Need help with open dining room
tdelwess
I'm slowly adding furniture, drapes, etc to my house which I've been in for 4 years. It already had wallpaper in the kitchen, bathrooms and an alcove between the entry and dining room. All of the rooms flow into each other (except bathrooms) so I decided to stick with the color scheme of the wallpapered areas. The rest (floors, walls) are light. I plan on replacing the flooring (the entire downstairs next year). Meanwhile I found a curio cabinet I would like to buy and place in the partially finished dining room. I also need two more chairs for the table and I was thinking of a sideboard for the one empty wall.

I'm attaching photos to show the flow since you can stand at my front door and see at least part of every room on the first level except the half bath.

I would love any advice on anything!
tdelwess
I was thinking of putting the curio between the two windows. It's 84 x 46 x 18.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:38AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
How much space do have between the edge of the wall and where the art is located on the outside wall?
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:39AM
tdelwess
I'm tryng to figure which area you are asking about. I have the two Paris scenes, the Afghan Hounds and the alcove with the vase.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:44AM
tdelwess
The wall with the paris prints is 7'5". The empty wall is 11'6". The wall with the windows is 12'10". The table is 34" from the wall with the windows but can be moved it some. The walkway from the front door goes past the alcove and you walk through the dining area to get to the kitchen.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:52AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Hello, I thought you were talking about the window area where the swag window treatments are installed. So, I was asking you the distance between that outside wall (swag window wall) and the endge of the dining table. It looks tight but it might be the photo. You need at least 36" between the table edge and what ever furniture is piece is placed on the window wall of the dining room so that you can sit at the table and pull your chair out. So you need to have 56" between the table and the wall now to accomodate the proposed shelving unit.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:55AM
I very much like the vitrine (curio cabinet) you want to put between the windows. What do you want to put in it? I would not want to see it filled with small objects, but large pieces would look great in it. If you have china to store, this does not seem like the right solution.

Instead of a sideboard, I'd like to see a console with an open bottom. The visual weight of a sideboard, combined with the visual weight of the vitrine, seem too much for the room and that's why I suggest a console. But if indeed you need to store china, then I'd select a china cabinet and a console, not the vitrine and a sideboard.

I'm hoping the window coverings you have on the windows are not new as their style does not seem compatible with the modern vitrine. I'd prefer to see roman shades on your windows, starting at the ceiling

Wherever the Paris prints end up, they should be hung even with each other, not staggered, and with about 3" of space between them.
3 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:59AM
brody1313
the sideboard /mirror looks nice and calming....I would put it on one of the end walls by table that can be seen from the foyer.....the curio will probably have a collection thus a more cluttered look, so I would put it on a wall less visible from the foyer.....I think it is too similiar in scale to fit between the windows ......your two sets of art work do not relate.....style, color, frames....eliminate one....every wall does not need a piece of furniture...good luck
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:01AM
tdelwess
Currently I have 34" between that wall and the table. I can pull it out some but not enough to accomodate the curio.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:02AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
You have a great looking dining set so have your replaced the chandlier? I say this because a great vertical mirror would expand the space and reflect a great looking lighting fixture. Keep it simple because having more space and less clutter will always feel larger.
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 7:06AM
tdelwess
No small objects or china in the curio cabinet. Clutter causes me stress! I currently have two somewhat large all white figurines (one Herend, one Goebel) that are sitting out just waiting to be knocked over and broken and another older all white ceramic piece that needs a place. I can fill in any space if needed in the cabinet, but definitely nothing small and no china. I was originally thinking on one of the end walls so I will go with that if I decide to buy it.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:13AM
tdelwess
The window coverings are a year old but I have 4 more of those same windows in the formal living area that I haven't even started yet so they can be moved. I will adjust the Paris prints. Thanks!
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 7:14AM
tdelwess
Should I remove one of the table leaves? Any suggestions on chairs?
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:16AM
tdelwess
The chandlier is the original. I have the old buffet with a large mirror on the opposite wall of the windows. Wouldn't a mirror between the windows cause too much reflection?
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:18AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Do not remove the leaf in the table because the scale is right on. I think you can find another pair of upholstered chairs that can be used at the head of the table and the other chairs can be on the sides. Think of a fabric for the chairs that have some orange in them or the color the window covering fabric becaused that will at least tie together the windows and the table as unit. Find a larger piece of art that is vertical (instead of horizontal) to be placed between the windows. Give it some scale and impact. I think the window coverings are a strong color and nothing else balances them or pushes that color back. So, bring in color to the head chairs at the table, place a great vertical artwork piece with even more color and I think you are going to have a great dining room.
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 7:45AM
An upholstered armchairs such as the one below would work nicely at each end of your table. Then I'd change the chandelier to one of elegance and simplicity, such as the one below.

