Need help choosing sofa colour
helenhelen608
Hi I have attached two photos of my livingroom and planning to buy new sofa to replace the black two seater. The sofa I plan to buy is from Crate and Barrel Davis two seater. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/davis-sofa/s610828 I am scare to change the colour but it needs a cheerful change and so I was wondering what others think? Almond, Bisque or Ash, or Graphite?
helenhelen608
Pardon the unmatched curtain, it is in the works...:)
April 14, 2013 at 7:38AM   
villagegem
go light...
April 14, 2013 at 7:46AM   
how about one of the blues or terracotta?
Modern Condo
2011 HHL Fireplace

Otherwise….bisque (get a sample…might be pinky).
April 14, 2013 at 8:01AM     
helenhelen608
Love the terracotta chair Judg! Its gorgeous. The colour on site is SO different from the swatch. When I was shopping at C&B, the "Mink" is almost pink/salmon colour. So weird...It was more than just okay looking but its definitely what I would have consider. At the moment I mean leaning to Almond and yes I kept thinking about Bisque as its more greeny looking than Almond. It has a greeny-yellow and the Almond is beige-greeny. I am so torn between these colour. I have to get the swatch for the Terracotta and see...
April 14, 2013 at 7:27PM   
jamie0129
I think almond! And then fun pillows!
April 14, 2013 at 8:42PM   
Interiors International, Inc.
Possibly check out some other stores you might find something better.
April 14, 2013 at 8:51PM     
helenhelen608
By the way I already placed the order and did ordered Almond but I know my order can be change since its going to take them 2 months to process it and so that is why I am having second thoughts...I think I will stick with Almond and like jamie0129 said... buy fun pillows!
April 14, 2013 at 9:15PM   
April 15, 2013 at 9:02AM     
Purcell Quality, Inc.
Good choice, a lighter sofa will be great!
April 15, 2013 at 9:05AM     
helenhelen608
Can you guys recommend a new carpet as well. The black and white is nice but I find it really clashy especially my place looks more like a sun room and if I pick a light couch (beige or almond), I like something abit more earthy or softer look on the floor.
September 2, 2013 at 12:34PM     
You have a lot in this small room. Remove some furn that doesn't go like chair by sofa. Add new panels to ends of all windows in a black and white chevron print. Yes you can mix prints if same colors. Go crazy on sofa. Go just a bit bigger. How about a orange or yellow leather. If you can get another Barcelona chair do it and place across from one you have. Get another coffee table, round glass with silver 24" yr looks cheap.
September 2, 2013 at 12:43PM   
helenhelen608
Sorry what do you mean the "round glass with silver 24" yr looks cheap" - I just did not understanding this part.
September 2, 2013 at 12:47PM   
Oil area rug to center of rm more. What is table by stairs? Looks strange. A small silver table where chair is now. Place a 3 pots in black and white solid color. Can we see the rm taken from chair.
September 2, 2013 at 12:47PM   
Do you have dog food bowls on yr rug? Move out of sight like kitchen. Get a black canvas container for toys. Is that a slider door by chair? If not move furn down more also chair away from window. Every thing seems bunched in one corner.
September 2, 2013 at 12:50PM   
I see a shade on window behind chair. Why not do all windows same. remove sheers, not working. Then still add the panels. Chairs at bar look too low and out of place find another place get 2 regular bar stools or counter depends on height of bar. So can be pushed all the way in for more room.
September 2, 2013 at 12:54PM   
helenhelen608
Do you mean to buy a round coffee table? (ie http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30157103/). Table by the stairs are gone now. It is a sliding door but I can move the couch down.
September 2, 2013 at 12:58PM   
The coffee table you show in pic is not right for room a round 24" glass one is better. I like zebra rug. But if you want a change, You might go a 6 x9 in a color to bring some more color in. A lighter color sofa would be better but don't be afraid of color. Like I suggested above. You have been looking since April. Can't you find anything?
September 2, 2013 at 12:59PM   
helenhelen608
Well I have changed the couch but when C&B people delivered the almond/beige couch it dominated alot of the space and so I to returned it and lost some money in this process. I got rid of the dinning table cause it was taking up space. The two "low chairs" at the kitchen counter are actually the right height for the counter. It is not so easy to install curtain/rod because of the open area in my living room. I need stafford set up and then install rod/curtain

