Tile Question HELP
ruburr
I am doing my bathroom in white subway tiles with a chair rail at the top.

My question is that we just noticed that the lot number for the chair rail and the subway tiles is not the same. it is the same manufacturer. They are both white tiles.

My question is whether we will notice a difference in colour. We cannot get any more of the chair rail as it is on backorder. Do we proceed, or look for a whole new subway tile and chair rail together.
creeser
Can you tell the difference in the whites? Being a different shape, I wonder if you would really notice?
April 9, 2013 at 5:03pm     
ruburr
that is what i am thinking too. I thought there might be a tile expert on tonight who could help
April 9, 2013 at 5:30pm   
Ironwood Builders
We just tore out every corner of a bathroom because the trim pieces didn't match perfectly. Every inside corner of the cap was slightly pink. Yikes! We are almost done! So if color lots do not match...wait or get a different tile!
April 9, 2013 at 10:58pm   
Ironwood Builders
Then there was the time we had to tear up the entire floor in the kitchen because the tile lots changed in the middle of the pallet. Don't.
April 9, 2013 at 10:59pm   
Ed
Ironwood, is the lot number something like a serial number, or like the "batch" number (?) I seem to remember hearing about on paint cans ? Is it only printed on the paper packaging around the tiles, or is it "hard-coded" on the back of each tile ? (Just curious, thanks. :)
April 9, 2013 at 11:19pm   
sjkingston
Aren't "lot numbers" tied to a particular product run, so if you're looking at subway tiles and a chair rail tile, I wouldn't expect them to be the same lot numbers. You look for lot numbers in the same run like subway tile to subway tile. Best way to match different products from same manufacturer is to examine samples from each in several different light conditions to see if they are acceptable.
April 9, 2013 at 11:19pm   
Ironwood Builders
Ed - Dye lots are printed on the tile box or carton. Every dye batch is ever so slightly different...so if there are days between runs of tile and that particular color...nothing from the previous batch is a match. Manufacturers run all sizes and trims in a lot...sometimes they run out of a trim or a size and the tile wholesaler throws in what they have in stock...or the manufacturer does!
April 9, 2013 at 11:21pm   
Ironwood Builders
for instance, in my bath at home I have 6X6 base, 3X6 subway tile, 3X6 bull nose, a decorative cap and a cap outside corner...all from the same exact dye lot...100% match.
April 9, 2013 at 11:26pm   
Ed
Ironwood, thanks -- so when you ordered your 6x6, 3x6's, you specified they must be from the same lot? Or, you just waited for the order to come in, and you would accept or reject it depending on whether everything came from the same lot? I also noticed slight differences in some of my bathroom tiles and the bullnose tiles. But I did not order the tiles myself; a sub-contractor tile person did, and I did not know about the lots at that time. :)
April 9, 2013 at 11:34pm   
Ironwood Builders
Oh yes..I specified. Did on the job we are finishing now...so much for specifying. My tile guy is getting it right...backing up the quality work we expect and pay for.
April 10, 2013 at 12:03am   
creeser
See, I was thinking like sjkingston in that the dye lot was only for that particular size tile. Trim pieces would be dyed in a different lot.
April 10, 2013 at 4:39am   
Help! Question regarding heated bathroom floors and offset tile
I just ordered my 13x20 floor tile (porcelain) for...
Tile questions?? HELP!
I posted info about an ensuite we are developing. I...
need help with tile gloss question
I have laid tile in our house that looks like wood…am...
Need to match area rug to this pattern
This is the Waverly bedroom comforter set I chose and...
Suggestions for roof color & exterior paint color?!
We are remodeling an older home, and tackling the exterior....
advice on flooring material choice
Remodeling kitchen and am wondering about bamboo flooring?...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Outside window garden.
When I sit at my computer desk I look out to the backyard....