OLLD 4/11
April 11, 2013 in Other
Good Morning! Did I wake you? hehehe Hope everyone is alive and well this Thursday morning.

Minor victory!!! In the ongoing saga of R and his car repair...he fixed it with a friend in his friend's garage. His friend is married, 2 incomes, 2 kids, and they have absolutely no interest in interior design, let alone cleaning the house. So for as many times as R has .... protested .... all the work we've been doing, and my constant need for a clean house, last night he THANKED ME and showed a real, active interest in further improvements. I must take these little victories as they come, and worship them.
Roo! Or anyone, actually, what's the best wall color for a HOT room that faces west? Light, or dark?
April 11, 2013 at 5:31AM   
olldroo
Pale blue/aqua. Think my loungeroom. Who wants to know?
April 11, 2013 at 5:33AM     
Me! I like the pale aqua idea, thanks. Don't know how much longer I can take the Revere Pewter! Can I see pics of your loungeroom again?

What's happening, roo?
April 11, 2013 at 5:34AM   
olldroo
It is amazing the effect a comparison can have on a male - seems to be the only way they learn. That is one BIG victory. Work it till the novely rubs off.
April 11, 2013 at 5:34AM     
olldroo
Lucky they are handy -
April 11, 2013 at 5:36AM   
olldroo
Add lots of white too, makes it nice and fresh.
April 11, 2013 at 5:37AM     
Cool! I can see how that room would cool things down. Thanks for posting the pics. Are you going to put a table in that corner?

Men are definitely "show me" type of people aren't they? And I will totally work it! I know it won't last long.
April 11, 2013 at 5:40AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Morning Bobbi.............good for R on the repair job and for the epiphany . For all the renovation work going on in our house and the various stages of exploration design wise (temporary kitchen) and just plain roughness of our environment..........it's far better than my step-daughter's place on just about any given day, where quite often one will have to step over toys and stuff or through the trail of clothes to be put away..........not to mention the kitchen..............180 degrees from her mother, which I attribute more to a rebellious nature of I'm not going to be like my anal mother......... I'm sure that living in a house with 4 males is not the ideal environment for neat and ordered, but I think it's also the the revolting bent she developed growing up........she never was into cleaning stalls, feeding horse or any of the other 1000's of other task to running a well managed horse breeding operation. Different strokes for different folks. Thank God for my anal wife.
April 11, 2013 at 5:44AM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Just like a woman to conspire and manipulate against us males..............ummmpppffff....
April 11, 2013 at 5:46AM     
STK! I lived that life, too, 4 males is NOT the ideal environment. My boys were all slobs to the nth degree! There's nothing in the world that compares to stepping on Legos in the dark, let me assure you. Unfortunately, R's epiphany's don't last long.......but I'm too stubborn to give in. Unfortunately, he is too!

What's on your agenda today?
April 11, 2013 at 5:48AM   
olldroo
Yes, I just stuck the table there with the fabric for the ottoman the right way around. I am STILL waiting on that ottoman by the way. First the company were on holidays till well into January, then the salesman took time off to be married, then the new year's orders started in and mine just kept getting pushed to the bottom. Salesman got onto the owner who hit the room and it was to be first priority. They contacted the lady at the shop who has the fabric and asked her to bill them electronically, but they are not computer savvy at all, took them two weeks to do anything and it was all wrong, so they are still waiting on her - well they were the week before last.

The table is really old and is crap but I love it because it is really light and easy to move around. Most tables today are ridiculously heavy. Going to paint it but haven't decided on a colour yet. Once it is in the corner you won't see much of it anyway.

Just find an excuse for R to keep visiting his mate .......hehehe.
April 11, 2013 at 5:49AM   
Oh! Forgot to tell you all. I saw the eye dr Saturday, and he recommended everyone take that new eye vitamin, Occuvite I think it's called. He thinks it may work for that eye disease I can't spell - maculate degeneration, or something like that? Just in case you're interested.
April 11, 2013 at 5:50AM   
olldroo
I forget about you being here Kutchie - giving away too many secrets.

BTW there was a professional student type featured here the other day who has the title of "Thinker-in Residence" at one of our Uni's. Never heard of that one before. Anyway she is all into genes and says that men are going to die out, the Y chromosome is weak and not able to regenerate itself like the female one, so is breaking down and phasing itself out. She is quite adamant though that the human race will not die out, something else will take the male's place. Wonder if that means the females will get to design it??? Supposed to be each new species is an improvement on the previous one.

Now that really is a thought for the day.
April 11, 2013 at 5:56AM     
olldroo
I meant to ask you if all went well with your checkup Bobbi. There are quite a lot of products on the market that supposedly help with eye health - macular degeneration in particular. I get to the point that by the time I take all my pills I feel like I'm rattling. I walk into the pharmacy and there are so many I think I should take (if they work), it would take me all day to take them. My mum had it, so I supposed I should look at taking it, I seem to have inherited every other nasty she had.

I checked out with the Pharmacy, too about those hammer toe pads but they think they have been discontinued, they are going to chase them through for me, but she suggested the podiatrist might be able to do something.
I WANT THOSE BOOTS!!!
April 11, 2013 at 6:02AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
It's raining here.... has been all night long and will be an all day rain today. I'm still working on reorganizing the studio space. I actually found a case of graphite leads for lead holders that I've had for at least 30 years........man I've got leads to last the rest of my life. Also found a case of brand new (unopened) set of Rapidograph pens (6 pens) that we used for drawing plans on mylar back when we actually drew plans by hand..........those were the days.

Right now I have art supplies scattered all over the place..........frames, canvas boards, clay boards, paper, paints, ....... I promised the wife I would have to done before she got home tonight. I've got to get it done, finding stuff I had forgotten about, I've got all these ideas floating around in my head ..... I've got to get back to being productive.

Bobbi, I wouldn't be so quick to avoid brighter colors for your west facing room..........sometimes the infusion of the setting sun light can change the whole perception of colors.......especially when the accessories colors create a uniform palette.
April 11, 2013 at 6:21AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
ah...... the male species die out........not gonna happen....... number one, who would the females pick on? Each other?...........besides who can elevate women like men can.... other women? I don't think so. Talk about cat fights.............and besides, they couldn't manufacture enough batteries. Face it ladies, you need us men....
April 11, 2013 at 6:26AM     
Linda
Rain, Rain, go away! It's been raining and cold here...pretty decent january/february weather, not mid April. Today is supposed to be showers with a high of 48F Warmest day on the forecast is Sunday with high in the low 60s otherwise nothing higher than the mid 50s for another week. Plus there's flood warning out also with all the rain but thankfully, I don't have any properties with a water problem except for one on a hill with a leaky basement. Supposedly there are water problems this year in basements that have always been dry in the past...just lots of soggy ground

We were so spoiled last year when it was already in the 70s about every day starting about the third week of March. I'm thoroughly sick of this cold, miserable weather because we have three houses to get on the market by mid June and every single one of them needs an exterior paint job and two of them need new roofs. The houses are small so it won't take long as soon as the weather turns, but until then we're stuck inside
April 11, 2013 at 6:31AM   
The male species is waaaaay to stubborn to die out!!!! hehehe

Roo, I know exactly what you mean about taking all those pills and supplements. Plus the amount of water it takes just to get them down! Gurgle gurgle :))

STK, God love ya, I don't think I can take the Revere Pewter much longer......
April 11, 2013 at 6:33AM   
Linda! I'll take your rain! It hit 95 here last night, in the shade. Toooo hot. How hot do your summers get?
April 11, 2013 at 6:34AM   
olldroo
Kuchie, in my case, as from memory in Bobbi's too, it isn't the setting sun aspect it is the fact that from 1 minute past noon I have a glaring hot sun creeping into my lounge room that only gets hotter and brighter the whole afternoon till the sun disappears behind the hill. I just love the feeling of slipping into a gorgeous clean ocean, it is so calming and cooling. We really don't get a "setting" sunlight. I guess you could go to a turquoise or a marine blue, but it wouldn't be as calming.

