Sunroom needs a cozy makeover
bmevans2004
We moved into our home over the winter and with warm weather on the way, we want a cozy sunroom to relax in. I need some budget friendly ideas on what to do with this space!

The room is 15 x 12, and all the windows only have screens in them. The overhang on the outside will hopefully keep rain out most of the time, but I'm sure not all the time. This room is off our family room, which is our main living area.

I would appreciate any ideas on what to do with this area...right now the only outside furniture I have are 2 wicker chairs and a matching wicker storage table. All 3 pieces are boring beige and need some life brought back to them.

FYI...the few items in here will be taken out this weekend and the plastic will be taken off the windows!

I tried to get all different angles of the room.

ashleylace
oh I am so jealous of your sunroom! If I had one, I would consider hanging a bench with rope as one of the furniture pieces..like this..
April 12, 2013 at 6:21pm     
bmevans2004
I have that same picture saved on here because I loved the way the curtains are hanging and together!
April 12, 2013 at 6:23pm     
ashleylace
awesome! Well then I would consider a striped outdoor rug to cover the carpet or a sisal.If you like the light and airy feel of the white curtains (which I do) then I would paint the walls a fun color to contrast like a turquoise or yellow.accessorize with some fun garden stools and/or lanterns.
April 12, 2013 at 6:31pm     
Geri Sonkin
A sunroom can be a great welcoming space. I would paint the walls a warm tan, like Benjamin Moore Sandy Brown. Then I would choose a good size indoor outdoor carpet with a pleasing pattern. Depending upon your budget, Pier One Imports has always had some nice options for outdoor furniture. You can add some pretty greenery to add life and transition from your indoor space to the outdoors. If you choose to use the wicker furniture you currently have, you can ether spray paint them a color you pick out of the rug or cushions you add, or just buy nice patterned cushions. There are so many choices out there. Maybe even a wide stripe in ivory and spa blue, or any other color you love. Good luck in your new home!
April 12, 2013 at 6:43pm   
I agree a couple outdoor area rugs would liven the floor up! White, walls, then maybe paint the ceiling a pale blue. If you want bold, I'm thinking spay paint the wicker a bright blue or yellow. Then the wicker chest the opposite color. If you want the space for feel more like a living room, you could get a second hand sofa or loveseat and throw a "shabby chic" slipcover over and add a few toss pillows of bright colors. You could table cloth the round table and add colorful lanterns. Four second hand wood chairs (they don't have to match) painted all the same color. This may be too "lively" for you, but definately fun! Or, metal chairs for the table.
April 12, 2013 at 6:45pm   
Or, four director chairs for the table. I think it would be a fun "mix" with the 'old" and new.

April 12, 2013 at 6:49pm   
I love the ideas posted above that will give glamour and color to your space. Here's how I would arrange the furniture: At one end of the sunroom I would place the two wicker chairs with the matching table between them.
Then I'd purchase a new weatherproof wicker sofa of 78" max length and place it at the other end of the room. I'd get two new chairs to flank the sofa and a coffee table to go in front of the sofa.

If you prefer to have a dining table in the sunroom, then I would place a 42 to 48" round table at one end or the other with 4 chairs, instead of what is drawn on the plan below.
April 12, 2013 at 6:50pm     
bmevans2004
I wasn't sure which way I wanted to go with this room...a living area or a fun spot to relax in. But I have decided I want it to be a bright cheery room! I'm liking the thought of bright,bold colors...but not overkill!

What about keeping the walls white and using bright colors in rugs,pillows, furniture, etc? Does the color scheme need to coordinate somewhat with the family room you open the door from or am I over thinking that?!?

The table that is in the picture is actually a coffee table..would it look weird with chairs around it since its low to the ground? I love the table and can't use it inside since its so big and I wanted to use it if I could somehow, if not then it goes into the storage shed.
What about curtains? I don't really feel like I need them for privacy, but didn't know if it needed them.

