Transformation from utility room to bathroom
baggie2April 15, 2013
I apologize to MNKY for importuning her bathroom discussion. I will start my new bathroom to this new one.
baggie2
Drawing, but new utility will not have the built in cupboards and counter. We will determine after the washer and dryer and entry are installed what we need for storage.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:23PM
baggie2
Diana, difficult to describe without using my hands! It is confusing. Does the drawing help? There are actually three doorways in that small space. The one from the dinette and walking straight through the room to the one with the cat door which goes into the storage room. The other to the left of the dinette entry goes into the garage. The double folding doors are a closet which may become the shower. The ribbons are VERY old and were won by my parents' dogs. None of my sisters wanted them so here they are in my utility room along with a dog portrait and a needlepoint picture of a cat...just so they won't feel slighted. My husband vetoed putting them over the mantle in the family room, but I couldn't just throw them away. The utility room is one room he likes to ignore, so there they dwell for now. I donated the trophies to local 4H dog obedience groups so the kids could have awards.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:43PM
michee627
It's very funny because I moved mine too as I had usurped someone else's!! :) So for tile solutions in my utilitarian baths (kids and laundry) I did the standard white subway tile on the walls and used the merola black and white spiral on the floors in one and the merola black and white hex for the other... I'd post you pics but the kids are sleeping! It is really cost effective and made sense for the age of my home. You can get both at home depot/lowes. Lots of people use the subway and then pick a more costly accent tile to mix with it which is also smart.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:53PM
michee627
on the layout... do you need all of the doors interior doors? I'm not sure how it relates to your living space but it seems like a lot of doorways using up space. That would be something to look at. It appears the thing on the bottom is a closet, "above" it is the laundry and then the bath? OK I just reread your earlier posts... do you need the storage space and the laundry to be separated by the wall? What if you combined them and moved the wall with the w/d "down" to give you a much bigger bathroom?
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:57PM
baggie2
The lower door is a second entry to garage from current storage room which will be utility. I think we will eliminate the door into the new utility area, but the other doors will remain. There is a pocket door between current utility and dinette and we will probably use a pocket door for the bathroom. We had white subway tiles left from the main bath so will be using those someplace. I like the flooring ideas and was thinking of doing the walls and trim in grays so that would work well. Are you happy you made the change? I'd love to see pictures when you can take them. Thanks for the ideas!
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:09PM
dianahb
baggie2: Well, I'm glad we got the ribbons/awards thing cleared up. It made me sad to think that your boys had won those, and they weren't on prominent display somewhere in the house. ;)

Okay-- so I think I was confused by all the doors. Honestly, the photos are a much bigger help to me. (I'm a photographer, so I relate better to photographs as visuals.)

Again, though-- I think putting the shower where those double doors are makes sense to me. I agree with michee627 that the doorways seem to be taking up space. As I stated before, I would try to incorporate a pocket door with the one that will become the storage area where the washer/dryer will be (as I understand it). It's not always possible to do that, but sometimes-- and it can make a big difference. Then there's the door to the garage. Other than the door into the room itself, are there other interior doors? If there are, and one just happens to be a closet-- once again, I would open that up into an open bookcase/shelving type thing-- floor to ceiling.

I guess I'm not sure what you don't like about the layout as suggested. Other than addressing the door situation--- and I assume the washer/dryer is going in that separate storage room-- and the double doors will be removed for the shower-- that would seem to open up the space quite a lot.

For flooring, I would find a great looking affordable (and there are plenty) rectified porcelain. I, too, am a fan of subway tile for the shower walls.

Not much help, but I actually don't see a big problem with the layout -- but maybe I'm not understanding it.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:16PM
baggie2
The area from where it shows "10" to the bottom of the page is the current storage room and will just be one large room with only the washer and dryer until we live with it for a while. We will be replacing a window in that room with...oh, no!...a door to the outside which will actually make the storage room into a utility/mud room.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:22PM
baggie2
Diana, I think it's probably just me. Dragging my feet while visions of other remodel rattle in my head, just the thought of the inconvenience makes me want a to chug Dramamine.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:26PM
dianahb
Just one question-- and this may sound crazy--- but is it just a given that the washer and dryer have to be in the same area as this new bathroom? Just a thought that if you moved them someplace else, you might really be able to open up the space and make better use of that entire space. Our washer and dryer are upstairs in the hallway (off the bedroom). When we first moved here, I thought the placement was a little strange. But they're behind doors, and I love it. I love having them just off the bedrooms. It's so perfect. So-- anyway-- that's my thought just to confuse matters. But they seem to be the issue, to my eye.

Oh-- yes-- I know what you mean. We still don't have a door (well, we have a door-- it's just leaning against the dining room wall right now and not doing us much good), and the o-ring had to be ordered direct from Kohler-- and the plumber I think has had a nervous breakdown (or something close to that). I'm so glad this is the last bathroom I'll ever do. I think. It's exhausting. At least with a room just off your garage, people won't be traipsing all through your house again.
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:29PM
michee627
so I'm going to have to print out the layout and make notes I think... or get my glasses. I'm still in denial. I would say this - if your instinct is to question the layout, spend the time to work it out. Also, I have had both an unbelievably small house where I put the W/D in a cabinet in the "kitchen" technically (actually I stole the mud room into the kitchen and then hid the w/d... all the way to putting one in it's own room in a larger house. I would say that you don't need a big space for a w/d room - who wants to hang out in there anyway. It's not like you have room to really hang etc clothes in there anyway. I'd combine your storage and w/d rooms into one space and make it nice for both. Then I'd make your bath bigger because really - can a bath be too big? :) The plumbing makes sense to keep them back to back so I'd save there and not get crazy with the cost. Take out that wall between the w/d and storage and all of a sudden you have spectacular space. Of course - I'm not a designer and I need to take notes on your layout so please ignore all silly suggestions!! :) Oh- and tile wise I'll certainly take pics. In fact I'll take the downstairs bath now but it is marble and a bit more costly but you could get a similar effect with tile...
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:48PM
michee627
This floor is actually marble and we just got new mirrors. Also the baby potty is not a decorating thing but just wishful thinking on my part
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:53PM
michee627
oh - and you can sort of see the subway deal I did upstairs in my posting about that stupid window I have but I don't think the pics captured the floor so I'll take some better ones later
    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:54PM
baggie2
Well, I'm back from my little mental vacation on the new bathroom. We don't have any space anywhere else for the washer/dryer, but I do think close to bedrooms is the best location. We have finalized the layout and it is like the plan. I spent this A.M. Looking at flooring and tiles. We have 60 sq ft of the subway tile left from other bathroom. I have no idea why so much extra was ordered, but I will be using it in the new shower since our decorator would not take it back. So...white subway tile on shower walls, and since we had too many 6 x 6 white tiles ordered we will be using those on the shower ceiling.
Diana, I didn't bring home any of your cute penny round samples, but I really like that look. I think the shower and bathroom and little hall should all have the same flooring, but not sure what it should be. The only abutment is the red oak flooring in the dinette, but that seems to be quite a sticking point for me. I really like gray tones, but I don't think they look right with the wood. I brought home a porcelain tile that looks like wood planks, but think they don't match well enough. Michee, I like to have a utility room since I suffer from the Donna Reed complex and need a dedicated room for laundry chores. I am looking for an attractive utility sink that could double as the bathroom sink. Koehler made a small one, but I guess it has been discontinued. I believe I have a maximum space of about 24-28 inches for the basin. Suggestions?
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:40AM
baggie2
What do people think of the pebble style flooring. Does it clean easily? Do you think it is trendy? I am thinking of using the "level pebble" style in a shower and small bathroom with white subway tile on the walls.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:33PM
dianahb
hey baggie2! I thought you'd given up. I've been sitting here waiting patiently for your return. ;)

First off, I cannot tell you how much I LOVE those penny rounds, and they feel good on my feet, too. I got those through the Tile Shop. We have one a few miles from us, but you can find them online. The particular color they had, that I got, is just not found anyplace else (that I could find)-- and I really like it-- sort of a blue/gray. I'll find the link for you.

I will also tell you that just outside our bathroom, where the penny rounds are, the floor that butts up to that is red oak flooring. I even had them put in a red oak threshold that runs right into those pale blue/gray penny rounds (rather than some generic marble threshold). It looks fine. And we have those 2 pedestal sinks outside the bathroom, and they sit on top of blue/grey marble-- the rest of the floor there is red oak-- so that blue/gray marble runs right up against the red oak. Sounds odd, but it was done for a number of reasons-- but now looks like a deliberate plan, and I can't tell you how pleased I am with it. Everyone mentions how good the red oak looks butting right up against that marble. So-- for me-- I see no problem with that at all. If you like, I can take a picture for you so you can see what that looks like. You may decide-- yes-- I was right all along-- Diana's bathroom choices were utterly horrific-- but at least you'll be able to see it. I've got no problem with tile butting up against a a great looking hardwood floor.

With regard to the sink-- I guess you want a stand-alone sink? If not, a farmhouse sink would be perfect for that, wouldn't it? It's deep, like a utility sink, but looks good and is fine for a regular sink. ?? I know Home Depot has some nice ones. And maybe there are stand-alone farmhouse sinks. Overstock has one that's less than 24 inches-- but you'll need a cabinet for it. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fireclay-Butler-23.25-inch-White-Farmhouse-Kitchen-Sink/6467220/product.html

As far as the pebble style flooring-- I don't mind the flat ones, but my local tile store had the more rounded ones down in the showroom, and I walked on it barefoot, and I thought I'd die. They really hurt. I like the flat ones, though. As far as trendy . . . when I think of pebble flooring, I think of the last 10 years. When I think of subway tile or penny rounds or hex tile, I think timeless. That's just me.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:25PM
baggie2
Diana,

Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing about the stone floor..trendy. I will take a look at the penny rounds, and would really like to see your bathroom floor against the red oak.
I found a piece of hardwood that nearly matches my kitchen/dinette red oak, but it doesn't come in 5" width. Our new contractor, a.k.a. Chad, has a flooring and tile store he likes to use, but if they don't have what I want I will insist we go elsewhere. (I'm learning to put my foot down and make some demands. BTW, did you get your o ring installed. Hope that question is not too personal. Looking forward to your pictures and resource guide! Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:15PM
dianahb
Haha. Very funny (and not TOO personal). The never-ending o-ring saga. Yes! My plumber who had done one bathroom and had done all but about 1-1/2 hours worth of work in this latest bathroom-- he just flaked out on me. He does stellar work, but he just went bonkers there at the end. The tiler and I (we sound like we're in cahoots) think he might have had a nervous breakdown, or been on the verge of one. Very very strange. I really do like to think that it's not me who is putting these workmen in the hospital (which happened with a sheet-rocker) or driving them to drink-- but when this stuff keeps happening on my watch, I don't know. I have my doubts. Anyway-- got another line on a terrific plumber who works only on old houses, and only within about a 3 mile radius of his house. Lucky me, he doesn't live that far away. This plumber, though quite picky about where he works, managed to get over here and determine that the previous plumber had just about shredded the o-rings when installing the thing to which the o-rings are attached. Complicated stuff. We had a very long talk about it. I am now an expert on o-rings. But Kohler manufactures their own o-rings that no one else in the world seems to have-- so I had to call them, and they were happy to supply me with new ones. So I have to give a big shout-out to Kohler-- they are absolutely top-notch when it comes to customer service. It's not the first time I've had to call them about something, and they are amazing. I love love love Kohler (and their bold look).

