fixed glass wall with a shower
Anne Gilbreth Wett
When installing a fixed glass panel for a shower how wide does it have to be to prevent water from spraying out? For example I want to install a fixed glass panel in my 60" long alcove MBR shower/bath. What is the lenght of the fixed glass panel that I should order? I also am considering buying one fixed glass panel for a guest bathroom. We have a 58" L x 29 1/2" W alcove bath that we would like to remove the tuc and make a walk in shower with a fixed glass panel (no door) . Is a panel 34" with an opening of 24" sufficient ?
Aaron & Company
Unfortunately, a singular glass panel will never fully prevent water from escaping the shower.
In the Master, if you are tiling your floor, pitched opposite to the entry of the shower & w/ zero threshold, also using radiant heating under your floor tiles, you can keep water to a minimum.
In the Guest, if rarely used, then it could be acceptable. It's on you & expect to clean up after your guests.
I would keep the opening to a minimum of 18", unless there is a code to comply to. Goodluck & enjoy it!
April 10, 2013 at 9:42PM   
Anne Gilbreth Wett
Thank you so much. Always exciting to have the opportunity to make a house one's home.
April 10, 2013 at 10:24PM   
Ed
Anne, congrats on your new home! We're also in the middle of a remodel, and I also had to deal with a new walk-in shower with glass walls. Have you researched what kind of drain you'd like for your 2 showers ? Please post photos of your progress. Good luck. :)
April 10, 2013 at 11:14PM   
Other point to make is that if you have a moveable showerhead, just angle it closer to the floor (or even slightly inward. (There is probably a physics degree in the best angle of showerhead to body to splashzone).

BTW I have installed a number of showers and provided you have a good slope/pitch to the drain (which is facing away from the end of the shower), a 36" (or 90cm) length pane will allow for most water to stay where it belongs!
April 10, 2013 at 11:27PM   
ReMax - Lisa
Also, please make sure you install a toe kick in the plumbing hardware. I was a guest at a home where the plumber supplied the plumbing fixtures and you had to get soaked with cold water when reaching in to turn on the shower. Personally I would have made him replace it, as it ruined the whole gorgeous bathroom experience for me. Also, the water ran out much past the glass wall andthe floor got quite wet and slippery.
April 11, 2013 at 3:54AM   
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
29-1/2" wide is way too narrow to think about not having a door, just my opionion.
April 11, 2013 at 7:52AM   
Fixing a glass shower wall
I would like to fix a tempered glass 5 ft (H)by 3 ft...
How is the shower enclosure glass fixed in place?
I love the clean, seamless lines of this frameless...
Hard water fix for glass shower door- Frost?
We have a very expensive shower enclosure, hard water...
Need help with blueprint
The problem is the placement of the fireplace. I planned...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
Help for color
Hello, I've buy this and not yet sure for the color...
Help for a long master bath
We're remodeling our 1977 contemporary but following...