From the look of my living room you are seeing the first floor windows (north view). It is actually an open loft and so right above those two windows are another sets of windows (same size as you see in the living rm). Would the black/white curtain you suggest be an overkill then?
September 2, 2013 at 1:15PM     
Sorry sofa didnt work. You need to go to store that has space planners. Then can buy right size for room. Very hard to tell what size you need from picture. Room looks very small with high ceilings. I would try a sectional with a right side return. It would be L shape with a chaise coming off right side as you stand in front of sofa. 2-3 seater with chaise chrome legs leather soft Gray. Add black and gray pillows. Is that just a window, next to chair? Can sofa extend pass that point? Then round 24" coffee table glass. Tall bigger floor lamp in stainless put smaller one behind chair. Chairs at counter seems crowded. Though if you could push under could give you space. Glad dining table is gone. Maybe put plant over on that side? You need some kind of shades or panels on lower windows only. A sold area rug in a color like peacock, or teal, even orange.
September 2, 2013 at 1:31PM      Thanked by helenhelen608
helenhelen608
My bugger (my pet) is abit spoil so my place has been like a barn for him but I am taking charge now and will move his water/eating bowl in the kitchen. I will then buy a new round table (which I a budget for). I like the sectional idea alot. There is the Westside windows where the Barcelona is now but I will get rid of the chair and start building my budget for a sectional too. I can stack the Glen Ikea chairs into one to make room for sure. I do sit on them to eat as I have no other places beside the couch. If you have picture of the carpet in mind, do share as I am abit dumb with colour even if you tell me I don't get it. Some people are just not good with colour but I can tell by seeing pictures. Yes the plant you suggested is on the right place.
September 2, 2013 at 1:51PM   
What kind of pet do you have? Yes we all treat our pets like children. I understand. Sorry cannot up load pics, because I use a phone or IPad most of the time. But we have some people on this site with more tech knowledge than me. That can help. Where do you live?
September 2, 2013 at 2:00PM   
helenhelen608
Please don't laugh it is a bunny. In Toronto, ON.
September 2, 2013 at 2:08PM   
Cute. My daughter had one. So Canada. I don't know stores up there to refer too sorry.
September 2, 2013 at 2:27PM     
The colors I said above. Are in the blue/green tones. Soft nice. Just a pop of color to help with white walls and dark furniture. Use it in pillows and area rugs. Get something soft for rug. So you can sit on it. Sofa a light gray will go with everything. Barcelona chair is nice but too big for area. A smaller chair with legs in a print would work better.
September 2, 2013 at 2:32PM      Thanked by helenhelen608
helenhelen608
I was thinking something like this couch. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79840650/#/S29889210 but abit unsure if I should stick to beige or gray couch.
September 3, 2013 at 9:06AM     
Yes that would work in yr room nice size for you . What colors does it come? White is not it.
September 3, 2013 at 12:45PM   
helenhelen608
Ha ha ha, no white for me. Isunda Gray looks appealing and fresh. I can even put upgrade to silver legs!

Travisinteriors: if you click on the link, there is option for you to click for other colours. It is abit limited but there are about 5 different colours.
September 3, 2013 at 12:49PM   
A strong color for your black and white rug.

September 3, 2013 at 12:52PM        Thanked by helenhelen608
carrie18
Where did you get the Zenra Rug?
September 5, 2013 at 7:39AM   
September 5, 2013 at 9:28AM   
helenhelen608
Finally got one side of the rod installed yesterday. Have a look. Should the curtain be pull together as one? What do you guys think of gray and white chrevon curtain. Will it work?
http://www.westelm.com/products/cotton-canvas-bold-stripe-window-panel-feather-gray-t585/?pkey=climited-time-offers-window-sale&cm_src=limited-time-offers-window-sale||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
September 17, 2013 at 9:51PM   
carrie18
I think that less pillows,but some with patterns would look better.Also, How about a small chair in a bright color such as tomato red, blue,or purple? I have a grey sofa,purple chair with zebra rug and it look nice.The end table is mirrored with black leather and stud trim and the cocktail tail is crome and glass. Had to use older silk purple curtains,I may need something light. I don't think the gray and white cheron will work.color,such as
September 18, 2013 at 6:52PM      Thanked by helenhelen608
helenhelen608
OMG I really love practical advise. Thanks Carrie18. I just removed all the pillows and put just 2 new ones in and they look less cluster. This is working.

