I need help modernizing my fireplace wall.
haypenny
My husband and I just bought a house in its final stages of being built. It is craftsman style and the builder and designer have done a fantastic job, but given the opportunity to have some input I am trying to modernize a few of the finishes. For example, he built this lovely fireplace mantle and framed out a recessed spot for a TV. I tend to prefer clean lines and a simpler fireplace wall, with a stone surround, so I have asked him to remove the moulding. He left the frame around the TV and I'm inclined to remove that as well for a flat wall. Can anyone give me any guidance on how to solve this wall? At the moment I'm thinking a heavy textured wall-covering and stone fireplace surround. Should I keep the TV frame and paint it a different color or lose it altogether?
Happnie Homes
How about built in book cases on the sides? Is Happenny your last name? We could be related if we went back far enough.
April 14, 2013 at 7:17pm     
haypenny
Ha! Haypenny is not my name, but if we go back far enough we are all related. :) I love the idea of built-ins, I also love some open industrial shelving either side. If my wall is flat I fear the built-ins will create a weird recessed area for the fireplace, is that right?
April 14, 2013 at 8:00pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
The built ins will stick out to far why don't you like the current look with the coffered ceilings the white mantle ties in well
April 14, 2013 at 9:03pm   
velraycollins
I'd get rid of the framing all around the fire place and above and put marble or some other smooth finished stone all the way from floor to ceiling beside and above the fireplace, there's a picture of one done like that here on Houzz (look under livingroom/fireplaces) ... looks smooth and modern which sounds more like what you're looking for.
April 14, 2013 at 9:12pm   
mmrios
I think you should loose the tv frame all toguether, use some modern stone or subway tile in the mantle itself, build some low bookcases on both sides of the fireplace , get some modern smart artwork for the top of the boookcases . the ceilings are beautiful....from MMR, good luck
April 14, 2013 at 9:17pm     
ewad
I agree, remove the frame around thr whole fireplace! You could also use stone instead of tile.....
April 15, 2013 at 6:16am     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
- Agree with the above comments about removing everything, and suggest you leave a recess only big enough for the TV mount, not the TV itself, to make it a little more "futureproof".

I also agree with your thought about built-ins making the fireplace appear recessed. Some kind of open shelving will minimize that effect.

FYI, most stone will look best with about a 18" on each side of the fireplace opening to allow the stone to "weave". Some folks will try something too narrow, and they end up with a single stone on each side of the opening, like this:
.
April 15, 2013 at 6:45am     
haypenny
So helpful!! Thank you.
April 17, 2013 at 7:18am     
gerihernandez
How about something like ledger stone? It's contemporary and timeless, I used it in this "modern craftsmen interior." see photo
Geri
April 17, 2013 at 3:01pm     
Long Island Mantel/Island ArtScreen
Bookcases on either side would add a lot to the space. Also, concealing the television with a ArtScreen would work well also.
April 18, 2013 at 5:28pm     
Mike BROUSE fine art
original artwork is always preferred over prints
April 22, 2013 at 9:11am   
pearlmelba
once again you are right as you have posted on many posts more to advertise nothing wrong with that not every one can afford original art or even want it or maybe they can when did you say your half price sale was
April 22, 2013 at 10:14am     
Drafting Design Service, Inc.
I think white built-ins would look quite nice. It would give you a place to place photos as well so you could recreate the theme over and over simply by redecorating the shelves.
April 22, 2013 at 10:18am   
leelee
It sounds like you don't want your TV over the fireplace? That's good...I think the fireplace should be the focal point. The TV should be in an armoire or cabinet so you can close the doors and hide all the equipment. Go flat over the fireplace then you can add your own special touches. That niche isn't good unless (and I hope not) you're putting the TV there. I don't care for the frame with or without the niche.
April 22, 2013 at 10:27am   
Napa Valley Fixer Upper
We're planning to remodel a house in Napa Valley in...
I would love some fabulous ideas for this potentially adorable shed.
I am going with a french patio, and the next thing...
Yay or Nay? Indoor fairy lights
Are you a fan of using fairy lights indoors? The twinkle...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Wall and Ceiling paint scheme for a new home
Our new home is currently being built. But we are having...