Any ideas on how to update this old farmhouse kitchen? It already has new granite countertops and a new sink
lisatkingApril 12, 2013
Old farm house kitchen is dark and needs a facelift. Any suggestions?
2dogssashatess
please take down that frilly cafe curtain. I would paint the cupboards a little color
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:07AM
pattiegoode
Those cabinets would look great with white paint & new hardware! I agree that the valance needs to go. A hanging light over the sink would look great. It looks like can old ceiling fixture was removed, but I can't tell exactly what was done. More pix will help us help you! You can find tons of before & after kitchen photos on Houzz, too!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:31AM
leecy
It is very dark, I think the tiled backslash and the new sink & counter look nice, you really need to paint the cabinets a light colour, white, or the lightest colour that's in the backslash if you plan on keeping those tiles. And put some down lights in front of the cabinets.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:35AM
Cozy Casita
I agree with pattiegoode ... best to look at some pics on Houzz for inspiration first ... so you have an idea of what style you might be looking for. Would also help if you posted more pics so that the whole kitchen can be seen. Do you own the place ? (so that you're able to make changes as you wish ?) And are you looking to do major work on the room (like raising the ceiling .. if that's at all possible here) or are you looking for quick and inexpensive cosmetic fixes ?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 1:35AM
apple_pie_order
New photos taken with the lights on would be good to post. Have you settled on a budget for the kitchen fix-up? The cabinets look to be sturdy and in good shape. New hardware would be an option.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 5:46AM
lisatking
Here is my inspiration pic. Budget is low as the house needs a new roof. Would love to raise the ceiling. If possible. Any idea on how much that costs? Thanks for your suggestions.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:20AM
OnePlan
Wow ! Nice inspirational pic !! Is the kitchen roof part of a flat roofed area ?! I am trying to work out ways to get more daylight in for you !
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:32AM
lisatking
Yes the roof is flat other than the recessed lighting. I have decided to use rustoleums cabinet transformations in quilters white and antique the details with a glaze. Hopefully add an island too in espresso or black
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:15AM
lisatking
Oh and yes the cabs are in great shape. New hardware and paint seems to b the best answer.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:17AM
Lkristine
Glad you will be painting the cabinets! That alone will make a significant difference in the appearance! I would consider changing out the ceiling fan for a nice light instead. Then just add some accessories, a new valance, or no valance, and even a fun area rug if you wanted. Here is an example image of your kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:35AM
lisatking
That's cool. Looks better already
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:13AM
Interiors International, Inc.
Tear out the tray ceiling light and paint the cabinets white.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:16AM
OnePlan
So as it's part of a flat roof area - can you install one of these to get maximum daylight into the room ?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:24AM
Rare Bird
If the units are good I d just get the doors resprayed am unsure about the tiles but once doors are done U might want to keep or change them
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:30AM
lisatking
One plan I will look into that. If tearing out the tray ceiling, would a tray ceiling with crown molding and and some nice lighting be an option? Love these lanterns
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:41AM
OnePlan
Ooh they are lovely lights ! Well I hope that it's possible for the roof lantern idea in this room as it will allow you to happily use dark wood without fear of making the room dark again !
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 12:02PM
Updating Extorior of Tudor-Style Home
Please help! I am considering buying this home but...
Tessa Hays
I"m planning to update my kitchen this summer. Any ideas how to update my penynsula
I want to keep my maple cabinets, but change the laminate...
furrball
Do you have any ideas how I can update my kitchen that is oak?
My house is oak and so is my kitchen. I have a large...
witterj
Looking for landscape/walkway/stair ideas
I just bought this house. Currently gutting the inside...
Jenna Mceachern
Any ideas for how to update this circa 70s split level living room?
We want to give this room a totally new look. Any...
Josephine Agricola
guestroom advice needed
Thanks in advance for your help! I have this guest...
decorgirly
Paint colour in Basement
Basement flooring is maple hardwood walnut stain. Sectional...
arasberry
Zephyr Anzio Wall Range hood is not working properly
just remodel the kitchen, installed a Anzio Wall hood...
lhshih
Bedroom needs finishing details?
How do I jazz up this space? Looking for suggestions...
retrogirl73
Kitchen remodel...relocating fridge with design issue.
We are reconfiguring our kitchen with our remodel....
fultoncs