Interior doors - paint white or replace with white panel door?
lantana17
I am deciding if I should save money and paint doors white or replace all the doors with a panel door. I really like the panel doors but not sure if it's necessary since our doors are in good shape and can be painted. I am definitely going to replace the hardware. Probably going to do Emtek lever in black.
Ed
Lantana, for our remodel, I went the exact opposite direction: my previous doors were 4-panel, white painted, hollow, particle board doors (MDF?). My new ones are flush (like yours in the photos), doug fir, solid, stained (to a color similar to yours, but a bit lighter, less brownish and more orangeish). I also got all new hardware for the doors (Inox, stainless steel). I like the look of natural wood much better than the painted look. (May I ask what is it about the current doors you don't like ? )
I think it's pretty funny we're going the exact opposite directions. :)
   April 8, 2013 at 7:27PM
maureenwats
You might consider adding picture frame molding to the flat panels and then paint. It will look just like a paneled door. I don't have a picture, but in my last house I hired a trim carpenter to do this for a minimal fee and it looked great.
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 7:30PM
solraven
I'm normally a fan of white, panel doors over plain, wood grain doors, but you're doors are pretty nice. The grain looks nicer than most, and I think what makes them look less heavy is that the trim is painted white. I like the contrast.

However, if you are unsure, I would paint them. Paint one, two or three of them, see how you like it for a while, and then if they still aren't working, replace them. Paint is cheap, and not a large investment if you end up ripping them out afterwards.
   April 8, 2013 at 7:34PM
brody1313
I would change the hardware, black or oiled bronze levers will look great, then change the overhead lighting to coordinate w/hardware.....the doors go w/your floors and moldings
   April 8, 2013 at 7:35PM
sondramartina
We uaed to have same doors like yours but we decided to replace them all except one that we could bot find the size so we just painted it but i like new ones better. They were cheapest ones that we could have find in Home Depot.
   April 8, 2013 at 7:38PM
M J HAMPTON DESIGN
Clean single panel doors, painted white in a semi-gloss finish, with an Emtek lever as you mention...HUGE amount of look for the money. It's an architectural improvement, not just decorative...well worth the investment if you can swing it. Plain doors, even if they are solid wood, always remind me a bit of commercial design/doctors offices, etc.
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 7:40PM
lantana17
Maybe the grain looks nicer in the pictures. They are 30 years old in great condition but I feel like they are outdated. I prefer the look of wood stained doors but mine are too dark and think if we painted white it will brighten up the house and make it more contemporary. It will also blend with the trim. Here is a picture of the lever we are considering.
2 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 7:49PM
lantana17
This is the door we would want. It's a simpson redi prime door.
2 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 7:56PM
solraven
Oooo... that WILL be a big improvement! Nice choices! I love the handle!
1 Like   April 8, 2013 at 8:11PM
Ed
Lantana, I like the lever and 3-panel door you're considering -- nice and clean design. Your lever has a similar feel to the one we picked (satin stainless steel) --
   April 8, 2013 at 8:19PM
Jayme H.
@lantana...We just put those doors in our hallway, on three bedrooms, a bath and a closet...my husband is spraying them white..also new trim...looks great!!
   April 8, 2013 at 8:20PM
cpetriak
Painting them white will take the Contrast away and make them look stale. White raised panels will keep depth and be a much better look - Well worth the investment.
You will need to use a spray gun to paint these door so you don't see brush strokes or roll texture.
   April 8, 2013 at 8:20PM
moogers
I have a very similar one in solid oak. I didn't want to get rid of it because it was still in very good shape and was not cheap to begin with. When I moved my sewing/craft area to the basement, I had my carpenter put in roll out drawers for storage of patterns, trims, sewing books, etc. I also had him add a fold up ironing board that slides in and out. I can now iron as I sew, and when finished with my project, voila! Everything can be put back and stored and is hidden behind he doors of a nice piece of furniture.
   April 8, 2013 at 8:51PM
Bath tubs and Drought
I'm wondering whether the bath tubs will become dinosaurs...
Only two walls in Living room
My living room has only two walls , one of which is...
Help Wanted: Submitting An Article
Okay after much searching and much failure, I am asking...
Experienced dog owners,please help !
We got a puppy ,she is 4 months old now and my life...
Window Covering-motorized shade possible for wide window
For 3 windows 2660 that have an opening to be covered...