Thanks for all the ideas so far...I've got my list started!
April 12, 2013 at 6:56pm   
bmevans2004
Darzy - I love the directors chairs, I used to have them in my room as a teenager..
April 12, 2013 at 6:59pm   
The big low round table would be wonderful with 4 comfy chairs around it. You can eat, read, talk, or whatever.
What colors are in the family room?
April 12, 2013 at 7:02pm   
bmevans2004
Carolyn - I really LOVE the layout you did! But you have the doors on opposite walls and they are actually on connecting walls (not really sure how to say it). The sofa in the drawing would be blocking the door to the back yard, so I would need to swap it, but it seems so cozy with that furniture! Thanks!
April 12, 2013 at 7:03pm   
Keitha
SAMs or Costco should have some nice weatherproof wicker furniture at reasonable prices. I purchased some at Costco several years ago and have been very pleased.
April 12, 2013 at 7:08pm     
bmevans2004
Darzy and Carolyn - you both really think chairs around the table would work? Wait...you are the professionals! I would love to use the table, even if I needed to paint it. It would definitely be used.

The colors of my family room are warm, beige walls with charcoal, tan and a dark brick for the furniture and accents. Not the bright, cheery, beachy minus the sand, look I want to feel!

I should also say, the house was filled with furniture when we moved in,so I have a few couches, several chairs (recliners, rockers, wooden) accent tables and lamps! It's all out dated but if I could use it somehow its less I will need to store in a storage unit!
April 12, 2013 at 7:10pm   
amymsm
Dark browns with pops of yellow.
April 12, 2013 at 7:11pm   
amymsm
I love the layout.
April 12, 2013 at 7:11pm   
Ohhhh! I didn't realize it was a coffee table! But Caroyln's idea of four comfy chairs surrounding it is very inviting.
April 12, 2013 at 7:13pm   
mamao1956
Geri mentioned Pier One. They have such great summer stuff. The other day I saw some really fun lanterns and stands. They don't have them all on their website, but here are a few.
April 12, 2013 at 7:14pm   
Sometimes an outdated lamp painted a funky color looks superb! Show us your stuff! :)
April 12, 2013 at 7:17pm     
I like the directors chair too, but not for the coffee table. Something more loungy...
April 12, 2013 at 7:18pm   
bmevans2004
Darzy - you mean you want to see the furniture that was left with the house? I have before pics of the house that would show it
April 12, 2013 at 7:19pm     
I've drawn in the 4 chairs around the large low table. How wide is the round table? What I drew is a 48" one, but a 54" table could also fit.

There's no reason that your family room could not take cues from the sunroom. Just add a couple of turquoise pillows to the family room, which BTW should go nicely with charcoal, tan, beige and brick. Then use turquoise and lime or turquoise and coral for the sunroom. I've drawn optional draperies in the corners of the sunroom.
White canvas would work well there. You'll need to weight the bottoms so they don't blow too much in a storm.
April 12, 2013 at 7:24pm     
bmevans2004
Carolyn - I just measured the table and its actually smaller, at 42". But,after looking at the 2 layouts, I just love the 1st one...I can imagine how that would look and feel in there! I would love a sofa to take a nap on a rainy day and the other chairs for entertaining.
Love the corners curtains...for some reason, I just feel like it needs them in the room, blowing on a breezy day. You also have the doors I the correct wall on the 2nd drawing...thanks.
This is why I love this site...I would never have thought of these ideas. I would like to have coral or turquoise colors. How about a yellow? Not the bright yellow,but a little darker? I do have a little of that color in my family room, which is open to the kitchen and I have it painted brick, darker yellow and a warm taupe.
April 12, 2013 at 7:37pm     
I too prefer Carolyn's first layout. Time for the table to get a new home....sell it to help buy the new sofa?
April 12, 2013 at 7:45pm   
ashleylace
yes leaving the walls white with pops of color in accessories good.curtains not Necessary..just nice if you want that dreamy,billowy look with the white sheers like the first pic I posted.I think you should definately use the round table you already have as a coffee table....and would consider adding some floor cushions around it as fun extra seating.
April 12, 2013 at 7:45pm   
Yes a golden color would mix well with turquoise and coral. You could use a variation of the first furniture arrangement by placing the sofa and 2 chairs at the top of that drawing and the two wicker chairs at the bottom of the drawing, flanking the door to the yard.
Iman Turquoise and Orange Ikat Decorative Pillow Cover By PopOColor Heart Pillow Cover, White Linen and Yellow by Pillow Factory
April 12, 2013 at 7:46pm     
Yes! Here is a photo with very similar colors, with your golden yellow color. I prefer Carolyn's brighter version.

April 12, 2013 at 7:50pm     
It's possible that the round coffee table you have could work in front of the sofa instead of the 36 x 30" rectangular one I drew. After all,k 42" is only 6" more than 36, and I didn't make the rectangular coffee table bigger because I thought it would interfere with traffic flow to the door to the outside. But that seems not to be the case with the door at the bottom of the drawing.
April 12, 2013 at 7:50pm   
That 42" round table would look grand with high gloss turquoise paint on it!
April 12, 2013 at 7:52pm     
bmevans2004
I love the ideas... You have me excited to start working on the area! Although in Indiana, I can get it bright and cheery while laying on the sofa and watch it snow in May...lol!

I really would love to try and use the table, even if it gets a new paint job. The colors will be perfect...bright and bold, but not over the top in case I'm not in a bright, cheery mood!

Rug, sofa, pillows and paint are all on my shopping list now!
April 12, 2013 at 8:12pm   
bmevans2004
Darzy - my husband agrees with you... Sell the table to pay for the sofa! He is the practical one!
April 12, 2013 at 8:15pm   
Stamps Design Services
Find some cusions that you like and you can paint your sunroom in colors. You can also use those colors to add your accessories. Throw in plenty of white (furniture, trim, etc) for a fresh, crisp looK. Here are a few cushions as examples (from Pier One)
If you were to choose the top left one, I would suggest you paint the walls a soft yellow, the ceiling a pastel turquoise, the door a spring green and the trim around the room & windows white.... I would also add some plain pillows to supprt the color scheme without competing with it. Have some fun with your space!
April 12, 2013 at 8:15pm   
bmevans2004
I do like the pale green cushions, even though the entire house was a shade of green when we moved in!
April 12, 2013 at 8:21pm   
bmevans2004
Carolyn - I keep going back to the 1st layout, I really love it. My questions are: what does the 24x24 on the chair mean, what exactly is that measuring? Also, the picture below are wood chairs that were here, could these chairs be painted and add cushions for the 2 single chairs you had I the layout or did you have another style of chairs for the room?
Final question from my husband...can you incorporate the dorm size fridge we have, into the layout in case we are lazy and need an ice cold adult beverage on a hot day...lol?!? Even if it needs to be painted turquoise!
April 12, 2013 at 8:33pm   
bmevans2004
We have 5-6 of these wooden chairs, some have arms and some don't. Also, this wallpaper has been taken down and reprinted along with updated lighting!
April 12, 2013 at 8:36pm   
bmevans2004
Or would these kind of chairs look ok? I just always liked these chairs in a bright color, but I'm not sure how it would go with the wicker sofa I haven't bought yet!
April 12, 2013 at 8:44pm   
My first thought was the country chairs won't work in your sunroom. But, I don't want to nix them too quickly. (Paint is a miracle worker). Let's start with picking an area rug you like.
April 12, 2013 at 8:56pm   
bmevans2004
I do get excited and ahead of myself... I will first look for a rug? I'm assuming it needs to be an indoor/outdoor rug?
April 12, 2013 at 8:59pm   
I'd go with indoor/outdoor. What do you ladies think about a wide stripe coral color? This says "rust" but it looks coral to me. Or, bemvans, if you want the dominant color the turquoise, it can be reversed. Turquoise rug, coral accents.

