Before Finishing your New Jersey Basement
A-1 Basement Solutions
April 12, 2013 in Other
FINISHING YOUR BASEMENT

The most important decision about finishing the basement is that you only want to finish it once. As a basement waterproofing contractor, I can tell you that after a big rainfall I often get called to look at someone’s newly finished basement that never ever leaked before but now has 2 inches of water soaking the carpet.

Dryness is key to a successful basement room. If your basement is perennially damp or, worse, floods every Spring, your first investment must be in controlling the water that invades it. French Drains, AKA foundation waterproofing systems with a sump pump are important means for achieving a dry basement.

Installing a French drain around the inside perimeter is most commonly done after the house has been built. Most commonly, this is done in response to a wet basement or right before performing a basement finishing. To install this kind of drain:

1.The inside perimeter of the floor is cut approximately one foot from the wall. A trench is excavated and pitched.

2.Fully slotted polyethylene drainage pipe is installed and covered with gravel. This pipe meets the requirements for drainage pipe as required by the State Code and the standards for ASTM-F405-74.

3.Polydrain wallboard is installed over the bottom of the wall and over the entire trench in the basement.

4.The basement floor is re-cemented to its original level.

5.To discharge the water, we will install a submersible pump in a covered polyethylene liner.

A Bonded Deep Channel Pressure Relief System (French Drains) is usually installed in 1 day by A-1 Basement Solutions experienced staff. The system is maintenance free once installed. An interior French drain is much less likely to clog than an exterior, partially due to the fact that it is not sitting underneath several feet of soil.

Though there are certain things a handy homeowner can do to remedy a damp basement, handling basement water problems is often best left in the hands of a professional waterproofing contractor.

Dealing with mechanical equipment such as heating ducts, electrical conduit, and pipes is also an issue. If headroom allows, equipment sometimes can be concealed above a false ceiling. Personally, I like a drop ceiling in the basement for easy access to plumbing and electrical wiring. Otherwise, it may need to be rerouted. One other alternative is to leave ductwork and conduit exposed and paint these elements to blend into the decor.

Before you put up the walls, you will need to consider insulation. We recommend spray on insulation as it has an anti-microbial element built into it, and doesn’t wick up moisture like spun fiberglass insulation.

Keep in mind that you’ll need to heat—and perhaps cool—the area, as well as provide it with good ventilation. An E-Z Breathe Ventilation System will probably be a must.

A-1 Basement Solutions gives free basement health inspections to New Jersey homeowners. Contact A-1 Basement Solutions at 908-322-1313.