Exterior help
lazy23dazy
Budget and easy maintanence are key! There is a red brick retaining wall to the right. Can take more pics if needed.
Thanks in advance!
misecretary
Things I noticed first:
1. Shrubs (?) are too tall and too close to house. Easy to remove and update landscaping.
2. Gas light pole needs new paint
3. Shedd (building) in back of carport appears to need paint or power washing.
Ideas: Power wash the house and shedd and then take another picture for a fresh perspective
April 14, 2013 at 2:39am   
claudiann
Agree on the above suggestion about shrubs. Another brighter paint color might add a pop. Either replace all of the black or all of the gray. Maybe a dark red. Some medium shrubs such as hydrangeas would look nice under the large window and along the length of the house. A little bench or pretty pot would look nice next to the door.i would paint the shed the new accent color and add some decorative touches since it shows from the street. If you could I would extend pavers or brickwork out from the porch. An arc shape would add a curve to otherwise horizontal line. If you could swing it, I would look into replacing the large window.
April 14, 2013 at 10:56am   
Steven W. Kirchoff Residential Design
Seeing how budget was your very first word in your posting I am assuming you don't want to spend a lot of money on the exterior. Because of this I will keep it simple. I agree with the above comments, by painting the grey frieze board, sidelites, and grey around the front window and get rid of the black shutters will help make your home look totaly different. think about replaceing the black storm door with a full lite storm door and then painting your front door a different color from the trim. I would also remove the two turned post under the covered enrty and replace it with one round tapered column on the outside corner (maybe an 8"). The comments about the shrubs, shed, and post light are right on. Good luck.
April 14, 2013 at 11:21am   
Interiors International, Inc.
It is a cute little house. The grey paint is making it dull and a bit sad looking. Brighten that up with a lighter color ( it still could be grey) or possibly a green. Your yard could use a bit of color and some new shrubs.
April 14, 2013 at 11:38am   
nana25
If you are on a budget check out Blushirt.ca & download a plan that works for you & do it yourself.
April 14, 2013 at 11:39am   
apple_pie_order
I like the front window and porch. Agree with above comments on moving the shrubs, then replacing with low growing shrubs. The light pole needs to be reset into the ground if it is as crooked as it looks in the photo.

If the budget is $200 or less, paint the door and window frames the same color. The shutters can be a brighter color. Move the big shrubs yourselves. Add as many 6-pack annuals and 1-gallon small shrubs as you can fit with remaining budget. For a couple hundred dollars more, rearrange the bricks as the sweeping curved bed and replant.

The light pole can be black or white, both are fine choices. If the hardware on the lamppost is worn or tarnished, use the same paint designed for metal as for the metal post itself or use a different metallic finish. You can take the top part apart to clean the glass, and replace the bulbs while you are at it.
April 14, 2013 at 11:51am   
studio10001
If by exterior, you also mean landscaping, look to evergreens for lowest maintenance. An understory tree for the right corner would help hide the dish, and colorful pots on either side of the door are an inexpensive way to give the appearance of depth to your entranceway.
April 14, 2013 at 11:51am   
lazy23dazy
Wow! I just found this site and figured I would give it a try. Never thought anyone would take this much interest in my project for free! Amazing! I need to get busy! All very useful suggestions, I appreciate them all!
April 14, 2013 at 11:57am     
misecretary
I've already been on this site for 3 months--still a newbie. Just look around--you will see helpfulness and kindness all over. There is one story I've watched with over 2,000 comments...she has a minimum of 3 intererior decorators helping along with just every day people like most of us. So from one fairly new person to another: Welcome!
April 14, 2013 at 12:06pm     
EXTERIOR stone!! Please i need help for change the exterior
I need help for change color of walls of the exterior....
Anyone out there that can help me with my exterior... I need help!
I really want to find a look for my house and I can't...
Need help with Exterior - no one has been able to help so far!
My house has EIFS and I need to have it removed. The...
Help! Need help with the exterior of my house!
Any ideas on how to spruce up the front of my house?...
Wood burning or gas fireplace?
We are building a home and trying to decide wether...
Window/style design help?
Front door needs to be replaced but, In order to do...
Need help for kitchen ???
We bought this house a couple of years ago and kitchen...
Would LOVE input to jazz up my home exterior
Hey I would love some advice on how to increase curb...