I'm very sorry to hear that your swag window treatment are only a year old. It's a style that has not been popular in a long time and I would not be comfortable at seeming to suggest that you deplicate them elsewhere. That was not my intention. Since they are new, I suggest instead that you enjoy them where they are but consider replacing them when you grow tired of them.

It sounds as though you don't really need a vitrine since you do not have a collection of large items to fill it.

Keep in mind that using an interior designer can actually save you money by helping you avoid expensive mistakes.
Linen Hayden Dining Chair
VENDOME LARGE CHANDELIER
2 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:45AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I had forgotten about the mirror on the opposite wall. I'm sorry.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 7:46AM
tdelwess
I made some changes this afternoon. I removed the large mirror from above the old buffet and hung a picture I had in another room. Now I don't have anything that looks right on top of the buffet.

I hung the Paris prints level and 3 inches apart, removed the chairs from the end of the table (I'll look for 2 additional chairs as suggested earlier) and took down the print that was between the two windows. I like the mirror idea for that spot. Is the one I have sitting there too large for the area? It is too heavy to easily hang so I only want to do it once. It is 42" wide and 54" tall. The wall space between the windows is 69.5"
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 4:12PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Perfect
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 4:25PM
tdelwess
How high should I hang the mirror?
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 4:30PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Hi, hang the top of the mirror to roughly the bottom of the swag at the windows or just a little higher. Keep the placement of the mirror vertical.
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 4:38PM
ponitayl
Off the top of my head I would place the 2 side chairs on the outer side of the table and place a curio or skinny table between the windows and hang a long mirror above between the windows to add area. Please don't hate me for this, the curtains are not complimenting the windows, nor are the blinds. Try a full wall drape for a romantic effect for dramatics and essence. Blinds are not appeasing to the eye.
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 5:03PM
I would replace the chairs around the table as you previously had them until you acquire host and hostess chairs. It just looks unbalanced without them.

