Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamao1956

Same dining room; light questions

mamao1956
11 years ago
I decided to shorten the discussion so we don't all have to wade through so much. I like these light fixtures. What do you think?

Comments (103)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Ditto, hilltop!
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The rug arrived today. The weather here in the Kansas City area is pretty dark & rainy today so it is hard to see the colors very well. But here it is.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love the design, and particularly how the curves repeat the shape of the chandelier you've ordered. How are the colors working?
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Carolyn! I think the colors will be fine. It really is hard to tell right now with the weather. I'm having a hard time getting a good read on the background color - it almost looks like a variegated tan to off-white. Next step is paint colors.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ready to buy paint now and afraid to make a decision. Tone on tone stripes still sounds good. Two questions:
    1. Flat to gloss in the same color or flat to flat of similar colors?
    2. We were going to do gold, but now I'm worried that will be one more color in an already colorful house! The rug does have a gold/beige variegation background. Would we better off to do a beige with a gold tint?

Thanks for your opinions.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    What are the other colors in the house? I like the idea of using flat paint and glossy paint to create tone on tone stripes. Or, as you mentioned, you could use two subtle colors. What colors are nearby?
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Entry off the dining room is sw kilim beige. Family room straight ahead of the entry is faux green on green. The kitchen off the family room is red. Lots off blue glass accents in the china hutch.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is the china cabinet. The blue glass is from my mother - my husband is telling me I am NOT going to turn into her;) But you know what they say!
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh dear, Carolyn, did I make you pass out looking at all my colors?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    No, but I ran off to New Orleans for the national kitchen and bath show and haven't had much houzz time. Back tomorrow. Maybe broad stripes of Kilim Beige and a lighter shade of the green from the family rm.
  • dclostboy
    11 years ago
    The gray/green from the rug would look stunning and elegant on the walls in tone on tone stripes (base color with 10 percent darker).
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like dc's idea above, as long as the green looks good with the green in the fam rm.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Uh oh, just finished the base coat. Planning on Tone on tone stripes of sw restrained gold on the top and just plain below the chair rail. Hoping to use red in the chairs to pull from the rug and the kitchen. Also have a lot if blue in the china hutch that i would like to use as a second accent color.

Carolyn, hope you are having a blast in New Orleans and enjoying the show.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    DC thanks for your comment and it would have been great, but as you can see from above the room turned gold! Still have drapes and chair cushions to go, so chime in:)
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And we got the light up. With crystals or without, what does everyone think?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love the crystals and suggest you add more!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think the white part of the ceiling should also be gold. Then You could look for a chair fabric in gold, blue, red, and green and a solid light gold for the draperies which you could trim in the chair fabric.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like them too. I had some on the top "curl", but hubby wasn't too fond of that. If I put more on the bottom it will be only about 30 1/2 inches from the table. Right now with the crystals as they are it is about 32 3/4.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If hub doesn't tell you what earrings to wear he shouldn't tell you how many crystals to put on the chandelier. How do those two relate? I don't know but I like the sound of it.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carolyn, I love your sense of humor! He said to tell you he does tell me what earrings to wear (but he doesn't really). So if we added crystals to the bottom row would that make the light too low?

I love the idea of painting the ceiling gold, but it is a popcorn ceiling. I think I've pushed the guy as far as I can push for right now - he's not gonna scrape the ceiling for me!

We are starting to tape for the stripes - what a job that has turned into. We'll try the level again later but somehow we were doing better doing it with a ruler. Don't ask me why!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would dangle those additional crystals from higher up.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think he may raise the chandelier so I can put the additional crystals on the bottom. I just kept saying it was ok, not to worry about it and he decided it wasn't that big a deal:)

