Outdoor patio
mrandmississauga
We have put a door where a window was out from the kitchen and would like a patio with some privacy screens any suggestions?
TanCalGal
April 9, 2013 at 10:38AM   
mrandmississauga
thank you very much
April 9, 2013 at 12:02PM     
OnePlan
Bamboo grows fast and gives good privacy !
April 9, 2013 at 12:19PM     
If you are considering bamboo - please post and I can give you some planting advice to avoid disaster a few years down the line! But I love it!!!!
April 9, 2013 at 12:21PM   
Rosemarie
Never plant bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 9, 2013 at 12:40PM   
mrandmississauga
Thanks but We are in Canada I don't think bamboo is indigenous
April 9, 2013 at 12:50PM   
Bamboo can grow as far north as the arctic circle - but I think that is beside the point. I am not sure it would work in with this look.
April 9, 2013 at 1:03PM   
Oellien Design, Inc.
So,,,,,,now you have created 2 entry areas into your home and it might get very confusing for your guests. If I was working on this project I would review the details that are surrounding your home and let that speak to you on the details you are going to add. It looks like you have an arbor detail as you arrive to the front door of your home. I would take the grid effect of the ceiling of the arbor and create a fence like detail from that grid pattern (open design) that intersects with the corner of the house. Follow the lines of the concrete pad below your existing arbor. Plant on the arbor side of the new open fencing grid some sort of green climbing material. You could then install a raised deck area that you could come directly out from your kitchen area. Make the new screen grid fence wide enough that it echo's or aligns with the left edge of your existing arbor. Just something to think about.
April 9, 2013 at 1:12PM   
mrandmississauga
Thanks not sure i follow you though I know it may be confusing for guests but we wanted to have a patio we were tired on going downstairs to bbq ( A bungalow with walkout Basement) and bringing food upstairs to eat
April 9, 2013 at 1:39PM   
Oellien Design, Inc.
I guess what I am saying is the front door to you home the dark/black door?
April 9, 2013 at 1:53PM   
Oellien Design, Inc.
If the dark/black door is your front door you'll want to create privacy from the front door and that is why I suggest a screening detail that would give your privacy, feel open and yet provide the screening you need.
April 9, 2013 at 1:55PM   
mousemaker
if I understand, it looks like the perimeters of the patio need to be redefined in an easy and comfortable way. you need to be able to use the area entering and exiting your house and for guests. Since you already have a wonderful arbor, it could be expanded to include more of the patio (except for the cooking area) and plantings could be used for privacy on the sides.
April 9, 2013 at 1:58PM   
Oellien Design, Inc.
What I am saying is that you approach your residence at one grade level and that is under the arbor detail. Then, you step up and start to pivot to the front door. All I am suggesting you do is create a feature wall that repeats details of your arbor to provide unity to your entry design. The new feature wall would appear open and light, yet provide an area for things to grown through. You could then place an interesting planter or vessel in front of the new screen wall as an interesting object to view as you proceed to the front door. The new screen detail should align in height with the top of the new door. You might have to check with you community as to any CODE issues regarding fencing heights on the front of your property.
April 9, 2013 at 2:05PM     
mousemaker
wish I could tell the diff between arbors and pergolas :) I just googled "patios with pergolas" and there are lots of images that might be helpful or at least give you some ideas.
April 9, 2013 at 2:16PM   
Oellien Design, Inc.
Tak a look at this photo. What I am suggesting is a grid like fence design that will pick up or complement your arbor ceiling. Don't put that little raffter tail detail on the top. But the planter in front is what I am suggesting as a detail that could be interesting as you approach your home. I think this screening needs to be tall or align at the top of the new door.
April 9, 2013 at 2:34PM     
mrandmississauga
Thank you so much your ideas are wonderful
April 9, 2013 at 4:40PM     
Cozy Casita
Re. Bamboo .. Different types have different growing habits and not all have that crazy "I'm going to take over the entire neighbourhood" characteristic ! You can get some beautiful colour from them too, anything from green to gold to deep wine red.
April 9, 2013 at 5:04PM   
Cozy Casita
I used this firm, some years back, to order clumping bamboo to block the view of a neighbour's house (in one corner of a large back yard) and found them really helpful. Plants arrived in beautiful condition and grew exactly as described. I also used a deep red stemmed variety as a growing companion to a rapidly growing 'Betty Boop' rose bush that I had .. looked wild and wonderful and created a lovely Cottage Garden' effect in no time flat.
http://www.bamboogarden.com/Hardy%20clumping.htm
April 9, 2013 at 5:11PM   
Outdoor patios ideas
We took old concrete out and want to install a patio...
outdoor patio seating help
Hello Houzzers We have a medium sized (by California...
Small outdoor patio
Hi, I just painted my fence an espresso color. The...
Tiling a ceiling shower
Im renovating a basement bathroom which the shower...
Sue
Update look of all white brick house
What color roof, light fixtures, door?
Help Needed With Kitchen Faucet
Please suggest some faucets to go on our kitchen sink....
Which Paint Color for Golden Bamboo Floors?
I need your guys help. I just bought this unit and...
Need adjustable range hood
need a range hood that can be lowered down for use...