I do think that it's a large painting that belongs on the wall between the windows, since it seems to be the focal point as you enter the room. It should be a vertical piece, so that it properly fits the space.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 5:22PM
tdelwess
I know the dining room curtains are a problem and I am disappointed in how they look. When I bought this house the same blinds were on every window except 4 that are very high. The good thing about the blinds is they give privacy until I'm ready to replace them. Can you upload pictures of some drapes you think would work well? I plan on keeping the current drapes for a while longer since there are some other changes I want to make first. I need to replace the cheap carpet and vinyl and am hoping to do that next year.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 5:32PM
I would suggest simple linen, or linen-look draperies hung from an iron rod just below your ceiling. They would be staionary panels with a privacy shade behind them. For privacy shades I like grass or bamboo shades as you see in the second photo.
Hacienda Chic Residence
Lorraine Vale
6 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 5:42PM
tdelwess
I love bamboo shades
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 5:55PM
That's wonderful. Then may I conclude that you might like a more casual feel to your dining room than what you currently have? If so, you could white wash your sideboard or paint it an interesting color, and live adventurously!
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 6:07PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
You have a bunch a color in the existing window treatment and are they perfect no, but you can progress to those once you have new head chairs. It is great to see the existing chairs fit on the sides and the new head chairs will be an exciting addition. You have a fairly light color palette and the color is fresh against the light neutral color.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:18PM
mainstreetschool
I too see the sideboard in a lighter walk and softer color on the pulls. Bamboo shades would help tone down the bold orange drapes. They are relatively inexpensive at big box home improvement stores and online. Head chairs could be bold and include the drapery color as well as the brown of the bamboo shades. Make sure your art frames are either gold tone or silver tone. Don't mix the two. Change to more contemporary chandelier.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 8:51PM
dsimber
Please realize that everyone has different opinions and you do not have to accept them. Blinds or shades can be very AESTHETICALLY-pleasing (pleasing to the eye) and there are several styles that would look great with your chairs! I love the ones in the second photo (Lorraine Vale) and I think I will use them in my home. Source?
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 9:30PM
dsimber
In Lorraine Vale's photo, I also like the upholstery fabric, and just noticed the orange trim on the bottom. If you want to keep the orange draperies, that is a photo to put in your idea folder!* Have you thought about having your draperies re-made into a simpler style? It seems they could be changed to panels for a relatively low cost and hung from an interesting rod. I wonder if you might add a coordinating or contrasting fabric to the bottom so they would be long enough for hanging floor to ceiling. Personally, I like [inside-mounted] shades or blinds without panels. But you chose this fabric to unify adjacent rooms, right? If you like it, why not try restyling them? Also, I disagree with the "Perfect" reaction to the square mirror and agree with the post that suggested a large, vertical piece of art. I love the photo of the curio cabinet you want to buy; perhaps you can find another place for it and display those beautiful pieces you mentioned. If used in that same room, I would consider a shade or blind that is more sophisticated, and I would probably remove the draperies for more continuity. Off the top of my head, I wonder about Silhouettes, as these are lighter like the curio cabinet. I would make that decision before choosing the piece of art for your window wall, as that will determine the colors. In my opinion, this "lighter" look would allow your Parisian prints to pop. Do you like color or do you like more neutrals? What do you most love about the room? Which pieces do you want to keep as they are? Which are you willing to re-paint? Regarding metal finishes, please DO mix them, as this often makes a more interesting statement and is most current. I look forward to watching your process and your progress:)

*If you haven't already started collecting photos that speak to you, please know that this is an invaluable tool whether or not you work with a designer, and with time, you will see your personal taste develop to the point that you will know if an idea pleases YOUR eye. Sites such as Houzz and Pinterest are great tools, but I love all of the magazine photos I have saved through the years, and find it very helpful to actually have them in my hands and to lay them out on the table when I'm pulling together my paint chips and fabric swatches.
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 10:15PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
I would not paint the buffet, tdelwess, you have no other pieces of furniture that are painted. But I would remove the dog picture, find something colorful, a little bigger, to hang there. Hang the dog in a hallway. Something transitional or more contemporary. And try that direction throughout your house for an updated look.
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 10:42PM
It's a Beautiful World!
tdelwess, for more art ideas, including vertical images, you can check out our Houzz page. Enjoy and best of luck finishing your dining room!... Raisa
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 10:48PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
A little stronger - darker - paint color would help offset the strong color of the window treatments, make things look less stark. So If you are planning to paint in the near future, I suggest a soft grey/beige paint, it would go well with all your wood furniture and make things flow better. And the grasses window shades will help a lot too.
2 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 10:50PM
Cheery Curtains
I like your drapes
0 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 1:25AM
momof5x
You have a nice home ! I think the drapes are not really connecting with the room, I probably would either add a rug under the table with a hint of orange in it, a vase or a table runner.

Bird Floral Rug

Feza Red Orange Rug

City Spaces

Morgan Creek Residence
1 Like   April 15, 2013 at 6:18AM
tdelwess
I hung the mirror I originally had on the opposite wall between the windows. It's 42" x 54" and is hung vertically. It appears a little low to me, I think because the bottom of the mirror lines up with the bottom of the windows but not the top.