Okay-- so I took some pictures, but let me transfer them to my laptop to make them small jpgs and then I'll upload them. Before I do that, I will say that if your red oak is like my red oak, that is such a warm color/look. And I feel that the gray/blue is so so cool (in color and look) that I really think they complement each other. In fact, when the drop cloths finally came up, and I cleaned the hardwoods and also put in a free-standing wood cabinet-- the painter had to come by for something, and he really liked the way the wood looked against the blue/gray. He said it really warmed things up, and I think that's true. That blue/gray needs some warmth, so the red oak really works to do that.

Anyway, I'll be back in a minute. Chad sounds like a doll. ;)
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:08PM
dianahb
Okay; so I tried to take some pictures that showed up the floor against the tile. Hope that helps. A few of these were taken before the threshold went in, and molding and/or painting-- so pay no attention to that. I just think this might give you an overview of what red oak looks like up against all that blue/gray tile.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:34PM
dianahb
Also, those penny rounds are called "moss," though they're blue/gray without a hint of green-- but from the Tile Shop-- very affordable, and when I bought them they had a 20% off sale. They have other colors as well, one of which is a creamy color called "milk," which is really nice. But you really have to see them in person, or order samples, because online they don't translate well. http://www.tileshop.com/search/index.aspx?q=penny%20rounds
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 5:44PM
baggie2
Diana,

Wonderfully gorgeous bathroom! You are right that the marble looks great with the red oak. BTW, your oak floor looks great. What do you have on it that gives it such a shine? I am sorry about the plumber. He may have been done in by the o ring saga. Hope he is OK. I will go look for your penny rounds, and know from experience that items must be seen in your own environment. I bought my shower fixtures for the other bathroom by seeing them in the showroom. They did't have a sample of the finish for me to take home, but a friend who was with me a couple of times agreed that the fixtures had a beautiful gold tone look. When they arrived at our house they were a definite copper color and totally wrong. When I called the store they said they use halogen lighting which changes the colors! Then they told me there would be a restocking fee, but she wouldn't say how much. On a scale of 1-5, the fee was $$$$$! I had to exchange them since,although the workers loved them, they looked awful in my bathroom and the only thing they matched in my house is an old copper coffee set my mother had. : ) Learning new things everyday! I have not had any dealings with Koehler, but we have chosen to use their products in our house, in spite of the warnings from EVERY contractor, that American Standard is better. Not sure what goes with the contractors, but we have had no problems with the Koehler products and their styles are head and shoulders more creative and more attractive than other brands..at least for my style. Happy bathroom renovations to you...and to me! I'll look forward to your expertise and hope you will not have to do an intervention with Chad.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 7:20PM
dianahb
Thanks so much. You know, we live in a house built in 1927, but an addition was put on about 30 years ago (not by us). So we've basically spent the last 20 years rebuilding, bit by bit, this addition to correct all the things that were done wrong, but also to make it flow better with the old part of the house. So 20 years ago, when we moved in, the addition floors were covered in carpet-- so we had all that removed and had the oak floors installed, to match what was in the old part. We had the old floors refinished at the same time. We put only a clear coat polyurethane on it at the time and have done nothing since. It amazes me sometimes, too. The floors throughout look that good, and we've had three dogs during that time, too. We don't wear shoes in the house much; maybe that helps. But I use that Bona cleaner and the Bona polish-- though I polish only every once in a while (or, as my dear husband likes to say -- when he sees me suddenly cleaning-- "Oh, you're cleaning. It must be the spring equinox.")

Anyway-- I'll be happy to do an intervention with Chad, whenever you need that. Long story-- but I had a big run-in with Fed-ex over not wanting to refund a claim I'd filed ($600) on a part (for this bathroom) I'd returned. It was damaged in transit, and the retailer would not refund us. I'd insured it on its return trip, and then this multi-million (billion??) dollar company refused to refund a claim for $600? After weeks and weeks-- I finally called the head office and spoke to someone there and gave them a little piece of my mind. Within 4 days, we got the check-- a full refund.

Another reason to love Kohler. I, too, think their products are exceptional, and nobody can hold a candle to their customer service. I was told by my plumber that Kohler has this huge multi-billion dollar facility in Kohler, Wisconsin-- where, he says, they make everything (nothing made in China, according to him). That was news to me, but glad to hear it. I was also told (by a different plumber) that American Standard is not what it used to be. I really don't know, because no one seems to beat Kohler in the design and quality department, in my experience. I think there are a few others, based on what I see in our local showroom, but they're totally out of our price range.

Okay; so keep us posted. I could talk (write) all day about bathroom renovations. :) But check out farmhouse sinks. That would seem to be the thing-- doing double duty for what you need. ??
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:54PM
baggie2
Diana, thanks for the help. Do your penny rounds have a sheen? The only samples the carpet/flooring store has are a very flat finish, and they actually didn't have any samples of the round shape. I prefer the more glossy, and yours look like it has a little sheen. I know the floor cannot be too glossy or it will be slippery. The Tile Store pictures don't show well enough to determine the gloss, but the black clearly states "matte black". I am picking your brain for it's glossy info. Forget, for a moment, that o rings exist and have been the bane of your bathroom. : ). Your home sounds lovely, and it's good to know you care about preservation.
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:41PM
michee627
penny round - search on home depot for penny round. good $$ on merola. I'm actually using the one with the black flower in the center for my new bath remodel. I used the merola spiral in my other bath and in my laundry. You can also get the base and white subway - and black subways there, although my tile guy said that he could get it even cheaper so if you have a tile guy you might check with him first. I'm an amex points girl and used my points for home depot cards and got it all for free :) an avenue worth checking into if you are a points card person.
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:56PM
michee627
mudsink... mine was an over-order extra and was therefore the right price. If I were going to do it again, I'd go for the kohler sudbury. Also, I did my laundry in the same black/white theme and used brushed black granite for the top. It is really easy to find as a remnant and since it isn't shiny you don't have the spotting that you have with the really dark shiny surfaces. I did black cove base tiles, spiral merola, in there and also in the bathroom (which is down the hall). Basic white cabinets for storage and ... easy but inexpensive and in keeping with the age of the house.
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:03PM
baggie2
Michele, your rooms sound wonderful, and well thought out! I have shiny dark granite on on my kitchen counters, and they show every little water spot...not so much crumbs, or the black ants that invaded. I read some horror stories about installation of the penny rounds, but you and Diana, apparently, did not have a problem. We no longer have a Home Depot in our town, but it would be worthwhile to travel the hour to the closest one. I do love to shop....even at hardware stores. I have found some nice penny rounds online, but will heed Diana's admonition to not judge Internet colors. Well, I'm off to Home Depot...online today. Thanks again, my comrades in renovations! Would like to see pictures!
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:46PM
dianahb
Hey-- sorry-- I saw your post earlier, but then the (replacement) plumber showed up to do something important. Of course, whenever a plumber shows up, it's to do something important, right?

So-- yes-- the penny rounds I have do indeed have a sheen to them, which is one reason I liked them. I did not like any matte ones that I saw-- anywhere. One of the reasons I liked these is because they really look hand-enameled to me. The color almost bleeds a deeper hue into the edges (but not consistently with each one), and the very edges are copper-like. They're really beautiful-- and I looked a lot of places, even ordering some samples from Ann Sacks (which were more than twice the price). Anyway-- yes-- they have a shine. There's not a problem with slipping, because the grout lines are so much wider. I had picked a darker grout, but my tiler didn't think I'd like it-- so we used a lighter one called "natural gray" that is the Tile Shop's own grout. They didn't sell an unsanded one for the walls, so I had to get a separate one, made by Mapai (I think), called "limestone," which is essentially the same color as that "natural gray" the Tile Shop makes. But anyway-- I think darker would have been fine, too-- depends on the look you want.

About the penny round installation horror stories . . . I will have to say, there was a whole lotta cussin' and carrying on when those penny rounds were being installed. My tiler is THE MAN when it comes to tile work. He is spectacular. He did work for us 25 years ago, in another house, and has done all the work in this house. The stuff he has done for us and others-- and what he is able to do-- is really impressive-- but he griped incessantly about those penny rounds. He did a great job, but they are tricky (I gather). I know the couple on 'Young House Love' (online blog) did a whole tutorial on penny rounds and, in fact, they used the same kind as I used from the Tile Shop. They did a kitchen backsplash and made it look super easy. It is not, though. But their tutorial is worth watching.

Anyway, I think the installation is tricky, so you need a tiler who knows his stuff. Also, with regard to slipperiness-- my tiler won't put anything down that's going to be slippery, unless his client insists-- and when they do, he makes them sign some waiver. :) No, seriously. But he had no problems with the penny rounds, even they they have a gloss, because of the wider grout lines.

Also-- I don't know if my email is listed here or not, but if you like I can easily mail you a sheet of those penny rounds in a padded envelope. I had several sheets left over. Happy to do it if you don't have a Tile Shop near you. Just let me know.
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:37PM
baggie2
Thanks, Diana. Although we don 't have a Tile Store here, there is one a couple hours away very close to a wonderful shopping mall. I have a good friend who would love to go both mall shopping and tile shopping, so I think I have the opportunity to see the penny rounds in person! I think the moss is the one I would select if you won't be offended and think that just because Diana Jones has that penny round I had to have it also. I will need to check with Chad about his tiler, and see if Chad might need to go with me to the Tile Store. I probably could also order a sample, but the trip would not be a big deal. You said there is a wide grout. Did your tiler use the grout that is stain and mildew resistant? Thank you for the offer of a sample, but I will try to visit the store. It looks like they have a lot of neat things. More later, and hope your plumbing problems are nearly over.
    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 6:03PM
dianahb
Hey baggie2: I did not use a specific grout that's stain and mildew resistant (on this bathroom). I did get talked into it for my other bathroom. When you're spending money for tile, who is paying attention to how much grout costs? So the woman at the tile store I used (not The Tile Shop)-- said to me, "Okay, so do you want to buy the grout that is stain- mildew- mold- dirt- and plague- resistant?" What was I going to say? "No, no; I'll have the other, please?" So I bought it; my tiler had a hell of a time with it (dries too fast), and it cost-- brace yourself-- $50 a bag. Typical grout costs about $12 a bag. And it was also sandy, like gravel (not fine sand). I hated it. My tiler hated it and yelled at me, and he loudly grumbled throughout the entire application. Seriously, if he wasn't so damn good-looking and charming, and so good at what he does, I would have given up on him long ago.

