To paint or not to paint?
nataliedionne30
Need advice please on whether I should paint this natural stone in my front room or leave it in its natural state.
I will have dark walnut hardwood flooring installed and white plantation shutter window dressings.
If advice is to paint, what colour should I go for?
I'm afraid it looks a bit dated at the moment!...
Thanks in advance for your help :)
patriciarhall
is this a working fireplace and what will the room be used for - tv watching, entertaining, ?
April 10, 2013 at 4:24pm   
nataliedionne30
Hey, the fireplace is currently boarded up and I am undecided yet as to whether I will use it as I may mount my TV on the chimney breast itself.
The room will be used as just a TV /chill out room...
April 10, 2013 at 4:34pm   
mccdisco
I think the brick will look great with the dark hardwood. What color are you thinking for the walls and drapes?
April 10, 2013 at 4:43pm   
nataliedionne30
The walls will be white and in the alcoves each side of the chimney will be mirrored brick tiles.
No drapes but white shutters instead...
April 10, 2013 at 4:50pm   
mccdisco
That seems like a lot of white...would you consider wood blinds? maybe not the same color as the picture...
April 10, 2013 at 4:57pm   
carolannr
I think I would remove the whole thing and do some wall repair since the fireplace is not being used. Painting the brick is not going to make it look modern - its the way it was installed that date it so color will not help.
April 10, 2013 at 5:11pm   
Stacey Rushing
I think gutting it out would be best as well. Its kind of awkward. If that is not possible I would paint it white first see how it works in the room when you are finished. You can always go darker later. If I had to pick a non white color I would pick Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter :)
April 10, 2013 at 5:30pm     
Nick Dellos Creations
Those bricks don't look to be fire bricks in the fire chamber so I wonder if it is just a prop. If you are spending money on floors and such why not at least ask a chimney person to check it out. Fireplaces add value to a home typically, and many people like the older style. That is, if you would like it to work. But it may be faux.
April 10, 2013 at 5:34pm     
Your best advice to keep slugs at bay
Few things are as annoying as slugs. They're a gardener's...
Kitchen design question
Hi, I picked out a bianco torrone granite and it is...
Pls Help me choose colors (#2)
Hello there - Moving into a new home. Quick facts,...
Pls HELP me choose the right colors (Contemporary)
Challenge of the day!
Teeny tiny dining room needs major help. navy son says...