Stairway help please
artc1
Help please! Have selected natural color grade 3 maple floors in an open floor plan craftsman type home. All trim is to be painted white but interior door slabs will be stained a darker color. My cabinets are a darker rustic alder. My dilemma is our open stairway to lower level. Will have natural maple treads(one end exposed, rest carpeted) I am thinking of doing the risers and skirt board in the maple too and then the railings, baluster and newel posts in darker stained wood to match the doors. Not really wanting white balusters. There is a large window in the stairway which is to trimmed out in white. Can't quite picture this in my mind....would love suggestions ..need to order stair parts tomorrow. Thanks
AP Metal Designs
Can you post a photo of the stairway?
April 8, 2013 at 10:31pm   
Ironwood Builders
Andy..they're ordering stair parts tomorrow! artc1...I would keep stair parts painted like trim...so skirt boards are white as are risers. balusters ans handrail can read as separate...but in a "craftsman" home I would do the balusters and newel post white as well and the bannister in the dark stain of the doors.
April 8, 2013 at 10:38pm   
artc1
Sorry no photo taken. Thanks for ideas on the white riser, skirt and posts. I am feeling that it might take on a "cottage" type look with the white posts and the light natural floor. I do have a craftsman style entry door with 2 sidelights that will be right by this staircase-it is to be stained dark also. Would like handrailing to be darker-how about lighter to mid toned stained balusters and risers and skirt In the natural maple?
April 9, 2013 at 1:00am   
Ironwood Builders
I am responding out of my historic research into the Arts and Crafts period and the transitional times after. A reaction against all the dark wood in true Craftsman homes and the rising popularity of Colonial Revival led many homeowners to paint their interior wood white...all of it. So...when contemplating a new Craftsman home with a white trim color scheme, I go back to the pictures in my head, cataloged from magazines and books. So...white for the stair newel, skirt boards, balusters and risers. Stain for the bannister (and maybe the newel cap) and match the doors. Leave the treads and floors maple. keep it simple...that is the arts and crafts ideal. Of course..you don't have to listen to me...I'm one of very few posting at this hour and will soon be in bed myself. Just attempting to help you get your mind made up by tomorrow when you need to order stair parts.
April 9, 2013 at 1:14am     
artc1
Yes, I need to agree with you. I've been fighting this in my mind, but have been consistently recommended to proceed like your suggestions. My biggest worry was the white might just be too bright and stick out too much. I do believe it will look best with all my other trim. So here we go, it's white with dark handrails. Thank you again for your ideas.
April 9, 2013 at 4:55am   
Ironwood Builders
You're welcome..I think you got trapped into over thinking...I often do when dealing with the details!
April 9, 2013 at 4:15pm   
Help with colours for dining room table and console table!!
Hi! We need to buy a dining table set (to replace the...
How to modernize?
This might be impossible! I've finished redecorating/redoing...
Need help Choosing a Red Paint Color for my Living Room
We moved into a new home with a red living room. I...
Advice: hardwood vs. laminate wood floors
Renovating pier and beam house. replacing all the flooring....
Pairing a slipcovered line sofa with a leather loveseat
I want to increase my seating area. Would it work...