Paneled walls
camcintosh
I'm buying a house! The living room walls are paneled wood! I saw an idea to paint them instead of take them down, has anyone done this before? If so, how did it turn out?
lilion
I am soon to start painting paneling in my house, but have not yet. My son's bedroom is painted paneling, but was painted when I moved in. Looks fine. I've done fairly exhaustive research on this. It appears that the key is to prime it. We really want it to look nice, so we're going to experiment a bit on a piece of left-over in our garage.

I was going to cover it with paintable wallpaper, but the steps were: 1. fill gaps, 2. prime, 3. hang paper (with a paper liner if necessary), 4. paint. I have decided to skip the paper. We're going to experiment with filling the gaps with joint compound so we don't have the grooves. Whether it works or not, we are going to 1. do a light sanding with an orbital sander, 2. prime and 3. paint. I'm sure it will look great!
April 11, 2013 at 9:13AM   
Re/Max Synergy
Painted paneled walls can look great. You will want to find out if your paneling is actual wood or if it is a laminate. Either way it can be done and is an economical way to update the look of the room. I would use a primer similar to the Glidden gripper primer. It can be applied to a wide variety of surfaces. Make sure all panel surfaces are cleaned before you start!
April 11, 2013 at 9:17AM   
gray/black granite countertop and need help choosing a backsplash
Any ideas? want a lighter backsplash to blend. Any...
Need help updating the exterior of a brick ranch
Hello. I am hoping that some of you will have some...
What to do with this nook?
Our kitchen and family room was designed by an architect...
Pewter or Brown curtain rods for the bedrooms
I am so confused as too what color curtain rods to...
Quick color question
The painter is coming Thursday or Friday to paint our...