Need your opinion for my stairways
Aina Bulebayeva
Please give me your opinion for my stairways, here are the photos. We are just building and I would appreciate if you tell your opinion and note mistakes in designing/ color. I love looking ideas on this site. Thank you for your advice in advance.
Dawn Ridler
I think its perfect. The lights look a little lost, but a nice feature on the wall will bring those in.
3 Likes   April 10, 2013 at 11:20AM
Aina Bulebayeva
Thank you very much, Dawn!
   April 10, 2013 at 11:35PM
Stamps Design Services
I am not saying you should change anything, but here are some examples you can look at... Your home should reflect who you are!
1 Like   April 10, 2013 at 11:42PM
Ed
Aina, very pretty. Good job! :) I'm curious -- are the stair lights on a timer (auto-on and off depending on pre-set hours?), or, on light sensors, or, just a simple on-off switch. :) Some ideas, for future reference :) --
Lake House Two - Stair
Pandan Valley Condo
Stairs with glass risers and LED lights
Glass balustrade and LED lights
   April 11, 2013 at 12:00AM
klmt
I agree about the lights, but when you add art, family pics, tapestries or whatever you have in mind for the walls, I think the current perspective on the sconces will be rectified. The only thing I would change is the 'reading nook' set-up you have beside the base of the stairs. The space is just too narrow. I think you'd be better off with just a narrow console along the wall with a couple of lamp and something decorative, or a long, shallow chest of drawers to use as storage for odds & ends - again with a lamp and something decorative - fresh flowers are always nice. But my favorite solutions would be a book case - or if there's room to use it, a narrow desk with chair.
1 Like   April 11, 2013 at 12:05AM
I love the simplicity of it - very elegant. Don't touch anything on the upper stairs.
I would move the chair and lamp further forward (and perhaps place it against the wall. In design, I like to see a real function for a chair and not just as a filler. In this scenario I don't think anyone would actually sit there.

Or remove it altogether and add a runner rug.
2 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 12:07AM
varonjy
I actually really like the reading nook - even if no one ever will sit there ;) It looks just right there, in my opinion.
Would add some pictures, maybe in black-white or sepia. On the stairs & behind the chair.
Don't know what to think about the lamps; no idea how the rest of your house looks like, if you go for more red, they're ok, if you stay with neutrals, they may be a little "much of a contrast"...
   April 11, 2013 at 12:14AM
Aina Bulebayeva
Thank you very much for everyone! I didnt expect so many feedback. Thanks a lot again. It is our first home after renting so many years. I am so excited and looking and looking for some ideas to improve. The lights are regular on and off switches. Actually, we are changing it like in the following picture, this way we think there will be more lights?!
1 Like   April 11, 2013 at 3:52AM
Ed
Aina, Congrats on your first home!
I see -- those are not actual photos of the physical staircase; rather, they are all 3D computer rendered ideas ? So nice! :) Another beautiful stairway --
Larkin Street Residence 1
Larkin Street Residence 2
Larkin Street Residence 3
Larkin Street Residence 4
   April 11, 2013 at 4:01AM
Aina Bulebayeva
Thank you! ed, what do you think steel or white railing stick better?
   April 11, 2013 at 4:11AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
The proposed wainscoting and detailing is in better architectural harmony with a painted baluster then steel. If you were not going to use the all of the architectural trim then a metal baluster would be great. Enjoy building,
3 Likes   April 11, 2013 at 4:18AM
Sherry Johnston
I think your staircase is beautiful. I love how light & bright it is. If you wouldn't mind me asking, what's the paint color on the walls? It's exactly what I'm looking for.
   April 11, 2013 at 4:47AM
Ed
Aina, for your 3D rendered photos, probably the white railing would fit better. (But in general I like the brushed stainless steel look. :)
1 Like   April 11, 2013 at 5:49AM
Becky
Steel railing gives it a more transitional or modern feel and the wood is more traditional. Just depends on the look you are trying to achieve in your decor. I kinda like the steel. It's a nice contrast and suits those sconces nicely. Maybe you need more sconces so that there is one at the tops and bottoms of all the stairs. That will balance the mismatched look you currently have. They should be hung the same height from the floor no matter which floor or landing they are on.
1 Like   April 11, 2013 at 5:52AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
You can not the architectural details that you are thinking of using. It would appear by the images you presented you are using a traditional vocabulary. Less gets less and more gets more.
   April 11, 2013 at 6:05AM
Aina Bulebayeva
I like the steel as well, but the price for steel is more expensive if you want curving. Then I prefer colored white than straight steel.
   April 11, 2013 at 6:08AM
Aina Bulebayeva
As I said, we are building what is in the picture, that's why they are still on the picture. After we finish the house, i will send you the real photos. That's why I am getting your opinions so if still we can improve. Thank you everyone!
   April 11, 2013 at 6:21AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Just a simple question......what could you consider the exterior design of your home?
   April 11, 2013 at 11:18AM
mpoulsom
I like the white railing spindles in the first pic for color, but I like the size of the metal ones in the second post...What about white metal posts or a thinner white wooden spindle in the railing?

