Rethinking a guest room

smacasaApril 13, 2013
We have happily downsized to a 2-bedroom condo, but I'm missing a space where I can sit quietly with a book. Our second bedroom / guest room is under-utilized and the obvious answer, but it's small (9.5'x12.5') and I can't quite see simply cramming in an armchair. We currently have twin beds, a night table, and a secretary desk-bookcase with chair that we brought from our old home. I want to keep the desk-bookcase, so wonder if there's a better bed set-up. FYI, I'm not a sofa-bed fan and find day-beds uncomfortable to sit on. Suggestions?
astraea
Do you need 2 beds for guests; could you replace the 2 twin beds with a full-sided bed, to give yourself the room you need for an armchair?
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:57AM
How about putting the twins up against a corner wall in an "L" shape? If you do "fitted" bedding, it can look like a sectional sofa, but also comfy beds.
Soho · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:00AM
apple_pie_order
A trundle bed for twin mattresses is great, and far more comfortable than a sofa bed or inflatable air mattress. One style's trundle pops up to full height. You can use your current twin mattresses if they are not extra thick styles and bedding.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:07AM
OnePlan
Could you have a 'drop down double bed' fitted in storage wardrobes - so that it only come out when you need it - thus freeing up space for a chair lamp and small table ?! That can be moved to the side when the beds in use !?!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:33AM
midmodfan
Did you ask yourself if you really need a guest bedroom? How often do guests stay over? Every weekend? Once a month? Twice a year? You are not obliged to have a guest bedroom available at the cost of your convenience. The condo is YOUR home, and it is rather small, so make the most of it FOR YOU.

Although we could have a guest bedroom, we chose not to have one. Instead we put family and friends in a nearby hotel at our own expense. Everybody appreciates having a little time for themselves in the morning and at night, and several have actually copied the idea.

So now, if you really need and want a guest bedroom, please consider replacing one or both bed/s with a daybed. I know you find 'them' uncomfortable to sit on, but that really depends on the actual piece. West Elm, for instance, sells the Nailhead Trim Daybed that looks rather comfy to me. Some cushions, a blanket, et voilĂ : much cozier than an armchair. There are so many different daybeds available these days, I'm sure you'll find one to your liking that is comfortable for you to sit (or stretch out) on.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:57AM
Do your beds have head and footboards? Remove them, use just frames, push them together and use a king set. To replace the feeling of the headboards a Euro pillow will do nicely. Try that arrangement off the short wall. For the desk, purchase a new chair that is more comfortable for reading.
Enviable Designs Inc. · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:23PM
smacasa
To answer @midmodfan maybe 6 guests during a busy year! However one of those is my overseas daughter who comes for a couple of weeks at a time, so we do like to have her with us ;-) But all comments have been truly food for thought, which is why I like this site. All considered, I'm going to start by replacing the desk chair with a more comfortable one (thank you @judyg). After that, I'll consider a change of beds...both West Elm's or a drop down appeal. Poco a poco, as the saying goes. Thanks to all.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 1:28PM
A Murphy bed is a great solution for a office/bedroom. They are also available with the built-in table when closed.
Siena Collection White Home Office With Wall Bed by Valet Custom Cabinets & Clos · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 2:42PM
Ed
Darzy, thanks for the Murphy bed idea. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:03PM
You're welcome! I'd get a Murphy bed too but I don't have a wall space big enough that doesn't have a window on it.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 5:00PM
orangecamera
How about keeping one twin bed for your daughter, and getting a twin sleeper chair for when you have 2 overnight guests. The rest of the time, it's a comfy chair for you.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 5:21PM
Trying to work with existing curtains in guest room
The guest room is in black and cream with bright green...
sunnydrew
Rethinking the kitchen!
I love that you were able to get up to six chairs around...
cyacko
Thoughts on a living room/guest room combo?
We live in a semi-urban area with small houses on tiny...
kwb1999
Help! good start but guest room and office space needs tweaking!
We hope we have a good start on a guest room/office...
jcorn1
Guest Room Remodel - Before & After
My husband and I remodeled our guest room in 1 week!...
Kristen Heimstra
Need Help choosing right paint color for Dormers and siding
First and foremost, I don't like the brick color. ...
andeo19sper
need help deciding how to redecorate our living room
we just recently started painting the walls gray beige...
traveler47
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
What to hang over sofa/ behind TV wallpaper
Hi all :D So here is my living room which is somehow...
rose_jm
Framed or frameless shower?
Hello everyone! My husband and I are building a house...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg