Condo Living Room - Color Scheme/Design Help
truelaostha
I recently moved into my open concept condo which opens from the living room to the kitchen.

The overall color scheme of the condo materials is quite neutral with a brown theme (floors are medium brown, counter tops are beige, and the cabinets and fireplace is dark brown (even though they look black in the pictures).

I was going to go for a teal, brown, and beige theme but it just doesn't look/feel right.

I was thinking of adding a grey/charcoal CB2 poof since this will match the lazy boy chair design and the colors match the fireplace tiles.

Any ideas how I can pull the color scheme together or make it feel more complete? As well, any new colors/design ideas would be fantastic. The place just feels empty.
Beginning with your first pix…painting is too high. Get a matching floor lamp for the other side of the sofa, If possible, paint the electrical covers the same as your walls. Move the coffee table closer to the sofa. Now concentrate on pillows that coordinate with your painting. The pillows you have now are not right.

Second picture: your coffee table accents are not good.

Third picture: bring the accent chair up to the coffee table.

Fourth pix: move your dining table/chairs to the left of your fireplace. You do not need pendants and a chandy in the same area. Remove chandy.

The floor mirror, move into your bedroom.
April 14, 2013 at 4:36PM     
Hummingbird Designs
First off you have a lovely place :) . Pick a color you like out of your painting. ( it is to high) you can also use that color in pillows and drapes. Also look for some accents to pop all around the 2 rooms to bring them together
April 14, 2013 at 4:44PM     
anne dee
http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Living-Rooms/Ideas-Teal-and-Brown-Condo/detail.esi?oid=538741
You could change the art over the sofa to incorporate the turq color as suggested in on e of the from from the posted link
April 14, 2013 at 5:28PM   
truelaostha
Thanks you guys
April 14, 2013 at 10:40PM     
truelaostha
Judyg - for picture three, are you saying I should move my dining table closer to the wall and remove the chandelier?

For the accent chair, if I brought it closer to the coffee table the flow of the room seems to be cut off.

As well any suggests for decorative pillows, should I go for pattern or solid colors?
April 14, 2013 at 10:47PM   
I agree a lot with judyg and others...(love the art but lower it). Judyg's idea of a matching lamp floor lamp flanking the sofa would look balanced and very "chic". I would leave the chair in the corner as your "reading nook". Partly because the pattern sort of fights with the FP tile. How about pulling the white ottomans up to the coffee table?
I think the pendants and chandy are fine. In the photo, it looks too close, but at closer look, I think they're good.
April 14, 2013 at 10:59PM     
Sharon
Lovely start. Your rug isn't working for me. The teal is great. I'd add more silver & texture.
April 15, 2013 at 2:50AM   
linlac
Paint the walls a gray a few shades deeper than the art. This will give room more modern feel.
April 15, 2013 at 3:47AM     
I didn't see the ottomans and I like that much better than the chair idea of mine.

True, yes, pillows in a print to compliment the painting. Been scouting around in products.

Sorry about the suggestion to move the chandy. It looks, in the picture, as if it is right on top of the pendants.
April 15, 2013 at 4:53AM   
April 15, 2013 at 4:59AM   
truelaostha
I will look into getting another matching floor lamp.

Great find the pillow.

Sharon - I also agree with the comment of the rug. My thoughts were to get a motif pattern of some sort or even just a plain white/creme rug with same color pattern.

Should I get a colored rug or would that be to much?
April 15, 2013 at 12:48PM   
How about a teal pouf instead of matching charcoal?

April 15, 2013 at 1:16PM   
We Got Lites
Hello,

We would recommend matching the style of your lighting fixtures to your decor-- updated and contemporary. Looks like the fixtures are just standard builder-style lights. The right lighting fixture sets the mood and totally transforms a space.

We would be glad to suggest some styles, but you can get a head start by checking out our Modern and Contemporary Chandelier sections of our website.
http://www.wegotlites.net/Contemporary-Chandeliers_c_73.html
http://www.wegotlites.net/Modern-Chandeliers_c_77.html

To work one-on-one with our design consultant, please contact us directly.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you,

WeGotLites.com
Lighting & Home Decor
Mention "Houzz" at checkout for further discounts!
April 15, 2013 at 3:28PM   
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
I'd get rid of all of that WALL ACNE on the wall. Move it so its all together. Too many white boxes all over. One way to minimize is to get a great wallpaper and have all of that stuff wrapped-wallpaper guys can wrap all light plates-outlets, lots of wall items. Its very distracting from the over all design there. Also the painting is too high. Needs to be lowered a bit.

