Master bedroom help!
jansgirl
I'd love some suggestions to finish decorating our forlorn master bedroom. The bed, chest of drawers and dresser need to stay. I like my neutral palette and prefer natural fabrics but I would like to complete the feel in here.

I've been looking at tall drapery panels for months now and they are all so expensive that I don't want to choose the wrong ones. I've never worked with pattern and am thinking that is what I need to add--I love some of the new simply patterned fabrics I've been seeing.

I've also thought about a jolt of color in a piece of art and one of the nightstands. Then I waver and dream about grays and golden yellow!!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!!!
jansgirl
Ps--I'll be painting this summer so that isn't an issue!
   April 8, 2013 at 10:32PM
jccbaker
You need a big, thick, fluffy bed cover. Something to make the bed look luxurious rather than just old. Spend the money on a really good bed-in-a-bag in a pattern that just calls to you. Then do your drapes/curtains in a solid color that pulls from the bedding fabric. (That way when you get tired of that bedding, you can just get another pattern that has at least one of the colors matching the drapes.) Don't let anyone talk you into painting the hope chest or rocker. If you can find more waterfall furniture, nightstands, dresser, armoire, etc. that would be nice. (Apparently there are a lot still available in the north.) If you can live without the fan, buy a fabulous chandalier. If you can't, get white blades. Don't paint the walls until you are completely through with everything else. Good luck.
3 Likes   April 8, 2013 at 10:52PM
jansgirl
Thanks, jc--not sure WHY I haven't looked at new bedding.....! My husband likes that thin quilt but surely I could find something better. i tend to like the "hotel" bedding but the thought of luxurious sounds very, very appealing.
   April 9, 2013 at 8:05AM
jansgirl
Or suggestions for drapes?
   August 17, 2013 at 12:13AM
Meagan Clarkson
I would put antique white shutters - can't beat them for window covering just ooze luxury
   August 17, 2013 at 2:42AM
cathieg
I'm so with jccbaker on every aspect. You do need drapes on the windows to soften the look.
1 Like   August 17, 2013 at 9:43AM
jccbaker
Find out why your husband likes the thin quilt. Is it because it's handed down from a relative? Because it's. white ? Because it's thin? Because it's not feminine-looking and he's afraid you'll pick something "girly "? That might give you some insight.
   August 17, 2013 at 10:02AM
Need kitchen flooring help
I have a old house build mid 1950's...I have gutted...
Can shotgun hallway be different colors
Modular home with shotgun hallway from sunporch to...
My living room
We recently painted our living room gray to match the...
need help with bathroom fixture
have large wooden oval mirror, 27" wide (@widest point)-want...
Need help for my Harvest Fire mantel decor
I have all these glass pumpkins and gourds, some light...