Need help for open plan family room.
drhms
I want to redo my family room, which is a medium sized room off our kitchen and eating area. We spend most of our casual TV time in there. I want a sectional sofa w large square ottoman. We will lower the mantle and place the TV above. Do you think a sectional will cut off the entrance from the kitchen too much? Can anyone suggest a configuration? Thanks!
drhms
I also need some drapery! Yikes! Thinking bamboo blinds first. Drapes to add later.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 11:14AM
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
It appears as though a sectional would definitely block the entrance to the kitchen. I recommend purchasing two identical sofas and placing them opposite each other on either side of the fireplace. Since you will be placing the television above the mantle, people sitting on either sofa will have a good vantage point. I would also use the blinds you have and purchase new drapes first--they will have much more of an impact.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 11:30AM
OnePlan
It looks a charming room ! Totally agree with the suggestion from Wendi !
Is that another leather sofa in the room already ?! Why not have a move about and try it! The lovely wing chair and foot stool may work well directly opposite the fireplace in the centre at the back ?!?
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 1:17PM
For those who like to lounge about when watching TV, one sofa perpendicular to the FP should work for them. For those who don't want to sit with their heads turned I'd prefer one of the sofas face the TV. I'm seeing chairs on the window side and sofas opposite, in an "L." Watch for low backs to prevent blocking things off too much. We can't see the TV now, so I assume it it on the wall to the right of the FP. Would you care to take a pic? If we can't see all the walls, we can't make solid suggestions.
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 2:01PM
drhms
Here's the other side of the room. There is an opening to the hall. It is asymmetric so two sofas facing would not be symmetric. I have two tallish arm chairs in the garage I'm thinking of reupholstering and placing where the TV is now, with chest or something in between. Thanks for looking! Hopefully I'll have a fabulous after to post. PS- this is the leather furniture my husband brought when we got married that I hated then... Our 14th anniversary is next week and ill say it has held up past babies and toddlers and puppies but it is tired...
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 2:48PM
I see what you mean. Have you considered a sofa on that TV wall? Then use your lounger (if you're keeping it) and the two chairs you're recovering to "circle 'round the campfire" on the perimeter edges of the rug. I know it will turn out fine - you have great taste and have managed with these for 14 years, so it's time!
0 Likes   April 9, 2013 at 4:29PM
Bedroom - finished?
I love love love my bed! I'm just wondering how you...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Saying Goodbye to Sentimental Objects
I read the article on the ten steps to saying goodbye...
Cedar ceiling in nursery, help with wall color!?
We bought a beautiful home last year but the cedar...
HELP!!!!! We need your advice on our kitchen remodel.
We're trying to figure out if we should take a risk...