Need suggestions for front elevation, curb appeal
carolinejane2
What color to paint the awning if it is left up. If taken down and replaced with a permanent porch roof what style would best fit the house? What color to paint the door? Driveway is to the right of the house. Any suggestions for the yard? Thanks ahead of time! I've been wrestling with "what to do" for years!
Fenstermann LLC
Your house looks very cute...all you need is an upgrade for the awning and a cottage/craftsman style door from wood or fiberglass. If you have some extra money left, bring a nice wood railing around your porch and get some nice handrails for your stairs...
April 15, 2013 at 3:25pm     
carolinejane2
Thanks so much! When you say "upgrade the awning" are you suggesting painting, putting up a different type of awning, replacing with a permanent roof overhead? The door actually is the original craftsman door with three windows at the top but can't be seen. It is painted "eggshell" but I would like to change it. Would appreciate any suggestions
Thanks.
April 16, 2013 at 8:36am   
handymam
Oh my gosh carolinejane2, that house is adorable! Please do take down the 5o's awning and replace with a permanent roof with square posts and railings. I think that you might want to paint the steps if you are not going to replace them with with something else. If you get new posts and railings for porch area, get them for the stairs as well. I would keep the door you have, but pick a nice color to make it stand out more.

Check out the houzz ideabooks for ideas. I think your landscaping is lovely as well!
April 16, 2013 at 8:45am     
carolinejane2
Thank you!
April 16, 2013 at 12:24pm   
Darling house - YES, take down the aluminum awning. Unless your home is south facing, I would not put up a covered porch on this style home - but a proper railing would complement the pretty wood bracket supported roof over your entry door.

Consider heading navy with the entry door for now - not too pow a color, but completely classic with the red brick and white trim. That would also make a better color for your concrete porch, and allow me to suggest you paint the concrete stairs cement gray until you finish your new railings. Then, consider using gray slate or bluestone to top and face your stair and porch.
April 16, 2013 at 12:38pm     
Kathryn Peltier Design
Darling house! I agree - remove the outdated awning and replace with a nicely designed porch roof, if that's what you want. You might consider turning the porch roof into a pergola over the room on the left - it would help tie that part of the house into the brick portion. There are a couple of things you could do before you get to the porch roof: first of all, the front steps are the first thing that is noticed because they are so bright. Are these concrete or actually painted? I can't tell. They can be toned down with a stain if concrete, probably in the gray range which would be neutral but probably look somewhat like the mortar. Same goes for the porch floor itself. If they are already painted, go for a darker green. Also, I would paint your trim in a different color. Are your windows wood or vinyl? If they are wood, I would go with a 2-tone paint scheme of your choosing. I think that a leaf green (grayed down a bit) would look nice on your trim and siding and would contrast nicely with the brick. A lighter version could work on the sashes, or you could go more neutral with a ivory to straw color. If your windows are white vinyl, they can be painted but I know a lot of people don't want to. Then you could just go with a lighter paint scheme so that the white is not high contrast with the accent color, perhaps more of a neutral color (light gray?). The front door would be pretty painted in an accent color. If you are going to replace the porch roof, then I would suggest a brighter color - maybe a rose or coral color? What are your interior colors - a front door color that leads into the interior colors is always nice.

Brick bungalow: nice trim color
Cottage garden
Front Garden

Completely different style of house, but a roof that turns into a pergola:
Norwood Residence

Railing detail which would be pretty on your house:
Modern Bungalow
April 16, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Ironwood Builders
Adding a porch instead of the awning is a good idea....unfortunately, because of the chimney and roof lines...not too workable without some pretty major expense and renovations. i recommend a traditional canvas awning supported by wrought iron. A very traditional look was to use a spear as the corner support for the awning. Take the opportunity to do a more detailed and heavier wrought iron handrail and balustrade system.[houzz=Renovation][houzz=Queen Anne Addition amd Renovation By Fine Construction][houzz=Railings][houzz=Clayton Gardens: University]
April 16, 2013 at 1:37pm   
shead
This house looks almost exactly like my husband's grandparents' house that we lived in for a couple of years many moons ago, aluminum awning and all. The new owners took off the awning and created a sitting area on the front and it was a tremendous improvement.