I now want to get rid of the white blinds. (I have 23 windows with these same white blinds) Will grass or bamboo shades look OK with the drapes as they are now?

Just the changes I have so far have made a huge difference in the room. I also like painting and it has been suggested I paint the room a soft grey/beige color. I like the color combinations in the pictures that have been posted. I know it's a process but my room still lacks the warmth I see in the rooms above.
2 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 5:32PM
I would raise it by about 6" to be between top and bottom of window. I feel that if it were at top of window it would be too high.
1 Like   April 16, 2013 at 5:35PM
tdelwess
That's what I was thinking. Thanks!
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 5:38PM
Great minds!
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 5:50PM
Judy M
If this were my room, I would replace the window treatments before I replaced the blinds. It would be much easier to pick a nice warmer paint color if the drapes were different. Then you could later change the blinds.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 5:57PM
It would be good to remove the draperies so that you wouldn't have to worry about whether new blinds went with them or not. Do be careful when looking at grass and bamboo shades that they offer privacy if that is what you need in this room. Frequently grass and bamboo shades can come with a separate layer that provides the privacy.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:04PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Sorry about that the mirror placement because it did seemed a little low after I just saw the photos, I agree up about 6" is a great suggestion, otherwise things will be looking great with the new head chairs.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:16PM
tdelwess
Much better 6" higher. What a job that was!
5 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:24PM
Oh yes! Much better.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:28PM
calikym
Remove the drapes. They are dating your room big time.
4 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:33PM
tdelwess
I need to change the drapes/white blinds. So in this case would straight panels work best with grass and bamboo shades? I need privacy because the house next door is about 20 feet away from these windows.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:37PM
ponitayl
Sheers with covering drapes are a very nice touch. You will get light in the daylight with the sheers over the windows and at night pull the drapes over the sheer drapes. It's a very balanced effect that looks rich together.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:42PM
calikym
It's not the white blinds that are the problem. If you take the drapes off, the house next door will still be covered. You just need to get some new curtains, without those folded pleats, since the folds are too contrived. The conservative, traditional look you've got going is lovely, BTW, but you still are young and want it to look HIP traditional. Go to theshadestore dot com or some place like that to get the juices flowing.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:45PM
Simple side panels hung from a 1" iron rod will serve you well. I suggest you select your grass/bamboo shades first and then choose a neutral color that goes with the shades. Staying neutral on the shades and drapery panels will allow you to change your wall color or chair seats as you wish.

Of course it's always wise to have an overall plan for your home before you make such decisions. Consulting with a local interior designer could save you money in the long run by helping you avoid costly mistakes. You'll want your dining room to coordinate with your other rooms and that's where a plan for the whole house can benefit you.
2 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:46PM
Judy M
It might be best to know the direction you're going in fabric wise for the host chairs you plan to add.
Start to visualize the finished room. Then you can implement in stages.
Once you add the floor will you add an area rug?
If so what do you see for the rug.
Without the curtains you pretty much have a blank slate, so what colors would you like?

Do you picture a warm neutral color on walls?
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 6:50PM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Again sorry about that. Can we hire you to hang our mirrors
2 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 7:05PM
tdelwess
I need a plan for the entire downstairs because it is very open. I plan on pulling up the carpet and vinyl in the entire downstairs and replacing with hardwood next year.

The colors I'm using go with the wallpaper that is in the kitchen and bathrooms. I would like to stay with the current colors throughout even though the wallpaper will have to be removed. The wallpaper and white blinds were already here when I bought the house.

