Color for garage door, shutters, front door-curb appeal!
vkilpatrick
Hi everyone, this is my friend and neighbor's house. She is looking to update it with some color-and needing some help for curb appeal. The brick is very light cream and the vinyl is white (both she is hoping to keep, for the time being at least). Wondering if she should beef up the pillars on the porch, and other other suggestions for this fun, young family!
Thanks so much for your time and help!!
TanCalGal
Beefier square pillars would be nice. I'd paint the garage door white and the front door black.
April 8, 2013 at 7:25pm     
karencronan
She should really think about painting the bricks and garage door white so it looks like it's all one house instead of a house chopped in half with 2 different color schemes. I would also paint the front door black and that way everything looks balanced and complete.
March 17, 2014 at 5:57pm     
Marcia Makoviecki, Assoc Broker, Coldwell Banker
Cute house! The haircut hedge under the left side of the house makes it look a little ummm 'awkward.' I'd take those out and install some pretty, taller, more natural plantings; possibly a few camellia shrubs, which have shiny green leaves all year round and gorgeous blooms in spring or fall, depending on the variety. Let them fill in a bit more of the blank white space under those windows . I agree on making the whole house white, front door black or dark grey, and fun accent color on the shutters that you could change often - maybe try a deep raspberry or deep teal. More substantial pillars would be great, or take them out altogether and pave the porch and sidewalk and sidewalk as one 'unit', and extend the pavers out into a deeper, more organic shape and landscape around it with some beautiful perennials.
April 27, 2014 at 9:15pm   
garden design online
The color arent ugly,add a pergola,a porch,plant hydrangea,boxwood,forsythia,hosta,fern...depend on the budget,they more work.
April 28, 2014 at 1:19am   
thiskidd
I like the cream brick and the gray garage door with all white trim. I would paint the white siding above the hedges the same gray as the garage door, keep the shutters black, and paint the front entry door black to match the shutters. Keep the roof line trim white. Paint the side wall by the front door the same cream as the brick if isn't already...can't tell from the pictures. If you want a pop of color, a bright orange front entry door would be a great option, instead of the black. The black is a classic, the orange is striking. Have fun!
April 28, 2014 at 4:44am     
Jim Hicks Home Improvement
Some of the comments here advocated painting the brick. As a contractor I'm not a big fan of painting brick as well as alterations that are difficult to reverse. You said that she didn't want to alter the brick or siding color at this time. However, if she was open to it I would replace the aluminum siding with a vinyl (or Hardieplank if the budget allowed) that was a similar color to the brick.
If the siding alteration is not an option, like you said, than I would work towards coordinating the colors of the trim, garage door, front door and shutters. I'm not advocating "matching" their colors, but if the trim and garage door were white, and the shutters complimented the front door, it would be a better look.
April 28, 2014 at 4:56am     
thiskidd
Hi Jim Hicks, I believe the brick is already cream either painted or natural stone. I was just recommending that the sidewall be the same color.
April 28, 2014 at 5:08am   
Front door/curb appeal
Can you please help me choose a front door. Style,...
Front door and shutter color for adding curb appeal
I am in the process of updating my house. We have re...
Beginning curb appeal. Front door and shutter color on a brick house
I want to add curb appeal. I have already relandscaped...
Curb Appeal Help! Garage Door Paint Color and Landscaping
My son and his wife need help in picking a paint color...
Need advice about garage door color and curb appeal
Need help choosing a garage door color (or leave them...
Adjusting a floorplan for walk-in closets
I've got a floorplan that I'm trying to adjust to give...
Does all the hardware in your house have to match?
Can I put oil rubbed bronze hinges and handles on my...
White kitchen cabinets.
We are painting our kitchen cabinets white. We need...
Need help choosing granite for cream colored glazed cabinets
We are doing a remodel after a water loss and need...
60" quality double sink vanity repos?
Can someone please recommend a quality white double...