Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_vivian

Help needed in choosing 2 new beds for teenage boys!

Patricia Vivian
11 years ago
I need help please in choosing 2 new beds for teenage boys, they have to be custom made here so any designs are welcome! I have recently repainted the walls so that is new, and im thinking of installing long curtains (not this style the other style dont know the name!), and im not sure if i should remove the bookcase on the other wall as they never use it, and put a plasma tv on the wall instead, or just leave it im not sure! Any help is welcome thank you!

Comments (51)

• Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much! Over here everything is custom made even the mattresses, which reallyyyy gets on my nerves bc its so confusing when buying sheets (American sizes or European sizes etc...) and they tend to make silly mistakes... The room isnt that big so i can only fit 120 cm beds and no extra bed in the drawers no, only storage space, and a desk certainly yes they need that, ill post a photo of the bookcase and desk existing now, thanx for your advice!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is the existing bookshelves and desk, which is never used! And the chairs are my dining room chairs, i also need 2 of those!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    What a pain to even have to get mattresses made, that would be hard to know exactly how to do them. Could you buy your linen first and tell them to make the mattresses fit.

That bookcase is fantastic, I love it. Lovely colour timber too. Are they doors to hide other things. So practical. Seems a pity to get rid of it. If the boys decide they do need it though, you could put if over their beds, leaving the wall free for a wall mounted TV - as long as you don't have problems getting them to study with the TV there. Just made sure you don't mount it too high for them to get sore necks. If they use their desks a lot, and I assume as they get older the study demands will get heavier, it might be an idea to invest in some ergonomic chairs for them.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes big pain! My supposed 180X200 bed came 173X193! Ridiculous i swear, but its fine.. And dont ask the cost of things here (to top it off!).

Ok thanx thats what i thought, Oprah wud flip if someone said theyre taking books away to make place w a gaming system! Right?

So let me make life easier and just get 2 new beds and DEFINITELY get those long floor to ceiling curtains in navy blue (or taupe?) to dress up the wall for one and have them sleep better from the light etc, right?

One question please! Im not in love with the color of the existing wood, i dont want to match the beds to that, rather have nice beds and later remove the bookcase etc... Could you suggest a color of wood please? White would be so cool with the wall but not for boys i think, or a bleachy pale wood? Or still not cool?

Thanx so much for your opinions btw i really appreciate this!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh! There is a tv in the tv room, their room should be a little calmer i think, just for studying, reading, sleeping... No? They can always put a pc on the desk with a dvd and watch a movie, still tamer!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And they need chairs yes! Desk chair type things, pls come to Leb and tell me where to go ud flip! Everything and nothing here, typical paradox of the country...
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Goodness, I had no idea things were so difficult there, I have a few Lebanese friends and was under the impression it was quite sophisticated. I guess in a way a mattress a bit smaller would be better than a bit bigger if they can't get it right. We don't have anything like the range of choices here that are in the US and many things are a lot more expensive so decorating can be just as had for us. At least though we can see things in stores and buy and know what we are getting.

I can't see your curtains to get much of an idea for them, but I do agree with not having a TV in their room. Do be watchful with a pc too. they can get up to a lot of other things with them. Maybe, if you can, get them just a DVD player. I rather hesitate to make suggestions and get you excited about something and then you not be able to buy it. However, if light is an issue at night then, yes a dark blue curtain, if you can match the wall or the bed covers would be good. You may also be able to buy curtains that have a block out backing that will not only darken the room but also reduce heat and cold coming through the glass in the window. Can you get a double curtain track, and if the existing white curtains are a sheer put them on the back track and the dark ones on the front track to pull across at night and the sheer curtains will bring a nice bright light in during the day. I'm also thinking of the idea of possibly a nautical theme for the room by having a heavy white curtain with a blue and red geometric pattern instead of the plain blue. I could only find a photo with a red and white curtain, but that could look nice too

[houzz=
    Baby Boy's Urban Cool Nursery · More Info
    ]

You could add red pillows to their beds or if you could find something similar, cushions like these would look good

[houzz=
    Signal Flag Décor, W Flag · More Info
    ]

I don't see a problem with white beds, in fact I would very much like it with the dark blues, it will add a touch of crispness to the room, although a bleached pale wood would also echo the nautical theme if you went with that.

Do discuss everything with the boys, find photos on Houzz to share with them, they will appreciate their new room a lot more if they have a hand in the planning of it.

If the boys don't like the nautical idea, you can still keep to the navy and white and consider adding some features in lime green, their desk chairs for example, it looks great with navy.

[houzz=
    Portfolio · More Info
    ]

Happy shopping, how lovely it would be to pop over for a day, let me know how you get on.
  • Amy Stanley
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I have teenage boys and they have a navy room, their beds are in a honey pine, dresser and night stand in a painted blue (we have white bead-board halfway up). Orange is the accent color. I think the desk and cubbies will be more needed as they get more and more school work. My boys have a small flat screen that sits on their dresser, and they play movies through their gaming system. They use the tv a ton, and that homework area would be sucked up if we had it , they currently do it on their beds. I think you could use the same shade of wood that you have now so the desk still works and have a more solid less frilly bed made for each. Straight lines- Not white, teenage boys do not like white furniture nautical themed or not! This is what my boys look like: http://www.exoticsavannahwoodworks.com/product/AH-1009?gdftrk=gdfV24025_a_7c2065_a_7c8469_a_7cAH_d_1009
    I have a country house, their room feels a bit more modern so cleaner lines might work better for you. Something like this? http://www.rakuten.com/prod/atlantic-furniture-orlando-twin-platform-bed-with-open-footboard-in/245456863.html
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Amy I'm with you on the timber colour, but the poster doesn't like it. I feel it is up to what the boys like though. Orange is a good accent colour too.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your advice! Well its super sophisticated here and at the same time really simple, like people delay everyyyything its always tomorrow next week after the holidays etc etc etc, im used to it... Im thinking just 2 new beds, strong solid traditional types, a dark brown wood? Itll look dark but so what, bleached wood is gorgeous but not very boyish i think! And definitely thick long curtains, pale blue and white stripes maybe? Again classic, and crisp white sheets, but the bedspreads something colored, red white and blue or smtg, and i was thinking the back of the door red! Cute! What fo u all think? Btw my boys really dont care a thing to give their input theyre just like anything pls just new bigger beds!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh btw this is from IKEA which we dont have here but there is very similar, i was thinking smtg like this btwn the beds as a nite stand, especially as theres barely any room anyway, and a funky painted color just like this!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Except that here that piece is over $1000 but anyways, maybe i cud get one made, and THATS why everything takes forever here!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I just saw those photos!!! Thank you! Ready made curtains? Very cool why not, Zara Home here have those, and BHV sell the rods, they look thick too! Lime green is also a new color in the solid collection at Zara Home (the best quality preppy cheapish linen shop here), good idea thanx a lot!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And as for the beds thanx! Buuuut they wud neverrrr know how to
    do those stripes of wood here for one, and i need storage space under so no legs! Thanx anyway!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I would make the type of beds that have drawers built-in beneath them and shelves on the headboard. This will give them tons of storage and space. I'll look for a picture and then post if I can find before I have to leave. As for colors, teen boys like grays, dark blues and blacks, not stripes or plaid.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Something like this http://houzz.com/photos/534211
  • User
    11 years ago
    Oh sorry that's the wrong one. Let me try this iPad copy again. Ugh.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Pottery Barn has a 2 bed configuration that joins at the top. If you add drawers underneath 1 of them, you could maximize space and your room leave room for desk/s.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Omg how nice! I cant believe it, the gallery i worked with in the past wanted that EXACT same bed with the shelves on the headboard! What a coincidence! And about stripes ok, i love grey and plain colors, let me show them now these pictures and get back to you thanx so much!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    11 years ago
    If book case never used, remove. Replace with TV. You could remove head and foot boards, if possible and replace with leather or micro swede. In dark brown. Would work with blue walls. Bedding in a blue stripe, would work. Is this only wat to arrange beds side by side? If not try placing opposite side of room from each other. To give each teenager his own space. Try pushing into corner. Putting a few round booster pillows on head and against wall maybe if room, go into a full bed rather than Twin. Put up there fav posters. Let them pick out. It's their room and they should have a voice.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are a few photos from the internet of beds with bookshelves on the headboard, good idea?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    11 years ago
    Each boy should have their own night stand also.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And here are some more:
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And some more!
  • kensing9
    11 years ago
    I would go with simple platform beds with solid headboard, or padded. They won't be teenagers for long... So, ask them what they don't want. :)