So on this bathroom, I got the $13 bag of grout and some stuff he uses to add to the grout mixture. Much less expensive and works so much better. And whatever he adds to the mix is also plague-resistant.

In answer to your question, do NOT get the grout that is all-bad-things-resistant, because it's not worth it.

No; I don't mind at all that baggie2 has to be like Diana Jones next door. :) haha. No-- really-- I LOVE these penny rounds, and I think when you see them, you will too. I agonized over them for so long, and now I have no idea why.

The Tile Shop is definitely worth a trip. It's a wonderland. At the one here, they tend to hire young, good-looking, physically fit men who know absolutely nothing about tile and who seem to have extraordinarily bad taste. Don't know if that's a nation-wide trend, or just something specific to this area. So, fair warning. Better take Chad with you. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 6:35PM
michee627
full disclosure - so far I did the spiral and haven't put the penny round in - that project is in process. the merola is on a net backing so I can't imagine it is worse than the other mosaics but time will tell. home depot will ship it to you, so in town isn't needed although it might be more scary sight unseen. let me know if you want a sample - I'm pretty sure I have more than needed so could send you a penny :) My spiral was merola too. It is closer to matte than gloss but I like that look. Water spots on glossy black can definitely be a challenge - I trained my girls to mop up in the bathroom and it hasn't been bad but my black is marble and has enough movement in it that it shows spots less. a matte or brushed finish on the black eliminates that issue pretty much entirely, which is why I went that way in the laundry.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 5:25PM
baggie2
Diana! The moss sample arrived today...wow!wow!wow! It is gorgeous! I wish I had seen it before I did the other bathroom. I would even like to have a necklace made from the rounds, even if it would be a little heavy. Thank you so much! Pictures do not do it justice ( no it's not your photography). I think I have found a wood flooring that nearly matches my kitchen/dinette flooring which meets what will be a hallway.
I know you are an experienced juror, but we prefer to avoid that venue this time so I will be sending all my selection info to Chad via email to ensure that we have a written record. My husband was so traumatized by the legal problem before that he refuses to speak to any flooring people even on the phone.
Michee, I appreciate your help with the utility sink and will be looking at the Sudbury by Koehler. My problem is the small space I have. I have considered a vintage piece since there is an Architectural Artifacts location about a hour away. Their prices seem rather high, however. I beginning to get excited about this project. Will keep you posted and keep the suggestions coming! I have posted a Spring photo which is in keeping with my renewed optimism.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 1:59PM
dianahb
Hey baggie2: LOVE the spring photo! Is that in your yard? It's gorgeous!

I am so glad you think the moss penny rounds are as beautiful as I do. I sometimes worry when I go and on about something to someone, and then he or she sees that thing with which I'm totally obsessed-- and think, "Holey Moley. What is wrong with her? Yikes."

On film (digital), they really are difficult to capture what's so special about them. I looked for a long time and didn't see any that really appealed to me-- but, honestly, as I said before-- these look handmade to me-- or, hand-enameled, mainly because they are not factory-consistent. And I really love that about them-- that and the shine. I also love that the blue bleeds into a deeper blue at the edges, meeting up with that copper/bronze. I'm so happy you like them. I agree-- they just look like little jewels. I cannot tell you how many people have commented on these and think I spent a fortune on them (and assume the tiler had to lay them down, one by one. ??). They're pretty inexpensive, and when I bought them, there was an online 20% off sale, on top of their already low price. So watch out for that, because it may come up again.

Anyway-- yes-- it gets exciting when you can see it all kind of coming together. I'm helping a friend now, who is getting ready to re-do her bathroom. And she had these sort of square penny rounds-- though square-- so are they called penny squares? Who knows. But it didn't go with anything else she was using, so she had already chosen the Tile Shop's "milk" subway tile, and I know they have the milk penny rounds, which I liked a lot, too-- so I think she's going to use those. I feel like I'm converting people to penny rounds, one penny (or bathroom) at a time. :)

Weird that they're called "moss," don't you think?

Keep us posted.

Oh. Written documentation is good. :)
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 4:10PM
michee627
dianahb - the tile shop as in www.tileshop.com/?
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:27PM
dianahb
Yes-- that's the one. http://www.tileshop.com/product/productdetail.aspx?familyID=1310&recordID=5037671 They show the moss penny round here, but online it looks nothing like what it looks like in real life. I did not use the desert sand grout they feature with this. I used their "natural gray."
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:36PM
baggie2
Yes, the Magnolia tree is in our yard, and we celebrate its beauty each Spring. The sad thing is that those beautiful blossoms are set in the fall, survive the winter, but only bloom for about a week, if we're lucky. It is wonderful to mow under that tree with the blossoms on the ground as well as the tree. It is fragrant, but not so overwhelming as our Lilacs or the Linden.

Michee, I ordered my sample from The Tile Shop.com which is what Diana recommended. It arrived in a huge, well-packed box which is what I would expect of a beautiful piece of art. I am shocked at the price. As Diana said, they look like each one has been done by hand and the metal band that surrounds each tile just adds to the dimension and unusual look. I do think your black and white look is so timeless and clean looking. I like the charcoal look in the cupboards and vanities and think it seems to be replacing beige..almond....cream...etc.
Our construction is to begin June 1, and I am getting ready. Just don't know what to do with all the "stuff" in the Utility room closet. I am not looking forward to that chore since I'm not certain what may be lurking in the hidden recesses. Maybe I'll find something worthwhile.
    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:53PM
baggie2
Michele and Diana..just a quick update. Our contractor said he is certain the tiler can install the penny rounds, and will be here yesterday to measure. No, not a verb tense....he didn't show up. They are starting a large, exclusive, housing development so they may have been doing the concrete work since our weather has been wonderful. Picture attached shows that Dilly is not as concerned as I am. : ).
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:50AM
michee627
welcome to home remodeling :)
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:57AM
dianahb
haha. That is so sweet and seems so familiar. That's exactly what I do when the tiler, plumber, electrician, etc don't show up. May as well just chill. I love that "will be here yesterday." (Another potential book title . . . ). I know you'll love them when they do go in.

By the way, I think Dilly needs a slightly thicker coat. Seriously. Can it be any thicker??
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 12:25PM
baggie2
Dilly is always willing to share her wooly coat, mostly when one is wearing dark colors. She loves dark clothing.
We may have to either write several books, or have a very long title!
Michee, apologies for the name....again. My auto Phil must be in love with Michelle. : )
    Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:05PM
baggie2
Diana,

Chad would like to know the color of gray grouting you used. He contacted The Tile Store and they said there are several shades. It turns out that they have opened a new store only about an hour from us so I may take a trip just to see it. Chad was impressed with their customer service, even over the phone. They are now talking about starting May 20, but we want to be certain everything is ready, I don't want any escutcheon or oh rings problems. : ). Thanks!
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:10AM
dianahb
Oh, that Chad! Well, I used the tlle shop's sanded natural gray, which really meshes with the color of the penny rounds. I went back and doth and thought I would have liked a dark gout just as well. But I really like this as the grout doesn't compete with the tile. It really looks good. And the sanded grout is very fine, which I like. It's hard to tell it's sanded. Good luck!!
    Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:37AM
michee627
keep us posted - can't wait to see how it turns out. And Michelle works just fine (aka accurate) but is not very original for a name - your auto correct is doing pretty well!! Wiggling and Waggling on my own tile choices - can't wait to see how yours turns out
    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:35PM
baggie2
What are your tile choices? Chad was planning to start next Monday, but the carpet and flooring dealer can't even seem to get a sample for me! I have waited 2 weeks now, just for a single piece of the wood flooring in a 5" width. Chad promised that no construction would start until everything was ready to be installed. I know he has been letting the flooring dealer know that we are waiting for them. He made them come and measure even though they said they "usually" don't do anything until the room is down to the studs. They took my tile sample to show their installer, and I miss that little item. I like it so much that it was a comfort just to look at it. Sounds a little silly, but we went through so much with the other bathroom. Hope you are doing well, andI'm happy that my Ipad is so tuned into things!
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:48AM
michee627
I have a discussion I started on my bathroom project http://www.houzz.com/discussions/440639/Bathroom-window-encroaching-in-tub-space... Check it out!
    Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 6:20PM
baggie2
Ok, it has started....or should I say, stopped. The flooring people had the sample last Thursday, but then again, oops. No sample. Chad called today and we agreed that since NOTHING has been ordered, the start date will not be Monday.
Now the flooring people are saying the style and color of hardwood may not be available in the 3/4" thickness I want, but they will "check on it". I turned over my penny round sample to them so their tiler could see about the installation. However, I spoke with the flooring lady today about the hardwood and she said she finally (sigh) found the manufacturer of the penny round flooring and she needs to verify that it is suitable for flooring. I said if Diana Jones used it in her floor, then i can darn well use it on mine! She will also check on her pricing for it. I just wish she would take care of the wood flooring since we know where we can find the moss penny round. How do these people stay in business!?? I am really frustrated, as you can see. This project is not starting out well. Even my pedicure today has not calmed my nerves. At least my toes are in the pink!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:07PM
dianahb
Oh my gosh. For some unknown reason, I was "opted out of notifications for this discussion." I found your most recent post here, because I hadn't heard from you, so I wanted to see what was happening. I've opted myself back in now, though I know I never opted myself out.

Anyway . . . your experience is so annoying and frustrating, yet so predictable. I have to wonder, too, how any of these people stay in business. My only recurring thought is that the economy is picking up (the good news, I guess). Once again, we needed to be doing this somewhere in late 2008, early 2009.

Anyway- I'm not sure what she means about verifying if the penny rounds are "suitable for flooring." I don't even know what that means. They're porcelain penny rounds. If you can't put them on the bathroom floor, then where can you put them? Back-splashes, I guess. But they're porcelain, and it's not like they're going on the driveway. My tiler got the floor super level and flat-- and then he puts down some sort of membrane initially so that no water can ever get through-- even if a tsunami goes through there. The Tile Shop did suggest that people not walk in there with stilettos-- so, you know, that was super annoying to hear, because-- honestly-- that's all I wear. It's been a struggle, because I've never walked into a bathroom in my house without my stilettos on, but I got used to it. Life is so hard sometimes.

Why does she need to know the manufacturer of the penny rounds? The Tile Shop is the manufacturer, no? Typically, your tiler would get a 15 to 20% discount. My tiler always passes along that discount to me, but not all do. He did not get the penny rounds for me, though, because they had a 20% off sale, on line, so I just got it that way. I'd like to say this is why I don't go through contractors and sub-contractors, and do everything myself. But doing that isn't perfect, either. One thing I have learned is to never ever ever ever write a final check to anyone, until everything is done-- right down to the punch list. That's where I've made my mistake in the past.

At least you had time for a pedicure. We just got back from a trip to the beautiful Oregon coast. I've never been there before. Oh my. What a gorgeous green lush state. If we hadn't had these penny rounds to come home to, we might have stayed. Incredibly beautiful.

I hope things improve. Now that I'm "opted in," I'm here for the long haul, so keep us posted!
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:47PM
baggie2
Diana &Michee, so sorry about the delay in responding to this discussion, and more distressing is that I am really sorry about THE delay. No, the bathroom is not yet started! The carpet/flooring/tile store got the wrong color sample of the wood flooring, then requested another, then told me there would be an 8!!! week (weak?) wait to get the 3/4" 5" wide flooring. Now it looks like we will be settling for the engineered flooring and they will have to add to the subfloor for the proper height. Note 2: my husband and I took a trip to the closest Tile Shop (only about an hour away) today and the staff was great! Only....the moss penny rounds are back ordered and our contractor has not yet ordered them. They won't be available until mid July, but at the pace we are moving that could be well in advance of our need. : ). We are considering the hex shape in the same color, but will need to see the time schedule, if, indeed, one exists. I have decided on the Kohler Bayview utility sink and cute wooden stand. The Kohler burnished bronze fixtures look great with the moss, but I haven't found a faucet and tap I like for the sink in that color. I like the style with the high, swivel faucet and middle soap holder. Wonderfully retro! Also, the flooring/tile store now tells us that they are unable to get anymore of the Florida Tile subway that matches the 7 boxes we already have left from the other bathroom. I guess it's no longer being made so they want us to buy all new from them. We have informed Chad that we may want to reduce the shower size, but have not heard back. Really frustrated, especially since we paid him 50% on May 22! I also decided to use the Dove Gray grouting. I guess it's baby steps time ... I really wish I had decided to be my own contractor, but the husband wanted everything handled by Chad so my hands are tied..but not my brain or tongue! Hope I will soon have pictures and enthusiastic updates. Fingers crossed!
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 2:48PM
dianahb
Hey baggie2: I wondered what happened to you, but I figured you were in the midst of all kinds of work going on. How disappointing (and familiar) your story sounds. Being your own contractor is equally problematic and frustrating.

Did you think about ordering those moss penny rounds online? You may have better luck. http://www.tileshop.com/search/index.aspx?q=moss+penny+rounds I have a whole box here, but that covers only 33 square feet. Not sure how much you need. But if that box would help you, just let me know.

If you have 7 left-over boxes of the Florida subway tile, I would really try to use it. Is there any way you can bring in another tile that wouldn't look busy-- or, alternatively, as you suggest-- just reduce the shower size, or the way you arrange the tile around the shower. That's pretty annoying; I wouldn't want to buy any new, either.

At least you got the sink and the fixtures you want. And if it makes you feel any better, I could sure tell you some stories . . . Suffice to say that we only just now finished the painting of the door and molding (which went in last)-- emphasis on "we." The oh-so-reliable painter never did return for that last bit. The tiler fit in the last bits of base molding after the door went in, but he never came back to grout. We finally did that, too. The good news is, I have now taken several baths in that amazing bathtub, and it is just as incredible as I had envisioned-- despite the fact that it took 5 months to get there.

Thanks for the update. Oh. And I'd probably give Chad about two more days for an even two weeks-- then if I still hadn't heard from him, he'd definitely hear from me. ;)
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 6:25PM
baggie2
Diana, it's good to hear that you are, once again, able to bathe.
: ), and that you can get into that glorious tub. I just had to laugh when you said "we" did he painting...and the final grouting. At least you know you are quite capable! I may try to order the tiles online, but need to know Fromm Chad how much we need. I agree that we should be able to find some way to use our already purchased subway tiles. Chad said they could "just pitch them" for us. They were not cheap tiles and I do like them, so in addition to reducing the size of the shower, I may use a strip of penny tiles in the shower. Our daughter started a bathroom remodel ( 2 ) TWO! Weeks ago and they are expected to be finished in about another week. Too bad she (and her contractor) live three hours away. I told her not to call me with any "come and see our wonderful, fully finished bathroom". : ). I have ordered sheers for our living room and dining room and like the decorator's ideas for our bedroom window treatments, but since I have not had the best results with contractors, I will wait until the sheers are made and installed. I am getting rid of those pesky Roman shades that I thought wold be beautiful. I like the look, but they were a bother to raise and lower, and were UGLY when they were down. I think even the dogs are appalled by the way they look.
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 7:46PM
baggie2
Sorry about the typos by this ipad and it went ahead and sent my comment before I was completely finished. I hate it when the ipad takes control. I would love to see a finished bathroom, so please post pictures! Hooray for you!
    Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 7:49PM
dianahb
I also forgot to add that I would not have the contractor "pitch" those subway tiles. They will not "pitch" them; rather, they'll sell them or use them in some other project. I did think about using the penny tiles on the wainscoting, but used glass liner instead-- but I think you could use the penny rounds as an accent in the shower-- I think that would look great and go fine with the subway tile.

Dogs can be so judgmental when it comes to window treatments. :)
    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 6:54AM
dianahb
By the way, if you are ever on One King's Lane, check out their site today where they have a lot of penny rounds and other tiles on sale: https://www.onekingslane.com/
    Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 9:51AM
baggie2
Diana, I finally spoke with Chad and I think the only other decision I have is the fixtures! Hooray. I have sent him emails detailing everything I selected so there won't be any confusion. (I have learned a few things from my dealings with contractors). We are reducing the size of the shower, so I hope the subways we already have will be sufficient. If not, I will probably take your suggestion and use the penny rounds as accents in the shower. I am going to use a curtain instead of glass since it will be easier to bathe the dogs. I can just stay outside the shower instead of getting in with them and closing a door. : ). We looked like a circus act, and I was the clown. Still don't have a start date, but it won't begin until everything is in....holding firm on that even though I am getting anxious. What is your next project?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:32PM
dianahb
Hey baggie2. Congratulations! It sounds like Chad is not so bad (and his name is so easy to rhyme, and depending on his behavior, this could become a thing (cad, bad, rad . . . ).

I am probably in the minority when I say I actually like shower curtains. I think they can be kind of elegant (hung from those tracks in the ceiling-- and using some long elegant linen curtain). I don't know-- they always seem less trouble and work to me than glass. If I could have that glass with no seams, no nothing, I'd do it- but, apparently, that takes a special bathroom or special tub or special floor, or special something.

Anyway-- I always say we look like the Clampetts no matter what we do, so a 'circus act' sounds somewhat more refined and at least requires some skill. ;)

I need to put some artwork in my bathroom. I have it-- just need to put it in there. And then I really really want (and we need) to change out our kitchen sink and faucets. I'd love a farmhouse sink, which also requires the perfect cabinetry. But we have limestone on our countertops and backsplash. I'd love to keep the pristine backsplash but replace the countertops, if do-able. I personally love porcelain, but I also like seamless. Not sure. I just don't think the engineered stuff would look very good butted up next to limestone. But I have seen some porcelains I think are beautiful, and given the probably 20 sq feet (that's all) we have to cover, it doesn't seem like a very big deal . . . I happen to love the Walker Zanger porcelain limestone look-alikes, but we'll see. The thought of bringing someone else in, even for something relatively minor like this, makes my stomach churn.

Keep us updated!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:26AM
baggie2
Thanks for the encouragement! Your kitchen sounds lovely, and I also love the farmhouse sinks. We have stainless steel and it really shows the scratches. Wish I had gone with the old standby porcelain which cleans so well. We put granite on our countertops and also used it for the backsplash. I like the uniform look since there seems to be a lot going on in the kitchen....no cooking, however. : ). My kitchen faucet is a Franke Orient Express- one handle- and I love it. I think it has been discontinued, but what hasn't? It might not be a good style for a farmhouse sink, but I am happy with the function of this Franke product. Chad said not to look at the home stores for faucets. He said they may be a name brand, but the quality is not usually top of the line. Also wondering about the shower rod. I am thinking the traditional straight rod instead of the curve style. I think a curtain would hang better on a straight one. Hope to report a start date soon! I'll stop now and let you hang your artwork. How about a finished photo?
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:17PM
dianahb
Hey baggie@: I'll take some pics when I get a chance-- well, after the artwork goes up. Not much really has changed since the last pics-- except everything is painted now, and all towel holders, etc are up. I cannot tell you how much I love it. I feel like I'm at a spa every time I walk in there. It's about time. ;) And I LOVE LOVE LOVE those penny rounds!! I don't know why I was ever worried.

About those shower curtains, try this company Trax (if you want something from the ceiling)-- a simple track that can be painted the color of the ceiling-- very inconspicuous-- but then a longer than average curtain will be needed, but you can pick out your own fabric. But those normal rods that curve or bow out-- the only ones I've seen don't seem anchored all that well. I suspect it's too much of a bow without a center support. Something about the curve makes them a bit unstable. Admittedly, I've only ever seen them in hotels, but every one I've seen is wobbly and loose and not anchored solidly. I have to blame either the curved rod (or the quality of hotel we tend to frequent. :) I do think the curtain hangs better and is more solid with a straight one, though.

I also LOVE those one-handle goose-neck faucets. I have one of those in my studio -- it turns all the way around (like that girl's neck in The Omen)-- and so much nicer than what we have in our damn kitchen. I really like those. I'll check out the Franke Orient Express, too. Love the name. For our bathrooms, we did end up going to a plumbing showroom here for faucets. I think the totally rad Chad is correct on that one. (It will be never-ending now with the rhymes.)

I know you must be excited to have all this in place and ready to go. What was the final word on the penny rounds? Don't tell me if someone said they're not good for floors! ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 3:25PM
dianahb
Oh. I forgot. I meant to add this-- because it's so hilarious. Have you ever seen the Swedish movie, 'Melancholia?' It came out in 2011, I think. I just saw it, via Netflix. It is so good-- well, the best movie I've seen in so so long. A bit weird and, well, Swedish-- but the cinematography is incredible, and I just loved the story-- but there is a very funny throw-away line in there that Keifer Sutherland utters about women soaking in baths. So funny. You have to rent it. The movie is not funny at all-- but that line is so suited to these bath or tub threads!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 3:28PM
michee627
hey - faucets... check out Belle Foret faucets. I used them in a number of places and they have styles that are really nice for that farmhouse - 1900's look (imho). free advice from a non designer. I have a curved rod in one of my baths and love it (perfectly stable). Also love the to the ceiling curtains and think I'm actually going to do that with the curved rod in the one under construction. I'll probably just make the curtain... you could easily put together two off the shelf ones by using one for a "stripe" on the top that would draw the eye up....
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 3:38PM
baggie2
Michee, the Belle Fore faucets are beautiful. Thanks for that info.

