Help with fireplace mantle
jadi
I am not sure if I like the clock and topiaries over my fireplace mantle. Please give your honest opinions. Would the clock look better without the iron design under it? Also can I add anything to make it look better? Maybe something on the sides under the clock? It just doesn't look right to me. Thanks for helping!
Purcell Quality, Inc.
Can we get an overall image of the fireplace, scale plays a large factor and it is hard to tell by what you have shared.

0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 11:04AM
leelee
While all 3 of your items are nice they don't make a great mantel display. Here are some mantels that have both clocks and topiaries but they're interesting and unusual. Pleasing to the senses. Go for it!
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 11:47AM
leelee
Is the scrolly wire actually part of the clock? I think it would look better without it especially if you're going to try and build a mantel like one of the ones above. You must have things around that you could try to get a feel for fun mantel. Take a picture and show us what you've got.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 11:52AM
jadi
Thanks for the ideas and pictures. The iron scroll is not part of the clock. I think I might like it better without it too. I am attaching another picture as requested. We are working on putting up wainscoting and plan to redo the fireplace. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated too! Thanks!!
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 8:29PM
jadi
If you click on the picture above it will show the full scale of the fireplace.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 8:30PM
jansgirl
I don't care for the scroll work and the topiaries/pots seem a bit small. I'd wait to accessorize if you are redoing the fireplace right away.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 8:38PM
erasistible
I like the fireplace the way it is. Ha!
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 8:41PM
pattiegoode
I like that FP! Consider painting it a Tuscany color with a faux stone finish. You posted, "It just doesn't look right to me." And there's your answer! If you don't like it, change it, because that's all that matters. Personally, I would want art instead of a clock over my FP. It looks like you are trying to work with the niche (which I like but would paint darker), but you could do a larger piece of art that covers the niche. Then you wouldn't need anything on either side of it. How are you planning to redo the FP?
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 8:56PM
Ed
Jadi, for our remodel, I got rid of the mantle completely (and replaced a wood-burning gas FP with a gas-insert :) Some ideas --
Pacific Heights Residence
MODERN
SD House
Friedman
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 9:22PM
jadi
Thank you, everyone! I am hoping to close off the niche. We haven't decided what we want to do with the fireplace yet. I think I will paint a darker neutral color after we finish the wainscoting on the lower half of the wall.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 9:52PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
Ed, great work on the contemporary fireplace. I wish people would be more receptive of these very beautiful and simple fireplaces. Very popular in Europe.
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 10:24PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
Jodi, it would be a good idea to remove the ironwork. And yes, I agree with jansgirl that the topiaries are a bit small. You can use some of the ideas on the mantles which Leelee sent, or look at some more - right here on houzz.com
0 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 10:29PM
leelee
I like your fireplace and the only thing I would do to change it is close in the niche. It's limiting your display ideas. Niches are sometimes a cool feature to have but not in your case. In fact, I think your fireplace would look better if the whole white area over the mantel was not white but the same color and finish as the walls. See the pics above that I sent earlier. If you're adding wainscotting sounds like you're more traditional in your tastes. Your topiaries are small only if they're the only thing there. You could at least use one in a display with other larger items. Go to garage sales and look for old picture frames and crystal vases or old books. Have fun.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 5:41AM
jadi
Thank you, everyone! I removed the ironwork. I am also going to fill in the niche. Hopefully that will help make it easier to decorate.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 10:59AM
Need help decieding whether or not to bick above fireplace mantle.
Our ceilings are 12ft. The hearth is 16 in high from...
berjaymar
TV above fireplace without a mantle - help!
Hi we have a heat&glo RC 300 gas fireplace without...
angmiddleton
Need help for my fireplace mantle
Where can I find the medallion plaque on the mantle...
ivyrechelle
with pets what floor is better
Hi I hesitate with handscrapped vintage oïl finish...
zacketnala
Need ideas for the living room
Any ideas on decorating this living room are appreciated...
Mayola Antony
Really want to replace dated bathroom suite - need advice!
When my parents moved into their house 14 years ago,...
gingerclaire
need to know any cool ideas for kitchen
i did an amazing bathroom by Everlast Construction,...
Jolean Amiru
wallpaper
plz help with wallpaper in this room?? or should i...
aaliya2122