p.s. the black and red light fixtures on the walls look better with the dark railing....

beautiful project you have going on!
   April 11, 2013 at 11:33AM
Nick Dellos Creations
Congratulations, Aina. Sounds like a great moment, to be building a home! I would say to use Houzz as the great tool it is by doing a search for "stairway"

So many ideas will present themselves to you. Save the ones you like to reference later.
   April 11, 2013 at 11:41AM
pickford1
Think it looks lovely. I would have gone for one long window at the back but otherwise wouldn't change a thing. Congrats!
   April 12, 2013 at 1:58AM
GRANDE FORGE
Hi, Aina! We think the second staircase is more impressive because, black banisters make accents on your landing. Besides the contrast of black and white is very trendy. The wrought iron add more drama to the interior. Are you live in Almaty? We are French producer of luxury balusters and have our distributor their who can design outstanding staircase for you and install it. You can see our collection here: grande-forge.com.
Below some examples of projects that we can realize.
   April 12, 2013 at 2:14AM
Bobbie
I like the way it reads. I agree with the lights being a bit small. Did u change the railing after all in second pic to wrought iron?
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 2:15AM
Aina Bulebayeva
Thank you! I tried to go for the whole one window, but the buiders refused because seismitic purposes. Our facade should look like this, but still working on it. It is getting interesting, some items you said I havent noticed until you said. I would like to get your opinions about my living room as well. When it gets my mind I sometimes lose my sleeps. Thanks again!
   April 12, 2013 at 2:21AM
Aina Bulebayeva
More pictures of living room- dining
   April 12, 2013 at 2:25AM
Ed
Aina, that's a lot of 3D rendering! :) Looks nice.
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 2:49AM
shelleyuk
On the stairway I like the white spindles far more than the metal. I also love the little stair lights and think you should keep these.
   April 12, 2013 at 3:02AM
OnePlan
great drawings ! they look so real ! which software do you use Aina ??
   April 12, 2013 at 3:12AM
Aina Bulebayeva
Sorry, I dont know which software our designer uses, and name of color, etc. I just want to make right choice, because it is not cheap. Like sometimes I think maybe these two armchairs in the middle of the living room are too much, better to leave the space open or we need that for adult guests and sities for the youngers to watch TV. Or we could put console table behind sofa?? Thats why I am here to make the right choice after all your experienced opnions and ideas from the site.
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 3:47AM
Aina Bulebayeva
grande-forge.com Could you please give contact numbers/address in Kazakhstan, your site is not working.
   April 12, 2013 at 3:49AM
aimran
i can't see the stairs landing through the curtain wall (glazing) in your elevation render.... hmmm.. what would the connection of the two look like? do ask 'em..

would not those stairs be very dark at night? if you have down lights on the soffit of the stair, then why do you need sconces? wouldn't a down light be a better source of lighting than a second type of light (i-e sconce) at the landing ceiling?
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 3:53AM
aimran
just a thought: when you have such a large living room, why is the sitting area so confined?
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 3:59AM
aimran
the renders are amazing
   April 12, 2013 at 4:19AM
Cozy Casita
anumaura, I think that's what Aina is worried about too ... see her comment re the "two big armchairs in the middle of the living room .." She actually wants seating for adults and extra for kids to watch TV. Looks at the moment as though there are two seating areas, one with the sofas and the other with the chairs .. which would look fine in a hotel lobby, but doesn't make for great family and friends get-togethers ! I agree Aina, you really need to make sure you get what you need, in such a large home. Right now, it looks as though you'd have a problem seating your guests after dinner ... the table appears to seat ten ... and you have seating for maybe six people in your living room (furnished the way it is in the current plan)
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 4:22AM
Cozy Casita
Love the colors and the pillars.
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 4:24AM
soberg
If it's important to have an armchair at the foot of stairs, that space needs to be greatly enlarged. Right now it is too small and confining for anyone to sit here comfortably. I'd recommend just scrapping the idea of using that space under the stairs for seating at all.
   April 12, 2013 at 4:27AM
aimran
exactly Cozy Casita, you phrased it correctly what i also felt, i find it hard to digest that for such a large and beautiful house with so much detail, a living doesn't serve much purpose than having seating for 6-7 people..
it would be best if Aina explored Houzz, found what she likes and discussed layouts with the Builders and asked them to come up with a better one..
   April 12, 2013 at 4:39AM
aimran
best to have cupboards under the stairs..
   April 12, 2013 at 4:57AM
Aina Bulebayeva
Thank you! Stairways: So, it is better to put statue or big vase or candle holder under stairway instead of reading armchair? You see I didnt think that until you said, the designer offers and I should digest, since first time sometimes I dont notice some stuff. Bookshelve, I prefer them in the cabinet. Console, I dont want too many of them. I will have it at the entrance which is next to the stairway. Stainless steal, we should think of, less maintaince? Lighting, we should consider all options again. Anyway, thank you very much for your feedback!

