Mid-century Home in need of a more modern front landscape!!
Brandon Blattner
I am looking for a mid-century modern look, to tie into my house. I like clean lines and simplicity.

I finally dealt with the overgrowth/lack of maintenance from my neighbor. I am gutting the whole area, reclaiming my yard, and really want to make the front house border look very nice. I am attaching a before, an after a quick clean up, and an inspiration photo of the look i 'think' I want. I really like the wood wall with the house numbers.

Any and all thoughts would be great, especially with type of plants. I am in KS and it gets very hot/dry. Also, am looking to keep it rather low maintenance. I will be planting grass everywhere else.

Also, would painting the brick be a bad idea?? if not, what color?

This is my first post to Houzz, thanks much in advance.
Brandon Blattner
BORED @ work,. Anybody have a favorite concept sketch..?
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 12:17PM
Triangle Brick Company
As a brick manufacturer, we love the look of natural brick and its durability. However, if you do decide to paint the brick, please be prepared for increased maintenance. According to The Brick Industry Association, “Most paint authorities agree that, once painted, exterior masonry will require repainting every three to five years.”
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 12:18PM
Living MPerfect
I like the upper right
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 12:18PM
Brandon Blattner
@Triangle, thank you. Maintenance aside, for resale value, say in 3 years, what do you think of the brick on this particular house?
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 12:20PM
nFORMAL design
I really like the existing brick on the house as is! It doesn't look like it's in bad shape from the photos either. If it's dirty (can't tell from the picture alone), there are plenty of cleaning methods available to look at depending on your situation. You should start, however, with the least abrasive method so you don't permanently damage the surface or allow for increased water penetration. If the mortar is loose or falling apart, look into having it repointed. I like what you have going on in the front yard as far as landscaping is concerned from the inspirational pic! I'd be inclined to carry that theme over into the backyard as well, by wrapping it around the side. You could take the stone slab tiles you got leading to your entryway and create a side path from the front yard to the back. This would create a nice passage way for friends and family to walk along if you're hosting a party out back, while tying both yards together. It will also keep the foot traffic through your house to a minimum in those scenarios.
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 12:55PM
Brandon Blattner
thanks for the advice, i think i will keep the brick as is!
1 Like   April 12, 2013 at 12:59PM
nFORMAL design
Excellent! I personally like that decision. Keep us updated on your progress.
0 Likes   April 12, 2013 at 1:50PM
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Hi Brandon, I really like sketch on computer no. 2, can you tell us what's behind the large expanse of space? a bedroom or such?..in the brown bay, with siding? Thanks!
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 1:01PM
Brandon Blattner
it is a rather large master bedroom, which has a sliding glass door to that private deck you see on the left. Overlooking that deck is 3 large windows running the length of the room.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:15PM
Happnie Homes
Painting the brick will not do anything for resale value of the home. The only reason to paint it would be personal preference. If you choose to do so I would recommend a masonry stain as opposed to paint. It is self priming and would reduce the maintenance.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:31PM
backbonemountain
Make your house numbers big and red! And don't forget the lighting. Directional and wall. Nice inspiration to work from!
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:39PM
Brandon Blattner
Here is an update. Now I need to plan out the landscaping for the front area. Trying to keep it clean, simple, and unique...
2 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 10:33AM
Brandon Blattner
Here is my update for you all. Last step is to add some directional lighting to the house numbers and to the large trees.
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 11:51AM
Need Front Exterior Ideas for MidCentury Modern
Expanded mid-century with side facing front door and...
Need help pls!! Mid-century modern childhood home - jack & jill bath.
I am returning to live in my childhood home... it has...
Need help with a fireplace in a mid-century modern home
I need help deciding what to do with our fireplace....
Landscaping ideas for a "too short" mid-century modern?
We are looking for ideas on how to re-landscape our...
Is this sconce contemporary or more mid-century modern?
Is the Anelli sconce from Zgallerie contemporary or...
Tile backsplash for kitchen - stainless steel?
We are currently renovating our kitchen. We have oak...
window measurements
how do I measure my bay window in living rm
I need help with accessories and arrangements in living room. I have l
Please help me with table arrangement and book shelf...
Do I put a round chandelier above a round table?
48" diameter table. 9' ceiling. Lake cottage. What...
Planter boxes. What to do with them?
We have just moved into our new home last week. The...