Also, murphy beds making come back...AND will give them more room to study, horse around in. Plus the convenience of not making bed up but looking tidy.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Murphy beds? Ill google that thanx!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh thanx but so uncomfortable! Friends of mine have that, the mattresses r never good, bad for the back, not healthy! And i have a wall of built in closets on one side so cant make bigger beds than 120cm each, and 2 nite stands? True thats true... Thank you all for ur advice! Its ok that the boys have to share a room right? What can i do its all i have! But each one to have their own space totally right thanx, u know im an only child so dont know these things too much! And i will ask the boys now what they dont want, priceless advice thanx! :)
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Pottery Barn is opening here too, this summer i think, soooo much easier to just buy ready made beds, lets try!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok well that didnt work they kust said we dont care just get new things! From their reaction though the shelves thing no, pale wood no, dark chunky platform style big yes!
  • kensing9
    10 years ago
    Take what you have and cut curve edge off and sand edges.
    Paint all parts of beds black and use savings for TV, desk, decor.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanx but these beds are junk! I need 2 excellent solid sturdy beds, i already have a desk thanx & no tv in the bedroom! Just got them a new tv in the tv room, ill find beds im still thinking!
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I found this today, the beds would be bigger, and deep (the mattresses would sink into the bed frame) but this is the design, its ok?
  • orangecamera
    10 years ago
    Not sure what you mean about the mattresses sinking into the bed frame. It looks like they're meant to sit on top.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are samples of the fabrics, its not leather no, its the cheap fake kind, its ok or yucky? At least its mat fabric and linen!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I think I would stick with the shelving behind the beds, much more practical. The only thing is it would take up space. I don't know how much room you have between the foot of the beds and the desk. Being boys too, have you considered getting king size single beds for them, most boys like and need that extra length so if space is a problem it would be far better to get the extra length in the beds than have the shelves.

I bet you will be glad to have Pottery Barn, perhaps hold off on this until they open. I was very excited to see we had one open here just last week. Unfortunately, it is a little too far from me to travel to, but they are selling online.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello! What's king size single beds? 120X200 cm is the size here, sheets won't fit i think if its longer, no? I found an amaziiiiing carpenter yesterday, a real one! Solid wood! Is the fake leather nasty though for the fabric beads? Fabric or wood help pls!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Looks like everyone has different sizings. Our standard single bed is 92 x 187 and a king single is 106 x 203 so yours are wider but not quite as long but enough to give the boys more room. I really think for durability I would go the wood, it is always in style and you don't have to worry about stains, dirt, cracking or tearing. Great you have found a good tradesman, all the more reason to have really nice beds made that will last a lifetime.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok thank you very much! Ill call the carpenter tomorrow!
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Then if they like sport ,music you could add a touch of it in this room , I imagine that you are also considering changing the bedding .
    [houzz=
    Guest Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Plain Grey Readymade Curtains · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Tommy Hilfiger Newport Bay Comforter Set · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Compass Rose Vinyl Wall Decal by Empire City Studios · More Info
    ]
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you all so much! i lost the app on my phone, have to log into a pc to see all this, which is never! the carpenter is passing by me this week, i tried already made galleries here but there is no way, no idea why but no way! the curtains are gorgeous, im finding many ready made but theyre too small, but plain like that yes, pale grey or taupe or some pale neutral, these are all gorgeous ideas thank you! and they need totally new bedding yes, im going to Zara Home at least they have descent things, white bottom sheets and pale grey top or royal blue, smtg like that, and Ralph Lauren bedspreads from this American outlet thing I found here, anything classical and durable i can find! thank you everyone ill post pictures once everything is made (I hope!)!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Good luck Patricia, thanks for keeping us posted.
  • Patricia Vivian
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all so much! I lost the app on my phone and internets so bad here, but you were all so nice to help me out i hope i am able to post a picture of the room, a side table is still needed and a bit more but at least its done woohoo! Bedding from Pottery Barn btw finally opened here!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much Patricia for getting back to us. It is so nice to see the end result. The beds look great and I love the artwork in the hallway. What did you do with the desk area?
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    I think you're referring to twin XL, which is a 5-6" longer than a single bed. It is used in dorm rooms. I think the vinyl/linen would be ok, but I wouldn't use the vinyl on the headboard section. I love the bookcase, but think at their ages it's best to dismantle that and give each of them their own side of the room with separate desks and a floor plan that can give them some privacy.
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Love those headboards...color, padded. They must help absorb noise too.
  • Knitter 81439
    10 years ago
    Yes, as brickln noted, the twin XL beds are practically standard for U.S. dorms. Could the big, long bookcase be made into two separate units. It would be really nice if the boys could each have their own study space; even if the separation of desk study areas is small. Under cabinet lights would help a lot over the desks and good, comfortable desk chairs are a must.
  • PRO
    Go Nautical Collections
    10 years ago
    everything nautical www.gonautical.com
  • orangecamera
    10 years ago
    @Patricia, thanks for the update. I always enjoy seeing how projects are coming along. What do the boys think of their new room?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    How is your room going Orangecamera?
  • melsy6
    8 years ago
    Love this stream lined look. Have three teenage boys of my own in an 23' by 18' room.
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH