I need help! The gray makes me depressed!
brochester30
What is wrong with my family room? I really want to use a neutral palette and don't want to use an accent color but room just looks depressing. What should I do? What do I need to add/change?
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Sleigh bells or another similar blue from BM would look great with this palette-and there is nothing depressing about it.
April 11, 2013 at 12:12PM     
I love it. Just needs some other color. And bigger round glass and wood coffee table. Add new art to back wall very large oil painting contemporary 6x7ft. In reds. Add a couple red pillows to mix. Put throw on chair let hang over back, not across back. Remove items from bookcase too cluttered. Add silk plants. Add silk tall palm to side of windows leading into other room. Color will make it pop.
April 11, 2013 at 12:16PM   
brochester30
CRM - That's a pretty color. I had originally thought that I need to paint the wall that the TV is on so maybe I will look in to that color. Thank you!
April 11, 2013 at 12:17PM   
mpoulsom
remove some of your monotone artwork and put some great punches of color...wouldn't take much..just a few nice paintings I think......and maybe a 2 throw pillows with some color. Some fresh flowers!
the room is lovely!!! you've done a great job!
April 11, 2013 at 12:18PM     
Gray works with a variety of colors, which means any pops of color would work as a secondary accent piece.
April 11, 2013 at 12:18PM   
I would paint a lite gray. Will bring the room together.
April 11, 2013 at 12:18PM   
brochester30
travisinteriors - Thank you! I think I want to stay away from red because I don't have that color anywhere else in the house and I want it to flow. However, I agree with you on the table. I thought about getting something bigger because what I have is chintzy. It needs to be heavier.
April 11, 2013 at 12:19PM   
mpoulsom
painting example..if you found something like this, you could change out your accessories with the season if you wanted to....great mix of almost any color. you could do a little green in spring...a little red at christmas, a little orange at halloween time...etc
April 11, 2013 at 12:21PM     
brochester30
mpoulsom - I think you are right on the artwork. It is so boring! Just need to decide what to get....
April 11, 2013 at 12:22PM     
Remember picture should cover almost all the wall. Hang 4" above wood trim.
April 11, 2013 at 12:24PM   
What are other colors in yr home? Red would just be a accent color in painting. Don't be afraid of color. It's what brings a room to life.
April 11, 2013 at 12:26PM     
brochester30
travisinteriors - It is very neutral. Black, greys, beige, creams...I know. I need to add some color but still not sold on red. My previous home was accented with red so I want to try something different.
April 11, 2013 at 12:29PM   
www.newjerseyaccents.com
I think you should punch it up with a hint of gold or mustard yellow. https://www.etsy.com/listing/116183656/gray-and-yellow-ikat-throw-pillow-cover?
April 11, 2013 at 12:30PM   
Ekhaya Designs
You said, " I don't want an accent color." I say, " paint the walls gray." Grays come in many shades, look for a gray that's almost looks like your chair. Just make sure the shade of gray paint you purchase has a lot of white in it so that once you paint your walls the room won't be dark.
April 11, 2013 at 12:30PM   
mmilos
The room needs pattern. I would look for a different patterned area rug that has some color in it but coordinates with what you have. Then add throw pillows in an accent color pulled from the rug.

You have a great start.
April 11, 2013 at 12:32PM   
brochester30
mmilos - You think I should add an area rug over carpet? That's an idea...
April 11, 2013 at 12:34PM   
mmilos
^ Yeah, I would.
April 11, 2013 at 12:34PM     
brochester30
Ekhaya - I definitely need to think about painting the walls and I like your idea about painting it the color of the chair. Something light that will add a little bit of color.
April 11, 2013 at 12:35PM   
brochester30
etsy.com - I was thinking a shade of gold! Might bring in some warmth to the room. Love that pillow! I think you could be on to something. :)
April 11, 2013 at 12:37PM   
colleen55
Pick your favorite color and repeat it in art work, pillows, and candles. You do need a bigger heavier coffee table.I would get a distressed wooden one to bring in texture .A blue would be nice on throws and pillows .Ligth gray walls would be nice also (blue gray).
April 11, 2013 at 12:46PM   
mpoulsom
brochester...you could find an abstract similiar to something like that with muted colors....they don't have to be that bold....imagine that painting with duller tones to it. I used to have a better example..but not sure i have it anymore.
nah..can't find it. but look on etsy at original art..you will be amazed! go to local galleries, go to some street festivals this spring/summer where art will be, go to your local college or university and check out student works. Find something you love though! don't just buy a piece of art because you have to have one! Love it!!! :)
Just make sure it has some color in it! lol
April 11, 2013 at 12:49PM     
brochester30
colleen55 - You are right. I think I need to get a new coffee table. Something heavier. I also need texture and a distressed one would bring that in. Thanks! :)
April 11, 2013 at 12:50PM   
brochester30
mpoulson - Love the art that you attached just don't know if I want something that bold. What I did was put up the pictures and iron piece and didn't really love it from the start. Should have just waited until I found something that I loved! Thanks!
April 11, 2013 at 12:52PM   
mpoulsom
Look at what this small pop of color in various spots does to this mostly monotone room....doesn't take much. :)
April 11, 2013 at 12:52PM   
mpoulsom
oops forgot pic...
April 11, 2013 at 12:53PM     
anne dee

Adding one single color as shown in the inspiration photo will give you that added pop without having to change anything. You could place a colorful tray on yr coffee table.
(PS I have the same color scheme)
April 11, 2013 at 12:58PM   
studio10001
You're right about the addition of texture here. Items with greater refectivity take on greater importance in a neutral palette, as well.
April 11, 2013 at 12:59PM   
orangecamera
I think your room could use some different textures, everything is smooth. Here are two knitted pillows that would add texture without adding color. And here are 2 fabrics that you might like if you decide to add yellow/gold.
April 11, 2013 at 1:07PM     
LB Interiors
I love everything that you've done. Great job! For inexpensive tweeks ... The throw draping over sofa as 'travisinteriors' said. Maybe a throw with a bit more color?

Paint an accent color directly on the wall behind the iron piece to add a soft punch of color. Today, not all rooms have to have the same colors throughout. It sounds like there are so many neutrals (while they are very comfortable and soothing) they sometimes lack a little life and energy. You wouldn't have to do a lot at all.

Two pillows to switch out what you have and keep the rest. I suggest adding some soft shade of coral, blue/green or a teal that gives some difference. or all color accents. Add a few plants. Bookcase could be simpler with a few larger items with negative space and a touch of a new color here and there. Don't fill all the spaces.

The round table between the sofa and chair could be larger. Maybe a soft white table or glass top. Coffee table looks a little fragile, something beefier? Sculpture on left in front of fieplace?

Just think you need pillows and a few accessories. Would not change walls or furniture unless you are ready. Great job.
Accessories butterfly pillow 1
Accessories butterfly pillow 2
Accessories butterfly pillow 3
April 11, 2013 at 1:08PM   
mpoulsom
and you're missing a lamp my dearest! just noticed that! that will also bring life and warmth to your room!
April 11, 2013 at 1:12PM     
orangecamera
Oh, and you could certainly use more lights in the room. Put lamps on the table between your sofa and chair. I can't see the other side of the room, but the more lights the merrier. Lights at different levels adds a lot of interest, so put floor lamps in too.

And some plants...you can put them in pots that add your accent color, or go with bright white.
April 11, 2013 at 1:13PM     
orangecamera
mpoulsom and I were posting at the same time!
April 11, 2013 at 1:13PM   
Judy M
I like your room, it does not look boring to me, it's looks calm and comfortable. I am a big fan of neutral colors.

Here is what stands out for me.

If the bookcase shelves are removable and adjustable, I would remove one shelf in each section and re-space them, so there is more room between the shelves. Then you can put fewer but larger items on the shelves.

A large ottoman as a coffee table ( would allow you to bring in some texture fabric) or a wooden one for warmth . A large piece of statement art would look great on the wall.

And lastly, the table next to the chair seems skimpy.
April 11, 2013 at 1:20PM   
mpoulsom
]
i am voting for a round wooden coffee table! :)
when you get to that point that is....i know this is not what you were asking for..i just couldn't stop myself...lol
i'll shutty uppy now!
April 11, 2013 at 1:32PM     
brochester30
mpoulson - Love that picture! That would look great in my room!

orangecamera - You're right. The room is flat. I need to change out at least 2 of the pillows. And lights! Yes, I need lamps. The only problem is that I will probably need to put it behind the sofa next to the windows. Think so? I don't want it in the middle of the room because we have kids and balls are normally flying around everywhere! We have a fan in the room now but I was thinking about a large drum pendant would be nice. Don't think my man would like that though...

LB Interiors - Thanks! :) Hadn't thought about the small black table. It is too small! Darn! I can probably put is somewhere else. I know. A new coffee table has to be purchased.

Judy - Never thought about the built-ins like that. They do look too cluttered and taking out a shelf would make a great difference.

Anna Dee - The tray is boring now! I was thinking a little bundle of flowers or something to put on there. Just haven't found anything that I love yet. A pop of color there would be nice, too.

I have a lot to do! Thanks so much everyone. These are GREAT ideas. And that long gray throw looks terrible but my little dog likes to lay up there and check out the view.
April 11, 2013 at 1:38PM   
LB Interiors
I forgot to mention... is there a possibility of puttng a sofa table behind the sofa and add two lamps there? I prefer not to look at the back side of a sofa whenever it may be possible.
April 11, 2013 at 1:46PM     
studio10001
A large arc floor lamp tackles the window/ceiling problem.
April 11, 2013 at 1:46PM     
LB Interiors
A tray would be fine on a coffee table but you would need something taller and interesting on it.
April 11, 2013 at 1:49PM   
muppetsmom
Why don't you want an accent color? It's all that you need - just a little punch of color, in some cushions, and maybe a bit on the wall...would look fantastic! It's already a beautiful room, won't need much! And, you can change an accent color with the seasons - yellow for spring, or red for winter, or fun colors - turquoise, bright coral... Try it with a scrap of fabric stuck in amongst the cushions - even use a sweater or scarf to see if you like it...no expense to try :D
April 11, 2013 at 2:09PM     
Judy M
This is a family room and it needs to fit the needs of your family, your kids will grow up and there will be plenty of time then for lamps and fancy throws ( i have a not so fancy (but comfortable throw) on my lap right now.

I have a large built in cabinet and when my kids were little the closed doors at the bottom held lots of toys and games, now it holds toys for my grandchildren.

Add the tweaks to the room that still allow it to be liveable for your family, that's why they are called family rooms! If you add nothing else to the room, it is still a nice room already.
April 11, 2013 at 2:20PM   
orangecamera
Warning: Unsolicited Advice Ahead! When my children were little enough to want to throw balls in the house, but old enough not to put everything in their mouths, I gave them balloons to toss around. Regular old balloons, nothing special. We also took balloons when we traveled, so they could toss them around in hotel rooms (and they take up no space in a suitcase).

Okay, back to decorating!!!
April 11, 2013 at 2:22PM     
Patricia Pelgrims
IMO it's the dark curtains that suck the life out of the room. I would go with a near white fabric. But that's just me.
April 11, 2013 at 2:24PM     
orangecamera
If there's an outlet under the window, you can run a lamp's wire under the sofa to the table. Get an inexpensive lamp that won't break your heart if it gets broken. Kids need light for playing, and for curling up with a book or a board game. They'll (probably) learn not to knock the lamp over. Most kids grow up in houses with lamps.
April 11, 2013 at 2:27PM   
It's a Beautiful World!
brochester, if you are not a fan of vibrant colors you can opt for muted shades of the colors you do enjoy. Here is an example of a muted version of orange/red in artwork... Raisa
April 11, 2013 at 3:27PM   
brochester30
LB - I would love to put a sofa table behind the couch. I'm thinking of painting my son's changing table to put there. The lamps would look fantastic on that!

Mupptsmom - I'm open to an accent clor. Just trying to decide which color. Nothing too vibrant though. I'm not that risky!

Judy m - We have a play room on the first floor that I like to keep all of their toys in. That way, I don't have to look at them! ;)

Orange camera - Great idea! Our 2 little ones love balloons! There is an outlet under the curtain. I can plug them in there!

Patricia Pelgrims - Oh no! I can't take the curtains down. They were so hard to find. Our ceiling is 121 inches high. I have to make them work somehow.

It's a beautiful world - Thanks! Something to think about!
April 11, 2013 at 5:23PM     
Cheery Curtains
Your room needs some colors to cheer up. Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations.
April 11, 2013 at 7:28PM   
brochester30
Judy M - I think you are right. The shelves have always look a little cluttered to me. I haven't thought about taking out a shelf. I'm going to try it! Thank you! And yes, the table does look chintzy!