Diana, it took me a little time to find the right Trax. Now I know it is a Utah rail line, a Chinese rock group, a special bathing apparatus, and (whew!) a shower curtain rod. I do like the look of the curtain hung from the ceiling. Thank you again for another wonderful suggestion. However, Michee, I will be having someone make the shower curtain since my sewing machine has probably rusted closed, if I can even find it! : )

Since I won't be making a curtain I will have time to rent the Swedish movie. My husband will think I have lost my mind, but he has had that thought many times, and I can always blame it on keeping up with the Joneses.

Looking forward to the final edition of the Diana bath. So happy to hear that your spa is what you hoped it would be. Congratulations! Hope to report soon on Rad Chad's progress.
    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 4:34PM
dianahb
michee627: Good to know about the stability of the curved shower rods. So, basically, what you're saying is that it really IS the quality of the hotels we stay in, and not the curtain rod stability/instability. ;) I do like that idea of using 2 shower curtains-- smart idea on how to pull that together. Thanks! I don't even own a sewing machine, so I'll probably be taking that good idea to someone who actually owns a sewing machine-- and knows what to do with it.

baggie2: You'll love the Swedish movie. It's been a week since I saw it, and I still can't get it out of my head. Not sure if that's good or bad, but if nothing else, the castle these people inhabit, including the landscaping, is amazing. Make your husband watch it with you (as I did mine). It's all in English, no sub-titles-- and then move on to downloading the Chinese rock group (Trax) music after that. ;) It can be a whole international festival type thing.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:46PM
michee627
Hotel guests are also really hard on everything. You are less likely to hang on your own shower curtain. :). Our rod just came from target or Home Depot or lowes or something
    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:12AM
baggie2
Michee, I think you are correct about some hotel guests. I will look into the curved style rod since it seems they are easily located.

Diana, I have scheduled "Melancholia" to be recorded next week when it is available for free....well, not exactly "free" since we pay big $$$ for cable, but I don't have to pay extra. You must have better training methods than mine since I doubt that my husband will be watching with me, but I will give it a try. I think it more likely that Dudley (the TV watching dog) will be watching with me. : ). No bathroom updates, I'm sorry to say.
Maybe next week.
    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:41AM
dianahb
So what is happening in the world of utility to bath renovations?? How is Chad? How are the penny rounds? How are the dogs? Did you see Melancholia? How's Chad? Oh wait. Did I ask that already> So many questions . . . but what is happening over there??
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 1:13PM
baggie2
Diana,

Zilch, nada, zero, naught, nothing! Flooring is all selected, tiles are selected..they will be supplementing our subway tiles with the square ones we are putting on the shower ceiling so will be having a few rows down from the ceiling of the white squares using a decorative moulding between the two. Sink and sink stand are selected. Cupboards are half empty...I think I told Chad about the Trax shower rod, but it has been a week since I heard from him. I try to send emails so I have a record. I think you with your legal expertise would advise that, wouldn't you?

Yes, I did watch "Melancholia" and thank you very much for my new paranoia with cloud shapes. : ). The husband wandered through the room periodically, but was definitely not an avid viewer. He did ask for updates, but I guess I my synopsis was so wonderful that he did not feel the need to stay and watch.

I went to an open house Saturday and the 3 bathrooms, kitchen, pool, and yard were wonderful. They had your tub! They used my Calcutta marble in two bathrooms and huge kitchen. They were delightful and I want to do our master bath over. The glass enclosure is a nightmare to keep clean. Every time I use it, I have to wipe down the walls, glass, and floor and I foolishly made it oversize. What was I thinking?!!

Dogs are doing fine and they often surprise me. They were wrestling the other day (in the house), and I pointed and said,"go to your beds". Imagine my shock when they went. We have never ordered them to their beds before. I wasn't aware they even knew the term "bed". I think I may be a little more stressed over this new project and the dogs are picking up on my angst. I mean the Kuvasz are bred for deliberately ignoring orders or even requests, and Dudley takes his cues from Dilly so he has learned to just walk away too. I think they were humoring me by making me think I have control over something. I know it won't last, but it has given me renewed faith that the in-house wrestling matches may end. It has been rainy here which makes me very happy that we put rubber mulch in the back yard.

Hope to have pictures and a "work schedule" posted soon. Please note I am not giving any even a vague calendar time.

Thanks for checking up...maybe you will get to use your legal verbiage in your call to Chad!
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 3:01PM
dianahb
Hey baggie2: So did you like Melancholia? Or did you finish watching it and wonder what was wrong with me.

I can't believe the open house people had my tub! Do they love theirs as much as I love mine, do you think? We still haven't done anything about a shower curtain, because I love the minimalistic look of just the tub without anything else, but we did spend a small fortune on a large shower head, so I guess there's no getting around putting a curtain up at some point.

So what's up with Chad? Do I need to call him? What is happening with your bathroom?! It's after July 4th already.
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 3:07PM
baggie2
Diana, yes, I did watch "Melancholia"...I talked about it in my second paragraph, but you may be blocking my comments. : )
Your tub looked great in the very quaint open house! You would have been pleased. They used subway tiles and the hex white flooring.
I know you like to kid, but it can't be even July yet; although I do remember fireworks a few days ago. Our bathroom remodel will be started in early June, which is a delay of about a week since we have issues with the hardwood flooring. Gosh, I am so anxious for June!

I had a call from the flooring/tile person TODAY asking about the final shower trim which I thought had been decided two weeks ago or more. I must be in some weird time warp..probably from watching some odd movie.

My living room and dining room curtains are made and will be installed next week. At least that project is on schedule. I did ask the decorator if she did bathrooms and was ready to give her the assignment until she said she uses the same flooring/tile store Chad uses. Aaargh! (Pirate speak for aaargh).

I hesitate to put Chad's number on this site, so if it becomes necessary, I will use cryptography based on your bathroom remodel and "Melancholia" so only you and I will be able to decipher it! Happy June!
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 3:59PM
dianahb
Yes; I saw that you watched Melancholia, but did you actually like it??
I was on Michee's thread, and I love the hex tiles and subway tiles she is using.

Our anniversary is today, so I'm 99% positive we are in the middle of July. Congratulations on the curtains, though. :)
I'm thinking Chad has too much work.
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:22AM
baggie2
I think I have to say I liked it, but it was very unusual. It's one of those movies that stays with you, but I don't think I would watch it again since the premise was frightening. I too think Michee's bathroom is coming along beautifully.

I happen to know of three golf outings Chad has had in as many weeks. Of course they were for charity so I can't be too critical, but I would like to get this project started so it can be finished. Will be sending pictures when there is something to photograph. : )

Happy Anniversary!! Big celebration?
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 12:07PM
dianahb
I wish I'd seen Melancholia on the big screen. I thought, visually, it was spectacular-- plus, I just liked the people in it, and the whole storyline was definitely memorable. A little piece of trivia-- the man who played her (bride's) boss and the man who played the groom are father and son in real life. Another great movie (so off-topic here)-- but trying to give you something to do while you wait for Chad to get his act together-- is 'Another Earth.' Also one of those movies that just stays with you. It's slow in the beginning, but really fascinating. Of course, pretty soon, you will stop listening to my movie suggestions and determine that my real forte is getting contractors off the golf course and into the bathrooms. Charity or no-- Chad is becoming a problem. My offer still stands (whatever it was, it still stands).

No big celebration-- just another day running on the beach and bike riding-- basically, too much fun. Maybe I'll break down and cook. :0
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 12:33PM
baggie2
Diana, great trivia. I may watch it again! "Another Earth" is not available on Time Warner, but the library may have it. I appreciate your distracting me from my bathroom problems. Funny about getting the contractors off the golf course and into the bathroom. : ). Still smiling about that comment! I am not a big movie fan, but instead read...a lot. Sounds like you have a wonderful, relaxing, healthy anniversary planned, but I would hesitate to start a preparing dinner trend. It would not be (as Martha would say) "a good thing". I just read a cute book "The Tao of Martha" so her mantra is still fresh in my mind. Will keep you Chad updated. Enjoy the rest of your day..but NO COOKING!!!
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 5:43PM
Jeannie Nguyen
Hi baggie2! How's the renovation going? Do you have any photo updates to share? I would love to see how the bathroom is turning out!
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:58AM
baggie2
Jeannie, no pictures since there has been nothing done yet. We insisted our contractor have everything ordered and in his possession before starting. I hope to send pictures before the end of the month, but I had that same thouight in May. : ) Thanks for your interest!
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:04PM
baggie2
Oh, wow!!!! My moss hex tiles arrived today!!!! A wonderful sleuth, Bethany, in the main office of the Tile Shop, located 2 boxes of the tile. She is a gem. Chad says they plan to come in late next week to begin demolition because the tilers are scheduled to begin the tiling Aug 20th.
Now I need to decide what to do with the concrete floor in the new utility room. It is currently painted and in excellent condition. I saw a picture of a concrete floor that had an epoxy top coat and it was really neat. Any suggestions from you decorating gurus...guri(?)?
They have redone the curbs on our side of the street and we have not been able to use our driveway. The nice gentleman across the street has let us park in his driveway which helps, but I am glad the remodeling crew has not had to deal with the mess. I think they will be resurfacing the street next, but I think that only takes a day or two....hope I am right. Hooray, hooray, hooray! Happy days!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:08PM
dianahb
Oh wow. That's great!! Congratulations!! I am in Montreal right now, staying at a gorgeous small hotel-- and they have the most beautiful concrete floors everywhere. I love stained cement floors. You might think about having another skim coat put over the painted part-- stained-- or some great looking coating. I think it could look great -- or maybe just repainted ??
1 Like    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 1:31PM
baggie2
Lucky you with your travel. We haven't been to Canada for several years, but it is a great place to visit. Have fun! Will post updates and pictures as we make...progress!!! Hip...hip....hooray!
    Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 3:25PM
michee627
would you believe they are doing my street now too?!! we haven't had access for about the last week. Hope you are moving forward faster than I am!
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:02PM
michee627
hey guys... would you be willing to weigh in on my bathroom decorating discussion?? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/594564#1364845
1 Like    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 9:07AM
baggie2
Michee, it is strange that they are doing both our streets! They put in new curbs, driveway aprons, and resurfaced the edge where the new curbs were done. We were back in our driveway and garage within about 8 days. Don't know when they will be back to resurface the entire street. We were happy to have the work done, but wish we had some advance notice. Did you have advance info from your city?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 4:41PM
baggie2
Before pictures of storage room soon-to-be utility room. All cleaned out, except big boxes Chad and his crew will move....starting TOMORROW!!!!!! The window is the one to be replaced with door and sidelight.
    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 4:47PM
baggie2
View from storage room looking into utility area/new bathroom and hall. View from utility to old storage area.
    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 4:50PM
baggie2
    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 4:50PM
michee627
They put a green notice in our front door the day prior. Of course none of us use our front doors. We are on the second part of the street Aprons next week
1 Like    Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 5:22PM
baggie2
Bare bones in the bathroom and utility room..thanks to Chad and his crew! Tiling to begin Tuesday, but Chad and gang will be here on Monday to hook up washer and dryer and probably install the shower walls and maybe begin the utility room walls...or door. I am really anxious to get that door installed. We have decided to eliminate the door between the new utility room and new hall since it shouldn't be needed. Clearing out "stuff" is invigorating!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:29AM
dianahb
Congratulations, baggie2! That Chad got off the golf course and into your house! :) They've done a lot so far with all the gutting. I do love clearing out stuff myself. I can think so much more clearly. Anyway-- good for you! That's so exciting. Keep us updated. Tell Chad I said 'hi' and glad I didn't have to call him. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:37AM
baggie2
Diana,

6' 3" Chad and his 6' 5" cousin make everything look easy. I had a couple of boxes on a top shelf that required my standing on the third step of the ladder and cousin just reached up and took them down. I think it might be nice to be tall, but then probably wouldn't fit in things like your cute bathtub or a regular car. How was your visit to Canada? Are they celebrating Prince George everywhere? Will be sending "progress" pictures. I gave Chad the Trax info and hope he is preparing to install it early so it blends.

We are thinking of locating the electrical outlets about a third of the way from the floor in the new utility room. Decorating gurus..what are your opinions about the higher locations since this is a "utility" area?
    Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 12:00PM
baggie2
Yippee. See attached pictures! Drywall is nearly finished and tiling begins tomorrow. Only one tiler, but I don't think there would be room for more than one. He is allowing a week, and thinks it won't take that long. Love the configuration and can hardly wait to see the tile in place. I am glad we changed the window to a door and sidelight even though it was rather traumatic watching them saw a big hole in our brick house. What a difference a contractor makes!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 3:14PM
dianahb
Oh wow-- very nice, baggie2! I love the door and sidelights. That's huge-- what a difference that makes. They're really moving along.

You asked about the electrical outlets, by the way. And when we did our bathroom, I asked for some extra outlets and had them put up higher. The electrician kept confirming it with me, but where I wanted them, a piece of furniture was going, and I wanted to be able to have a lamp, or plug in anything else I wanted-- and so the furniture hides it. But I much prefer them up higher; I often find myself crawling around all over the floor to get to an outlet, which I hate. And in a utility room, it would seem of value to move them up higher. That's my take, anyway.

But it's all coming along. When they finally got there, they sure got busy! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 3:30PM
baggie2
Diana,

They put the outlets about halfway up the wall. It is a utility room so I chose convenience over aesthetics. : ). Like you, I have spent time on the floor reaching around some piece of furniture to find an outlet strictly by my sense of touch...which is never an easy job.
Speaking of crawling around...
I want to give an "atta girl" shout out to Helga, our live-in maid. She is an iRobot and can zip under the beds, and some furniture, with great ease and determination. I always had a difficult time reaching the under the beds' netherlands and I don't have to do my military style belly crawl to clean that area anymore. I would not make an acceptable cleaning lady.

We are going out of town for a couple of days so I am preparing Dilly and Dudley for their "camping out" adventure. I think they would rather stay home and bark at the guys, but Chad declined my offer to let him take care of them, so off to camp they go!

Pictures in a few days! Hooray!

Thanks for the support...I needed it.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 6:48PM
dianahb
Yes-- I think you'll like the outlets higher up. I love them that way. I did a military style crawl just this afternoon, trying to unplug a lamp. Ridiculous. Anyway-- it's all looking great-- and good for you for going away, so you don't have to be there while they work. We often take our dog to 'Dog Diggity,' one of those places where all the dogs get to play all day and all night-- that's all they do-- and he seems to love it and sleeps for days afterward. Have fun! Post more pics when you return.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 7:16PM
michee627
what do you expect to plug into the outlet? Not a lamp I assume?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 7:44AM
dianahb
Hey michee627-- I wasn't sure if that question was for me, or for baggie. For us, though, our sinks are outside the actual bathroom itself. So it's almost like a dressing area, I guess-- and that's where all this horrific built-in cabinetry was-- with equally horrific built-in sinks-- and then the bathroom is just off of that area. So we tore out the awful cabinetry, and there were already outlets high up, within the cabinetry, which we opted to keep at that same height. We now have tile wainscoting around all that area, along with two large pedestal sinks. The area is about 11 feet long. We did not replace any built-in cabinetry, so the two outlets we kept, that are up high, are to the left and right of each sink, virtually hidden within the tile work. We put in a free-standing piece of furniture between the two sinks, and I asked for an outlet up high there (but low enough that the furniture actually hides it). But to answer your question-- yes-- a lamp goes there. There are no outlets in the actual bathroom itself. For the outlets to the left and right of each sink -- well, let's see-- I often plug in my electric toothbrush, or a hair dryer, or the vacuum cleaner when I'm vacuuming back there. For a utility room, as baggie is doing, I can think of any number of things to plug into an outlet. As far as I'm concerned, there are never enough outlets in a house (any house I've ever lived in).
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:01AM
baggie2
There will be no lamps in our utility room. They put in recessed lights in the ceiling so I will be using the outlets for my iron, dog clippers, possibly a fan or heater. However, Chad thought of everything with additional insulation, moving the furnace vent, and adding a new wall heater. The dogs love the new utility room! Dudley wanted out the new door, in the new door, out the new door, in the new door...you get the idea. I think he wanted to show us that he really likes it, or if he was telling us something else, we did not get it.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:39AM
dianahb
Yes-- dog clippers! That is so sweet about the doggie door. I think my little border collie would like a doggie door. I can imagine all sorts of items for an outlet in a utility room. That Chad sounds like a real gem. ;) When is the floor going in? I can't wait to see it.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:43AM
michee627
Dianahb... question was for baggie2 :) I was just thinking that if it was for something on the floor... the cord is probably 6' (standard cord length) and if the outlet is high enough on the wall you will limit the distance it can be from the wall or sideways from the outlet. If you want to plug in stuff on the floor (e.g. fan) then you might also want one closer to the floor. You probably already thought of that!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:50AM
dianahb
Oh. haha. Sorry. Well, still-- I'm just weighing in here to say I love outlets and never have enough, it seems. I love lamps, too-- and, so far-- no one here has been electrocuted. :0
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 8:52AM
baggie2
Michee, I hadn't thought about lamps. I am sort of living in a utility and bathroom tunnel these days. Chad said they are putting the outlets in the lowest point in the floor moldings in their new builds. He asked about the ceiling finishes, especially(gasp!) textured. No, no, no, and no. I guess some of their clients are requesting the pebble, etc finishes. I have a friend who hired someone to remove all of her popcorn ceilings and what a messy, difficult job that was.
Diana,
I don't know when he will put in the floor, but I think it is step two after the shower waterproofing. I put a couple of the hexes in the room and I still love them, even with the primitive setting.
I am hoping the sink and stand will not look too casual. We will decide on a mirror after everything is finished. I have an old mirrored Oak hat rack that I may use if it is not too massive for the room, but may need to paint it. Oh, fiddle-de-de, I'll worry about that tomorrow. Btw, love Shelties. Is she a one person dog?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 9:48AM
dianahb
Really? People are actually *asking* for textured ceilings? That is wild. If I go into a place that has that popcorn stuff on the ceiling, I just can't take my eyes off of it. I do know people who have removed that-- a mess and expensive. Typically, whenever a contractor says to me, "Well, most everybody wants or does this or that," I'm wanting the exact opposite. If I walk in someone's house and really love it and everything they've done with it, it's a rare thing. So I'm never going along with what everybody else is doing.

I have a friend who is redoing her bathroom and got the little square tiles (like the penny rounds, but square) for her shower floor, from The Tile Shop. She's had a heck of a time with The Tile Shop, so much so that her tiler (which was also my tiler who did our work) drove out there with her to give them hell. I think we must have just really lucked out with those penny rounds-- no problem at all-- but it's been one disaster right after another for her.

Anyway-- it all sounds great.

My border collie, Tucker, is the sweetest (and, of course, smartest) dog in the world. He is attached to both of us, I guess-- equally-- but probably loves me more ;)-- and wary of strangers. He does herd people (including us), and tends to nip at ankles if you're not moving fast enough or moving in the right direction. He also has that border collie stare. I can see why sheep would stay in line with them around.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 10:15AM
baggie2
Ready!????? The dry wall people have been here this week and are making quite a mess. I ran errands late this afternoon and the workers were gone when I arrived back home. I went to see what had been done.....textured ceilings!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!! A quick call to Chad. There was a miscommunication and the ceilings will be scraped and redone. More mess, but it has to be. The shower is about 2/3 grouted, and floor will begin next week. I have located a piece of Carrera marble for the shower curb and Captain Marble will be here tomorrow to make the template. Can't bear to take pictures of the mess but hope to have some next week. Have a nice holiday weekend!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:25PM
Can't wait to see the progress. Exciting!
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:29PM
dianahb
I can't believe it. After all that talk about textured ceilings. Maybe they thought if you could just SEE it, you'd learn to love it. :) That Chad has a lot to answer for. ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:50PM
baggie2
Chad and his crew of two came and really cleaned things up. They even washed the floors...in the remodel area, of course. They are so nice and efficient. Because the dry wall guys were here the tiler didn't do any work today. Floor starts Tuesday, but he will finish the shower grouting first. Picture is of mostly grouted shower. Off this afternoon to pick up the grey grout and look at marble for the curb. Yippee!!
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 10:40AM
michee627
so glad you have progress! Our street is finally done and everyone is making progress here too!
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:44PM
baggie2
Michele, it's good to hear that your street project is completed. Were you inconvenienced very long? I don't know when they will resurface our street, but I hope the remodel is finished by then. We are looking forward to your pictures. Your window is so clever! Progress is great!
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 2:17PM
michee627
thanks! it was about three weeks total. they did a good job of making sure we could get to the driveways on the weekends but it wasn't much fun with two little ones during the week.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 2:19PM
baggie2
Getting anxious...attached photos of rough stage finishing. The shower curb will be like the small sample shown in the picture. The second picture shows the new hall leading from dinette to new utility room and last picture is far end of utility room. Hope to have all the painting finished next week, the shower curb and tiling and floor finished and cleaned also. Installation of toilet, sink, and shower fixtures and shower curtain the following week. I am so ready to be finished!
    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 6:40PM
baggie2
What are the opinions on trim color vs wall color? I tend to like them the same, but our painter wants them contrasting. I think in the very small bathroom they should match. Suggestions?
    Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 4:36PM
dianahb
Ooh-- I love it-- and love the floor and tile, especially that gorgeous floor! This is the first time I've seen these pictures. I love the way it's shaping up.

I've never ever painted the trim color the same as the wall color-- though I can see the reasoning behind doing it. I'm with the painter, though. What I would do (and what I tend to do) -- depending on the surroundings, of course-- is to pick a creamy white for the trim and a pale, but contrasting color for the wall. So you have a contrast, but a smooth one/transition. I'm not sure I'd like both wall and trim color to be the same. A pale neutral gray might be nice for the walls and a creamy white for the trim? That would provide the contrast that the painter and I both demand :) but something like that would offer a delicate soft contrast-- which would also work- for your reasons-- in a small space. Just my thoughts. But I love the way this is looking, baggie2! I know you're looking forward to having it finished.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 5:41PM
baggie2
My living room has same color walls and trim..attached picture, and am realizing that is the only room with matching walls and trim. How surprised am I?!? Of course, I would hope you like the new bathroom floor since you supplied the idea, and I thank you for that. The cabinet shop has a wonderful kitchen display, and we are thinking about a Sub Zero integrated unit. Don't know about the budget, however.
    Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 7:44PM
michee627
I like contrast to make the trim pop and give the room some clean lines.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:58AM
dianahb
I agree with michee627. Even if you do a softer transition with the colors, it's nice to see the trim work when you have nice trim work. I did realize, after I posted, that we have a long narrow sunroom, and because of all the windows, the window/door trim and walls are actually painted the same color. That was also news to me. ;) Still, when we repaint that room, I probably wouldn't do that again. You also have nice crown molding in your living room that meshes well, or matches, the trim molding, which I would want to show off, too. So your next job is to repaint that living room. :)

The Sub Zero integrated unit sounds nice. This is the problem with getting work done-- you see all kinds of other things you need to do and more great ideas. I've been cleaning out more stuff from our house-- it's never-ending-- and coming up with built-in book case ideas and replacing our countertop in the kitchen and who knows what else. I'm trying not to think about it or look too closely at anything anymore. I'm so happy with my bathrooms and so thrilled no one is coming over to the house anymore, and I can't stand the thought of people traipsing through here again.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:07AM
michee627
For the record, clearly I'm commenting from my phone and you are typing dianahb! :) Baggie2... were you leaning any particular direction in terms of color? do you want a calm or energized feel? calm would call for something perhaps in the same family or a complimentary color to your tile. energizing might be more of a contrast. your tile has both green and brown right? pick your color and then test it!! never skip testing. Also - don't be afraid to go with what you prefer in terms of clothing for the walls. If you like pastel clothes - go for pastel walls. if you like stronger colors... go for that too. You can go stronger colors that are muted or "happy" colors for totally different looks even with the same basic color. too much info? clearly not on my phone now! ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:25PM
baggie2
Oh no, not painting the living room...at least not tonight. I am thinking Revere Pewter for the new bath with a soft white trim. The utility will be Strawberry Yogurt, but need to decide on trim color. I spent this evening cleaning the ceiling bulbs which the dry wall guys had completely smeared with that mud stuff and which had hardened nicely. Fingernails are a mess. I took my stained glass to a shop about 50 miles away, and I am so happy I did. The owner was delightful and seemed to know what she was doing. She said the glass has been placed directly into the frame, but thought she could remove it for a cost of $400. Oops, that was not in the budget, and maybe I don't find that frame as objectionable as I thought. The stained glass lady said the glass in it was expensive and one segment is no longer available, but the technique was not the best. I think I will probably paint the frame or stain it a darker color. The glass shop had beautiful leaded glass doors, and I thought of Michee's beautiful window. Chad and gang are coming tomorrow to put up the trim and shower curb will be installed also. I know how Diana feels with people traipsing through our otherwise ordered lives! More delays with sink and stand..sink is on order, but will not be delivered to the store "until they have a full truck" (2 to 8 weeks!). Just want to give credit to this non-customer-oriented store which has a beautiful showroom and is named "Waterhouse".
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:54PM
michee627
ouch on the removal cost - but I can tell you my new one was about double that... so you are better off going with your original if the size is right! I would be losing it re: the truck explanation... ouch. I have to say that my online sources don't have a pretty showroom but also don't have issues like that - so far!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 6:37PM
baggie2
Tiler is coming tonight to finish grouting and polish and seal the floor...at least that was the plan. Chad is nearly finished with just a couple of little details left. Painter needs to return and paint a couple things he missed and calk around the new door. I am happy, happy, happy. Love the Trax component and curtain! Thanks, Diana for the suggestion. In this tiny bathroom it just fits. Have not decided on mirror or towel bars or TP holder. Nearly finished bathroom pictures attached. More later...
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 1:20PM
dianahb
Thanks so much for the photos, baggie2! Wow-- I seriously love this. I'm crazy about the penny rounds, of course, and it's nice to see the bigger picture of how they look outside the shower. I approve of the grout color; that really looks like what I used-- same hue. And I really love the utility sink and the way that's set into the wooden open cabinetry. I'm so jealous I don't have a utility room now. It all has such a clean fresh inviting look. And I can't believe how great the TRAX looks-- really built-in looking and meshes so well-- very unobtrusive. I think that's what we'll end up using-- some configuration they can do for us, maybe-- in our bathroom with the 'high-stepper' tub. And your wall color looks so much like
what we used in our bathroom (Benjamin Moore 'Wind's Breath'). What did you end up using? I like it a lot. Well, I just like everything about this. I know you are so happy with the transformation. Those dogs are gonna love their showers! ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 3:52PM
baggie2
Diana,

Thanks! Everyone's advice has been so helpful and we should all give ourselves a hand. That Trax was an inspiration and the curtain closes so easily. That they also make liners and curtains to fit were an added bonus. I only bought the vinyl liner since I have considered having a little fancier curtain made, but I sort of like the crisp look. I know you would love it for your high step tub.
I used Ben Moore's Revere Pewter on the walls. It's the same color I used in the other bathroom so I knew it was not a dull grey.
Dogs seem to think something is afoot and are avoiding the new area. We can't use the shower until tomorrow so they have another day. We need to get the concrete floor finished so I will be contacting those people tomorrow. Moving toward the finish line is exciting!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:53PM
baggie2
Newest dilemma...this closet/cupboard. 39" deep, 8' tall, 18" wide. I am going to hang two rods with the one at the back as high as I can reach to hang play coats, and the one at the front lower. My concern is a front for this skeleton closet. Any type of door will need braces at the sides which would reduce the already narrow space, and the window frame is also a concern. I may add cedar on the back wall and really want to close off the skeleton closet. I did offer it to Dilly and Dudley, but they have opted out. : ). In the last picture, the skeleton closet is behind the shower and left of the window. The skeleton closet itself is not very photogenic, but there it is in the first 3 pictures!
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 7:05AM
baggie2
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 7:05AM
baggie2
Sorry about the duplication, my computer said there was a problem and to resubmit. I didn't know it was just testing me to see how well I obeyed. Passed the obey...failed the verify.
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 7:15AM
dianahb
Would it be terrible to put a long curtain there instead of doors? Maybe I'm misunderstanding-- but there will be no shelves, just double rods for hanging coats? That's what I would probably do, with something so narrow-- instead of traditional doors-- which would be problematic. I think it's perfect (depth wise- and a great use of space) for coats and anything else you want to put in there-- but I would probably put one rod in there and leave the floor open (or put a shelf there?) for boots or shoes or whatever (thinking rain, snow, sleet, mud slides). I think a curtain-- like a gray or tan linen-- would give you full access, look good, and and not interfere with the window, either. The other option would be to simply leave it open (?). But I would probably get another trax maybe-- and hang a curtain from the ceiling-- custom made in a medium weight or heavy linen. I think it would look good, serve the purpose, and not interfere with anything else.

You have such great space here. I love it.
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 7:25AM
baggie2
Thanks, Diana, but the husband has been adamant about no curtain. I like the idea of using a Trax curtain for the skeleton closet since it eliminates the "shower rod" look. I thought about using a rounded Trax and incorporating the drapery into a flow from the closet and over the window when we needed privacy. Otherwise the drapery would be pulled back off the window and cover the closet. I will continue to try to sell this idea to the husband because it seems to be the best solution. Wish me luck!
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 8:12AM
dianahb
Yeah-- that's why I mentioned kind of a medium weight linen. Linen has an elegant look, but also a heavier linen seems suitable (almost utilitarian, I guess) for a utility room. Not fancy, like formal drapes, but elegant enough to look good.
I would not combine it with the window in any way, though. That's just a really bad idea, baggie2. You've been dealing with these contractors too long. I'd probably just get a shade for the window-- or nothing at all.
We do have a very narrow closet just off our bathroom. We have a traditional door on it, and it works fine-- but there's only shelving in there. You could get a reeded glass door maybe. Since it's such a narrow space, width-wise-- you could have the door open to the left (?)-- not on the side of the window-- and it probably wouldn't interfere with the space. I think a glass door-- again-- maybe that reeded glass-- would look good. It seems like it might be a tall door, but maybe not.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 8:22AM
michee627
if you did do a door it would be 18"W x 8' tall right? and you would have to do something to hang it from the wall... if you did a door you could possibly put a towel bar on the back of it and add to your storage but by the time you frame it in the width is going to be less than 18". how are you planning to get back to the back. Are you both very narrow? :) What if you made it more of a deep cabinet with pull out deals or something?
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 10:42AM
michee627
like a garment rack on wheels that you could pull past the window if you are really looking for coat storage.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 10:50AM
dianahb
I agree with michee about a possible cabinet-- with all that depth-- and pull-out drawers (or pull-out wire drawers like you can get at the Container Store and install really easily). And maybe have the rod for hanging coats above that. You'd still have room for shoes or boots somewhere.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 10:57AM
baggie2
I knew you guys would have some solutions! I had not thought of a pull out rack, and I think that would work very well. I can walk into the closet as it now exists so can reach the back, but couldn't do that if the entrance is narrowed to hang a door. On advice of a former juror, I am rejecting the curtain coverall idea. : ). Well I'm off to surf for a narrow rack! The husband is growing weary of my "what if we...." suggestions at all hours of the day and night, especially for the skeleton closet.
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 11:31AM
dianahb
So I just had a great idea. Here's what you could do. Put the rod in for coats up above, and put in a built-in cupboard below. More work for Chad but not a lot. Then that will be just drawers basically-- but closed. That leaves you space of the narrow cabinet to set anything down that you needed. The open area above, for hanging jackets, simply remains open. It's not like anyone can see that area, it would appear, without walking over there, since hidden by the shower wall?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 11:57AM
michee627
can people see in through the window? Another "door" option might be something that mounts on the wall and pulls out. I'm thinking like the phantom screen but more opaque. I'm sure that they exist out there.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 12:21PM
michee627
also - I can't imagine that you are going to walk "in" an 18" wide space. You are more likely to step up to it, making deep drawers that pull out to you a more practical solution?? you have the physical space there so you would know of course.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 12:23PM
baggie2
Ok, I am testing the space...yes, I can walk into it, turn around, and walk out without any bruising of me or the walls. I remeasured and it's actually from wall to wall 18 1/2". The only way the inside of the closet can be viewed would be standing in front of it, standing at the sink and looking back over your shoulder, or seated on the potty. The slide out shelves would be good for the lower portion, but the window frame would prevent their being opened at a higher level. I am thinking of buying a rolling storage to see how it looks and how the husband will adjust to it. Some of them are nice and sturdy. I have a couple in the kitchen closet and garage, but they are flimsy and very short. My husband used the old brass hall tree for his jackets and I really hated that messy look in the storage room. I may polish the clothes tree and move it to the skeleton closet to see what he thinks of that. He could use hangers on it, but tossing on a hook is much faster.
Painters came back today and finished some things they missed (avoided?). The concrete expert will be here tomorrow and said "no problem painting over painted cement"...but we didn't discuss $$$.
Almost forgot, Michee, the window faces our backyard, but the closet would not be visible from outside. At least that's a plus!
What did you ladies do with the construction "leftovers"?
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 1:34PM
dianahb
Well, first things first. Our construction "leftovers" are mostly still sitting on our patio. I kid you not. It's a really good look that we've learned to love. The only items we really have left over, though, are tile and grout-- and all things related to tile and grout. We do have a small storage shed, though, so that stuff will go in there whenever someone decides to pick it all up and organize it on a shelf. I'll miss it when it goes. I'm not sure we had anything else remaining. Any excess, like boxes that housed plumbing or electrical stuff-- we (like good citizens) recycled-- though I've always felt that whole recycling thing is quite possibly a scam on the American public-- but that's a whole other story. Other 'construction' stuff, I think each subcontractor managed to cart away. There's also the possibility that I measured everything so perfectly, and my subcontractors were so good, that nothing was left. There is the tile, of course.