In the living room, I dont know how to make the seating area comfortable and big? Because we have only one wall for TV and other walls have windows. I dont like TV backing on windows. The most we want is natural light. Oh, we need a big table, when everyone gathers we like to sit down dinner.
   April 12, 2013 at 10:48AM
Take away chair. Replace tall bushy palm in a big pot. Pick color from other room. Silk palms good choice if you want something on landing. Do not over do. Not a lot of cutter. Love the windows.
   April 12, 2013 at 12:05PM
Leave rails like pic you posted. It's very nice.
   April 12, 2013 at 12:09PM
catbella123
I agree with travis interiors. At a glance....remove the chair and tables . They looked to tight for the space .Replace with either a narrow 30 inch high side table with a lamp OR go with the palm tree. Less is more and this look is definitely clean and uncluttered. Nice!
Form follows function.

Add a couple of pieces of art work that you like as you move up the staircase walls. The little lights do look lost but as you fill in with art work it might be ok.
How exciting to have this new place to look forward too. Looks lovely
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 12:18PM
catbella123
Your space look lovely and very decorated. Looks expensive. It might be warmer if you put some personal touches in it that reflect the personalities of your family. Perhaps some greenery with plants too,
It looks like a showroom but it does not reflect who you are.
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 12:22PM
GRANDE FORGE
Aina, please find out our Kazakhstan distributor contacts here: mobile phone 8 702 789 12 99, 8 777 290 77 25, e-mail: grande-forge@yandex.kz. Please tray again this link to view our collection : http://www.grande-forge.com/ or give your e-mail to our distributor and they will send you our BOOK of references with a small apercu of some international projects. Thank you for your interest!
   April 15, 2013 at 6:23AM
Flourish Design Elements
Aina, if you're looking for something really unique to your style and taste, and something dramatic, a feature newel can be a real statement piece for a staircase. Check out our website www.flourishde.com. We ship World Wide, and we do custom designs as well.
   April 20, 2013 at 6:03AM
Brenda
there is nothing wrong with your stairs. all your decisions so far see perfect. keep going! -- and share pictures as you go!
   April 20, 2013 at 6:19AM
Aina Bulebayeva
I am crying crying for this house, I got more than few grey hairs. It inspires me and sometimes I hate this house it took my all my personal life. When we finish the house I think I need a psychopathist. I cant trust anyone. Whatever is done by called 'specialists', everything is redone. When I hate I want to sell it, but i cant sell for its cost. I would never recommend to build a house.
   April 18, 2014 at 6:07AM
catlady999
Building and redecorating require more decisions that anyone anticipates. Remember to take deep breathes and say, "It will be beautiful in the end. If it is not yet beautiful, then it is not yet the end."

That said, your living room colors look elegant but I do not see kids relaxing and watching TV on white fabrics. Or at least I wouldn't be relaxed watching my kids on white fabrics.
   April 18, 2014 at 1:30PM
Nice. But don't see use for chair there. Instead a potted palm big would add texture and interest.
   April 19, 2014 at 1:14PM
Need your opinion on lights for my island and a backsplash!
Recently moved into this great condo. I'm looking for...
Need your opinion on my fireplace redo
I am redoing my fireplace. The L shape will be knocked...
Inpsired by the talent on Houzz ! Need your opinions on my drawings
75% complete on drawings for a large demo/rebuild project...
Need your opinion on my current home foyer.
This is my foyer at home. The theme here is "East Meets...
Need professional opinion on our front stairway and porch.
We wanted to lighten up our stairway entrance to the...
Design dilemma: dining room with unique walls
Hi, I'm a longtime Houzz fan but first-time poster....
Help needed choosing pillows!
I just received my new couch and armchairs but I have...
question about sinks
i have a question about sinks. i have a 2 basin deep...
Can't find lights I want for kitchen island in silver finish
I've search through hundreds of pages of lighting but...
Pool Planning - Help Please!
I am looking into the possibility of an in-ground swimming...