Need help for my long skinny office and family room
Jennifer Constantin Sotheby's International Realty
April 13, 2013
I am trying to decide about what kind of furniture to purchase for my long room, I will be keeping the TV, my desk area, carpet and paint, but everything else is fair game! Help!!
OnePlan
If you used shelving room dividers to zone the room it will feel less long and thin! ie keep the study one end and then divide off the tv area, maybe with a corner sofa and the tv a bit nearer the door than it is at present. Have a square footstool here too to again give it a wider feel ! Should help no end !!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:48AM
I never thought of that, sounds really great, any suggestions for a type or height of divider??
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:05AM
carole
would the room be wide enough to place the furniture away from the wall,maybe 2 smaller sofas face to face and have your desk area behind one of the sofas,,...i am very bad at describing so i hope these pict will help explain
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:10AM
carole
sorry here is the other picture and i also like this very modern tv set up...but again cant really see from the picture how much room and if there is another wall or door??could you put in some more pict from different angles please??
    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Constantin Sotheby's International Realty    April 13, 2013 at 11:13AM
I wish I had more room width but not, I will go home and measure and also take some additional pics, thank you!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:27AM
Room is 8.5 ft wide, so narrow!
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 2:32PM
carole
it is!!but lots of light and nice colors...looking at this new picture,how about putting your desk where the cabinet and chair is now and have shelving there too ,then zone the rest of the room as the tv/loungearea like oneplan suggested,and when you think of new furniture is there a style you like, maybe mid century modern?that style is less bulky then the sofa and chairs you have now,but is that something you like,if not maybe the sofa can be recovered in a lighter color?and just change the chairs?
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Constantin Sotheby's International Realty    April 13, 2013 at 3:24PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Your room appears to be the old sun room or screened in porch. I would consider looking at a sectional sofa that you can add modules to the unit so that could have a very long sofa unit. At the opposit end of the room where you currently have the desk I would consider moving the desk to that end of the room. Put the desk where you see it the least amount. Back to the sectional sofa modules then consider 3 or 4 simple ottomans that people can put their feet up on that would be placed along the sofa. There are so many companies that are making small drink tables that slide into the cushion area of the sofa for a small accent table. Keep it simple and clean and less furnishings. Brighten the sofa up with some great throw pillows and you'll have a new room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Constantin Sotheby's International Realty    April 13, 2013 at 3:37PM
OnePlan
Ikea do great open shelving that work well as room dividers !!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Constantin Sotheby's International Realty    April 14, 2013 at 1:08AM
nicholeblaze
I would section the room without a divider. Move the office furniture to the opposite end of where it is now, nearest the corner window area and the door way. Leave the tv where it is. Slide couch down along wall where it is a little toward old computer desk. Angle the accent chairs to create a TV viewing area. Good Luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Jennifer Constantin Sotheby's International Realty    August 29, 2014 at 11:10AM
chookchook2
Old thread.
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 1:59AM
Need help with my long narrow living room!
Our rental home has a small living room that also functions...
alilisa68
Need help completeing my family room
We completed redoing our family room a year ago December...
waterloo481
Need help with my long and narrow living room
Here is a simple plan of my living. There is a 7feet...
brumette
Need ideas to make living room into family home office/study
Looking for ideas for how to turn what's intended to...
mtspiegel
Please help me turn this bright yellow room into a relaxing office!
I need help making this bright yellow bedroom into...
cmcole01
Ideas to redo our kitchen eating area please.
I purchased Sweethome3D from reading great things about...
cbaydo
Exterior house stucco color
Hey folks, I am finally getting to finish the house...
Min Cai
Something is off with this kitchen renovation... HELP!?
So we gutted our kitchen about a year and a half ago...
jennamsw
Help! I Need to Update my Ranch
I have a small house and have updated the inside mostly...
Laura Owen
Okay-what do we Houzzers consider Timeless, then, in decorating?
Simple as that, any time period or decorating scheme,...
okdokegal