That reminds me Bobbi, back in our early contact days we were looking at outdoor protection for your room. Did that thought ever go any further?
April 11, 2013 at 6:39AM     
olldroo
Bobbi, I didn't want to mention the water aspect and the flow on effects - emphasis on the flow!!!

Gosh 35 is a but sudden for you, but that is how we were having it - 35 one day and 18 the next!!! Feel like a wrung out dishcloth all the time.
April 11, 2013 at 6:43AM     
Ironwood Builders
So the great thinker at the Uni figures women are the ultimate in evolution? Gotta say...all that indoor plumbing is sort of faulty compared to the male outhouse, isn't it? Species wise we all stink. The knee is far from intelligent design, same with the hip! And how are women going to stop making men when trying is so much fun?
April 11, 2013 at 6:52AM     
Roo, never found the sun protection, still looking. Everything that looks like it might work is big $$$, so..... And, yes, the water flow just adds to the problem! And adds, and adds.... What is Uni? Is that university?
April 11, 2013 at 6:55AM   
olldroo
Guys the great thinker IS a woman!! Rather says it all. The problem is that if women have a say in the creation of a new species, do they make him better, so he thinks for himself in which case women won't be able to get away with the present level of cunning they use. Gunna be hard striking just the right balance, after all perfect does get boring ....... but then I think I would die happily in that state of boredom.

Yep Uni is university.

I don't think you were able to solve the problem with trees were you?
April 11, 2013 at 7:03AM     
I don't even remember the problem with the trees!
April 11, 2013 at 7:13AM   
olldroo
Nooooo - I mean planting trees to create shade.

Off to bed for me. Hooroo.
April 11, 2013 at 7:20AM     
Sleep tight, roo! I do believe I like unmaking my bed a lot more than I like making it :))
April 11, 2013 at 7:43AM     
kimdee24
I dunno. As far as 'great thinking' and men are concerned I probably won't be getting a gold star in that arena anytime soon. Turns out that often what I believe to be true and what is actual reality are often vastly different things.
April 11, 2013 at 7:44AM     
I'm with you kimdee!
April 11, 2013 at 7:45AM     
Linda
bobbi - summers here get hot occasionally - doesn't usually feel hot to me, but my DH complains about it. We rarely get over 100 degrees, but it is usually NOT a dry heat! Average is about 10 days or so above 90 in a summer but heat waves are really bad here with lots of the low income population not having any AC available.

I have a monstrous tree that shades much of my house and my house is built from cement block faced with brick so it takes 3 or 4 days before my house gets too hot. Which is good since I only have 1 window in my entire downstairs that I can put in a window AC unit. All the rest are either french doors or casements.

But, this masonry house feels miserably cold this time of year because it takes so long before the heat kicks on again. I have it set to get warm in the morning, but then the thermostat is set to 60 during the day so if I stay home it feels really cold before afternoon - I try to avoid bumping up the thermostat because it is set where it ought to be since I'm supposed to be out getting things done, not sitting in my chair typing!
April 11, 2013 at 8:53AM     
Linda, 90 degrees isn't horrible, but it's the humidity that'll kill ya, I remember that from my NJ days. We have a huge and really annoying mulberry tree in the front so the front stays cool, plus the front faces east with the cooler morning sun. It's the backyard, and living room, that get unbearable in the summer. Last year we racked up two weeks of 113 F temps, that's two weeks in a row. I try to stay calm but seriously, that did me in and I was CRANKY!!!

My MIL was telling me in Mexico all the houses are built from cement blocks and they rarely have house fires because of it. She couldn't believe it when she saw we used wood. Her way makes more sense.

Normal summer temps here are 90 F and above, everyday. And let me tell you, it is one long summer! Starts in May, ends at Thanksgiving.
April 11, 2013 at 8:58AM   
mpoulsom
good morning, almost afternoon here! sunny so far, but a little humid and getting STK's rain later today or tonight I believe???
boy, you guys have been busy busy busy!!! :)
I refuse to comment on the whole "man" discussion. I'm zipping my lip as I type! ;).....why? because I can do 2 things at once.

good grief...bob is already sweating to death, poor linda and kimdee having winter still. I hate it for you all!

congrats dave, on the great report from your doc. fantastic. and i wish that you had taken pics yesterday, and yes i would have been extremely jealous, but would have inhaled the view completely and been in make believe heaven! hwy 1 is my favorite drive. and you are absolutely right about the driver. I always tell people to do it if they go out west, but that they have to go with someone and take turns driving so everyone gets to enjoy.

Mal and Beau went out there as part of their honeymoon trip in a large RV. And went down hwy 1, but were polite and pulled over frequently to let people pass them. Mal said it was the craziest thing ever!!! I can only imagine. lol! hard enough doing it in a car. But she HAD to make sure they went to her old stomping grounds and to Big Sur to show Beau. I actually thought it was the coolest honeymoon ever. They took 2 or 3 weeks and drove cross country sightseeing all the way out to california and back. One of the best things for me was that I had taken a pic of Mal & Josie (our dog) in front of the Grand Canyon when she was about 10 years old. Beau took ANOTHER exact pic of Mal & Josie in front of the Grand Canyon 11 years later....it was super cool!
April 11, 2013 at 9:04AM     
handymam
Going to have the home we are buying inspected today. I don't anticipate any problems, so many things have already been updated already.

Can't wait to get started. I love the "honeymoon" of a new house! Even though my daughter will be living in it, she likes my ideas, and I work with her likes, so we have fun together.
April 11, 2013 at 9:13AM     
mpoulsom
what in the sam hill is going on?? hahaha
April 11, 2013 at 9:14AM   
handymam
I am at a loss for words...for once.
April 11, 2013 at 9:15AM   
mpoulsom
hahaha handymam! that is funny.

i just copied and pasted and emailed to dear emily!
April 11, 2013 at 9:19AM   
No worries, I reported IT to E.

HandymaM - Excellent! Good luck to you, I have my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well! Please remember to let us know the outcome?

MP, that drive is not for the faint of heart! Do you remember Redwood Road in Castro Valley? Same thing, except it's in the woods. So instead of crashing over the edge of the world you just crash into a tree :)) Two things at once! Great comment!
April 11, 2013 at 9:20AM     
handymam
bobbi, will do!
April 11, 2013 at 9:21AM     
I just got an email from E, she got her/him/it!
April 11, 2013 at 9:22AM   
S. Thomas Kutch
"two things at once....." MP are you bragging or showing off.....
April 11, 2013 at 9:24AM     
handymam
I suppose we could have just starte3d talking about houe stuff that was so boring they would have left on their own, lol.
April 11, 2013 at 9:24AM     
mpoulsom
It was probably an "it"! why do they even try doing this? I will never understand. Relentless I guess for a buck.
April 11, 2013 at 9:28AM     
mpoulsom
I can assure you "it" was not reading our discussion at all!

Just the facts STK, just the facts....
April 11, 2013 at 9:30AM     
Because they're idiots, that's why.

So....I bought some new sandwich wraps, 1 less carb, whole wheat. And I thought they couldn't possibly taste any worse.
April 11, 2013 at 9:30AM   
mpoulsom
and aren't you supposed to be cleaning up your art supplies and studio area sir??? lol
(sorry couldn't resist that one! ;)
April 11, 2013 at 9:31AM     
Get him, MP!! Oooh, Houzz fight!
April 11, 2013 at 9:40AM     
mpoulsom
ok..sooo. I go to my friend's house after work last night to see her kitchen to give her some advice.

Cabinets can def be painted. They are cheap cabs that have a thin plywood center and the fake wood framing around them. Light as a feather they are...she has bright gold plain knobs. A formica top that is a light grayish color with the little speckles. And the backsplash is basically left over grayish blue bathroom 4" tiles. The den area and kitchen and small dining nook are all open concept. She has 2 colors of wall paint. The den is kind of a dark terracotta color and the kitchen walls are kind of a golden yellow color. Floors will be replaced with a medium color wood flooring in the kitchen and den. Right now she has carpet and cheap light colored vinyl flooring. Whoever built this house did a crappy job. Cathedral ceilings and they put a 4-track light fixture in the middle of the kitchen ceiling and a single track-light fixture ON THE CEILING above her kitchen sink, instead of putting something above the window to shine down on the sink area. Good news is, the kitchen is small.
Vertical blinds are on every window in the house and I'm not just talking about vertical blinds, but vertical blinds that have a mottled color of very pale bluish gray and a pinkish color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 11, 2013 at 9:41AM   
OMG, check this out! This is my elementary school, can't believe it's still standing!

"It's the kind of that thing guaranteed to turn your stomach. A Cane Corso dog, now recuperating at the Woodbridge Animal Shelter , was found Tuesday, tied to the door at Port Reading School #9 . The black mastiff-type dog, with a white marking on his chest, had apparently been the recipient of a home-done ear cropping."
April 11, 2013 at 9:42AM   
Holy moley, MP! Sounds like my idiot flipper was her decorator! What are the plans?
April 11, 2013 at 9:43AM   
mpoulsom
oh bobbi that sounds horrible....i will check it out though. :(

I have to help her decide what color to paint the cabs...(not white)....replacing the hardware of course. maybe replacng the hinges?? window treatments...new light fixtures for ceiling and moving electrical down from ceiling to the wall above sink window, ....i think she should tear out backsplash and change that...we'll see.
oh yea..another prob. all appliances and kitchen sink are bisque. she will not change those unless they blow up. but she did say that MAYBE she could change one appliance at a time to stainless. (?) oh and there is a tiny island thing with bar top between the kitchen and den that is a joke. It's about 4 feet wide and the bar side is basically not usable. The raised bar top on the island thingy is about a foot wide and a joke. I think she needs to tear that raised bar top off and do one flat piece on top of that. The whole place is so mixed up that I now understand why she didn't even know where to begin!

I did move her couch and loveseat in the den to the places that made more sense. and a table and lamp. brought a floor lamp in from another room for the corner. that was a huge difference. Moved a recliner out that no one ever sat in and moved it into her bedroom. She has a bad back and can't do this stuff alone. Luckily her niece dropped by to help me move those things. her husband works for Michelin and is out of town a lot. So she's there alone a lot, or with grandbabies, or at work. Her husband is going to hate me!! :)
April 11, 2013 at 9:59AM   
astraea
Out all morning & am taking a break now. Maybe I'll go thru the "This Week on Houzz", and hope there's something really NEW there!
April 11, 2013 at 10:12AM   
mpoulsom
ok so I have to show this pic mal took....i couldn't stop laughing. keep in mind that Lola (granddog) is only 8 months old.
April 11, 2013 at 10:15AM     
mpoulsom
can we go here for an Olld Vacation??
Castiglion Florentino, Italy ...B&B Casa something or another!
April 11, 2013 at 10:22AM     
mpoulsom
well dang it...the top part of the pic is cut off!
April 11, 2013 at 10:23AM   
mpoulsom
try and get the whole pic from the italian B&B......and another very cool place in south africa!
April 11, 2013 at 10:28AM     
mpoulsom
ez...we can probably incorporate the bisque color on the cabinets...either top & bottom...OR one or the other. The colors she has going on everywhere else in that whole open room are dark terracotta, golds, sagey greens! she does not want to change any of those colors....that's where the blue and blue/gray becomes the problem. I thought about the bisque color and a sage green for the kichen....BUT she would almost have to change backsplash and maybe do the countertops..either replace them or do the rustoleum kit thingy.
she does not want to paint any of the walls or change any of the den furniture color scheme...sooo i'm trying to figure out the most economical way to incorporate what she does not want to change. The window treatments alone will make a huge difference and the light fixtures. She has seen some at lowe's that she likes, so I hope that maybe I can go with her one day to check them out.
April 11, 2013 at 10:42AM   
Just dropping in before I drop. Three days of Spring weather spurred me to do something about my closet. I did the weed out. I am ashamed to tell you how much is going to resale or Goodwill.

bobbi, I have some thoughts for the West room. The colors aren't typical, popular colors, but take a look.

BM AC-35 Valley Forge Tan. It is a beautiful platinum with a hint of lilac.

BM 2116-60 Touch of Gray. Again a hint of lavendar.

BM 2135-70 Patriotic White. Very cool and a pale blue.

BM 2040-70 Spring Mint. This is an interesting color as it actually changes as the sun moves around to the West.

If you like any of these, I have written down colors which coordinate beautifully and will share. I have used all four in West bedrooms. Stay away from Monroe Bisque. It gets nasty in that afternoon sun.
April 11, 2013 at 11:56AM   
mp, could her top cabs be bisque and the bottom gray? I like ez's idea. Look at gull wing gray…

April 11, 2013 at 12:06PM     
MP, I only had a chance to briefly read everything, but my one concern is that they're not making bisque appliances anymore, at least that's what I've heard. If that's true, would matching the cabinets be a good idea?

Oh! And I thought Lola was a bear at first!
April 11, 2013 at 12:30PM   
MP, here's a thought for her bisque appliances. If she's interested in buying stainless down the road, why not get the stainless film cover they sell for now? If she did this, it will be easier to coordinate all the colors and knobs, etc.
April 11, 2013 at 1:17PM   
Who makes grits? I just found an interesting recipe in Real Simple…pork chops, grits and tomatoes. I've never had cooked or tasted. Good? http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/pork-chops-cheesy-grits-00100000098381/index.html
April 11, 2013 at 1:19PM   
Judy, where've YOU been??? Hey, I don't make grits, but there's a funny scene in the movie "My Cousin Vinny" where they're making grits, have you ever seen it?
April 11, 2013 at 1:23PM     
astraea
April 11, 2013 at 1:28PM   
Hi all! I'm eavesdropping. judyg...my husband loves grits and pork chops so I've bookmarked the receipe. I'm not much of a cook, but I've bookmarked it. :) My BH loves to cook and does most of it and I'm sure he'd love to try the recipe. thanks for sharing.
April 11, 2013 at 2:35PM     
bobbi...that gull wing gray looks like a very pretty color.
April 11, 2013 at 2:37PM     
bobbi, I told you…I've been in my closet. I could get lost in there. CP came home and could not believe the stuff I had pulled into the living room, which still needs to be sorted. I can't leave it in the bedroom because if I don't get to it before 9 , he has to sleep on the floor hehehe.

Speaking of movies, has anyone seen the Tina Fey one…Applause or something like that. I am in charge of movie night this month and the pickins' are slim.

bobbi, did you look at the recipe? It looks good.

I have such good luck with Real Simple. It has a recipe for everything, every event and you can expect a good meal.