This is the sectional I was planning to put in but it will take SOME TIME to put a budget together for it.
http://www.westelm.com/products/jackson-sectional-g563/
September 18, 2013 at 7:07PM   
carrie18
Thanks I have a purple print with beading pillow, a small white one, and a purple with black and white zigzag print on 1/6th of it.On the purple chair, I have a siler beaded pillow and a small grey and white with very little beads. I know what you mean about budget, just moved 2months ago and am working on 1 room at a time.I bought 10 pillows,took home and tried dirrerent combos until I liked how it looked. Not everybodys style,but my stlye
September 18, 2013 at 7:42PM      Thanked by helenhelen608
mickeee
Travis interiors, when on your ipad ,you can take a screen shot of any picture you are looking at, then it automatically saves to your ipad. You can then upload a picture to Houzz from your library of pictures on your ipad.
September 18, 2013 at 8:29PM   
leelee
This one?
September 19, 2013 at 6:00AM   
Genevieve
I think that the style is nice ,when it comes to the colour I would go with Ash instead , yes you could go completely different and choose a different colour like the one above Turquoise, the only thing when choosing these colours is that they are a trend ,in this year and out the next ,my idea would be to stay with a colour that is neutral and change cushions seasonally , even a rug can the rug can be stored for Fall and brought back out next Spring
September 19, 2013 at 6:12AM     
helenhelen608
Genevieve, I like your comment :) Well said.
September 19, 2013 at 11:41AM     
Genevieve
Thank you helenhelen608:)
September 19, 2013 at 1:08PM   
Genevieve
I like the white curtains they look fresh and also give the room a feeling of crispiness, if you are planning to change them with the Chevron ones that you have chosen they will also will look great , but in my opinion it would be too much pattern going on in the room if you keep the same rug ,for that one then I would go plain .

if you like shag its back!

I would treat the windows separately ,treating them as one would give the room a stage look ,when looking at all the fabric on one wall .
September 19, 2013 at 1:14PM     
Genevieve
If this is the look that you are looking for ,the choice is your to make ,frankly with the sheers it looks okay but imagine a wall with Chevron patterned fabric

Supon Phornirunlit/ Naked Decor
Yaletown Loft
September 19, 2013 at 1:26PM   
helenhelen608
Genevieve, I took your ideas and did this. The curtain is not chevron pattern because West Elm only had it in Gray and Beige instead of Gray and White. So I bought this one instead:
http://www.westelm.com/products/cotton-canvas-printed-window-panel-scribble-lattice-b901/?cm_src=PIPRecentView

I also replaced the rug with a Dark gray shag? I can't believe how this pull together so far. It looks pretty good so far (in my non - designer's eye so far). I just want to build the budge to get THE JACKSON sectional or something similar in the months to come:
http://www.westelm.com/shop/furniture/sectionals/?

Let me know what you guys think so far? PS. just ignore the mess on the right side for now, I will clear them out.
September 22, 2013 at 5:52AM     
Genevieve
I really like what you have done to the place :)
I'm happy that my idea was of help to you ,you just made my day :) Enjoy!
thank you ! your friend Genevieve on Houzzers

PS I love the sofa that you intend to buy .
September 22, 2013 at 6:05AM      Thanked by helenhelen608
helenhelen608
I also wants to thank everyone who had contributed. I am really learning (especially curtain and rug which needs similar colour) and someday I will feel confident to try different thinks. My place looks very contemporary when you step into the living area but how do I liven it up with colours? I like colours like mustard yellow and blue/emeral green. Maybe I need new pillow covers.
September 23, 2013 at 9:27AM   
September 23, 2013 at 11:49AM      Thanked by helenhelen608
helenhelen608
Genevieve I am working on getting those two things :) I got the Chevron pattern just to see if I missed out on this look. What do you guys think, the spiral or chevron pattern curtain?
September 28, 2013 at 12:22PM   
carrie18
Love the Chevron
September 28, 2013 at 1:40PM   
helenhelen608
Here is the full chevron and the spiral curtain again.
September 28, 2013 at 3:26PM     
brms
Chevron!
September 28, 2013 at 8:56PM     
carrie18
Chevron!
September 28, 2013 at 10:01PM     
helenhelen608
Hi Guys, here is a true picture of the chevron colour when the sun does not come in yet. It is Beige and Grey (although it looks yellowish gray facing the northern light) and I am really not sure if its too much colours in the room. Let me know! The spiral pattern is cream and gray so its almost appears as white and gray.
September 29, 2013 at 5:52AM   
carrie18
Not I think it looks great, Remember white and gray are neutrals I think the pillows are a little big ,but better now that you have less then before. The room is realy comming tobether now.I loved the zebra rug, maybe you can use it somewhere else in your house.Good job.
September 29, 2013 at 10:30AM   
edithsmom
IMO, the spiral curtains look better in your room as they are a lighter look.
September 29, 2013 at 12:31PM   
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
go light.....
September 30, 2013 at 12:04PM   
helenhelen608
I like the chevron print but the darkness of it sort of bug me. If it was white and gray chevron I think I would have settle. I am going to look at Etsy.com and see what I can find.
September 30, 2013 at 12:11PM   
need help for choosing colour for my living room sofa
I ve decided for sofa(the same model as on the last...
i have dark nut flooring what colour to choose for...
Need help choosing a sofa colour
We have an open-concept living/dining/kitchen space...
help to choose living room colours.have a brown sofa, red curtains
I have a brown sofa, red n cream curtains. neeed a...
Needs Sprucing Up
I would like to spruce up this area with maybe some...
Akward Living Room
We have just redone the floors in our house and before...
Old school track lighting
We just bought a house that... Let's just say needs...