April 12, 2013 at 9:06pm   
bmevans2004
I love the wide stripes...I could go either way, but I'm leaning toward the rust/coral color
April 12, 2013 at 9:16pm   
bmevans2004
What size rug am I looking for? The room is 15 x 12
April 12, 2013 at 9:17pm   
bmevans..the adirondack chairs you like are nice, but I feel they are more for totally outdoors and won't work well with your wicker.
April 12, 2013 at 9:19pm   
bmevans2004
That is what I was thinking, but I'm new to decorating! See, I'm already learning from all of you!
April 12, 2013 at 9:21pm   
8 x 10 rug for the space plan you like. What is your budget? Can you show us a picture of your wicker furniture?
April 12, 2013 at 9:22pm   
bmevans2004
It will be a few days before I can get it out...I think the furniture is in the shed. I may have a picture from our old house. My budget, right now isn't much...I'm hoping to make the furniture I currently have work for now and as the season ends, find something I really like on sale. I will buy a rug and wicker sofa soon though. There was also some furniture left in there as well, but I can't find pictures of it. I'm thinking it was metal...keep in mind, this home hasn't been lived in since 1995 so everything is outdated!
April 12, 2013 at 9:28pm   
bmevans2004
If you are able to zoom in, you can see the style of the 2 chairs and table I currently have. They are plain and simple, but served their purpose
April 12, 2013 at 9:32pm   
bmevans2004
Then if you can zoom in, you can see what was left here...looks like a 2 person rocker, foot stool and I think 2-3 chairs that matched the rest of it
April 12, 2013 at 9:35pm   
No worries. Your space can look great with a new rug and sofa. The rug is critical. :) Paint (with what you have already) and accessories does wonders! Carolyn's professional advice is always sophisticated and right on! She is a Texan, so may have "hit the hay" but she'll be back. My question...do you want a more sophisticated looking style or more colorful and whimsical? What is the FEELING you want when you enter the sunroom?
April 12, 2013 at 9:37pm   
Stamps Design Services
Home Depot and Lowes carry a wide variety of indoor/outdoor rugs, or you could get a plain sisal rug and stencil it! I saw you question about the plastic chairs, Krylon has a spray paint made for plastic called Krylon fusion, so you could have chairs in whatever color you want. I like mixing different kinds of furniture on a porch or sunroom. (I also tend to mix patterns) It is your space make it reflect you and your tastes! Here are some of the fabrics I am going to use on the cushions and tablecloth on my patio.....
April 12, 2013 at 10:41pm   
Cheery Curtains
Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations
April 12, 2013 at 11:33pm   
ashleylace
I vote definately for the wide stripe rug! Either color!
April 13, 2013 at 5:31am     
You measure a chair at its widest and deepest points. Of course if you bought a sofa smaller than 78", you'd have space for bigger chairs. Frequently at this time of year you can find sets that include a small sofa and 2 chairs. Take your tape measure with you to the store and arrange a sofa and 2 chairs as they will be when you get them home. If they fit nicely in a 12' wide area, they're the right size.

I place dimensions on my drawings to make you stop and think about whether what you're looking at will actually fit in your space. All too often people forget about dimensions when buying furniture!

I love the coral and white striped rug that calls itself rust. Darzy is right that the Adirondack chair you showed us above wouldn't live happily with wicker. But it could live happily under a tree in the yard.
April 13, 2013 at 7:11am   
bmevans2004
Carolyn - thanks for the measurement explanation, I measured an inside chair so now I know the approximate size of chairs I need.

Since we started working one the house, I always carry a tape measure, notepad and pen in my purse!

It's a little cold here in Indiana today, but I plan on getting out there tomorrow to get it cleaned up and ready for paint!

Thanks for all the ideas and let me know if you have any more suggestions!

Brandi
April 13, 2013 at 8:32am   
sjkingston
For those windows, a great budget approach would be to hit Ikea, Target, Walmart, Overstock (great source with free shipping) or equivalent and look for matchstick bamboo blinds or roman shades. Roll up styles are often very inexpensive and Overstock as roman shade styles. I'd go light bamboo or even white, but others might suggest darker for contrast. Order a size that allows you to mount just inside the each window frame, and you'll have a clean non fussy look that allows you to block out the light if the room gets hot in the summer. You mentioned the screens might allow the rain to get in. Home Depot and Lowes usually have versions that are made of small plastic tubes that look like bamboo shades, which would mean they wouldn't be damaged in a storm. (And they are usually the cheapest option.) Bring home a couple and tack up to see if you like the look and you can always return if it's not as you envisioned. Great room
April 13, 2013 at 8:56am   
bmevans2004
Ok Houzz Professionals.... I've had a change in plans in the cozy sunroom makeover! I was able to get the plastic off the windows and the walls and screens scrubbed down and I LOVE the breezy open area.