I remember bisque…it was never bisque. Kind of a pink, yucky color, which thankfully, has gone the route of avocado. OMG. We got married in '69. Absolutely, the worst decorating decade in history. My appliances were brown, my wallpaper was psychedelic, the rug was avocado, with some gold thrown in as an accent and the furniture was pecan. The dining chairs looked like a king coronation chair.

When we came to our senses a few years later, not even the homeless shelters wanted it. They couldn't move it. Guess we bought by the pound.

Roo? Maybe you and I are the only ones who remember the 60's and fell for the decor.

I saw a post the other day where someone asked for help on updating her dining set. I think it was mine and the only suggestion I could make was not encouraging…so I passed on that one.

mp, you are a good friend. Often it is overwhelming when you are asked to help and you know not much can be done. You don't want to insult, but the whole process is discouraging. You can never make it what she envisions.

I have a very close friend, love her, but her home is so sad. She wants to make it nicer, doesn't know how to, hubby could care less and won't LET HER (grrrrrrr) spend a dime without his approval. So, there they sit. :
April 11, 2013 at 2:40PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Judy, Judy, Judy.... now you're talking.....pork chops, grits, cheese and tomatoes .... that's some down home, end of the black top, just about a mile past farmer Henry's old place cooking.....it don't get no better than that, unless you add some fried okra and home made biscuits.
April 11, 2013 at 2:42PM     
Darzy, I'll make it. Tell the sweetie pie to make it. We'll compare. The picture of the dinner looks delicious. Just would like to try something different. Actually tell him to go to Real Simple and investigate the recipes.
April 11, 2013 at 2:44PM     
O k stk, or is it Cary Grant? Tell me about the grits. It looks like oatmeal and mushy. I can't imagine it taking the place of pasta or a potato. Willing to try. Will you make it for me, freeze it, and send it North?

Speaking of local food, have you had quahogs?
April 11, 2013 at 2:47PM   
Some people have no clue about decorating, some people don't care, others don't have the $$$. I used to be fanatical about my wardrobe to the point where in high school I had a calendar, I wrote down what I would wear, complete with accessories and shoes, everyday for a month at a time! Now I don't care, one t-shirt looks just like another. And I think that's what some people think about decor - one sofa looks just like another.

I didn't start decorating until the 70's, think shag rugs. Not the better ones available today; mine was orange and my neighbors was green. Dark oppresive furniture was popular then, and the more turns and curly-q's the better. I think the style was called Colonial. Blech! Can you say candle wax dripped old wine bottles? Entertainment centers made from cement blocks and spare wood? Wrought iron everything? Macrame? How about taking a torch to some 2 x 4's and calling it art?
April 11, 2013 at 2:49PM     
kimdee24
I've never had grits. I'm not sure I even know what they are!
April 11, 2013 at 2:49PM   
kimdee24, I think the grits thing will open a whole new world for us.

bobbi, very familiar with that shag…individual things that looked like old pasta. Maybe all the designers were on acid and that was the best they could do and we fell for it.
April 11, 2013 at 2:55PM   
mpoulsom
SHRIMP & GRITS!!!!!!!!! :)
I heard pork was bad for you! hahahaha!
April 11, 2013 at 2:56PM     
mpoulsom
grits are fabulous! judy i think quaker makes grits that you may be able to find in the store there. of course I have no idea because when i lived in cali, they didn't sell them! I was shocked and horrified! they did eventually get them in the grocery stores though. I remember I went to cater a wedding in reno and there was a denny's or something there where we ate breakfast the next morning, (because we had to spend the night.)....there were grits on the menu. I was soooo happy to see that!
Also had a southern friend named ed that lived in SF....couldn't get Duke's Mayonaise there. I went to his house and he had jars of it. He would have his sister ship him jars of it from here!! lol! He held up a jar to me like it was gold with a huge smile on his face. And it was....love the Duke's Mayo too, still to this very day!
April 11, 2013 at 3:02PM   
mpoulsom
judy if you like polenta you will probably like grits....
i like mine with a lot of butter and salt and pepper!
April 11, 2013 at 3:03PM   
kimdee24
My Ukrainian baba (grandma) used to make something called "Nachinka". Which is made from cornmeal, and butter and onion, milk and eggs and then baked. Creamy, like pudding sort of. Are grits similar?
April 11, 2013 at 3:06PM   
mpoulsom
bob, lola the bear will be staying at GG's house while her family goes to the keys this summer...for 10 days!!!!!!!! she is a frisbee dog, so she can teach Dali to do it!! :) the weird thing about lola is that she doesn't weigh anything. she's all hair and light as a feather! she's a borderdoodle!
April 11, 2013 at 3:07PM     
astraea
I’ve never had grits, but I’ve worked with southerners, and it’s like a religion to them .. kinda like crawfish boils.

Judy – Quahogs are clams, aren’t they? In the NYC area, I’ve heard of cherrystones & littlenecks; they’re types of Quahogs .. only small. Never had raw clams until I started to work, and the guys would go out for them after work, with a couple of beers. Loved the clams, skipped the beer!
April 11, 2013 at 3:13PM     
mpoulsom
kimdee...usually you just add the grits, which are granular into boiling water, a little salt and butter if you want, on the stovetop. No milk or eggs. You then stir and let it boil for a little bit, then turn the stove off, put a lid on the top...kind of like rice, or oatmeal, but quicker than rice.
THEN I ADD LOTS OF BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lots of pepper and a little salt.

You can add cheese, garlic or whatever you want after that. Some people even eat it like Cream of Wheat, add a little cream and sugar. That's not the way i like them.

When making shrimp and grits.....you do add cream and garlic to it for a creamier texture!
April 11, 2013 at 3:13PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
You wouldn't believe my day this morning. Went to Wallgreens this morning, checked out the inventory on the Red Box, nothing new, turned to walk away and heard this commotion down at the end of the side as I was walking back into the store entry....didn't really pay much attention to it as it was behind me and about 40 yards away. Walked inside, got my items came out and as I'm walking to my truck, a Cooper's Hawk swoops down out of the sky, almost hits me in the head and slams a Morning Dove that had been on the sidewalk and had just taken to flight..........I'm startled, thinking WOW, and climb into my truck I had just gotten in and the door closed, when this Hawk flies down and lands on my driver side mirror and is none to stable........ when he slammed the Dove, they both bounced off the Wallgreen's side window. I'm thinking the Hawk was stunned, the Dove was dead and landed on the sidewalk. After about 5 minutes, the Hawk finally cleared his head enough and took off to lite on a parking lot light pole. A number of the employees heard the birds as they hit the window and came out investigate.........as we're all standing there talking and watching the Hawk, the ambulance pulls out of the fire station across the street and pulls into the parking lot at the end of the Wallgreens.........next thing you know there are cops cars coming in from everywhere and all directions. Two pull into the Walgreens lot and join the ambulance. The rest going screaming down the side street and then down the street behind the Walgreens................two block the street and about a half a dozen go screaming down the street to the end of the culdasac.

Turns out the noise I heard was two black guys in a Jeep had tried to rob a woman coming into Walgreens when she got out of her car. Tried to drag her into the Jeep, beat the hell out of her, cut her throat and then pushed her out of the Jeep and took off with her purse and wallet.......One witness who saw the whole thing, didn't intervene because he had his kids in the SUV with him, but did call 911 immediately.....thus the quick response. They found the Jeep abandoned at the end of the street and started a house to house search..........there's a large drainage concrete flume between the Walgreens and the houses along the street, which is the usually criminal roadway for access into and out of the neighborhood .

Still have caught the guys yets, so I've been listening to the online police scanner all afternoon while i finished up my studio space................I bet I've heard at least 30 police calls that involve someone described as "off their meds" and causing problems. From one girl running around an upscale store in her underwear shouting crazy crap about aliens and government agents spying on her in the dressing room ......(off her meds) to a mother with a butcher knife and frying pan threatening members of her family (off her meds)..............

You couldn't pay me enough to be an LEO.....it has been quite the entertaining day.....
April 11, 2013 at 3:17PM   
Don't like polenta, don't like grits, or eggs, or any food that has no texture! Especially not clams or muscles, or any other shellfish I'm allergic to. Natch!
April 11, 2013 at 3:31PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Judy.....Grits is course ground hominy. Finer grinding produces Grit Meal.......the grits we love down here are the course ground stuff. A staple of breakfast with butter and salt.... or gravy. For dinner, they are combined with pork chops, shrimp. crayfish and just about anything else one wants...........

The thing is we have laws down here about shipping real grits or recipes involving grits up north... you all damn yankees have stolen enough from us southerns. We ain't about to share our grits with nobody in the north..... that would be down right sacrilegious...
April 11, 2013 at 3:34PM     
kimdee24
Well if grits have lots of butter, I'm sure I would like it!
April 11, 2013 at 3:47PM     
astraea
I can't think of too many southern dishes you'd refer to as "health food"!
April 11, 2013 at 3:48PM     
olldroo
Morning all, my goodness what an interesting cooking lesson today. Sorry, but none of it has me drooling.

mp - love Lola the bear, I thought the same thing when I looked at the photo. So how big will she actually grow? Looks like Boo will be able to take some pony riding lessons.

Sounds like you are up against a brick wall with your friend's decorating. The terracotta and golden yellow walls take me back to the 70s, it sounds really dark and depressing. I can't remember what you said the other day does she not want to spend money on the place or is she not in a position. Whoever invented vertical drapes should be shot too - they definitely belong with 70s disasters. BH's sister has a $m+ apartment and has vertical drapes on every window and door. She has no decorating skills anyway but her theory is that when the doors and windows all slide then you can't possibly have things that go up and down.

Could you take the terracotta into the kitchen and do the cupboards in the palest shade of terracotta you can get, like a white with a touch of terracotta or would it be worth putting whole new doors on the cupboards - by the time you paint them and buy hinges and knobs, certainly from a time aspect it would be a whole lot quicker. What colour do you call bisque? Is that a murky biscuit colour or a grey colour?
April 11, 2013 at 4:34PM     
Karen Macy! Are you joining us here on the olld forum? Please do!
April 11, 2013 at 4:37PM   
We sometimes have grits and eggs for breakfast. My granddaughter loves grits- unusual for kids! My hubby is proud of a potato salad recipe he submitted to allrecipies.com and has 77 reviews and 200 "pinned" it. :) He also makes the best biscuits and gravy. (He's southern, can you tell?) Hard to eat healthy! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southern-Dill-Potato-Salad/Detail.aspx

Judy - he's going to make the pork chops and grits recipe for us. :)
April 11, 2013 at 4:39PM     
olldroo
Kutchie - Gravy for breakfast - YUK!!! I'm surprised the yankees haven't put a wall up to stop the flow of food north. Have to agree with Astrea, it does not sound healthy.

Ez, thanks for the footsmart link but the site isn't available at the moment. I think I will do the rounds of other pharmacies and see if anyone else has anything. I would really like to be able to check them out properly first.

Astraea - I checked out that link but really don't want to get involved. Don't really know much about French Provincial anyway and have no idea what she is talking about when she said they can't sit outside. As she has had no reply in 3 days I suggested they put up photos and asked what the outdoor problem is. They are way down south so it could get very cold there in winter, not sure how hot it could be in summer, but there could also be a bug problem.
April 11, 2013 at 4:42PM   
Darzy, can't you please send him my way? He sounds like a Godsend!
April 11, 2013 at 4:44PM     
olldroo
Yes judy I do remember the avocado/brown/gold, shag carpets, the rake to clean them, macrame and God knows what else. But then I was floating around in my kaftans with flowers in my hair and totally at peace with everything. Then I fell pregnant and the kaftans were great for that, much to my mother's disgust, I was expected to wear tent dresses with white collars and big pussy cat bows. After that came the boots and hotpants with an open flowing skirt, and remember ponchos came in and then we wore them as skirts too. Then we had mini skirts we wore with long white sox - pregnancy No. 2 by then and mother did not approve of mini length maternity dresses either. At least I had the figure in those days - between pregnancies that was.
April 11, 2013 at 4:47PM   
handymam
Pet peeve alert: I am so tired of hearing that people should "beef up" things!!

Thank you. Tantrum over. :)
April 11, 2013 at 5:09PM     
OLLDs check out Darzy's husband recipe. I am making tomorrow. Love dill.

stk, I am going to send you a Boston recipe or two. I want you to make them. Get back to you with the recipe, but get in salt pork, navy beans, molasses, an onion and a bean pot. Then buy some hot dogs, yellow mustard, piccalilli, and a can of B&M brown bread. A Boston Saturday night supper. Stay tuned.

mp. love that dog. Mal going to the Keys in the summer? CP just got back from Surgarloaf Keys.

astraea, I think a healthy southern food is okra….with nothing on it. Quahogs are a hard shell clam. The taste is different and, in my opinion, much more delicious. Bigger than a clam and so sweet and delicate. If you have them in your fish market, I will send you a quahog chowder recipe that is so good, you will put me in your will.

mp. what do you know about Asheville?
April 11, 2013 at 5:19PM     
handymam, missed that one. Share. Beef it up? With what? That expression and my peeve, "add a color that pops". ????

How did the house inspection go?
April 11, 2013 at 5:20PM     
olldroo
Ooops, I've been using "pops" a lot since I've been on here. Seems to be a universal language so I figured everyone would understand.
April 11, 2013 at 5:25PM   
handymam
Beef up those thin columns...Beef up the trim around the windows...

The inspection went well judy, thanks for asking. No major problems. Can't wait to start stripping wallpaper and choose paint after we close. My daughter said she is really liking the robins egg blues and soft greens and aquas lately. (Still probably wants a red kitchen, but not this time, lol. Told her since the house is brick, she can paint the front door red. Thinking of black window boxes as we can't put shutters on.) Feel free to suggest any of those colors. Especially if they are SW or Paint from Lowe's. That is where I get all my "stuff."
April 11, 2013 at 5:31PM     
handymam
Going to see if I can get someone to load some pics of the floor in the bathroom at the house. I love it. I don't want to change it because it has light gree, blue and a bit of yellow on white. Goes with the 1960 blue fixtures. Thinkingking of changing the toilet and sink to white though. Will keep the tub.
April 11, 2013 at 5:33PM     
Don't forget to add that pop of color when you beef up the columns and trim. You can also pop your color with so many throw pillows there's no place for anyone to sit. And tons of pillows on the bed! Who wants to go to bed early, sleep is so overrated. Don't you dare allow your countertops to match your backsplash! Blasphemy! And while you're at it, add carpet everywhere, it's so great for allergies.
April 11, 2013 at 5:34PM     
handymam
roo, sometimes, there really is no other way of saying that something pops though, don't you agree?
April 11, 2013 at 5:34PM   
handymam
LOL, thanks for the tips, roo! Don't forget to paint everything white too. Then the pops will really pop.
April 11, 2013 at 5:36PM     
handymam
I meant to say that to you, bobbi!
April 11, 2013 at 5:38PM     
When you take pics of the new home, make sure the toilet seat is up, ok? Include all the dead bushes in the front and all the clutter in the house.
April 11, 2013 at 5:40PM     
handymam
I wouldn't have it any other way! I sure hope they leave alot of junk around or else I will have to bring my own!
April 11, 2013 at 5:44PM     
My apologies to everyone for my sarcasm, no fan mail, please? I'm soooo tired. Insane day.
April 11, 2013 at 5:46PM     
olldroo
What tips did I make? Honestly this thread, I just keep losing the plot. I had never heard of 'pop' till I came on this website.

Talk about losing the plot, on another thread there was discussion on mozzies and I had read that eating bananas keeps mozzies away so I jokingly added it to the discussion. Seems it is the opposite, eating bananas attract mozzies - had to burst my bubble, I just thought I was super tasty.

Hey bobbi, did you read the thread about bedrooms and the people who live in them? One bed piled with pillows had the caption 'my husband and I don't fight over pillows anymore'. There is method in madness.
April 11, 2013 at 5:46PM     
olldroo
Bobbi, we definitely have a connection somewhere, whenever I come on here late at night and someone posts a "what colour will I paint ......" I so want to let fly.
April 11, 2013 at 5:48PM     

roo, what are you doing up?
April 11, 2013 at 5:49PM   
I missed that one, roo, I can't believe it but I did. I can't stand throw pillows ANYWHERE. They don't make the room, Frank! They are visual clutter. When you visit someone's house, and the sofa is so full of throw pillows, what do you do? Throw them?
April 11, 2013 at 5:49PM   
handymam
roo, you are not lost, it was my mistake. Meant to say bobbi earlier.
April 11, 2013 at 5:49PM   
olldroo
Cause it is bloody 11 AM!!! Doing this between bouts of attacking housework.
April 11, 2013 at 5:50PM     
Judy, you're a twit. At least they flushed.

Roo! God, you are so right! We have a psychic connection that's for sure. Can't believe I spelled that right, did I?
April 11, 2013 at 5:51PM     
olldroo
Thanks mam, I need all the confusion I can get.
April 11, 2013 at 5:51PM     
Don't say bloody. My dr WILL NOT give me my test results until I can get in to see her which won't be for at least two weeks. So what do I do in the mean time, die?
April 11, 2013 at 5:52PM   
handymam
Judy, nice bathroom! But unfortunately for bobbi, the seat is not up!!
April 11, 2013 at 5:52PM     
handymam
roo, you came to the right place for confusion then!
April 11, 2013 at 5:53PM     
olldroo
Sounds like she is rorting the medical system - or that is how it would be considered here. One would hope she has checked them so take heart in no news is good news. Love my dr, she posts the full result to me with any comments necessary - that I can't read because she writes in doctor.

Friend of mine had some chest issues so dr sent her for further tests to be sure and they concluded that somewhere along the line she has had a heart attack that she isn't aware of. Sent her off for an angiogram but she had to wait 6 weeks for it. Had to reassure her that there obviously wasn't anything really serious.
April 11, 2013 at 5:57PM     
tinytykes
i have a king size bed problem can any one help
April 11, 2013 at 5:57PM     
olldroo
If we can all come and lie in it - I think brain cells are dying here .............. FAST.
April 11, 2013 at 5:59PM     
I've had enough of her. And it's too hard for R to take the time off to drive me the one hour it takes to get there. After this visit I'm going to find someone more local.

Do you all watch Jeopardy? The commercials? At the end of the show, you could find yourself with every disease you never even knew existed! Do only old people watch Jeopardy, or something?
April 11, 2013 at 5:59PM     
tinytykes, your name contradicts a king size bed, sorry :))
April 11, 2013 at 6:00PM     
olldroo
Bobbi, I think as you get older you do need doctors handier and more readily available. It can take me 1/2 hour to get to my doctor and 2 weeks to get an appointment with her. I asked her one time if I should make an appointment every week in case I got sick. Trouble is, I have followed her around for over 20 years now and she really is good, plus she is highly thought of and is in with all the good specialists so if she needs to refer me, I know I am going to get someone really good.

Don't know Jeopardy.

Waiting for tinytykes bed problem.
April 11, 2013 at 6:03PM     
olldroo
Bobbi, go and have a power nap!!!!
April 11, 2013 at 6:04PM     
Roo, seriously. It's time to locate a new doc. A nap? Nap.....let's see, I kind of remember what that is. Oh yes! Isn't that what got our David in so much trouble the other day? Isn't that what my dog does ALL DAY??? It's a dogs life, I tell ya.
April 11, 2013 at 6:07PM     
kimdee24
Naps are the best thing. Ever. I had one myself this afternoon.
April 11, 2013 at 6:09PM     
I've got a sweet little kitty in my lap and she has been napping for over an hour. I can type pretty well with one hand. 9:22. night all.
April 11, 2013 at 6:22PM     
Night Judy!
April 11, 2013 at 6:30PM     
S. Thomas Kutch
Roo..... I promise you if I fixed a breakfast of gas house eggs, my cheese grits and sour dough biscuits with sausage white gravy..........you would sing a different tune.
April 11, 2013 at 6:30PM     
STK, if Roo doesn't want it, I'll take it. Love biscuits and gravy!
April 11, 2013 at 6:31PM   
judyg...my husband is "tickled" you are trying his potato salad recipe. Bobbi..you are right! My Hubby is a keeper! Several of my girlfriends are waiting for me to kick off and have "dibbs" on him. He's not my first so I always tell him he's the best husband I've ever had. Bobbi..you are cracking me up...you should "go on the road!"

BTW...my "formal" living room has too many throw pillows. Guilty as charged. :) In truth, NOBODY sits in there, ever.

I don't watch Jeopardy. I feel stupid enough without being reminded how much I don't know. :)
April 11, 2013 at 6:33PM     
Pet peeve sayings..."at the end of the day.."
April 11, 2013 at 6:35PM     
Thanks, Darzy! Are you kicking me out of here?????
April 11, 2013 at 6:35PM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Judy.... I'm on to your game..... the side effects of your little gem is that I will feel compelled to root for the Boston Red Soxs...........NEVER!
April 11, 2013 at 6:36PM     
lol. NOOOO bobbi.. love to have you around. "on the road" as a comedian!

BTW...do you remember when the shag carpets came with a rake? Looooong shag?
April 11, 2013 at 6:38PM     
I do remember the shag rake! Do you remember the hanging candles, that were poured into a hollowed out rock that weighed only about a million pounds???
April 11, 2013 at 6:40PM   
olldroo
What is a gas house egg? Sounds gross for starters. I am just not a gravy person at all, never have been, too greasy for me. I'm just not into grease at all. I think your biscuits are like scones aren't they? I know what we call biscuits, you call cookies. Cookies to us are larger and generally softer biscuits.

Night all you lot going to bed, I am going to get some housework done.
April 11, 2013 at 6:44PM   
olldroo
Darzy I mentioned the shag rake when I was reminiscing over the disasters of the 70s above. Don't remember hanging candles though.
April 11, 2013 at 6:45PM     
kimdee24
I remember the shag rake! Well, I remember my mom with the shag rake. I believe our carpet was orange... excuse me, I have to go strangle my dog... grr
April 11, 2013 at 7:00PM     
olldroo
tinytykes - come back with your bed problem
April 11, 2013 at 7:14PM   
astraea
I think we need to develop a "dictionary" of all the buzz expressions we read repeatedly; "adding a pop of color", "beef things up", etc. Then we could see who can write the best response that uses the most expressions! I think I've actually seen one or two like that by professionals (or wannabes), where the entire post was just a string of expressions to impress people, not really provide a simple answer to the original poster!
April 12, 2013 at 4:11AM     
handymam
great idea astraea! I got mine in already, lol.
April 12, 2013 at 4:43AM     
olldroo
Then again Astraea, maybe they have a caustic wit like us.
April 12, 2013 at 5:59AM     
Linda
how about "white it out" ... I realize that's not 100% unique from "paint the trim/cabinets white" but it does have a somewhat different usage
April 12, 2013 at 10:08AM   
kimdee24
I have a pet hog who sleeps with me. Except she's a Shih-tzu. And snores like a hog. Whole big bed, why does she get 2/3rds? :)
April 12, 2013 at 11:14AM     
astraea
Judyg - Don't know how to prepare okra, so that it's not "slimey"!
April 12, 2013 at 11:39AM   
Ironwood Builders
Astraea, Slice the okra in rings (use very fresh), dust it with a mixture of fine cornmeal about 2/3rds, corn starch, 1/3 and salt and pepper. Sieve out the excess meal and in hot olive oil, saute the okra. Not traditional southern style..but not slimy either.
April 12, 2013 at 11:47AM     
Ironwood Builders
Kimdee...that sounds like me..except for the she part.
April 12, 2013 at 11:47AM     
astraea
Dave - I don't fry stuff; isn't there any other way? What makes them slimy .. cooking too long?
April 12, 2013 at 11:56AM   
kimdee24
@Mr. Ironwood -- I let it slide, because she's also nice and warm :) and she's the only other living, breathing creature in the house. Wish I could teach her to hunt spiders tho. Dogs are good people!
April 12, 2013 at 12:31PM   
Ironwood Builders
Astraea, Sauteing is like stir fry...very little oil..just enough so it won't stick. Use a Silverstone pan and less than a teaspoon of oil for two people. And yes, the longer you cook it the slimier it gets.

kimdee...that's very nice of you ...I developed callouses on my ribs after many years of bruising! I guess my snoring was a bit louder! Dogs are good dogs...they are at least one step closer to nirvana than humans and it would be a step backwards for them to be people! I've had fly killer dogs...never a spider hunter though. What do you do about snakes and rodents if spiders are that much of an issue? I personally hate rats..give me the heebie-jeebies...but man, I'll throw stuff at them all day....beat them with sticks...whatever!
April 12, 2013 at 12:52PM     
kimdee24
No rats in Alberta! Not a one! It's a fact... they hunt them at the border or something. Alberta Rat Patrol. I don't think I've ever seen a snake, either. The nice thing about the tundra is that NOTHING survives the winter. And truth be told... even the spiders aren't that bad... black common house spiders mainly... but they're fast... and sneaky. Easily dealt with by a well-aimed flip-flop, but the hebbie-jeebies take a bit longer to die down. Blehh! As for my dog... she's a better 'person' than most people I know. 12 years old and I will tolerate her snoring in my ear for as many more years as I'm allowed to!
April 12, 2013 at 2:37PM     
Ironwood...nice okra recipe! I wash the okra to get the "'slime" off then coat with cinch cornbread mix then fry fast. My husband is the bigger fan of it.
April 12, 2013 at 5:19PM   
Astraea, I have never had okra. I thought it was bobbi's favorite color ochre.

STK. father-in-law played for the Red Sox. You be nice, now. I'll find his pix. http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/a8c46da9
April 12, 2013 at 5:31PM     
astraea
Darzy - Is there something on the outside of the okra that causes the slime when it cooks, that you can actually wash off before cooking?
April 13, 2013 at 4:37AM   
handymam
eztia, I haven't thought about what I will replace it with, but that is actually a good idea! Thanks for the reminder.
April 13, 2013 at 5:33AM   
olldroo
Do you have a choice of water usage for toilets? We don't and I can see my new ones are going to drive me up the wall. I have to flush at least 3 times and don't have the pressure to wash the bowl properly, so half the time I still have to brush the bowl, flush again and then wash the brush. Where is the water saving in all that??
April 13, 2013 at 6:06AM     
handymam
Yes roo, there are toilets that use less water, and what you are saying is exactly the reason a lot of people don't like them! They have ones that have "turbo flush," but they are of course, more money. And again, the reason a lot of people don't buy them.
April 13, 2013 at 6:22AM     
olldroo
It really seems strange you having water saving loos when the bowls fill up so much. Seems a contradiction. We only have a couple of inches in the bottom.
April 13, 2013 at 6:30AM   
handymam
I think it has to do with how much water is in the tank itself. It uses less water in there to flush out the bowl. But as you said, sometimes, it isn't enough. People used to save water by putting a brick in the tank to raise the level, but it isn't a good idea because the brick breaks down and pieces get in the system.
April 13, 2013 at 6:35AM   
olldroo
Yes, I remember the old bricks. It just annoys me the stupid greenies here yell and everyone listens to them, they get what they want and everyone else suffers. All my new taps are water saving now with the new bathrooms and it is the one aspect I find a nightmare. Just to quickly was my hands seem to take forever as the aerated water makes the soap foam up more and then it doesn't wash down the plug hole and I have to keep rinsing till it is gone. If I leave it, it just makes the bowl look gunky. I don't enjoy a shower anymore either. I have options on the shower head for a sprinkle or a jet or a mix of both - the sprinkle does nothing and the jet gets annoying. I am definitely using far more water, especially when I shampoo my hair. We have a separate hot water system for the ensuite and I regularly run out of hot water now just as I am finishing my shower, where before 2 people could have decent showers from one tank. Not only using up more water, but more electricity too.
April 13, 2013 at 6:50AM     
astraea
There are many allegedly "green" ideas that I don't believe really are more eco-friendly or money-saving in the end .. and I hate that the government is getting involved in such minutiae, telling us what we can & can't use! Toilets are one of them, those compact bulbs are another.

I have a lot of cap lights; as they burn out, I have no choice but to use those new bulbs .. and they take 5 minutes to warm up enough to provide the same amount of light as the old bulbs did. I put one in my off-season MBR closet. I wanted to switch handbags, but had to leave the light on 5 minutes to have enough light to actually see the bag I wanted on the shelf; with the old bulb, it would have been on 15 seconds, then turned off again .. so how is that a cost savings? Ditto for the kitchen; I have one of those new bulbs in one corner .. I have to make sure it's NOT the corner where I do all my work, because again it takes 5 minutes to get bright. So when an old bulb goes in a heavily used area, I have to strategize where I can take another old bulb from & replace it with one of those "responsible bulbs", because I don't use that area as much!

I don't see how my high efficiency washing machine is so efficient either; it runs twice as long as my last machine, and to get the sensors to go thru the spin cycle, I sometimes have to add more to the load .. which didn't need to be washed!
April 13, 2013 at 7:36AM     
Astraea, I feel the same way about those water saving shower heads. Sure, they use less water, and the shower takes twice as long to wash and rinse, so, how am I saving water?

And, here is my best description of okra just for you Astraea - picture the outside as overcooked zuchinni and the inside like an undercooked egg. Another food with no texture, along with avocados.
April 13, 2013 at 7:40AM     
astraea
Bobbi, you've accomplished the nearly impossible .. made okra sound even less appealing, than I already thought it was! :))

I think the government is wrong-headed, by thinking that "forcing people" is the right way to make us more environmentally responsible!

I know people who turn the TV on in every room they're in .. then leave them on all day, as they move about thru the house .. but they crow about being environmentally responsible with their light bulbs. The only place I have lights or a TV on, is the 1 room I happen to be in at the time .. so how terrible would it be for me to have conventional bulbs that are bright as soon as you flip the switch?!
April 13, 2013 at 8:12AM     
olldroo
Bobbi, how can you say a rich creamy avocado ripened to perfection has no texture, I love the feel of it on my tongue.

