Me and my bathroom were born the same year- 1980

amysettleApril 15, 2013
Hi,
I really want to stop hating my baby poop color inspired bathroom. I love color and modern style.
This is going to be a DIY kind of project.
Here are plans so far:
1) remove mirror and replace
2) remove over the toilet cabinet all together
3) because the sink cabinet is not real wood I just bought primer to paint it and buy all new hardware

What color should I paint the cabinet?
What color would make this small space pop?
Is it ok to paint kitchen and main bathroom same color?

Any suggestions are so very appreciated. I want to get started right away.

Thanks,

Amy
nasmijati
Could you frame the mirror instead of replacing it? There are kits for this at home supply stores and online.

What color did you have in mind to paint your kitchen?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:02PM
I would remove the mirror with not a moment's hesitation. Out, out damn mirror! Then, here's what I would do:

1. I would buy a new framed mirror, about 24 x 36, checking to be sure it will fit under the light fixture, which will be going away, but will need to be replaced.

2. I would paint the vanity cabinet a nice soft mossy green, such as Sherwin-Williams SW7732 Lemongrass, in a semi-gloss finish. Whether this color works for you or not, I don't know. You'll need to tell us what other colors you're using in the house.

3. I would replace the light fixture with this LED bath light which will cost you about $230 but worth every penny as it will save you many dollars in electricity.
Tube P5044 LED Bath Bar by George Kovacs · More Info

4. If it's in the budget, I would remove the countertop and sink (yours is all one piece). I'd replace it with a quartz countertop and undermount sink and here's the important part! I would have the countertop continue beyond the vanity top with a 6" ledge going across the toilet to almost the edge of the shower tile. Why would I do that?? So that instead of the 24 x 36" mirror I mentioned above, you could now place a mirror to the ceiling going all the way across that countertop, making the bathroom look ENORMOUS!...well, maybe just large and not enormous, and we do this by doubling the space visually! The nice mirror people would cut a hole in the mirror through which the electrician would install the light fixture.

If the quartz countertop part of this scared you off, then consult the person who does cultured marble countertops in your area. They can usually make a countertop in plain white, with no veining, that will look a lot like a white quartz countertop. They can do this for an undermount or a top mounted sink, and the cost will be considerably lower than for granite or a quartz countertop. Explain to them how you want the countertop to extend over the toilet in what is called a "banjo top". See example below.
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:29PM
amysettle
Hi,
I can't frame the mirror because it goes all the way to the wall. I would like to buy a new modern mirror. Here is the current color of my kitchen. I love the color but I just don't know if it's okay to bring same color in bathroom.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:32PM
amysettle
Thank you, Carolyn. Great ideas.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:37PM
amysettle
My budget is $250
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:50PM
Well then start with a framed mirror and paint. That will lead you in the right direction and you'll be so delighted with the result that you'll be able to save up to do more to make your home beautiful. Best of luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:06PM
kimdee24
Well, Amy then let's make that $250 go a long way. If you love the blue in your kitchen, there's no reason you can't paint the walls the same color (use semi-gloss for baths please) -- or you can use a 3/4 tint of the same color if it's too dark, I can't tell from your photo. Paint out the cabinet -- I was going to say white, but your counter is white, maybe someone else will have a better suggestion -- grey maybe? Or black? Remove the cabinet over the toilet, replace it with a floating shelf from Ikea and place some nice white towels on it, rolled up all spa like. Add a great shower curtain and a bathmat in colors that go with the blue wall, some candles...

Just some thoughts for what they're worth! Good luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:12PM
A Crew of Two
I love the blue....what about a lighter version of that? We redid a mirror with epoxy and glass tile. It came out gorgeous We used thin trim and put the tile right on the glass similar to the pic below. $20 new mirror. Paint the walls white and the cabinet blue.
Young Family Home · More Info
Young Family Home · More Info
Jasper Blue Gray Strip Glass Mosaic Tiles · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:14PM
kimdee24
Ooh... good idea Kelly. Once, I got some moulding from Home Depot with corner blocks so I didn't have to cut a mitre (I can't remember what they're called), cut it to fit, painted it silver (paint the back black because it will show in the mirror), and glued it to the mirror and created a frame... and it was like yours, against the wall on one side. Easy peasy and cheap.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:18PM
A Crew of Two
Some fun wall art and then maybe black accents- towels, soap dispenser etc.
Blue Owl Archival Print by United Thread · More Info
FRÄJEN Washcloth · More Info
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:20PM
Madeline
As @etzia said there are kits for mirrors like yours. If you didn't want that expense you could frame it by using frame molding and glueing it to the mirror and then painting it in high gloss, black white, silver, gold, whatever goes with the walls and lighting. Why take a huge chunk of your budget for a new mirror? Do this rather simple job, then use the saved funds for a terrific copy of the Kovacs light for example. And Carolyn's idea about the cultured marble without the "culture" so to speak is nothing short of genius in my opinion and you absolutely must give it the attention is deserves. It's so clever too, did I just say that. Oh, by the way, what color is the kitchen you had in mind?
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:26PM
amysettle
Thank you Carolyn, Kim and Kelly. All of your suggestions have left me feeling excited and that I can do this.
Carolyn- what color would you suggest for the cabinet under the sink? Wall color?
Kim- great idea about shelving. I'm going to do that.
Kelly- could you please explain to me how you made your mirror?

Thank you ladies!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:27PM
Madeline
See. @Kimdee did what I had in mind for your mirror. @Kelly. Love black accents with the blue.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:29PM
kimdee24
You got this, Amy! Have fun with it!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:32PM
amysettle
Madeline- I 100% agree about the mirror. I'm going to work with what I have. When I saw the photo of Carolyn's suggestion..I went "oh wow" too. That just has to wait for now.
The kitchen color is blue. I attached a photo. Thank you for your help.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:33PM
amysettle
I'm going to paint the door white as well along with new hardware.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 8:11PM
A Crew of Two
We used glass tiles and epoxy. It's a bit messy so have your work area prepped. Just peel the tiles off the backing. Sort them by size and color so you can create your pattern. We didn't have to cut any- we just mixed and matched so we ended up at the end of the mirror. Glue the tiles on with the epoxy and let dry. Then use wood trim to finish it out. We also glued that on- we painted the trim white- our tiles were white, silver and blue. If you are super careful you do not have to trim the mirror out, but I think it finishes it.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 8:23PM
amysettle
Perfect Kelly. Thank you so much.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 9:28PM
Amy, a blue and white bathroom is a classic that would be beautiful in your home. I'd go a shade or two lighter than your kitchen and use the same white that is on the trim in your house.
An Island Cottage · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:42AM
I want to paint my 12 year old daughter bedroom
I need some intresting suggestions in what color to...
lreyzelman
Help! My master bathroom is also the guest bathroom.
We have been living in our home for 20 years. When...
blacour14
Updating a one-story, 1980s Florida house
We have a home with original, slightly better than...
trishroth08
Year long counter top indecison. Help!
I've waited a year for counters, using plywood with...
carolbrandywine
MY 1980' KITCHEN CABINETS
Hi everyone. Purchased this home an unable to remodel...
1prophetess
Please help
What color should i choose for the armchair if im going...
Ayesha Ah
~@ FULL TOP HIT'S[MEGASHARE] Chinderella ONLINE FREE
Chinderella (2015) at #Megashare #Solarmovie #Viooz...
sunbokong
What tile to use.
I prefer dull rather than shine. Counter is busy. I...
gramszilla
Anyone else nervous about gray paint?
I know gray is the IT color scheme right now - 5 minutes...
Rebecca
how to have light in bathroom (maybe over tub) with privacy?
We are renovating and will be adding a new master bathroom...
gadelander