Does the granite table in the pool get slippery? or is there a way to finish to it's not too slippery?
ljs300zx
April 8, 2013 in Photo Questions
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
JDM Countertops, Inc.
It can be slippery when wet since it's polished, but it's not really meant for standing on (I know kids would be tempted, but i would discourage that). ;) There are things you can do to the finish so it's not so slippery. One finish is called honed, where the polish is taken off. It's still smooth, but not shiny (much like the travertine coping in the picture). You can also apply a finish called antique or satin to it. This goes one step further, and brings out some of the natural texture in the stone, as well as removes the polish. It still has what I would call a sheen to it, but there's added texture. Houzz has some great examples of this finish. Lastly, you can have it "flamed." Flamed granite is used a lot in commercial applications, especially outdoors. This is a highly textured and rough finish, and may not be the most comfortable to rest on. Although, it certainly won't be slippery....

Hopefully, that helps. :)
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 1:31PM
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™