My husband got our our chairs which worked on our front porch when we lived downtown, but just don't work in this room...I can use them in the garage. And the table I wanted to keep so bad, just isn't working in this room...it's just to big.

I attached updated pics taken today...I need seating ideas and it doesn't need to go with the 2 wicker chairs. What are other seating ideas to make this area cozy.

I'm going rug shopping this weekend since I was to,d to start there and rugs are critical. Then what will we sit on, just the rug...lol?

I also thought out painting the ceiling fan a color...I'm not sure if it should be light and blend in or bold and stand out. You can tell its been painted before.

I also have Carolyn's 1st layout printed out with the 4 chairs, sofa and 2 smaller tables. But I need budget friendly furniture ideas and I really enjoy repurposing and painted items too

Thanks for all your help and ideas!

Brandi
April 15, 2013 at 7:31pm   
bmevans2004
Update on my sunroom makeover you all were helping me with...it's cleaned out and cleaned up now and ready for more suggestions!

I had an unexpected emergency with my son come up that I have to use my sunroom money for. I did by a rug, but it is 5x7...it was very cheap and thought it would work for this year. I was also able to by a love seat and cushions that was suggested in an earlier layout. I got my 2 wicker chairs out and cleaned up. I also have an iron bench I thought I would get a cushion for and use.

I actually like the round coffee table out there and didn't think it looked to big, but I'm not the pro!

I need your help with what to do with the 2 chairs, light wood table in between them, round coffee table and the white cabinet. All of this is able to paint, but I need suggestions on colors or other ideas. I wanted to use the white cabinet and put an accent lamp on it for some lighting if I did t want the room lit up by the lights on the wall.

Once I get it all painted the way I want it, I will start adding the accessories!

Brandi
April 21, 2013 at 1:18pm     
bmevans2004
I noticed in the pictures the rug is really wrinkled...I got it straightened out!
April 21, 2013 at 1:18pm   
Good progress, and all of us understand how a family emergency can change the best of plans! Can you paint all the wicker white, and also the oak table? Then paint the small round table red. Make sure the chair cushions have red in them since that's our new accent color.
April 21, 2013 at 1:27pm   
bmevans2004
If I painted all the wicker white, that wouldn't be to much white with the walls and ceiling white? I obviously don't know my woods...which one is the oak table?!? The big or small table?
April 21, 2013 at 2:25pm   
I don't think it would be too much white, with your rug and red cushions. I thought the big table was oak, which it may or may not be, but that's the one I meant.
April 21, 2013 at 2:29pm   
bmevans2004
I thought you were talking about the big one, I just called them the dark and light tables because I didn't know what they were either...lol!
April 21, 2013 at 2:39pm   
Stamps Design Services
I would remove the large table, it isn't adding anything, it is just taking up space... I would paint all the whicker furniture the same color, I suggest tan or white to show off the pretty cushions. Paint the smaller wooden table and the chest, the same color as the wicker furniture along with the metal piece, in the corner. (not sure if it is a table or a seat) and use that as your coffee table along with a pretty tray, and some some decorative pieces and plants :-)
April 21, 2013 at 5:05pm   
Persian Crafts
It is a nice living room. I think a beautiful rug can completely change your room. Here are some suggestions:
You can find more at: http://www.houzz.com/photos/users/thepersiancrafts
April 22, 2013 at 4:14am   
Calling color experts! Can you help create a rustic chic cozy sunroom?
Right now our sunroom is used as a place to store things...
Our old fireplace makeover! Went from the 70's to warm and cozy~~~
We were tired of our old red brick fireplace and old...
From Revolting to Riveting - Exterior/Sunroom Makeover
Sunroom rebuild to cathedral ceiling with complete...
Our Sunroom Makeover
Our house was built in 1963 and had not been updated...
Living room needs more cozieness.
My dad's living room is a bit boring... He likes White,...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....
Matching furniture to paint
I chose the paint color Kwal Staghorn (8731W) for a...
Need help with my kids bedroom layout.
Hi all, We are building our dream house in Longlands...
What do you guys think about the pattern placement of granite on this
I picked out this granite and it just installed couple...
Cost effective soffit material?
Cost effective solutions for a soffit on a modern home?...