Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_74580

Dark dark trim... Paint or not to paint??

Maria Anuszewski
11 years ago
The original paint in our house is dark and heavy. It has some marks from the daily wear and tear of life. We are really considering painting it white, feeling it would be clean and bright. We are limited on paint colors due to the red tinge to the trim. Any suggestions?

Comments (61)

• PRO
    Milne Well Dressed Homes
    11 years ago
    Bottom line is do you like the dark trim? The floors are beautiful and will be better accented with the right white or cream trim. It will give it a more current look. But if you keep the dark trim then you really are limited to paint colour. You would have to stay in the earth tones to complement it. Trust me on that. Another tidbit for you, remember when they used to say brown is the new black? Well now they are saying gray is the new brown. The gray trend will be here for approximately 10 years. Check stairways in houzz there are lots of pictures of wood floors, stairs with white railings and risers. Once you see them you will have your answer. If you ask me, wood trim is beautiful if its a beautiful wood in great condition. If its beat up or dated paint it.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Girllll, do not even think about painting g that... Gorgeous as is!!!
  • Bobbie
    11 years ago
    Keep it
  • colleen55
    11 years ago
    I would leave stair treads dark, railing and post dark and paint the rest(spindles and trim) white .Would look fresh and clean.
  • PRO
    Michael Design
    11 years ago
    Paint out all of the trim except the stair. Use a very crisp white to bring out whatever detail the door and window trim might have. Use a white such as Ben Moore Ultra White CC-10 and be sure to use semi-gloss. The white frames will make the openings far more inviting. And keeping the stair dark will make it much more dramatic within the space.
  • User
    11 years ago
    It really depends on if you like dark wood or light wood. Our neighbors have the same colored wood staircase and it is beautiful! I think that I would paint the walls a different color and change the curtains before the wood.
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for all you input! I have a paint phobia because once the wood is gone ... It is gone. Is it worth repainting a warmer color to see if I fall back in love with it? This picture is taken in my dining room. There are pocket doors between rooms. I wanted to give you an idea of the color trim I working with.
    I really just fear going with a darker paint because my goal is to BRIGHTEN up my world.

But the pictures of white wood on this website are really "wowing" me!
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I meant repainting the walls first.
  • zennifer
    11 years ago
    Yes, try reprinting walls first, because as you said...once it's gone it's gone!
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    This is a tough question since it really boils down to personal preference. There is no wrong or right answer. I personally feel more comfortable in light bright spaces and when I am inI old Tudor or Victorian homes that have the original dark wood I feel closed in. Even though I appreciate the beautiful wood, it would be hard for me to live in that environment since I find it too heavy. If you are drawn to light and airy go white. If you do decide to paint the woodwork look at BM dove white, it is a soft creamy color. If you do go the white route I would keep the stair posts, hand rail and risers dark and just paint the spindles. By the way I have painted out many wood trims go the horror of others who were quite impressed with the fresh look, once it was all done.
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh gosh... You just explained how I feel!! Do you have any photos of your finished product?
    Do you see the wear and tear on the post? My painter told me it would stick out like a sore thumb once everything else is fresh and white. Agree???? Or no?
    See, there is worn spots from life that occurs here.
  • echapma
    11 years ago
    You are not limited at all by the color of the wood. Wood is back "in" so if it is custom like this I would keep it natural and paint the walls. A designer told me once custom wood, rock gardens, etc bring the natural outdoors in. A pretty blue either on the lavendar side or the light blue that looks like a swimming pool would look great. Hire a good decorator to come and just pay for 1 hour and have pictures of houses you like with the paint colors that appeal to you and let them pick, I always check the percentage of light the paint reflects and that is usually on the paint swatch to figure out what color to choose due to whether your room is dark or has light.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Paint it, you'll love the light, fresh look.
    Erin Souder Houzz Tour · More Info

Staircase · More Info
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    When you by a tudor or victorian style home, you are buying into an historical period of talented craftsman and detail. The stained wood showcases the wood and wood grain. A more traditional or contemporary style home would have better suited your cheery, free spirit. I too, have a tudor home. I have played up the dark wood with golden undertone paint...spicy reds..and earthy greens and eggplants. Creamy white ceilings and proper lighting (we installed smaller recessed cans everywhere) help spot light all of our walls and furnishings. Having said that...and you are in your house for the long haul...here are some pics to help you decide what to paint. I would call in the professionals to make the job look stunning, but to make sure it lasts. The last pic shows how you can paint surrounding trims, but leave stairwell alone, other than to restain and poly.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    @Maria...It is easy to touch up niks in stain...just wipe on a product marketed for this purpose...I have just used a cloth and stain(-hand wiped on wood) using as close to original color as I could find....
  • maryinthefalls
    11 years ago
    Just fix the wood! First determine what the finish is. Most likely it is shellac (dissolves in alcohol). If so, clean it with a little odorless mineral spirits, then get some gel stain and dab it on the raw spots and then give everything a new coat of shellac. You will be amazed at how wonderful it looks. This will be much faster than painting. Test the color in a hidden place until you get it right. Probable you want to use mahogany gel stain and maybe garnet shellac. Remember to have plenty of ventilation. Even if you decide to paint :((, do the future a favor and recoat everything with clear shellac so that the paint stripping is easier.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I would not paint the wood - it is a masterpiece. I believe the reason we have the so called modern painted wood is because contractors could use a less expensive grade of wood. In my house there is a combination of painted and natural stain. If you are just dying to paint, come over to my house. The painted surfaces need far more upkeep than the stained. I could use someone to paint and help me keep it up. Just kidding; but it is true. Painted bannisters need to be touched up far more often than you might think compared to stained wood.

I think if you had some vibrant area rugs you would like your decor better. Go to Rugs USA and other sites and take a look! They can add the wow factor to your home.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I don't think from your pictures that your wood is premium wood like oak or mahogany and just because it was once stained means that it must remain so. You would not destroy a "masterpiece" should you decide to paint. Do what you want to make your home your own, critics aside...
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    I agree with bluenan? She and JWinteriors showed some stunning pictures of what your home could be. My house is 97 years old with wonderful architectural features. The white trim does not detract from its wonderful character. It just gives it a more fresh look and makes me happy. Not every old home is a museum and should not be treated as such. It really depends on how you address it and if you respect the architectural integrity. For instance I once lived in a Frank Lloyd Wright type, Usonian home with lots of wood, but the entire backside was glass that let in tons of light.I would never paint that wood because it integral to the concept of the home. Similarly, one would not think of painting the wood in a log cabin. However, the victorians, Tudors etc. painted their woodwork depending on their personal preference, so you are free to do the same.
  • dmoran0
    11 years ago
    I don't know what the rest of your house looks like, but I see a warm coral on the orange side alongside the bannister. That might work even if much of the rest of the house is light and airy. You would have to change the accessories on the console table, though.
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The accessories of my son's Easter basket and the Target bag? ;) I really should have moved them from the picture!
  • dmoran0
    11 years ago
    Then that opens up all sorts of possibilities! :-)
  • myobsession30
    11 years ago
    Dark trim on the banister looks great. Personally, I wouldn't paint it
  • Nancy
    11 years ago
    i live in a very old victorian. I would love to paint the trim, but my husband does not. I feel that your stairs are a totally different color then your trim and banister. I would either strip the wood and re stain to get a nice nick free finish or just paint the risers and the spindles. Just leave the treads and the railing wood. I feel your wood is way to damaged to leave as is. It almost looks like the wood has been stained improperly and just left on like paint. Can't really see any wood grain through it. Your house looks lovely by the way.
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Do you think it is possible to paint the trim but leave the pocket doors as is??
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    By the way, thank all of you for you helpful comments. :)
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And is it possible to leave the doors as is?
    This is our upstairs hallway.
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Our upstairs bedrooms have painted trim (it was that way when we purchased) would it look better all painted? In other words does it look half finished????
  • User
    11 years ago
    Absolutely fine, stained doors and painted trim is a beautiful and classic look!
  • User
    11 years ago
    A few examples...
    Traditional Bathroom · More Info

Master Bedroom Sitting Room with Pocket Doors · More Info
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    Yes , if you look on Houzz, I think they did a piece on black doors. The trim was left white and the doors painted black. It would have a similar look left stained. I understand your reluctance because it is a huge commitment, so take it in baby steps and paint the trim, spindles and risers to start
  • Nancy
    11 years ago
    i totally agree with aniluap2 and bluenan
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Pics..one with greenish walls, one with grey. IMO these rooms don't look dreary or dark, but rich.
  • pitbulls
    11 years ago
    I agree with someone else's comment .paint the trim out and leave the stair rail dark
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    Bluenan has given you a great visual of how it can look.
  • colleen55
    11 years ago
    Love bluenan second picture.(right side)
  • cbellohio
    11 years ago
    In our craftsman style bungalow we left the woodwork natural downstairs and painted woodwork in the bedrooms and upstairs hallway. The natural woodwork is part of the charm of that style house.
  • ktsljas
    10 years ago
    Oh my gosh!!!! That wood is so beautiful and I am a white fan but don't paint that!
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I live in an 1890 Victorian with heavy oak trim, so I can relate. I have left it alone in the front of the house (living/dining, library, stair, foyer) but have painted it white in the kitchen and adjoining den. I don't see anything wrong with mixing paint and stain this way. I, too, am usually of the "paint it" crowd, but in your case, I like the darkness of the stair. I think it looks very sculptural, and much richer than it would in white. I would repair the stain on the stair, personally. I also think that Jayme Hobbs second photo, in particular, shows how dark trim can look very sophisticated against the right color. That gray wall gives the room a contemporary feel - and the dark trim is kind of like mixing a dark antique into a contemporary space. Ultimately, though, it's a personal decision and probably somewhat dependent upon how long you will live there (my experience has been that most buyers of old homes want as much original as possible)
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    A new wall color that creates less contrast between the walls and trim will lessen the heaviness of the dark trim. Painting just the balusters of the stairway also lightens the heaviness. Personally, I'd paint the the trim. Historical or not, I love the crispness of white trim. A personal choice.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Don't paint it. It's perfect.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    I love it!
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Consider me convinced. Now for the next question, paint color????? Please help with paint colors. Keep in mind I am craving "a lighter look" than heavier. Is there a way to warm things up without adding too much darkness? I agree that a "richer " color is needed. PLEASE ADVISE.
  • Maria Anuszewski
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nancy, I love that look!!
  • PRO
    CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
    10 years ago
    Not sure what else to say here. As a painter, I'd say that anything is possible. If you don't like the all wood look, not sure if leaving it is the best option. Personally, I love it...but I don't live there. You can always refinish woodwork and put quality finishes on it...over time. Or I like what some have said where you do a combination of paint and wood. White Trim does get dinged and nicked pretty easily if down by foot traffic. This is a little harder to keep clean and touch up. If kids are around...less white is better!

So I vote for white where it is less likely to get nicked...then wood everywhere else!
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Maria: Take a look at this Houzz discussion - it is almost exactly the same issue that you have, and I think you can see the difference in the room when they painted it a light gray/blue.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/dark-living-room-needs-a-bright-makeover-dsvw-vd~432529

Here is another room I saw, and I thought that this would be a way for you to perhaps bring some stronger color into your room, without putting it on the walls! I don't personally like this color, in particular, but it gives you the idea:
    My Houzz: Antiques Mingle With Modern Style in a 1920s Tudor · More Info

Search "dark wood trim" on Houzz - lots of photos showing many different neutral wall colors.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Maria: Take a look at this Houzz discussion - it is almost exactly the same issue that you have, and I think you can see the difference in the room when they painted it a light gray/blue.
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/dark-living-room-needs-a-bright-makeover-dsvw-vd~432529

Here is another room I saw, and I thought that this would be a way for you to perhaps bring some stronger color into your room, without putting it on the walls! I don't personally like this color, in particular, but it gives you the idea:
    My Houzz: Antiques Mingle With Modern Style in a 1920s Tudor · More Info

Search "dark wood trim" on Houzz - lots of photos showing many different neutral wall colors.
  • Dina McW
    9 years ago
    Paint it! You won't be sorry!
  • Melissa Freeman
    9 years ago
    Think your trim looks amazinggggg as is!!
  • Olga Kramar
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The trim may seem extra heavy because your walls are bright white. As others have mentioned, walls in a medium shade, still much lighter than the wood, show off the wood's depth and texture and make the wood blend into the room. I agree on the painted all-white maintenance headaches on stairs and railings. They were made from stained wood for a reason.