What can I do to make this bathroom more exciting??
Audra 5909
We just bought a house, and I have a design plan and paint scheme for every room, but for this main level bathroom I am stumped. It's "fine" the way it is, just kind of boring and won't really fit with the updates we're making to the rest of the house. Any suggestions? The only thing I know I don't want to change is the counter top.
Samantha Parsons
Perhaps you could show some other design inspiration pictures of what look you are going for.

I think between the floor and vanity's wood, I would try to paint the vanity, I tend to prefer dark so Id do a mocha color, but you could pull off white as well if done right.
April 10, 2013 at 5:41AM   
Audra 5909
Sure! The bathroom is right off the entryway, and here is the color scheme we're going for in the main part of the house. Gray walls and white trim, mostly darker furniture.

The lighting in the bathroom isn't great, so I would be worry between that and the wood floors that a dark paint color would close the space is, but I could be wrong.
April 10, 2013 at 5:45AM   
olldroo
Forgive me if I say it is a little dead - it definitely needs some colour, there is just too much brown. Can we have some more photos of the room please.
April 10, 2013 at 5:46AM   
Audra 5909
Sorry, that's the only photo I have.... we haven't moved in yet! EVERYTHING in the house looks like this. Yellow-beige walls, wood trim, just browns everywhere. We're painting everything, but I've used up all of my color scheme ideas on the other rooms
April 10, 2013 at 5:47AM   
olldroo
Wow, that entry way is gorgeous. What about a pale sky blue colour, nothing with grey in it or it could go drab, but it will be nice with the grey outside and blue always looks nice with brown.
April 10, 2013 at 5:49AM   
olldroo
Oh good, I'm glad that lamp isn't yours, it so adds to the monotony of it all.
April 10, 2013 at 5:50AM     
Amy Stanley
I feel like you could brighten that vanity up by switching out the faucet to either a brushed nickel or chrome and adding matching hardware to the cabinet itself. The mirror could be swapped out as well to a nickel/chrome framed instead. Then you could change the wall color to a grey with beige undertones so that your top didn't look out of place. Add a vanity light if there isn't one allready as brightening up the room will help tremendously.
April 10, 2013 at 5:54AM     
Yolanda Ruiz
I agree with Amy Stanley. In fact, for the second picture you've shown us as an example, this is the look you're searching. Besides, if you want to add some colour you can always put in that empty wall a vinil stick, it's always an economical solution.
April 10, 2013 at 6:02AM   
Audra 5909
Thanks for the recommendations! Actually, we plan to use a Greige paint in the nearby kitchen, so I think that will work nicely! Changing out the faucet will help too, I like the idea of nickel/chrome. And brightening up the vanity will help a ton too. We'll eventually change out the overhead light fixture to something brighter, but it's not a priority and with new paint hopefully we can hold out. THANKS!!
April 10, 2013 at 6:09AM   
mpoulsom
I think you should add a wainscoting to the bottom part of the walls to give it some more architectural detail. And I think I would paint the vanity cabinet maybe the color of the table in the foyer pic IF there is any grayish/blue tints in the counter top???? If not, maybe just a creamy off white color for the cabinet and the wainscoting, then do another darker color on the top of the walls.
Heck just read the comment about the greige...do that on the upper part of the walls! and then do a darker shade of it on the vanity cabinet and do the wainscoting in the off-white. :)
April 10, 2013 at 6:11AM   
Parlor Arts/ NYC Wall Finishes
This is a photo of a small powder room I finished recently. They had a similar palette to yours in the adjacent hallway. I used a custom very pale blue/gray on the walls, a cream color bamboo stencil, and what really made the room was the metal leaf finish on the ceiling. They had a window allowing natural light in, but the metal leaf ceiling made it feel much brighter too.
April 10, 2013 at 6:22AM     
Warner Decor
Hi! I think I would add wall art with a little color to the mix. Here are a few options:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/antique-finials-set-3/
February 16, 2014 at 3:09PM   
suzie123
My thoughts are that the colors are all too similar. You could also add some texture so it is not as plain. Maybe molding or wainscoting on the bottom. It is difficult to see the coloring of the granite top but paint either the wall or molding with a color you see in the granite. I would keep the other half of the wall light - white or pale gray so that there is a bright crisp feel. I would also add hardware to the vanity and possible a chandelier or a more glamorous mirror to brighten it up.
February 16, 2014 at 3:16PM   
Mark Bischak, Architect
A window with the sill about 18" above the floor would make it more exciting.
February 16, 2014 at 5:41PM     
Paint the woodwork white and follow through with a much darker or much lighter version of the paint in the adjoining space. See if instantgranite.com could help change the look of the countertops. Not sure they can but it might be a color change solution.
February 16, 2014 at 6:01PM   
rocketjcat
Love the idea about wainscoting at the bottom to add some interest. I used Martha Stewart paintable beadboard wall paper and it changed the whole look of my foyer bath. I left it white for a more cottage look, but you could paint it your grey color to blend in with the foyer and kitchen and be more subtle. No one knows its wallpaper that I hung myself.
February 16, 2014 at 6:33PM   
FaucetlList.com
You can make some minor changes that might help a lot. For example, upgrade to a more modern looking 1 piece toilet such as a Fresca Delphinus White Modern One Piece Dual Flush Toilet w/ Soft Close Seat: http://faucetlist.com/Fresca-Delphinus-White-Modern-One-Piece-Dual-Flush-Toilet-w-Soft-Close-Seat.html Perhaps you could also update your Sink Faucet with a more modern finish like oil rubbed bronze which seems like it would still match your decor. Check out this FS1975APL Kingston Brass Oil Rubbed Bronze 2 Handle 8" Widespread Bathroom Faucet with Pop-up http://faucetlist.com/FS1975APL-Kingston-Brass-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-2-Handle-8-Widespread-Bathroom-Faucet-with-Pop-up.html
February 20, 2014 at 3:15PM   
Exterior colors for our organic modern river cabin
We are in the process of building a house and I am...
Furniture
I own this rug from lowes and I am in the process of...
Bathroom vanity - supporting a marble top
I'd like to buy a vintage dresser and retrofit it for...
Kitchen design
Need help decorating my kitchen. This open space leads...
Need help on a kitchen wall color...
The oak cabinets will stay, and the feel is rustic...