Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellajac

Followed some houzz suggestions, but...

ellajac
11 years ago
I replaced my red kitchen wall with cream, in order to add some black cabinets. There are existing avocado cabinets, but the cream looks very... Stark. Will I get used to it? Should I change something?

{Pics of the cream wall where the cabinets end at the dining room; the dining room in red (during the re-floor); and the kitchen overall before the partial remodel.}

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    11 years ago
    Did you decide not to do black then? What else do you plan on doing here?
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    If you still gonna paint your cabinets black to early to decide right now it looks good to me
  • ellajac
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The black will be at the other end of the kitchen (in the last photo, the stove is replaced with a corner pantry, then a floor-to-ceiling cabinet for a wall oven to its left and above-fridge cabinets -these new cabinets will be black, and the island I think. The rest stay green, with an antique glaze that 'dirties' them.
  • ellajac
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @staged, I'm not sure what else to do here. :] all my efforts have been on the other end, and taking the red out of the dining room really empties it (well, aside from the peninsula covered with everything we've had to remove from the places we're working on). I have a lovely farmhouse style table (unstained) but no real ideas...
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    Just finish your kitchen first then at least if you wanna change the paint color you'll pick some thing that works with the new look
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think your are right about the walls being too stark. I would pick up a darker tone of brown from the counter-tops to do on the wall. A rich brown will look great with the lovely green tone cabinets and the black ones your are going to install. Think about closing off the space above the cabinets, since it is not enough to display and it is visually distracting as well as being a dust collector. I would also take down the pot rack in the middle of the room.
  • ellajac
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @houssaon, how would I enclose that area above the cabinets? Drywall, or ??

Brown might work for the wall... I have browns in the floor, but didn't want to make the whole place *too* dark with black on some of the cabinets. Should the wall be a mid-tone, or ??
  • ellajac
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    (Also the pot rack is going once we get a hood. We installed an island cooktop but haven't removed the rack yet)
  • ellajac
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Anyone?

Thank you for your advice thus far. I feel suddenly and completely over my head with this color problem. Thought I had it pegged, but even after sleeping on it I'm still discouraged.
  • lepstein
    11 years ago
    Why not paint all of the cabinets black? I'm not a big fan of white walls personally, but I think brown would be too dark. A sage green, or a fresh green if you are brave, might work.
  • ellajac
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok, I'm going with a gray/brown. I hope this works!
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    I think it will
  • Amy Stanley
    11 years ago
    I think you should finish your renovations then paint, not sure why someone suggested cream with that green.