Schizophrenic in Naples, Florida
politicalgirl
First let me say I LOVE COLOR, but I am tearing down a wall between the kitchen and the living room. How can I create an art deco Miami style kitchen using mostly muted colors and still add a pow of color I like without knowing what my living room is going to look like? I am doing an entire house remodel. The kitchen is first. Please look at my idea books. Thanks
My gut reaction is don't! Think about a colour palette you want and then stick to it. Believe me it is going to save you loads of time energy money and pain.

If you want the Miami style - base everything in white or cream and then choose your accent colours (which can be added in furnishings, pictures and accent walls, even cabinet facings) later.

It is so important to have the vision of where you are going before you take that first step. I have looked at your ideabooks and it is clear that you do love colour - but keep your bones simple and then add the colour later (or when you have a complete vision of where you want to go)

All the best for this project.
April 10, 2013 at 2:31AM     
politicalgirl
Ok. My other concern with choosing a color pallet for the kitchen is that I might date it and we want to sell the house in 3 - 5 years. If I choose the glass counter (I like the pale teal) it may make it difficult to sell. Or should I just go for broke and do what I like? the reason I ask is I also like the metallic back splashes which add that pizzazz I want in the kitchen without adding color but I spoke to a designer who said "You don't want to do that, its been around for a long time, and its on its way out" when I pressed him about it he said "it will date your kitchen" that's what got me thinking about it...ughhh
April 10, 2013 at 2:54AM   
If you plan to sell in 3-5 years, keep everything as neutral as possible, then add color with accessories.
April 10, 2013 at 3:24AM     
rinqreation
White kitchen cabinets, stainless appliances&hardware, sand-beige composite countertop, pearly backsplash, deep brown wooden floors throughout the rooms. Add some color with deco and wall paint. Sounds good to me :)
But please do think of the house as a whole, it's ok to start with 'just the kitchen', but then your entire plan should go from there (even though there are many ways to go if you start out with a white kitchen). It's easier if you have some ideas on the rest of the living/dining area too.
Statements Tile - Melange Chiaro
Miller Kitchen
Kitchen
Furnace Townhouse
April 10, 2013 at 4:16AM     
OH, that statements tile is delicious!....Bobbi
April 10, 2013 at 5:35AM   
michigammemom
Take a look at this classy Miami penthouse. It is neutral and sleek with white leather, chrome and glass and sculptural light fixtures.
April 10, 2013 at 5:50AM     
DESIGNING NAPLES
The most "edgy" way to add color to a more neutral setting (by the way our neutrals are rapidly morphing from taupes in to more "grey tones in the taupes" and then to greys altogether ... And for a "Miami" look is to put your color accents into your lighting ... Check the web site for www.edgelighting.com" and go to the LED color strip lighting ... Place it under your bar toe kick, or under the bar counter ... Inside the crown mouldings if they are recessed ... And you can actually "dial" the color you like best and leave it there ... Go towards the aqua (think Miami, think water)!
Sarah Anderson ASID
DESIGNING NAPLES
July 24, 2014 at 9:43AM   
How should I upholster dining chairs
We have an open plan kitchen dining area with two antique...
Creaky hardwood floors
We chose Kentwood Acacia pre-finished solid hardwood...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Front doors.
What would be a good color for our front french doors?...
can you put wood rails on sides of deck and cable rail only on front ?
I have a deck that is pretty high up and neighbors...