Help with Sitting Room
hforghetti
Ok so we have moved into a smaller house- we once had a separate dining room and eat in kitchen. We found we rarely used the dining room. Now in our new house my mom suggested we turn our breakfast nook into a seating area. I envision the space to be used as a lounge- place to have a glass of wine, read a magazine, have coffee... So we have setup our kitchen table in the "dining room" space. I need help to balance out the room sitting room. Bench chair against the wall is the focal point (I love- it is staying :) I do need more seating, but don't want to crowd the room- ghost chairs under the art with a table in between??? Would a coffee table work or maybe just an ottoman, end tables options? What type of chandelier would work here? I am worried if we have guests we may regret not having extra space for everyone to eat- should I just put a table in here and be done with it???! Help!
michigammemom
I think you need to reassess how your want this area to function. You say you want to use it as a reading & lounging area, but your upright bench and proposed ghost chairs don't suggest "curl up" comfort. Take a look at this inviting seating area adjacent to the kitchen.
April 12, 2013 at 6:23am   
handymam
If you have another room to eat in, this would be a nice room to use in the way you say. However, I still think that a table or ottoman is needed of some sort to put down that mug of tea or glass of wine.

I am assuming the space next to the upright bench is the same as the opposite wall? Have you considered placing the bench on the wall where the painting is? I don't know what view you have out the windows from either side of the room, but it may be nicer to see the painting from th eadjoining room than the bench. (Painting needs to be raised just about 6 inches, I think. It would allow for a small demilune table under the painting as well for some further interest.) Not sure the rug really works with the painting and bench, nor does it seem restful for this particular room, though it is lovely otherwise.

Without seeing any more of your house or knowing what your style is except for the bench, painting and rug, I think that it would seem that you may want a more contemporary light fixture, and one that comes a bit further down into the room as well.
April 12, 2013 at 6:38am   
hforghetti
Oohh I do like this!!!!... The room is very tiny, so I am not sure I could do a grouping this large. My problem is I fell in love with the chair and jumped on it maybe too soon. :( It's here to stay, so I need to work around it somehow. On the other wall I can try to add a more cushy chair and ottoman, the only reason I suggested those ghost chairs is because the room is so small... I am not so good at this design thing...I am missing the whole "function" piece of it!!! Thanks so much for your help!!!
April 12, 2013 at 6:41am   
hforghetti
Handymam- thanks for your suggestions- the wall opposite is a little smaller, but I could move it there. The chair would pretty much take up that wall. This room is looking left once you come into the front door. It may be nicer looking at a piece of art rather than the chair. Our furniture is rather traditional- I wanted to do something fun and different in this space. That being said, the rug will not work anywhere else, only my son's play room I suppose. I tried to put red's in the mix -art- to tie in my new love (red Bertazzoni range)... The view is nice looking out- it really is my favorite room in the house to sit just need to make it more of a gathering place for guests. Thanks so much for your input! I am def going to consider moving the chair to the other wall!
April 12, 2013 at 6:53am     
michigammemom
Your bench would be a great piece to use in a foyer or bedroom...handy for removing shoes. Here's another example of a smaller scaled kitchen lounge area. Even the dog likes it! :)
April 12, 2013 at 6:54am   
hforghetti
Michegammemom- the two chairs is nice - saved to my favorites as an option. The bench would not work with our bedroom set and we don't have much of a foyer, but it could go where this table is- pardon the mess we are still settling and under construction! This view is looking from the dining room. Do you think the bench could work there?
April 12, 2013 at 7:07am   
samj515
Here is a great light fixture. http://manhattanhomedesign.com/artichoke-lamp-19.html#.UWgUlcrMsY0
Also I think you need more seating and some small side tables. I would match it to your bench. The bench is simply fabulous.
April 12, 2013 at 7:08am     
hforghetti
Samh515- love the light...could I do red or would it be too much?
April 12, 2013 at 7:14am   
handymam
hforghetti, if your look is traditional, not sure that light is going to work for you in any color...
April 12, 2013 at 7:23am   
handymam
Hrd to tell if the bench would work in the dining room without seeing your dining room. It might work in there as you did say you are concerned with having enough seating. Youcould soften the bench and tie it to the dining room if you use throw pillows that pick up the dining room colors.
April 12, 2013 at 7:25am   
Rad Pad Interiors
I like your taste, it's different and a little funky. I think the style of the bench works well with the art and rug. I specialize in using what my clients have, so if the bench is staying-lets work with it! Would love to know the dimensions of the room and the bench. Possibly another angle picture if you're up to sending it. Suggestions based on what i see: a)drapes too short-add a lightwieight patterned fabric border that goes down interior sides and bottom of existing panels so drapes graze the floor, in something fun like an ikat in a contrasting color like sunshine yellow b) find an inexpensive small scale chair and ottoman (pier 1 are famous for these) in a fun pattern, smaller scale-like a floral or geometric. this will work because your drapes and sofa are solids and your rug is a large scale pattern c) replace overhead light with a oversized barrel shade hanging pendant d) remove clock over sofa, scale too small e) find two-three colorful, fun, different paterned pillws to jazz up sofa f) find fun solid throw to throw over arm of sofa g) small round or oval glass topped table-or what would be divine would be an acrylic coffee table but they are usually pretty pricey h) some fun and personal brightly colored accessories i) small end table with a painted arm style lamp for reading that is size appropriate for table j) you need different artwork above sofa-how about kids artwork, bright colored mats but all in black cost effective frames, different sizes and shapes, more of a collage really taking the eye up k) looks like you need to angle or at least turn the rug, it is not working being the exact length of sofa. Hope these suggestions inspire you, keep me updated! Lucy, Rad Pad Interiors
April 12, 2013 at 7:25am   
hforghetti
Handymam-the rest of the house is traditional (boyfriends furniture) But this contemporary style is more me! I figure since this room is pretty much off to itself on the front of the house I could make it it's own style. The red light could be too much though... I was trying to tie the red stove opposite into the mix.
April 12, 2013 at 7:28am     
Michael McHale Designs
if you are going to keep that bench seat (i don't blame you, it's awesome - but it does limit what you can do) I'd suggest a coffee table in front of the bench seat, and then a sweet modern chandelier as a focal point (check out our Tribeca Banqueting Chandelier or the X Chandelier)
April 12, 2013 at 7:35am   
hforghetti
Lucy!!! Thank You!!! What great suggestions. I am moving that clock. I have a ton of my son's artwork- I am going to frame it and put on display rather than tuck it away. I will find fun frames to put it in over the bench perhaps . I agree drapes are too short- its hard finding them in the right length...I bought 95" I think and the next size would have been way too long. Might have to break out the sewing machine. I like the idea of contrasting drapes behind- not sure how to pull that off- double rod? So many other great suggestions for me to run with- thank you!!!
April 12, 2013 at 7:36am   
Heidi Hunt_Kagarakis
Where did you get the bench. Love it! Love the MacKenzie-Childs kettle. If there is room, a bench seat like that is awesome for dining . For drapes you could add material at top to draw the eye up. I have short drapes but I also have a cat so we are going with too short. Ispiration from MacKenzie-Child is your answer, I think.
April 12, 2013 at 7:39am   
handymam
Love the stove! I think a red light might be nice, but just not that style. And do't for get, If you change everything else, you would have a red light to work around unless youchange it also. Any chance you could take down the light that is there, spray it shiny red, add some crystal beading and baubles and rehang it lower?
April 12, 2013 at 7:40am   
Heidi Hunt_Kagarakis
Great suggestions! Drum shade is a yes and you can easily change pot lights to pendant else where if you wish. Chandelier over coffee table, wonderful. Ready to entertain Candice Olson.
April 12, 2013 at 7:42am   
handymam
Heidi, I was thinking the same, but add a piece of colored fabric to the bottom. If you are handy with the sewing machine hforghetti, I would try one or the other.
April 12, 2013 at 7:43am   
Heidi Hunt_Kagarakis
Could you ad drapery rings with clips and have drapes touch the floor? Adding to the bottom is one seam .
April 12, 2013 at 7:51am   
Shana Rowe
If you keep the bench in the sitting room, I would move the bench to the opposite wall, which you said was a bit smaller, so that you can put the artwork on the larger wall that the bench is on now, and since that wall is a bit larger you will have more room to put two more seats under the artwork, with out them being two cluttered. Judging from what I see in the picture of your dining room it looks like your dining room set is black? With place mats that have yellow accents? I think the bench would work perfect there if you use accent pillows with the same yellow as seen in your place mats. That would free up more space in your sitting room, so it won't run the risk of being cramped, and you can add two more chairs on top of the ones you were already going to add, and you would still keep the bench, win/win.
April 12, 2013 at 8:07am   
hforghetti
Heidi- bench was from Homegoods- pricey even for the store but much cheaper than buying from the maker's showroom! They do have pretty cool furniture though... http://www.haziza.com/

