Thought kitchen paint would be perfect, but looks exactly like cabinets!
oakleyspankyApril 14, 2013
Have 'crisp linen' cabinets, light cream with taupe, metallic, and some black granite (not installed yet) dark island, will have dark hickory floors, lake views, wanted cream on cream in kitchen and living room looking over lake. Backsplash will be light mocha/ cream penny rounds. Floor, granite and backsplash not in yet but YIKES! i think I need colour!! Had colour consultant help pick kitchen wall colour to be darker than cabinets (cake batter, BM).. But they blend right in...thinking light mocha a bit darker than backsplash instead and maybe bringing in seagreen to break up the creams and whites. Have Mystic Lake BM (sample pic from one bedroom) in sons room and love it! Maybe use as accent wall against the lake which is mostly windows, and tie in somewhere else? Need fast help, painters coming back to tomorrow, am rethinking whole colour scheme....anyone?
oakleyspanky
Here is sample of Mystic Lake BM and windows on lake, and granite
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:39PM
oakleyspanky
Heavy brown drapes are gone and paint is now offwhite, that is the old floor
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:46PM
Amy Stanley
If the wall color was two shades darker then cabinets it would totally work- what color is two shades darker then the cake batter? What about BM dulce de leche? Since you don't have your counters and floors in yet I think you may be panicking over nothing!

Gorgeous home!
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:49PM
Ed
Oakley, wow, amazing big windows, so nice and open! So much natural light. If you point your camera "away" from the windows, your photos will be less "back-lit" and you can show off the colors of all your interior items much better. :)
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:50PM
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:55PM
Ed
Oakley, gorgeous views from your living room. Here's an example of back-lighting. In photo 1, the hexagonal window is in the back (back-lit), so the door appears darker. In photo 2, taken within 1 minute of photo 1, I brought the camera higher up and tilt it down, so that the hex window was out of the frame, and the door appears much brighter, showing more of its natural colors and features. You can do the same with your interior space if you avoid the huge windows in your photo frame. :)
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:01PM
oakleyspanky
Amy, thats amazing, I was considering that! Don't know if you can see it but the one paint chip is that color! Would BM Mystic Lake go as an accent color on the dining room living room wall against the lake!

Ed thanks for the suggestion but cabinets are just being finished and are custom with colour done in the cabinet shop..think I am happy, just want more color in the walls than had planned at first
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:02PM
Ed
Oakley, nice! Is the Mosaic Cera a possible choice for your backsplash ?
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:12PM
oakleyspanky
Hey Ed thanks so much for the photo tips, I have about 30 pics of the living room that are sooo dark!
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:13PM
oakleyspanky
We have ordered the mosaic cera backsplash, its the paint driving me nuts
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:16PM
Arbutus Interiors
I think you have created some good bones and your kitchen will be beautiful. You are on the right track. Any new paint color you choose will most likely be of a similar value so may not add the punch you desire. You have beautiful windows and fabulous views.

I would add some mock roman valances in the kitchen in combination of the colors you already have with a punch of an accent color - blues or reds or greens with a little black as well.