Orangecamera - My 2 littlest ones loves balloons. Great idea! Not to sure about the 10 year old but I worth a try. ;) There is an outlet under one of the curtains that I could plug a lamp in to.

Patricia Pelgrims - Oh no! I just bought those curtains. The ceilings are 120 feet high so they were so hard to find. I think I need to work around those.

Raisa - Thank you for the suggestion!
April 12, 2013 at 6:14AM   
Joan McGregor
Change artwork to one larger paintings in blues.Get rid of that throw on back of sofa.Get larger coffee table..Add blue throw and drape on side of sofa.Square side chair and add larger table..Shelf needs to be decluttered. .Add a blue pillow. .
April 12, 2013 at 6:41AM   
I think your room looks very nice. I am with the houzzers suggesting one more color. Yellow is an obvious choice. Do you sew? I would take apart the print pillows on the couch and trim them with a yellow fringe. Something large and yellow for the coffee table and remove the gray throw on the couch. A yellow Parsons sofa table with something like gray and bleached on it…maybe a long low basket.

April 12, 2013 at 7:18AM   
Rad Pad Interiors
Your room is beautiful but you are missing texture for one thing and a few things are out of proportion. Would you be open to a an accent color (s) that would not jump out at you like peach, lilac or slate blue ( I kind of feel like yellow and gray has run it's course, it is everywhere, therefore a little too trendy right now)? these are my suggestions: a) larger square or rectangle coffee table, with a nice interesting tray- laquered perhaps to play off matte tones of a distressed wood surface b) larger round legged table to go between chair and sofa, put a large pottery lamp on it with barrel shade, running cord under sofa to wall with plastic cord protector running to wall c) decorative patterned pillows on sofa in your chosen accent (s) color (s ) d) solid textured, knubby throw on sofa e) a collage of your children's artwork in different sizes and shapes, tied together with similar black frames, but varying shades of your accent color mats, take up the whole wall-make a statement, or you can use black and white favorite family phoots in black frames, same mat idea, with differnt size mats etc-always a conversation starter, and bring in a personal element which you desperately need f) i agree with needing plants, it's amazing what something live will do for a space, palm in beautiful subdued glazed pottery, one in front of each window, would be fabulous-would add texture and they are so heavy a bulldozer cant knock them over g) a beautiful subdued sumac rug over existing rug-add light color and texture h) every room needs a mirror-you chose the right wall, but it needs to be oversized, round and a different finish like antiqued silver, even in a floral or gothic motif, something with interest i) you need a wooden pull up chair with arms near fireplace or kilim style bench in muted shades j) floor lamp behind wooden chair k) garden stool in metallic silver at end of sectional l) add accent color to bookshelves . Lucy, Rad Pad Interiors
April 12, 2013 at 8:04AM   
Time Travel Designs
You made the rule and you can break it! Sometimes a neutral palette can get monotonous but, by introducing an accent color elsewhere on the spectrum, you can add visual interest without disturbing the calm your neutral color story creates. A spa blue is a wonderful accent to shake around your space. Think of accent colors like red pepper flakes in cooking; add a little and you get the kick but use it sparingly...Have fun!
April 12, 2013 at 1:45PM     
Anne Pratt
Don't be afraid of vibrant colors! Just in a painting, 2 throw pillows, or a new throw. Bright yellow, orange, coral, turquoise, as others have suggested will wake it up without braking the bank!
April 12, 2013 at 3:01PM     
kitchenideas2013
Lovely room. Consider removing the dark drapes or replace with an accent color coordinated with a rug or pillows.
April 12, 2013 at 3:52PM   
lady24444
I love your wrought iron wall art. Could you tell me where I can get one?
April 12, 2013 at 4:09PM   
dianahb
Agree with Anne Pratt, above. Some vibrant colors in there, as she suggests, would help a lot. As is, I love the wall colors. And maybe it was just the camera, but it seems dark. I love well-placed table and floor lamps, so maybe additional light would help as well.
April 12, 2013 at 4:30PM   
low living room seating ideas?
Anyone have some ideas for a piece of furniture to...
Bathroom tile dilemma - Advice needed asap!
Long question - Sorry! I am in the process of installing...
searching for mini widespread faucet
tiny powder room/need small mini wide spread faucet...
What color walls for living room? Leave or update?
The walls were done before I updated the upholstery...