Astraea, as far as I am concerned those light bulbs are downright dangerous. BH keeps putting them in and I take them out. He put one in the front entrance one time and I wasn't aware of it flicked the light and had the motion to continue to go down the step to the lounge room - no light happened and I missed the step. Once it wouldn't have bothered me, but I just don't bounce like I used to anymore. We can get so many light bulbs here now it is absolutely ridiculous. We have slow lights, normal lights, long squiggly ones, short squiggly ones, normal bulbs, spot type bulbs, candles, then there are the flourescent tubes in all sizes and shapes and LED lights, then they come in clear or frosted, warm or cold colours - and they vary depending on brand - dimmable/not dimmable, bayonet or screw AND then there is the wattage to find and either remember the new watts or convert to the old - not that it matters all that much as we are now told the conversions aren't correct anyway. I know the people at the shops are tearing their hair out with them and no one has the space for a full range so it is a matter of going shop to shop to find the right one.
April 13, 2013 at 8:15AM     
kimdee24
The last time I went shopping for light bulbs, I stood in the aisle in a state of pure confusion. All I wanted was a 40W halogen spot. But nothing says "40W" anymore, it seems. Lumens? WTH?
April 13, 2013 at 8:24AM     
olldroo
Thanks dimdee, I forgot about halogen, another one to add to the list. Is that what the new watts are called now - lumens, have to remember that. I think 40 is about an 8?? Would that be right?? Fortunately our packets still give the old and new, don't know what I will do if they ever stop that. Apparently I think it is 12 is a 60w but it is actually only 50w so you have to consider how you are using it whether you can cope with less light or go up to a 75w but then that depends on the light fitting and whether it will take any heat. Not sure with the new lights, I know one does get hot but not sure the the cool one stays cool or still heats up after a while.
April 13, 2013 at 8:30AM   
Astraea, the bottom line on okra is (IMO) it's disgusting. Don't mean to offend okra lovers everywhere! I cannot eat foods with no texture, avocados included, sorry roo!
April 13, 2013 at 8:33AM   
kimdee24
olldroo -- it's very confusing. I stood there for a long long time, threw up my hands in frustration and left the store.
April 13, 2013 at 8:43AM     
astraea
If I had know they were eliminating conventional flood light bulbs, I would have bought out the inventory of the local lighting store! And I've thought of buying them from outside the U.S. even now!! I go to an electrical supply store, because the people at Homey Depot only know what's on the shelf, they know very little about the products themselves .. except maybe a few of them. I hate that I've even seen posts on Houzz, about eliminating halogen bulbs/lamps, because they get so hot & can cause a fire. My desk lamp is a halogen, and sitting there by itself, I don't stick my hands where they don't belong, or stick paper by the bulb, so guess what .. NO fire!

I'm a fan of avocados too .. love them, eat at least once a week. Yummy with crunch veggies & salsa.
April 13, 2013 at 8:48AM     
Linda
astraea - If you're looking to get a stash of flood light bulbs,you might find some at out of the way hardware stores, thrift stores, garage sales or a ReStore near you. When I volunteered at ReStore, we always had lots of discontinued products donated, including boxes and boxes of old light bulbs

Lumens is a measure of the quantity of light generated. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the light in terms of color temperature or how different lights change the way your eye perceives colors. Thus, a lumen rating doesn't depend on the type of light bulb or the amount of energy used by that bulb.
April 13, 2013 at 9:44AM   
handymam
Light bulbs...Guess you haven't been stocking up astraea, like my husband has? We are not going down without a fight!! We have turned into lightbulb hoarders, lol. Had to buy a new light fixture for my son's room recently and it came with some weird kind of bulbs. Better than florescent, but I still think they give a weird, though bright, light. My son loves it. Good for you kid, because that's all there is going to be someday. Really think the move to get rid of incandescent is a ridiculous argument to begin with. If I am paying for the energy, what's it to anyone else? There are so many things that are so hypcritical about the government telling us what to do, and protecting us from ourselves it isn't funny. I tell my kids that at least I am old and won't have to put up with the changes for as long as they will. I say it like I am kidding, but i actually mean it. The world is going crazy!
April 14, 2013 at 5:35AM     
olldroo
Handy - it isn't change I'm against when it is logical, realistic, energy efficient, and economical, it is change for change sake that p****es me off, in this case nothing has been thought out and we just have chaos. This is just typical of everything the greenies have come up with and wonder why people treat them as a joke.
April 14, 2013 at 6:21AM     
astraea
Handy - I have 2 boxes of lightbulbs from my other house .. but I never had cap lighting before, so by the time I needed to replace any flood light bulbs, the old kind was already not available!

Kills me when the government "enforces" what they consider environmental responsibility with light bulbs, but half the people into them also drive gas-guzzling SUVs! I still do see H3 Hummers on the road too.
April 14, 2013 at 6:26AM     
What is cap lighting? Is that like recessed lighting? Our previous owner literally had more money than brains and she installed no less than 14 recessed lights in the living room. The room isn't that big!!! And then, of course, the idiot flipper painted the lightbulbs so they all had to be taken down and really really cleaned. I'm a lucky gal that R knows how to do this stuff.
April 14, 2013 at 6:30AM   
astraea
Yes; cap & recessed lighting is the same. I find it convenient, but with my high ceilings, God help me when I have to replace the bulbs at the top (which I fortunately don't use much). I like that both the great room & kitchen have 2 levels of cap lights; at the top of the ceiling, and around the perimeter of the kitchen & where the ceiling drops between the great room & foyer. Reminds me; I need to replace one of those good old bulbs I "stole" from the foyer, for the kitchen where I really need it!
April 14, 2013 at 6:38AM     
Do you have yours on a dimmer switch? I would like that, especially since we have so many.
April 14, 2013 at 6:40AM   
astraea
The kitchen lights are just on/off, but the ones in the dinette & great room are on dimmers. I like that, because since the switches aren't nearby when you're watching TV, it's nice to have them on very low, so you can move around without falling over the furniture!
April 14, 2013 at 6:47AM     
Yeah, that's always a good thing :)) You don't really want to go bump in the night!
April 14, 2013 at 6:48AM   
kimdee24
I put all my kitchen, great room and dining room lights on dimmers. It's nice to be able to have them low when you want, for parties or for watching tv. I too have high ceilings with recessed cans, 11 feet up. I am dreading the day when one of those bulbs goes out, I'm not sure how I'll get up there to change it.
April 14, 2013 at 6:58AM     
Changing those up high light bulbs is easy! You hire someone, and change them all at the same time :))
April 14, 2013 at 6:59AM     
astraea
I'm sure they have poles with clamps to unscrew the bulbs, but you need to have strong shoulders for that .. and I don't. I should try to find out if anyone around here has a little monkey I could borrow :))
April 14, 2013 at 7:06AM     
OLLD 11/4.....
Afternoon everybody.........just catching up. Been...
OLLD 11/4
Old Ladies Love Design, New Thread!!! Morning all!...
OLLD11/11/13
HAPPY VETERANS DAY Are there any veterans out there....
OLLD 11/11
Good morning and happy Veterans Day! I was thinking....you...
Crown Molding for 11' X 11' 4" Nursery
Hello! I am trying to select molding for my baby girl...
Help!!
I am working with clients that just purchased a (1980's...
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...
1920s Cottage Needs Updating
Hello all, I just purchased an older home with a lot...
Any ideas on renovating to improve this entrance-way??
Low roof line and so close to the ground....what could...
Super small bed room
Super small space. excuse the mess. storage has been...