HELP! Do I give up closet space or bathtub?? :(

mshutterbugApril 11, 2013
I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out a new master bathroom layout. The space is 12 feet by 10.5 feet. I wanted to include a modest walk-in closet, and my understanding is 5x5 is the smallest you can consider a walk-in. That's about what we had in our old house and it was SMALL, but we managed. I'd really rather go at least a little bigger this time...I really want a separate tub and shower as well.

The problem is, I can't seem to find a layout that will allow me anything over a 5x5 closet without sacrificing the tub or going to a tub/shower combo, which I really don't want. I really want to be able to walk right into the shower most days and then take the occasional soak in a tub (doesn't even need to be a soaker tub, just a standard would work. Does anyone have any ideas for a layout in this size space that will allow me a good size closet with separate shower, tub, and double vanity (or two singles)??

I do have a constraint in that we'd like to leave the toilet in its current location, but husband says we can move it if absolutely necessary. I'm attaching the existing layout for reference, but as I said, only the toilet needs to stay and all walls inside the space will be pulled out to accommodate new design.
jacobcribb
Maybe put the the walk in closet in the corner where the toilet is and then you should be able to get your layout right
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:02PM
mshutterbug
Thanks for the reply! I thought about that, but even doing that I can't quite get the layout to work. And, since it would be pretty expensive to move the toilet it would have to be a very compelling design to do it :D
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:17PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You can make your tub and shower into a wet room behind one glass panel. Search here on Houzz for wetroom examples. Here is just one example, but there are many. [houzz=
Pickering · More Info
]
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:20PM
mshutterbug
Hmmm...that is an interesting concept. What does something like that cost and what are the dimensions? Not sure how to fit that into the space. If I make a long and narrow walk in (5x10 or 5x12 depending on which wall) it only leaves me with a 10x7 space to put the toilet, vanity, tub, shower...
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:24PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
If you take the space where you currently have the shower, you would need to steal 1' of space from the walk in closet the width of the tub in order to put in a 5' tub. It appears once you walk through the opening into the shower/toilet room, there is almost 3.5 ' before you get to the tub. The glass wall/door would go across just to the right as you enter that area. The first section would be shower with the tub behind it.
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:37PM
mshutterbug
Yes, the existing layout is just to show the space...it's very poorly designed I think, with a lot of wasted space, yet cramped. NONE of it is intended to remain (with the exception of the toilet). There is a lot of space between current toilet and tiny shower. The vanity makes no sense where it is either, with a big empty space next to it, but I can see that there wasn't really anywhere else to put it given the way they have the space mapped out. So we are basically planning to demolish all the inner walls and re-position everything...except that I can't come up with a layout that makes sense to fit everything. lol.
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 2:43PM
mshutterbug
Ok, worked up a few layout options... Husband's is the first one with the closet actually WITHIN the bathroom, with no walls. I hate this idea. I think having our clothing exposed to the steam etc. is not a good idea. He thinks if we get a really great bathroom fan it won't be a problem... thoughts?? With his design we can't enclose the closet without encroaching on the space needed to step out of the shower.

So, I've got a couple other designs. I don't feel like any of these are really ideal. I would LOVE some ideas... there must be some way to do this that makes sense. I'm (obviously) not an architect or interior designer, so there must be something I'm missing. I know it's not a huge space, but there must be some clever way to lay it out and make it all work.

He says that moving the toilet isn't a big deal if we need to - so his layout shows the toilet in a new location. I haven't yet mapped out anything with the toilet in a different location.

I've tried to make sure all the minimum clearances are there with adequate walkways etc. For reference, the entire space is 12 feet by 10.5 feet.

Ideas?
    Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:01PM
Need help with my TINY room and closet space!
My room is an 11x11 with an awkward layout. I have...
Angela Williams
Help!!! How can I spice up my dining space???
We have a TINY dining room space in an open concept...
Jessica Downer
More square footage or more closet space?
Ok so I think I've already answered this one, but just...
Sally Wright
Need ideas for closet turned office space.
I have converted this small four foot closet space...
black_sheep
Is an open closet area within bathroom a bad idea?
Husband came up with a design layout for bathroom we...
mshutterbug
SERVER UNIT
Hi! I was lucky enough to inherit this beautiful server...
caronandrews
Accent pillows????
Any suggestions for accent pillows? Ordered turquoise...
jcnellie
A Hare-y bedroom
Im about to embark on designing this bedroom. I have...
toatsmcgoats
Throw Pillows
Hello Everyone! I need to add some pillows and tie...
Kassie F.
Exterior solutions for an addition to a yellow brick bungalow.
We are adding a second story to our yellow brick bungalow...
genacrane
Sponsored Products
56" Boracay Corner Acrylic Tub
Signature Hardware
Hansgrohe Raindance 12-inch 27493821 Brushed Nickel Showerhead
Overstock.com
Sterling Finesse 6506-36 36W x 65.5H in. Rain Glass Shower Door - 6506-36N
$691.99 | Hayneedle
Haven Bath Set in Green
| Dot & Bo
Hydro Systems Jetted Bathtubs Carmel 5 ft. Air Bath Tub in Biscuit CML6030ATAB
Home Depot
Green Potato Tubs - Set of Two
$12.99 | zulily