The attached paint color sample matches the wallpaper and curtains (dining and family rooms). The kitchen is the color on the lower right corner.
3 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 7:37PM
dsimber
You wrote that you feel your room lacks the warmth of the photos. Which of the four photos above speaks most to you? Study those photos (and any others you have collected) and decide what it is that makes them feel warm to you? Is it the color? (You seem to like orange, and I love the flow with the floor-to-celing panels in the family room beyond.) Is it the table scape of fresh flowers and fruit in the "Morgan Creek Residence" photo posted by momof5x? (I would reconsider the color of those vases, however; they overpower the flowers, always mentioned in gardening and design classes as a "don't.") Is it the lighting and/or lamps? Maybe you are missing patterns! Do you like any that you see in the posted photos of upholstery fabrics or area rugs? I think you need an "inspiration" piece you really love, love, love! Maybe it is a piece of art you already have...the afghan hound, for example. (I love that it is now reflected in your mirror.) Go back to your idea of painting the buffet to make a statement, keeping in mind the color choices you will make for other elements including your wall color. Or maybe you need to find a piece of art, a fabric or an area rug that grabs you like nothing else ever has! Take your time to find the right piece. From that, you can choose your accessories and pull paint color. btw-I agree with all of the recent postings with one exception: the idea of sheers with drapes. (Refer back to the room by Lorraine Vale, posted by Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design, under which you wrote that you love bamboo!) There are so many products available in that look, and they are available at every price point. I also agree with Carolyn that you would be wise to work with an interior designer. Choosing the right one will be easier if you accumulate a folder of photos from magazines and what you see online, then find someone who will listen to what YOU like. Independent designers are more likely to do that; some stores offer free design service, but then you are limited to what their store offers, and you will end up with a showroom look instead of something that reflects your personality. I have worked with independent designers for my last two homes, and I was surprised at how much help I was able to get in a two-hour consultation for $300-$800. If you find the right one, even one consultation could be the best money you spend! I am so eager to read about what YOU like:) and see your room as you add the layers that are going to make it warm and luxurious.
1 Like   April 16, 2013 at 8:55PM
dsimber
Before removing wallpaper from your other rooms, note that it is IN again. That said, it depends on the patterns of yours and whether or not you like them.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 8:59PM
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
tdelwess, I don't want to rain on your or everyone else's parade. Especially after all the work you put in hanging that mirror. I don't think a mirror looks good there - sorry. You should hang a nice piece of art of the same size in that spot. Rule for mirrors: only hang one if there is something beautiful to reflect. A piece of art is of much more interest.
0 Likes   April 16, 2013 at 10:46PM
karen paul interiors
tdelwess, I'm very much enamored with your table and chairs. They are of a very nice style and size for your dining room. I am curious about all the other items you plan to bring into your room. From what I can gather, it appears to me your dining room is of a very average size and really should have few pieces as possible. What exactly do you need in this room to make it function for you? Do you need storage? I'm also curious about your window treatments. Do you live somewhere in the north east? If so, you might want to reconsider how your window treatment serves the room and your table and chairs. If you wish to have an asymmetrical treatment, you might want to consider having the swag with the single jabot on either side rather than the panels. I think what is most important for starters is to understand how you feel about your window treatments and if it is exactly what you had envisioned. If so, then we work around that. If not, then we understand what you feel needs changing and then we can come up with a re-vamp and possibly using the fabric you already have. As for the art and placement of everything else, I do believe you need to either bless the windows as they are or we can revamp them to your liking. Everything else can fall out from there.
1 Like   April 16, 2013 at 11:34PM
Cozy Casita
@Helga, I agree that mirrors should reflect something beautiful and, in my opinion, this one does. Clearly this homeowner loves her painting and her sideboard, as do I, and the reflection of these pieces is just as pleasing as the original. From other angles, you might not have noticed, the mirror is perfectly placed to reflect whatever table-scape td chooses, which currently would be a flower arrangement ... beautiful in many people's eyes. Our perception of 'beauty' is very subjective ... there may well be a "Rule for mirrors" but there certainly is no "Rule for beauty ! :-)

With regard to the drapes; Since they were purchased just a year ago and (my reading of) td's style is that it appears to lean toward simple, uncluttered, traditional elegance, Id venture to suggest that they should not be viewed as 'dated' .. the style is not a faddish one and a traditional decor need not follow current trends. I feel that the addition of bamboo blinds will give them a nicely personalized look .. and I mean that quite literally ... since the homeowner has said that she loves bamboo blinds, I think the marriage of the drapes and the blinds will meet with her approval ! :-)

