black is some sort of silt or sediment that probably washed over the stones after a glacier had tumbled them smooth. Thousands of years of pressure have compacted the stones and sediment into an incredible dense solid stone. You an see how some of the individual stones are more misshapen than others. Those were probably originally softer than the ones that stayed fairly round. The white vein running through the stone is quartz (the mineral, not the man made product), which you can't engineer to flow like that. You can see it better in the close up. This stone is quarried in Brazil and polished either there or in Italy. Pretty cool, right?
April 8, 2013 at 10:47am   
PRO
Granite Grannies
It's actually much denser than many other granites, and if you feel it, it has a unusually smooth surface (even for granite, which sometimes has invisible little pits that you can feel).
April 8, 2013 at 10:48am   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Gotcha...thanks for the info.
April 8, 2013 at 10:48am   
More Discussions
Back Splash on unusual wall
I don't know if I should continue the stone behind...
Help! Need to balance the room!
We'd like to completely redecorate & rearrange this...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
French limestone fireplace
Hello everyone :) I need some help about the fireplace.......
Entry Way Help Needed
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™