I don't think I can add clips- curtains are grommet?

Handymam- I am handy with the seeing machine- Not sure what color besides the cream in the rug to pull- suggestions? I actually did buy a can of shiny red paint to redo the chandelier- if it doesn't work I am only out a few bucks- I figure it's worth a shot. Boyfriend says if he's taking the old lamp down he is not putting it back- I am going to convince him to give it a shot. It could be fun! It does need to come down- movers tied up higher so to not scratch the appliances.

Thanks all for your input and help!!
April 12, 2013 at 8:08am     
Shana Rowe
I don't think the rug works well with the artwork, or in that space for that matter, the shapes in it are too busy, and it doesn't give me a relaxing feeling when I look at it. I would go with something a little less bold, with accent colors from the painting, that will bring peace and tranquility to the room.
April 12, 2013 at 8:09am   
handymam
Maybe pull the gold (or the red if you paint the lighting fixture) from the artwork for the bottom of the drapes.

I do have to say (again, lol) that I agree wth Shana, the rug really is fighting with the artwork. Please do consider putting it in yor son's playroom and starting over here with something with no or very small pattern.
April 12, 2013 at 8:17am     
hforghetti
Shana- great suggestion about the bench for the smaller wall and using the larger of the two for the set of chairs! I think that would work much better! The bench could work in the hall open to the dining, but don' think it could go in the dining- for space issues- excuse the bare wall- still in the decorating phase here as well!!!
April 12, 2013 at 8:21am     
Heidi Hunt_Kagarakis
Love Haziza!
April 12, 2013 at 8:36am   
hforghetti
I am going to turn the rug- longer from window into kitchen. I'll see if that looks better.
April 12, 2013 at 8:39am   
Help decorate sitting room between living room and dining room.
I have this space I don't know what to do with. It...
Need help with dining room/sitting room
I need help with what I should add in my dining room....
Need help with dining room and sitting room design!
Hi, I have already bought furniture for the dinning...
Small cinema room/sitting room help
I've just moved into a city centre apartment and space...
need help for a small living room/sitting room
If you do a layout of four chairs for a small living...
Bathroom Countertop basin Shelf
My wife and I are going for a counter top basin in...
Need help with my kids bedroom layout.
Hi all, We are building our dream house in Longlands...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
What do you guys think about the pattern placement of granite on this
I picked out this granite and it just installed couple...
Help us tone down natural oak color of cabinets by painting walls.
Our new home has very yellow looking oak cabinets in...