If you choose to adjust the paint color it can always be done after the fact but first go shopping and find a beautiful fabric first you adore (or bring in a window covering expert) It's amazing how a professional window valance in gorgeous fabric can finish a kitchen or bathroom. Good luck!
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:40PM
Suzan J Designs - Decorating Den Interiors
I think you have to calm down and wait until the rest of the room is complete. :) It looks like you are going for a warm, neutral, classic look, correct? It's the midway part of a project where many people panic - very normal to second guess your selections. You will be able to bring color in with art, accessories, fabric. If you can, have some simple stationary shade or a valance or cornice made for your small windows with a print fabric that has cream, a Mystic Lake color, maybe even a little black and/or beige to start tying it in. A piece of pottery on the island, maybe some canisters on the counter, in the Mystic Lake color. The dulce de leche that Amy recommended is a good choice to bring more color into the room if you're unsure of Cake Batter (although I have Cake Batter in my living room, and I love it, even though I love bold color - I brought color in through fabrics, art, etc), and Ed's idea of adding a little red as an accent to the Mystic Lake is a good one. Maybe your stools can have fabric or leather seats in that color as well. I think you have a great start and you're on the right track, and it's going to be beautiful! Show us photos when you're done!
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:44PM
Amy Stanley
I love the way the all the colors work, and yes I think you could do an accent wall in the mystic lake it is a very calm color too.
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 4:53PM
dawnaudette
We are just finishing up our home build on a lake. I believe I have the exact same granite as your picture shows. Our kitchen cabinets, crown molding, beams, and baseboard, and window trim are enameled an off white. The center island and floor are both a dark brown stain. I was petrified to pick a paint color for the kitchen and family room. Ended up going with BM Grant Beige and I absolutely love it. It is a grey-beige. The room is so light and airy. I would advise getting a small container of this and trying it. I think that you will find that it definitely looks like a color next to your enameled woodwork, but it is very soft. (our kitchen family room face South) Another color that is stunning on a lake with enameled woodwork is BM Quiet Moments. Good luck!
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 5:03PM
oakleyspanky
Thanks Suzan...I am second guessing all my choices right now! I honestly haven't even thought about valances or roman blinds yet, but they will make a great impact, won't they? I am thinking I will try the darker paint in the kitchen and that Mystic Lake colour is really calling my name! Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement everyone, I will post more as we make progress...( tile, flooring and painters in tomorrow)
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:53PM
oakleyspanky
Thanks dawnaudette, just looked at Grant beige and it is lovely...
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:55PM
Yes, the finishing touches is what will pull it all together. Both of those paint colors will look awesome with the black island, your granite and your cabinets. Don't lose sleep stressing over it - decisions are now made, and they're good decisions! Just remember - it's only paint; the cheapest thing to fix in a kitchen. Can't wait to see the progress!
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:17PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Just go with whqt you've already selected and let it take it's shape. Stop panicking! Realx and enjoy the process you've laid the ground work for. It'llbe awesome but only if you let it.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:26PM
oakleyspanky
Thanks Suzan and Greg...Greg are you saying I should leave the walls as they are? The cabinets are Crisp Linen and the wall paint is Cake Batter but they look so close! As you can see, its a small kitchen ( we are downsizing square feet but upsizing price having bought this lakefront home) so I want what little cabinetry we have to show to the best advantage.....I am thinking two shades darker on the kitchen wall..trying to let it take shape, but as it has been going on since start of February I have had too much flip flopping time! I texted the painter late last night ( I am out of town) She must think I am a crazy woman....
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:22AM
caron0217
You are going to have a beautiful kitchen.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:46AM
kimdee24
If it helps at all, at first I thought my cabinet and wall color were too close. But one the floor went down and the countertops and backsplash were installed, it all seemed to come together. Good luck!
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:14AM
I too would want a bit more contrast between the cabinetry and the walls, but I would wait until the kitchen is finished and see the effect. Then you can try out wall colors. There is no reason why the wall paint needs to be done now is there? Many people paint the walls in the kitchen last. When we were choosing our kitchen colors I didn't want too much contrast with the cabinets because there is so little wall space in our kitchen. I thought a darker color would draw attention to the odd little bits and pieces of wall. But after a few years living with a low contrast between walls and cabinets I'm thinking that the next time we paint I'm going to go a few shades darker.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:28AM
oakleyspanky
Thank you Caron and kimdee...I am was thinking I needed to do the darker paint before backsplash is installed but they can do final coat after, can't they? Maybe will hold off...funny, I am an accountant and usually know just what I want and very decisive....just not happening right now,,,,ok I will just let plan happen and change paint after if it doesn't work...I think!!!
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:33AM
oakleyspanky
Thanks feeny...I will try to wait, The walls are primed and have one coat...delaying final coat to the end and sampling darker on one side may be just the thing to do.... I will try to stop obsessing...writing to you guys for two reasons: you are experts, and then I don't drive my friends and family crazy! Better text the painter to hold off! (I am still in Florida on a short holiday, house is in Canada, allI have seen is pictures for past week!)
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:47AM
lynelalib
Your new home is going to be beautiful! and that view... Instead of the Cake Batter color I might try a gray linen color for a slight contrast. It seems that would also tie into your granite, back splash, etc.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:50AM
kimdee24
Like I said, my wall color (Dulux waterchestnut) and cabinet color (Flour Sack) seemed really close, but once everything else went in, it looked a lot better. And hello, fellow Canadian! I wish I were in Florida right now too.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:00AM
oakleyspanky
Oh Kimdee its beautiful, I see what you mean, after all the other elements are pulled together it looks beautiful and not at all bland....and yes Florida was wonderful..back to reality and snow tonight!! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures, just what I needed to see at this stage....
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 9:22AM
kimdee24
You are most welcome, and I'm so glad I could help. I love my kitchen and you will love yours! Happy travels home, fellow Canadian. I can't wait to see your kitchen when it's done.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:30PM
oakleyspanky
Kitchen is now finished, finalizing paint! Used BM Dulce de leche (sp) throughout main floor and love it! Pics show one coat, still needs final...Thinking of doing BM Mystic Lake (blue green) on accent wall under stairs....also maybe in entry. Husband wants just the one wall, would that look too isolated or give it a nice colour pop? We haven't hung art, replaced lampshade etc....Do I stay so neutral or give it some lakey hues?
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 6:48AM
oakleyspanky
Loving the view though!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 7:01AM
carolins
In all honesty... with a view like that through those gorgeous large windows no one will notice the colour on your walls. Stunning!

Love the chandelier above the dining table.

And yes, the colour on the walls is nice and light and warm, the kitchen is beautiful, the accent wall on just the stairs will break it up nicely.

But really... with a view like that.... :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 7:10AM
oakleyspanky
Thanks Carolins!

I had the painters do the accent wall and two walls in the entryway in the Mystic Lake....needs one more coat tomorrow but I think it will really finish things off....I will post more pics then....
    Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 8:42PM
carolins
Yes please, I'd love to see the effect of the accent walls. I'm sure it's looking good. You have great taste, judging by everything that's in there already.
    Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 12:24AM
Okay to leave these kitchen cabinets alone?? Need your thoughts!
Kitchen in need of updates! I am getting new flooring...
julie77777
Looking for thoughts on new home design.
We're opening this up to the community. Take a look...
Robert Schellin
would like to darken the colour of my kitchen cabinets...
thinking of re=staining chestnut or special walnut...ideas...
Marlene Servant
Would love thoughts on cabinet color and backsplash in my kitchen
As you can see, we are in the looong process of renovating...
Ruthie Henderson
I'm looking for cabinets like these for my kitchen remodel!
Where would I find nice cabinets such as these? Are...
ginzing
Looking for design ideas on finishing basement
I have a 1100+ sqft basement with a 9ft ceiling. I...
shaktee9
high ceiling entry
Have a 16' ceiling in a high entry, with a 7x10 space...
beebedeb
Heart Collage
Do you think this would be cool to make? I want to...
swishjen000
Can hardwood be put in a basement apartment
I currently have tile through out the finished basement...
tcurcuru1
Thank you for helping me with my kitchen
We just purchased this home and I would love to update...
missreneerow