What neutral interior paint color works with the smoky golden oak wood trim?

rrstillApril 15, 2013
My husband and I purchased this home that has a large amount of golden oak trim that has a smoky glaze applied. I need help with interior paint color that would keep the space light and airy with a warm feel. I am coming from a home that had a Tuscan flair with light trim. I am wanting to achieve something different. I am completely baffled!
Nicole Ingram - Stacy Nicole Interior Design
Try painting the walls and Ceiling Benjamin Moore's HC 38 Decatur Buff its a nice warn neutral color, then add pillows, throws, rug, etc. in layers as your budget permits. You want to get a sample quart and paint a wall, don't be fouled by the sample swatch. it does the color no justice at all! Good Luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:23AM
Anything that has an oak trim has a yellow undertone - to counteract it you could go for anything from a deep aubergine to a pale lavender (which would add a lovely serenity to the rooms) (see the example below of the wood with the wall colour)
New Home - Modern & Efficient · More Info

Ski House · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:25AM
carolins
Isn't there a colour in the fireplace tiles that you like with the colour of the trim and that can lead you towards a paint colour?
Taupe, warm white or I could also see a soft sage or light green.

Please do test the colour out first on a large piece of posterboard or plasterboard and place that against all the walls you want to paint. Look at it in different lights and then decide.

Antique Jade Paint · More Info
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:32AM
Gantt's Decorating
In my opinion the best neutrals are colors that are between sage and grey. Sherwin Williams SW6164 Svelte Sage for example. It goes with almost everything and is warm .enough to look good with wood
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:37AM
angela428
Hi, I love your ceiling and it would look marvelous to paint it a rich cobalt blue with a bit of shimmer to it. The walls I would do in paper white bright and put art work up for the additional color. Or paint one big canvas yourself with blues and lavenders dramatic and daring.
The height of the ceiling will become even taller and you will love laying down and looking up. That would be my suggestion, I know you wanted the walls, but your ceiling is special.
Thank you.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:48AM
Shannon Pavey
I love all the trim work/moldings in your home. It's really beautiful! I would keep the paint color simple and let the trim work be dominant. Sherwin Williams has great paint guides you can pick up with tons of suggestions.

As the others recommended.. actually try the color out on the walls. Colors change once they're on a big surface.

Here are two rooms that stood out to me...
Retro Family Room · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:05AM
Shannon Pavey
Riverdale Living Room · More Info
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:06AM
Ella at Wishack.com
ASVInteriors, love your second suggestion for the Ski House. The darker neutral is lovely. A plum color would be nice, or some kind of grey color.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:09AM
Color Zen
Actually this smoky glaze is working in your favor! It makes the wood quite neutral and versatile- you could go either warm or cool in color. My 2 suggestions are- don't go too pale, choose a medium tone. And choose colors that are muddy, aka- really grayed down. I would stay away from yellowy tans and go with something... well, smoky :) River rock colors. I also love the gray/violet & retro living room photos above. Good luck!
    Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:00AM
Looking for the perfect neutral interior paint color?
So, it's about time to paint the inside of the whole...
Ann
What Color works with the Natural Wood Trim in my Bedroom?
We are going to paint our master and I'm having color...
tbaisa
Golden oak, open concept feels small
We have a "great" room with our kitchen, living and...
lbmadsen
Golden Oak Trim / Dark Wood Floors?
I have Oak, a lot of Oak in my house. No, I cannot...
jtock2246
HELP - Best Paint Color with Oak Cabinets
Our kitchen has those honey-colored oak cabinets (great...
chloebud
Trim color to go with SW Languid Blue?
I just finished painting my spare bedroom using SW...
julieosland
Bedroom
Hi, just trying to figure out a way to have a CO/Smoke...
homeydontplaylikethat
must have
Where can I buy this set
lechall
Unused Space under Floating Staircase
Considering this is the entrance to the apt, we were...
Pasha Royzman
how to cover bare spot in splashback amid glass tiles
Need a tile border (4") to go behind range between...
Janice Hatfield