Need help with espresso/dark brown wood floor stain mix

blalwaniApril 10, 2013
Hi...I'm hoping the Houzz community will be able to help. We have 3" oak unstained oak floors in our new house. We are looking to stain them an espresso or chocolate brown color. We haven't been able to achieve the look using Minwax Espresso (looks too red). Has anyone tried the Varathane Espresso or can anyone recomend a mix of stains to get this look? I have attached a picture of what we are trying to achieve. Thanks!
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
If espresso looks red on your floor I am guessing that you have red oak floors instead of white oak. I hope you have some left over wood to play with until you can get the color you want. If you have red oak, one trick you can use is to take fruitwood stain and add other stain colors to it. For some reason it has a tendency to play down the red tones of red oak. You do have to measure everything you do so it can be recreated. Might want to try fruitwood and espresso as your first combination and see if that helps at all. Another option might be to take a brown (like Jacobean) and add it to fruitwood and then start to darken it by adding small amounts of ebony. Do all of this on test boards and write down the exact formulas as you go. Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 2:37PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
are you doing your own hardwoods? if not your floor should be able to help with this. Usually if you go to paint stores or stain stores they should be able to help you get the right stain. Some times they will dye the floors first to get rid of the red and then stain.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:22PM
Lawrence Keck
Mixing stains will create your own personal custom color. Also. Once u get the color u like do a top coat of ploy to see the end result.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:22PM
makeup_mirror
I had walnut installed and they stained them too light honey. I aksed them to comeback. sand a piece of the floor in the direct sunlight. an area of about 6-6" Then give me "please" dark walnut. No red...very little golden if any.
We settled comfortably on the darkest shade. A good floor co. will be happy to do this. Well maybe not happy but if they get the job...great. I also asked them to keep all three sample shades in semi to matte tone. They did so that at least I had only shade to choose from. Depending from knots and whatnots on the flooring the darker you will want to go...good luck.....mine look just great. Dark walnut...it's the best.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:55PM
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Most hardwood floor installers will match stains for you, and put down samples. If yours can't, just take an extra floor plank to a good paint store (such as Sherwin Williams or an independent paint store if you have one) along with the photo of the floors you like, and they will create a custom stain. Depending on how well your wood takes stain, they may have to use a special product to achieve the look you want. Minwax stains will only get so dark. Duraseal does better, and the Sherwood Dye Stains better still.
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:19PM
Ed
blalwani, Congrats on your new home! Could you post photos of the floors Before (unstained) and After (stained and finished), and the products you finally decide on. Just curious. Good luck! :)
    Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 11:27PM
blalwani
Here is a photo of our unfinished floor. It's 3" oak flooring.
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 4:56AM
Ed
Thanks! Look forward to seeing the finished dark new floor! :)
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 5:45AM
ivy1430
Looking for a similar floor color!! What did you come up with??
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:45PM
blalwani
We wound up going with a minwax stain - dark walnut. 2 coats of stain and polyurethane satin finish. The floors look great. Good luck!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:14PM
kathyk10
Can you post a picture of your floors with the dark walnut
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 3:35PM
blalwani
Here are the finished floors. We are very happy with them.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:21PM
blalwani
It looks a little lighter in the picture than they really are.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:22PM
dlanier1
We installed 2" oak in our upstairs and I also was trying to achieve a dark look similar to the inspiration photo you posted. We ended up with 2 coats of an ebony stain that looks almost identical to your photo. Some how the ebony ended up looking espresso and not black.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:33PM
kathyk10
Thank you. Beautiful floor. Which brand of stain did you go with and did you do a satin or gloss finish?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:34PM
kathyk10
I just saw you went with minwax
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:35PM
dlanier1
We used Mimwax and did a satin finish. I wanted a gloss finish because its more formal but with a dog and a new baby my installed said that the gloss would show every fleck of dust and strand of dog hair. I'm happy with the results. The 1st pic is unfinished and the 2nd is the final look. The others are just random areas of the house.
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 8:09AM
dlanier1
The final look is dark but not black.

BTW- it is SO hard to find photos of the floors without rugs.
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 8:17AM
chanasyk
What are the names of the wall and accent colours? Stunning!!
    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 9:39AM
dlanier1
Those were the colors that were there when we bought the house. The rooms look nothing like that now. My daughters room is now blue and there is a large area rug over her floors.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 10:00AM
Sabrina Nicosia
How did you achieve the look, the one with the darkest floor (the pic with the bay window) I am trying to achieve the same look and have your exact reference picture on my pinterest. Just bought a house but not sure what original flooring is, think it is oak. I want to get the floors to look solid dark. It looks like you pulled it off in that photo
    Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 6:51PM
Ami Shah
Hey there! This photo is my inspiration for the stain for our 5" white oak floor. Our minwax ebony looks flat brown/black, 50/50 ebony/antique brown looks a little more dynamic with hints of red, and the 50/50 Jacobean/ebony looks light brown. Dlanier1, what stain did you guys use? Anyone with photos of 2 coats ebony on white oak floors?
    Bookmark   November 21, 2014 at 12:41PM
Dark stained floors vs dark stained cabinets for kitchen?
We don't have much natural light in our kitchen and...
sarval
Bathroom. Espresso and gray granite. Ideas for floor and wall ?
Need ideas for floor and tub wall. The only sure thing...
pman6
wat color kitchen cabinet -not white - dark brown floor black counter?
i want to know which color kitchen cabinet works best...
lijo3
Dark dark trim... Paint or not to paint??
The original paint in our house is dark and heavy....
Maria Anuszewski
kitchen wallpaper today popular/
should I remove the flowered wallpaper from my kitchen?...
Norma Meshkov
Need help with my bathroom
White stool, white cabinet, white tub
charjean1947
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
theruts
Any suggestions for window treatments for over door windows triangle s
Windows are triangle over the door and need treatments...
Bobby Dorsett
Need back splash!!
What kind of back splash should we put in this kitchen?...
nikkiz66