STAIR RAILING DILEMMA
iloveittwo
I really love the cable railings but I am afraid how they will hold up in a small hallway with kids. I have selected steel rods but Im not sure. Any suggestions?
Heimsath Architects
Keep in mind any sort of horizontal railing provides a good ladder for kids to climb on. Also, steel rods will bend if not sized correctly. Cables provide a little more flexibility, but have a different look because of they need to tension them.
April 8, 2013 at 7:31PM     
AP Metal Designs
If properly installed no kid will be able to damage a cable railing system. Like Heimsath said, they do create a ladder but as with anything that has the potential to be hazardous, you just have to explain to kids why they should not climb the cables. While I can only see what appears in your photo, it looks like the cable could terminate at the ceiling and you handrail could continue on up the stairs.
See attached photo for an example of a ceiling termination.
April 8, 2013 at 10:26PM     
iloveittwo
THANKS U ALL. THE KIDS WON'T B CLIMBING ON THEM BUT JUDT NORMAL DAILY LIVING BUMPING INTO THEM AND THEM SAGGING OVER TIME EAS MY CONCERN. U ALL CLEARED THIS UP FOR ME THOUGH, THANKS.
April 9, 2013 at 6:51AM   
iloveittwo
How often do cables generally need to be tightened? Can they pop or split under any circumstances?
April 9, 2013 at 6:53AM     
Heimsath Architects
I have not heard of popping or splitting happening, but we don't get to use a lot of cable railings. The material is usually quite strong and the tension needed to prevent the cables from sagging and to meet the code force requirements usually keeps the strands pretty tight.

Neat ceiling attachment in Andy's picture, ending a cable rail at anything but a full vertical is always a complicated thing and that is pretty elegant.
April 9, 2013 at 8:04AM     
mpoulsom
Love andy's picture as well! nice looking.
if you are really worried and want to have a modern look, you could do something like this as well. Just another idea....
April 9, 2013 at 8:16AM     
AP Metal Designs
I started building and installing cable systems about 5 years ago. I have never had a call back from a customer regarding loose cables. I mostly use Invisiwire tensioning hardware which only requires an allan wrench to tension the cables if need be.
April 10, 2013 at 2:35PM     
iloveittwo
THANKS U ALL
April 11, 2013 at 1:06PM     
iloveittwo
TERMINATING AT THE CEILING IS EXACTLY HOW IT'S GOING TO BE DONE. JUST LIKE YOUR PIC ABOVE. 3 MORE DAYS IN THE RAILINGS WILL BE INSTALLED.
June 2, 2013 at 6:57AM   
suzanne_m
Is there a danger that the kid try to put his head in between the cables?
June 2, 2013 at 7:03AM     
iloveittwo
YES KIDS CAN ATTEMPT TO OUT THERE HEADS IN BETWEEN THE CABLES.
June 2, 2013 at 11:02PM   
ncreature
Typically though there can't be more than 4" gap between cables or ballusters so as long as the cables don't have too much give you should be okay.
June 2, 2013 at 11:13PM     
iloveittwo
RAILING IS IN :)
June 6, 2013 at 7:04PM     
suzanne_m
It looks like posts not cables. Very nice! Thank you for posing new picture.
June 6, 2013 at 7:46PM     
mpoulsom
beautiful!!!!
June 7, 2013 at 2:19PM     
iloveittwo
IT'S RODS-POST. THANKS I HAVE TO DECIDE IF I WANT MY MAPLE HANDRAIL MATCHED TO THE LIGHTER OR DARKER PART OF THE FLOOR. WHAT DO U ALL THINK?
June 8, 2013 at 7:26AM     
iloveittwo
IM THINKING MAYB THE LIGHTER PART. MY FLOORS UPSTAIRS ARE THE SAME WOOD BUT A DIFFERENT LOT AMD THEY ARE LIGHTER.
June 8, 2013 at 7:32AM   
suzanne_m
I am glad that you did not go with cables ... even if they can't stretch, I would have been stressed about it. As for the hand rail, I would choose the darker color of your floor.
June 8, 2013 at 7:39AM     
suzanne_m
iloveottwo, imo you want the hand rail to stand out so having it darker, it would stand out for both floors.
June 8, 2013 at 7:51AM     
iloveittwo
THE DARKER PART OF MY FLOOR IS CHOCOLATE SO, WOULD I GO THAT DARK OR JUST THE DARKER CINNAMON COLOR?
June 8, 2013 at 8:46AM   
suzanne_m
I prefer chocolate.
June 8, 2013 at 8:59AM     
iloveittwo
THANKS ALOT SUE!! CAN U SHOW ME A LIGHT COLOR EXAMPLE?
June 8, 2013 at 9:02AM   
iloveittwo
MY DINIG ROOM TABLE HAS A CHOCOLATE TOP AND IT'S N THE SAME ROOM. OF COURSE I CAN ALWAYS SWITCH CHANGE THE TABLE BUT I CAN ALSO BUY NEW WOOD IF NEEDED.
June 8, 2013 at 9:04AM   
suzanne_m
If your dining room table has chocolate, I think it would be one more reason to choose chocolate for your hand rail.
June 8, 2013 at 9:07AM   
iloveittwo
IM NOT TO SURE ABOUT CHOCOLATE. I DO WANT THE HAND RAIL TO COMPETE WITH THE STAINLESS STEEL RAILS. I ALSO THINK CHOCOLATE WOULD STAND OUT TO MUCH. MAYB THE PECAN COLOR N THE FLOORING.
June 8, 2013 at 9:31AM   
iloveittwo
THANKS SUE FOR THE PIC
June 8, 2013 at 9:33AM   
suzanne_m
Actually iloveittwo, I looked at some images in the browse houzz and many have the hand rail the same color as the floor and it looks good. I think it is because the stainless steel posts are so different than the floor, you don't need another contrast, let the stainless steel shine!
June 8, 2013 at 2:07PM     
suzanne_m
I would put a hand rail the same color as the steps.
June 8, 2013 at 2:08PM     
Help with ground floor reno- guy who wants to show his wife he cares
I need help- I really want to help my wife and provide...
White bedrooms
Painting bedrooms with dark, natural baseboards and...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Cambria "fix" with Epoxy?
I just had Cambria Bellingham installed today. One...
Help with organising this space needed!
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here, a relative...