I do, however, think that a pergola type shed would work well, too. I would suggest maybe taking off the awning to begin with and possibly adding a water feature where the fireplace is to break up the "dead space" on it, and definitely repaint the concrete. If that doesn't do it for you, you could then add a covered roof, etc.
April 16, 2013 at 2:31pm     
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Nice house which would be nicer I think with a porch addition and painting out all the white trim with a blue gray that would compliment the red brick and of course landscaping. It appears that you have some nice landscaping already started. I can't see the path that leads from the entrance to the driveway but it appears that the garden beds on both sides are not well defined or large enough. Don't know if it makes any sense or is practical to make a new paver walkway from entrance to garage as shown in my doodle below . Small blooming trees on either side, curved flower beds with low growing evergreens, ornamental grasses and perennials add to curb appeal . If there is a sidewalk which I can't see I suppose its a straight run from entrance to driveway and therefore the flower beds near the house on that side have no defining shape.
April 16, 2013 at 2:38pm     
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Here's the blue gray color that goes so well with red brick :
April 16, 2013 at 2:40pm     
carolinejane2
thank you so much for so many wonderful suggestions! Using "paint" I used my meager skills to try to incorporate some of your ideas in the attached pics. My current house color on the eaves is a 'vanilla.' The windows are white. There is a screened porch on the back of the house that is also white as is the trim around the french doors. Like the pergola idea. Have not tackled landscaping yet.
April 17, 2013 at 8:46am   
carolinejane2
>ahead:Like the idea of taking the awning down as a temp measure until possibly a permanent roof could be put up at a later date...with the awing down the water feature could be considered too...would love to extend porch for pergola
April 18, 2013 at 5:45am   
carolinejane2
>Ironwood Builders.:thanks for your suggest A traditional canvas awning might be a good idea until some kind of permanent covering could be put it.The current alum. awnign is very outdated..I like the spears idea...
April 18, 2013 at 5:49am   
carolinejane2
>Sweet Caroline: thank you for your "doodle." It helped me "see" the possibilities.
You're correct the walk way is straight to the driveway. Love the idea of the curved walk way and plantings.. I can see how it would really add to the house and front yard...
April 18, 2013 at 5:53am   
carolinejane2
>Kathryn Peltier Design: like your suggestions..love the muted colors..the windows are vinyl and your're right..I am squeamish about painting them..Thanks for your suggestions!
April 18, 2013 at 8:45am     
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
Another update suggestion would be to paint the bricks.. (I can hear the screams already of brick purist) A nice darker taupe/ Khaki color. It would really update the house and if the windows aren't vinyl Id paint them out too perhaps darker smoke grey color. The awning has to go even if there is no porch rebuild.
March 26, 2014 at 5:27pm   
handymam
Rococo, look at the date, lol! This happens a lot lately. This is from a year ago.
March 26, 2014 at 5:29pm   
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
Well .. It came up as a fresh dilemma ... Perhaps if your project is all finished you should delete the posting.
March 26, 2014 at 6:03pm   
handymam
It's not my dilemma. I'm just saying you should look at the original and last date before posting, that recently old threads are getting bumped up and you could spend a lot of time on a thread that is not active. :)
March 26, 2014 at 6:19pm   
Kathryn Peltier Design
This has happened to me, too. Houzz is displaying old dilemmas on the side - I don't know why. Some are interesting to read through, so I dont' know that they should be deleted, but it IS a pain to keep checking dates!
March 26, 2014 at 6:22pm     
handymam
And it does make you wonder what the person ended up doing, doesn't it?
March 26, 2014 at 6:25pm     
What to do with wall another images
Another image wall behind staircase and hall wall that...
Need help with decorating an extremely narrow living room/kitchen
I've purchased this tiny condo with a very small and...
Exterior update
What can we do to spruce up the exterior of this house?...
Is it okay to mix cool tones (exterior) and warm tones (interior)?
We are building a new Colonial style home and are considering...