I think the homeowner's concern that her room does not currently have the 'warmth' of some of those in the photos will be remedied by painting the room in a colour with some depth and adding ornaments and flower arrangements of a slightly larger scale and brighter hue .... as in the 'Morgan Creek' pic above. With regard to the sideboard, I'd also suggest that, particularly when/if adding a bigger flower arrangement or a larger vase, lamps, etc, the painting should perhaps be raised by (what would look to be) about eight to ten inches .. allowing for addition to the sideboard decor of varying heights, without obliterating the bottom of the artwork. I think this also addresses the problem of the painting appearing to be to short/small on the wall space ... the overall composition will be taller and more substantial.

I certainly look forward to seeing how very few adjustments will give the space warmth whilst respecting its simple elegance. ... (Would also love to see how it looked with the addition of a couple of dining chairs of similar style and upholstery to the 'Lorraine Vale' pic above .. which look fabulous with the bamboo blinds and the traditional table.
2 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 12:56AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I think the issue for us commenting on a project we forget we haven't met the homeowner or viewed their entire residence. Sometimes we forget we are just viewing a narrow window window of their home by the few pictures presented on HOUZZ. I suggest to each homeowner getting all of these points of view that you go to each person's own projects photos and determine if their design sensibilities align with yours.
1 Like   April 17, 2013 at 4:58AM
Very good point Oellien.
2 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 4:59AM
tdelwess
I stood in one spot and took 3 different directions. The 4th would be facing the mirror. The front part of the kitchen is completely wallpapered in the brick red. The eat-in part has the same windows with blinds that are in every room. The family room is across from the dining room. The ceiling is nearly 19 feet. The drapes were put in last year also and the only items that definitely will stay are the sectional and coffee table. The blue sofa has been given away, it just hasnt been picked up yet. Everything else is just there for now. The last photo is facing the opposite direction of the kitchen and faces the front door. There is a living room on the right and an office on the left. The stairs and part of the upstairs hall overlooks the family room.

I need to plan what I'm going to do with the dining room, family room and kitchen to start. I am not thrilled with the dining room curtains. If bamboo shades could be hung with them and look OK I would start with that. I also have two windows the same size, side by side in an upstairs bedroom. I could also re-do the drapes and hang there. I prefer two straight panels. I like the fabric, just not the design - at least not for the dining room.

All these ideas and tips are incredibly helpful. And I will re-read them all.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 5:50PM
tdelwess
Unfortunately the wallpaper is coming off the walls in the upstairs bathrooms. So many of the sheets were coming of in the hall upstairs bath that I went ahead and removed it all. The master bath below, has started doing the same. Also there are gaps between many of the sheets and the dark paper really highlights the problem. I love the wallpaper colors but I think I'll be removing it from the master bath next. For now, the half bath and kitchen are in good condition.

This house is in Virginia, was built in 2004 and is 2430 sf. It was a foreclosure that had been empty for almost 2 years before I bought it.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 6:01PM
Perhaps you are fortunate that the wallpaper is coming off easily. You should have a smooth surface under the paper that can be painted. I would not use wallpaper in a huge area. With a budget that is stretched tight with your total house renovation, I'd be inclined to just paint the walls, at least in the master bath.
2 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 6:09PM
tdelwess
If I can get the downstairs rooms on track I don't think it'll take me long to get them where I'll be happy. The dining room already feels so much better.

I'll probably have to pull the MBath wallpaper down fairly soon, not a project I'm looking forward too.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 6:25PM
tdelwess
I've made an appointment to have an Ethan Allen decorator over this week. I'm going to buy two chairs for the dining room table similiar to the Linen Hayden Dining chair suggested earlier. I didnt have any luck finding something I could buy in stock and since the set is Ethan Allen I figured I was better off going back to them and picking the leg style, wood stain and fabric I want.

Once I have the chairs I'll decided what to do about the windows.
1 Like   April 21, 2013 at 5:03PM
I'm so glad that you are involving a local professional.
1 Like   April 21, 2013 at 7:59PM
Persian Crafts
I like all the things you used in these 2 rooms.I think every thing is nice and well located. As you have a good light you can use spread luxury rugs in front of fire place and the space between dining table and cabinet.They help your rooms shines more.Here are my suggestions:
You can find more samples andd all details about these hand woven Persian rugs in: http://www.houzz.com/photos/users/thepersiancrafts
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 4:07AM
dsimber
Great that you are going to work with a designer. Even one consultation can be extremely helpful. Early on, I worked with a designer from Ethan Allen and purchased my dining room table and chairs, sideboard, curio cabinet, wall unit, coffee table and three end tables. I loved it at the time, but now that I am in a smaller house with an open plan, I wish I had more variety in my case goods. I regret not having started with an independent designer who would have recommended pieces from different stores. Since those first big purchases, I worked with an independent designer in D.C. She was not limited to one store, and she had so many more creative ideas. I am gradually getting a more personal look thanks to her help and my art, collected over time. (Posters, if you would, please read more about my problem at the end of this post.*) Questions for you, tdelwess, since current budget is the great determinator for most of us, "What is your immediate goal?" Are you purchasing the chairs at this time because you usually entertain six? Or is it that you want to add upholstered pieces with a pattern as your inspiration for the remaining decisions? As I recall, you plan to install hardwood floors. If I may ask, why not start with buying a large area rug you really love? (I respectfully disagree with the above post suggesting small rugs.) In my experience, it is much easier to find fabrics to go with the area rug than vice versa. There are many places to buy area rugs, and Ethan Allen has a great collection. It depends on what you want to spend.

*For posters willing to advise me on my problem: I'm actually tempted to paint some of the furniture which seems a crime, but I really need more contrast and want a more eclectic look. Maybe I should sell some of this, as the wood is beautiful, and buy pieces that are already painted or perhaps add some primitive antiques. I lived in the DC area and worked with a great designer there. I need a good designer here in Des Moines. Any referrals? As for my budget, I must be careful as I currently need to install hardwood floors throughout the first floor, add windows for more daylight, bring in a lighting expert because most windows face north, and replace all appliances. But I am dying in all of this darkness and boredom!
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 9:03AM
pearlmelba
Hi just
Looking into see how your room is coming along ..........
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 10:53AM
tdelwess
The two chairs I ordered for the table just came in. I call tomorrow to set up delivery. Once I have them in the room then I'll post a new picture and decide what to do with the drapes and the one empty wall.
0 Likes   June 17, 2013 at 4:30PM
dsimber
Eager to see...
0 Likes   June 20, 2013 at 12:33PM
tdelwess
New chairs - need to do something with drapes and blank wall
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 2:07PM
Since you have a pair of pictures on the wall opposite the blank wall, you might consider a folding screen on the empty wall. I love these screens with scenes! The second one is reversible and costs only $159. Amazing! It comes with several choices of pictures. Of course you could just buy a big painting for the wall which would also be lovely. City Printed Folding Screen Functional Art/Photography Printed on a 6ft Folding Screen
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 2:44PM
ponitayl
The room looks great and is really pulling together nicely. Try adding a buffet to the blank wall and something to the wall overhead, maybe a sunburst, not necessarily a mirrored one as you already have a very nice mirror hung. More splashes of contrasting color for POP. Good job!
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 2:54PM
tdelwess
I've had the table for 10 years and the white chairs are a little difficult to get used too. They look over powering to me in the photos but not as much in person. They are so nice that I don't want anyone sitting in them! I only have 32 inches between the back of the chair and the wall so I don't think I have enough room for a buffet.

Also, I was thinking about changing out the blinds but with the chairs in place I think I'll leave the white blinds.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 3:23PM
ponitayl
How about a skinny side table or side board, with a depth of 12" or less? They can come without a lot of depth. Even a glass top side table or buffet would give some grounding to the blank wall.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 3:34PM
tdelwess
I like the idea and that is what I was thinking originally. Just not much space.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 3:52PM
johnj2
What about adding a nice khaki towardsgreen to the walls? Why not leave a single orange panel flanking each window with a bamboo or grass shade blind and get rid of the valance/jabot treatment to update the look. Add a bit more orange in an accent piece or rug and the room will look lovely.
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 4:02PM
ponitayl
Ok, I understand, then maybe a floating long shelf?
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 4:22PM
ponitayl
another floating shelf style
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 4:23PM
tdelwess
I'm going look into either getting a screen or shelves like above for the wall. I like both ideas. It's a fairly large wall how much of it should I look to be covering?
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 5:17PM
tdelwess
johnj2 - for the drapes are you saying leave the long panel on the outside edge of the windows and get rid of the partial panel on each window? What do I use along the top? I'm also interested starting to paint some of the walls.
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 5:20PM
lntrcrts
Remove the curtains buy a taller vase and fill it with white, burgundy and tan flowers. Sometimes a valance is all you need. That mirror was in the right place in the beginning not between the windows. If you start painting, please stay in the beige and tan family because of your dark furniture pieces.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 5:39PM
Genevieve
Keep the curtains those are custom made and expensive , try something like this or a very tall mirror or tapestry.

add some sheers it will complete the look
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 6:07PM
Meghan
I think paint on the white walls would make a huge difference! The walls, carpet, and new chairs all blend together.
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 4:28AM
Genevieve
About getting a rug for under the table , with colours that would compliment the swags , I really think that the windows need a little extra touch to get the finished look , a sheer will do this for sure .
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 4:41AM
pearlmelba
Keep your drapes ....... They add interest to your room love the colour
Look up drapes photos on Hozz lots to look at .....
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 10:15AM
pearlmelba
Just one of many swags go look ......
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 10:51AM
pearlmelba
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 10:55AM
pearlmelba
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 11:01AM
pearlmelba
Maybe add a cream sheer to the already made drapes .....on the other side with the short hanging drape ...
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 11:03AM
pearlmelba

.....

Maybe add more material to yours
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 11:09AM
I don't think anything is going to save swags from looking like they belong in a different century.
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 2:17PM
pearlmelba
Save the swag... Save the swag ......
Did I say save the swag .....
Carolyn ...... Thanks. For your comment .... From that I take it you don't like the swag.....lol
Yes they may well look as if the came from a few and a few more centuries ago. I so must have been born in the wrong century .....
Just sticking up for the swag
All a matter of taste be it individual or other wise 25,993 custom made swags can't be wrong can they lol
Would I or do I have swags in my home YES be it only in two rooms
Well I don't want to be too swagged out now do i
They match my funky sofa
So put your paw up to save the swag lol
NO DOGS. OR SWAGS WE'RE HARMED DURING THIS PHOTO SESSION
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 10:23AM
mainstreetschool
I love the custom drapes. Perhaps paint will calm down the hard contrast of them. I love the chairs. Something low profile would be right for the blank wall.
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 10:24AM
@perlamelba I love your sense of humor and your dog, if not your swags! :)
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 2:33PM
Need help for open plan LivingRoom/ Dining Room
I have an open plan with a leather sofa in LR and mission...
Open foyer, dining room and living room NEED HELP WALL COLORS
took down half wall so now the area is very open. ...
I need help decorating my open living room/dining room
I am trying to redecorate this space and need help....
Bathroom design in progress...
Here's another good example of our interior design...
Struggling with styling my foyer console
Hi everyone, I was hoping for your input and suggestions...
All-In-One Window/Door Trim!
I added a keeping/sunroom to my kitchen. My first...
Bar stool questions
Are these barstools okay or should I use something...
BIG BLANK WALL HELP!!
We have this big blank wall in our living room an we...