What to do w/ this corner -kitchen
newhomeowner49684
What should I put in this corner of my kitchen? It's 5 foot by 5 foot.
It's a Beautiful World!
If you need something on the wall, a piece of art, perhaps?... Raisa
April 11, 2013 at 4:23PM   
tennisanyone
A picture of the whole kitchen would help.
April 11, 2013 at 4:32PM     
romey9us
How about a old fashioned cupboard. Shelves on top, doors on the bottom. Something painted but distressed, deeper on the bottom than on the top.
April 11, 2013 at 4:46PM   
Dale Victor
You do not say what the view through the window is? Would you want to sit at a desk and be able to see through the window?
April 11, 2013 at 4:58PM   
newhomeowner49684
@Dale Victor. No way, our houses are on top of eachother. My window looks into my neighbor's dining room.
April 11, 2013 at 5:04PM   
smgolf12
Would you like to sit at a desk and not look through the window :) If you want more privacy but keep the light come through, you could put a etch glass window film.
April 11, 2013 at 6:05PM   
Amy Stanley
It looks like a great place for a black distressed pantry cabinet.
April 11, 2013 at 6:29PM   
Dale Victor
Ok so the view is not wanted. I would venture that the light from it is wanted, if so cover the window with some art paper that is pleasing to you. Then look at how you are using the kitchen and basically feel your way to what you need t be there. If it is cabinetry there are units which function well in corners. If you have a specific need something can be designed for you. I work with one of the best kitchen designers in the Northwest, I can refer you to him if this is what you would want.
April 11, 2013 at 7:36PM   
Dale Victor
I now see an electrical outlet and a heater vent, both of these would need to be incorporated into what ever you do.
April 11, 2013 at 7:37PM   
Amy Stanley
what about a backer's rack?
April 12, 2013 at 5:36AM   
Gabberts Design Studio
Do you need more storage? If you have the budget, I would extend the existing cabinets, and continue around the corner. I would give you great counter space as well.
April 12, 2013 at 5:39AM   
Amy Stanley
I just saw a pic of you full kitchen, I think a pantry cabinet would be perfect for that area you look like you could use one.
April 12, 2013 at 5:40AM     
April 12, 2013 at 5:43AM     
newhomeowner49684
Thanks guys. We are now stuck between considering a pantry cabinet & a breakfast nook. We don't have a dining room (or much room for a kitchen table area) so we'll probably stick to a breakfast nook if we can find a good design/designer.
April 12, 2013 at 11:52AM     
Amy Stanley
Check this out: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80217524/ a really cool idea!
April 12, 2013 at 12:14PM     
amymsm
An old ladder with plants sitting on it?
April 12, 2013 at 12:16PM     
suzanne_m
I just would like to inform you that I changed my username from smgolf12 to suzanne_m.
April 12, 2013 at 1:10PM     
carolannr
#1.Get that industrious dad of yours. 2. Add 2 short wall cabinets about 36 - 40 inches long fitted with bun feet or have your dad build a platform for each into the corner (probably bun feet on the heat vent side at least) to build up to where a cushion makes them both table height benches with storage. 3. Add long cushions on top. 4. Find a cute little round table. Put a café curtain or couple short shutters over the bottom half of the window and you're set for breakfast coffee.
April 12, 2013 at 6:29PM     
newhomeowner49684
@carollannr do you have an example picture?
April 15, 2013 at 2:42PM   
schurer
Amy, that is an awesome idea for the drop leaf table mounte dont he wall--and the price!
April 15, 2013 at 3:38PM   
Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
You can do a pantry but make sure it isn't too deep as to block the window. I would want a table or desk there to look out the window and you could keep the pet bed tucked under and out of the way. It's a win-win!
April 15, 2013 at 3:43PM   
carolannr
Sorry, no, This was something I did years ago for a friend of mine. I've always been a big shopper of the Habitat for Humanity re-store stores. Found two 36" over the stove cabinets, built them up underneath with 2by4s and then added the feet so they were the right height with the cushions I also made. They provide seating and storage for bigger pots, serving bowls or even magazines and toys. You can make them moveable or with extra work, make them permanent to the wall. Since they are only about 12 inches deep, you don't need the extra cushions on the wall. Great for kids too. Because there is that little inset in the top of the cabinets, the cushions don't move around either.
April 15, 2013 at 3:46PM     
house4mjh
Like Gabbets Design Studio suggestion to add cabinets around the corner. Over the cabinet by the refrigerator 2-3 open shelves would be nice to display dishes, decorative vases, pots, 1 shelf for favorite cookbooks, a green plant would thrive by the end of the shelf to get light from the window etc...mjh
April 15, 2013 at 4:07PM     
What lighting? What to do w/kitchen ceiling?
Help, Houzzers! This is a recent remodel. What lighting...
What to do w this kitchen
Without replacing the cabinets Anyone for a remodel For...
What to do with an awkward corner in a galley kitchen
Imam attaching pictures of the kitchen in my new townhouse....
Need color advice for kitchen cabinets and countertop
We have terra cotta tile floors and bright white tile...
Help with ground floor reno- guy who wants to show his wife he cares
I need help- I really want to help my wife and provide...
White bedrooms
Painting bedrooms with dark, natural baseboards and...
ceiling fan or overhead light in spare bedrooms?
We have 3 spare bedrooms and are wondering if we should...
Laundry or mud room??
I have a Laundry/mud room about the size of those narrow...