This is the same man who had his gall bladder removed and a colon resection for diverticulitis 13 days ago! Yes, I'm a slave driver. And no, he doesn't know the meaning of "cant".
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    As long as the iron portion of the chandelier is no lower than 30" above the table, you should be fine. I know you would prefer that he not insist on doing this.
  • hilltop1155
    11 years ago
    Macao, how close is the bottom of the chandelier to the table? I would love to see the same camera shot you originally used but showing the new fixture.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carolyn, you are absolutely right - I would prefer he not go to the trouble of adjusting the height. But he tends to have a mind of his own, so we'll see how this one turns out.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hilltop, we will definitely take a picture when we finish painting! The chandelier is 32 1/2 inches from the table top as it is now, if our math is correct.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    So that height is fine for the chandelier.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    While finishing the stripes (work gets in the way), I'm thinking of decor. We are thinking of moving the hutch to the wall where the mirror was, thus leaving the whole back wall blank. Considering moving the iron piece from the entry and hanging it horizontally. I have a box of Mother's Day plates from my mom that I've never displayed. I was thinking about putting some of them around (general term) the iron piece. Remember the blue in the hutch and that I want to pull some red in from the kitchen. Thought I could do that a little in the chairs and something on the table. Thoughts?

Have another idea involving a picture I have upstairs, but have to go to work now. Will post that later.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So after moving the furniture back in, I don't think I like the hutch on the side wall. Could still use the iron piece in the dining room, just not where I thought.

What do you all think?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Unless the iron piece is an authentic old iron piece, I'd not use it but would instead arrange the Mother's Day plates in an attractive pattern on the wall. You can see this in many houzz pictures. Look for "plates on wall".
  • Lorie Alexander
    10 years ago
    Your light fixture is dated and disappear 's. maybe get some detailed ,bigger light
  • Lorie Alexander
    10 years ago
    Forget my previous comment, came into the discussion to late. But, a mirror would look good on that wall.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 years ago
    I would go with any of Carolyn's chandelier recommendations. The proportion and style of any of them go beautifully with your dining table and chairs. The Home Depot chandeliers you are considering look a bit heavy with the glass shades.
  • hilltop1155
    10 years ago
    Are you thinking of putting the hutch back where it was before?
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

Hilltop, we did indeed move the hutch back to the original position - just didn't feel like it looked right on the side wall.

Tres McKinney, we went with Carolyn's suggestion of a light without the upright globes as you can see below.

Lorie, thank goodness you were coming in late! I was afraid you were talking about the chandelier that has been up for 5 days - thought I was gonna cry:)

Carolyn, with the hutch on the back wall I was thinking of putting 3 Mother's Day plates on each side. Still no to the iron piece on the side wall?

I could put the original mirror back up or I have a picture with some good colors, but would probably need to be re-matted. The original mat is a rust color instead of red. Yikes!! I thought this would get easier, not harder!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like the picture the way it is and would place it on one side and 6 plates on the other side of the china cab.
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Carolyn:)

I think the picture is bigger than that first photo made it look. It won't fit beside the hutch. I brought it downstairs and put it in the room to see compare the colors - here is another photo that shows the size better.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Too bad, so you can put the plateson one side or on both sides.
  • hilltop1155
    10 years ago
    Just throwing this in: I think I'd place three plates (vertical) on each side of the hutch. But then I confess to being a total symmetry type.

Maybe this picture would look good where you tried to put the hutch before?
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks hilltop. I was thinking the same thing!
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was afraid I'd lost my mind and only imagined the blue plates from my mom! After searching the basement for 2 days I finally found them in an unmarked box. There are 12 of the smaller size and one special edition that is a little larger. I like the idea of 3 vertically on each side of the hutch and then I will have several left over. I could put the rest on the empty soffit in the kitchen. Other ideas?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    They are pretty small so you may need to arrange 5 or 6 of them in a pattern on each side.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Just another option: Instead of hanging the plates, maybe a couple pair of shelves on each side of the hutch.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Plates can be arranged in various fashions, such as you see below.
    Dining Room · More Info

Eat-in Kitchen · More Info
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks LB and Carolyn; I like both ideas. I'm so glad I found those plates!!
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like this arrangement too, but closer together since the wall space is smaller.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    The one in middle hang 38" from top of table.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Or you could buy a couple of these plate racks, spray paint them to match your light fixture--ta da! Jo-Ann Fabrics
  • mamao1956
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh Nancy, I like that a lot!
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    You can probably find it at your local Jo-Ann Fabrics or Jo-Ann Etc store, if not, you can order online.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!