You need two end tables with two lamps too. Like this:
April 15, 2013 at 3:33PM   
JILL OF ALL~Kaarisa Blackwell
I'm in complete agreement with DARZY...and to ad to it I say work with what you have...adding just a few more splashes of color...floor to ceiling grommet style curtain panels to add softness and warmth, in any vibrant color you love, and then match pillows and other accents to them. I think picture over sofa works well...but again, lower. ;-) It has beautiful colors in it that you could easily choose one of for your wall colors. I agree with LINLAC, Charcoal gray or slate blue, but you should definitely choose what makes you feel most happy. If possible I would replace the rug with a geometric or abstract pattern full of colors that tie your room altogether. The floor lamp would work well next to the chair for reading. Add a couple of low profile side table and lamps to match your coffee table...a few tall plants, and you will have a fantastic, chic place. Just one other thought...if you entertain much, it would be great if you could find another apartment size love seat or two slipper chairs to create L shaped seating area for visiting.
April 15, 2013 at 4:15PM   
Kozai Modern
Great suggestions here! You might want to consider additional seating around the coffee table, whether there's space on either side for an actual chair or maybe a bench. Also, we'd suggest some ambient lighting to warm up the room and add some texture.
April 15, 2013 at 5:17PM   
It's a Beautiful World!
truelaostha, you can bring more life to the room through colors in wall art. And, as others suggested, you can also use a rug and other accessories in colors inspired by your art. Please check out our Houzz page for some color and art ideas. Enjoy and best of luck with your project!... Raisa
April 15, 2013 at 5:21PM   
truelaostha
I like the idea of having two end tables with a lamp on each and moving the floor lamp to the nook area.

I currently have a lot of glass tables (coffee table, dining table, and the end table beside the book) in my place. What type of 2 end tables would work best? Should I stick with a light brown or dark brown wood color?
April 15, 2013 at 9:07PM   
KShoa
I like the kitchen and the eating nook. I would concentrate on the seating area. That couch looks a little lonely. I would move the two armchairs closer to the couch and create a cozy corner to hang out, watch tv, etc. You can figure something else for that corner (a piano comes to mind).

Although your art is nice, it blends in too much with the colors of the wall, the couch, the floor... You need art that pops up. I'm an artist and offer hundreds of configurations of canvas prints including very large sizes. https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Good luck!
April 15, 2013 at 9:18PM   
Brianna Johnson
More pictures on the wall will help tie the room together.

Here are some of my photographs: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyLittlePlunder

You could mix an abstract painting with photography to offset a rougher texture from the painting. Let me know if you are interested :)
April 15, 2013 at 10:26PM   
Egoist Design
Adding side tables on each end of the sofa, lamps with matching or different lamp shades and definitely some window treatment would do the trick! However, if you would like to kick it up a notch, I would add one or two accent chairs.
April 15, 2013 at 11:09PM   
Vintage By Dounia
you can also go with a pop of sparkle with a metallic pouf like this one http://www.vintagebydounia.com/collections/furniture/products/moroccan-leather-pouf-silver
April 24, 2013 at 6:42PM   
clynch10
Overall looks good! I like the painting. I would definitely move the chair in so it looks more conversational and inviting. I dont think it will block the flow if placed in line with the coffee table at 90 deg to the couch.. You just walk by coffee table to get outside and it opens up the area and light near the door. Or the ottoman/ poof idea is a reasonable choice too. If you do side tables I like glass.
April 24, 2013 at 7:10PM   
Need help choosing paint color for Kitchen Living Room combo in Condo
We need to paint our kitchen, living room and hallway...
Need help with dining room/living room color scheme
I need help with a color scheme for our dining room....
Living room color scheme/big wall help needed
Small living room, but high ceiling with one very prominent...
Need Help with Color Scheme living room
My color scheme is awful! It all clashes. Light blue...
Need help with color scheme of living room - pale blue, tans, white
I attached photos earlier but it didn't work. I have...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
kitchen nook suggestions needed
I have attached a picture of my kitchen nook. I have...
kitchen
I have a full floor to ceiling window in my kitchen...
Help with my kitchen countertops
I am getting quartz countertops and am trying to decide...