On to the 18"+ storage space . . . so I feel like I spend a lot of time at the Container Store. I think they have some very smart storage ideas. I have a studio which houses very long and deep cabinetry. I knew that if I didn't put something in there to hold stuff, that I could just pull out-- have easy access to-- things would just get lost in that deep cavern. So I did find these great wire pull-out drawer type things which we installed inside-- made by 'Elfa' at the Container Store-- and they work so well. They also just have good ideas about how to organize closet space, no matter the size-- and all very affordable. So I would just take a trip to one, if you have one near you, which might spark some ideas.

Meanwhile, I would also consider putting in the narrow cabinet below, which could be just drawers, or a narrow cabinet with shelving inside-- or simply open, and install some of these 'Elfa' shelving systems-- and the hanging coat rod above-- anything below would be covered, and the coats above would just be open. I don't think it would look sloppy, like a hall tree-- because it would be enclosed and set back--within this 18 inch space-- and really obscured from everything else.

To my mind, from what I see with your photos and your description, this is just extra bonus space that's really sort of hidden-- but that could be great storage. When we re-did our bathroom, I was happy to eliminate our very narrow closet, near where the sinks are- but the tiler and carpenter talked me out of that, saying that every little bit of storage helps. We had all the moldings re-done, and the carpenter assured me it would look great and fit right in-- better than it looked before. He was so right, and I'm shocked at how much storage I get in there-- and it's not nearly the size you're talking about at your place.

I did have this great idea about a pocket door-- but that would require some smart maneuvering on Chad's part, and more $$$.

Finally, I need to start making my posts shorter. The amount of bandwidth I must take up with my posts alone is not good.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 2:06PM
michee627
what she said :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 3:09PM
baggie2
What about that pocket door idea? We don't have a Container store nearby, but I am always willing to take a shopping trip! I looked online at the Container store and it looks like they have some clever storage ideas. You say they are sturdy?
Now about that d-o-o-r...
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 3:38PM
dianahb
Well, a pocket door would solve all your issues, but it has to have some wall space in which to retreat, and you don't have that on the left side (shower wall)-- but they may be able to configure a way to do that on the wall on the right. Structurally, it has to work, but you'd have to ask the all-knowing Chad about that. ;)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 4:21PM
baggie2
The right side wall is exterior so can't think of any space there. And I noticed..studio?!? Do you dance, paint, do yoga?? No wonder you can handle the high step tub!!!
    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 4:31PM
dianahb
Yes, of course-- all 3! You're right-- I have to do something to keep moving-- to deftly handle the high-stepper. But substitute painting for photography-- :) I do have an incredible studio, right in my back yard. We had a separate garage, with attached potting shed-- built in 1927, complete with exposed beams and rafters-- all just sitting there jam-packed full of useless stuff (never used as a garage or potting shed, so filled with stuff we never even knew we had). We finally had it renovated-- transformed into a studio and office for me, a few years ago.

So, yes-- baggie2. It's just as you suspected-- we've been in the throes of renovation since before the dawn of time. But that particular renovation has been incredible-- changed the entire way I work, and I can't tell you how much I love it. 22 steps from my back door to the studio-- 600 sq feet of amazing space-- and even a wood burning stove. We did put in an interior sliding barn door to separate the studio from the office (which was, in its previous life, the potting shed). I love barn doors almost as much as I love penny rounds. In fact, I thought about a barn door for you, but the space is too narrow. I'd ask Chad about a pocket door, though. Even though that's an exterior wall, there might be something they can do.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 8:49PM
baggie2
Diana, sounds marvelous! No wonder you are so observant about what you see in the photos! I have learned, at least in our case, that homeowners are in a constant state of changing things. You property sounds so quaint, and you are fortunate to have the time and talent to make it into what you want. We added a shed to our property and we like it, but it certainly doesn't have the charm of a 1927 potting shed. Would love to see a picture and also the sliding door. My sister and her husband had an old barn torn down and a man did it just for the siding and doors.
I have spent the better part of the morning trying to clean out some of the leftovers that are occupying most of the garage...along with "stuff" I didn't even remember we still had. My trunk is full of things to go to "Restore" and stuff for Goodwill.
The concrete guy came this morning and we are going to have him do the utility room floor so it looks like polished grey marble. More mess, but he said it "should" only take a couple days. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but I have heard that time table before, as I think we all have. : ).
    Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 10:20AM
baggie2
Still not finished...small details, but I do have a reminder on the bathroom door for the doggies....
    Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 11:51AM
dianahb
baggie2: Why did I not see this sooner? I kept wondering what was going on over there, and I see that the dogs are reading and writing. Anything else??
    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 3:42PM
baggie2
Diana, not much to do so I have been working on Dilly's and Dudley's manners and teaching them to read my admonitions. We are on the "schedule" for the concrete refinishers, but haven't heard where we rank. Chad still has to: finish the shower light, the whole house attic fan switches, rebrick the old dryer vent, and finish the removal of the old sliding doors in the sunroom and install the new trim and threshold. We wanted him to put new cedar shingles on the peak of our brick house and redo the sofftits and some trim this year, and the exterior painting, but it seems autumn has arrived and those projects will have to wait. Are you starting any new projects that require a cheering squad or are you just regrouping for the holidays? Hope to report back in the next couple of weeks that everything is finished, but don't sit around waiting for that message : ). I haven't managed to get to a Container Store, but I bought an old display rack I though would go in the skeleton closet. Unfortunately, I measured from wall to wall and the baseboard trim narrows the space by about an inch so it doesn't fit. I may just keep it in the utility room since I do like it. See attached photos.
    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 5:03PM
dianahb
Wow-- well, that is a lot (for Chad to do). :) I like the display rack. I'd keep it, too. Maybe you should paint it a cobalt blue or turquoise. It looks fine the way it is; I just see things and think they need to be painted.

Well, we did have our carpenter who worked on the bathroom renovations to make some built-in bookcases for us. I took a load of books to a second hand store, but we still have too many books and too much pottery. I love built-in bookshelves, so we had him do that, and they look spectacular. They really do look like they came with the house, and the house is 90 years old-- but they need painting now, as does the room. We could do it, but . . . you know how that goes.

And then I really want to change out the limestone countertop in our kitchen. I think I've complained about this before. So after looking at tile, and everyone telling me that NO ONE puts tile on countertops anymore, I came across soapstone. Now I'm seriously in love. There is one place in the U.S. that quarries soapstone, and it's in VA. Most soapstone that's sold here is imported (Brazil or India, I think). But I love the idea of getting soapstone quarried in the U.S., in the next state over. :) So we're driving up there tomorrow to check it out. They sent me a sample, and it is so beautiful. A blue/gray until you put wax on it, and then it goes black. But I rather like the blue/gray. But I have limestone tiles on my backsplash (also 20 years old), but they've fared amazingly well-- like they were put in yesterday. So I want to keep that up there-- no reason to rip it out-- I'm just hoping the soapstone goes okay with it-- I mean, blue/gray or black goes with everything, right?? The limestone is pretty bland-- just beige and warm white, so it needs something.

So that's what we're up to. I still love my bathrooms and my penny rounds, though. How do you like those penny rounds? Can you use the shower now?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 5:58PM
dianahb
I forgot. I need to teach Tucker to read now. You've shamed me into it. Also, Happy Halloween!!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 5:59PM
baggie2
The soapstone sounds lovely! Leave it to you to find something uniquely beautiful. We replaced some bookcases in our family room and when they removed the old ones, they had been signed by the carpenter. Our son took them for his home, and they look great so I don't feel so bad about replacing them. We have too many books, but I find it difficult to part with any of them so we just keep buying bookcases. I have tons of cookbooks, but rarely cook. Children's books but no little eyes to look at them. History books from a great uncle's collection. Fiction and nonfiction books I think everyone should read and love. Even a Webster's unabridged dictionary published in 1901. So, I applauded your addition of bookcases! I thought about painting ours, but find the painted ones are more difficult for me to keep looking good. Guess my books must be dirty..as in unclean..for clarification. Looking forward to pictures of the soapstone and love the idea that the color isn't stagnant!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 6:39PM
baggie2
Good luck with Tucker's reading lessons. B is very difficult for them to pronounce, but Tucker's breed is known to be very smart and clever.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 6:41PM
dianahb
haha. I seriously did not know about the 'B' problem. Tucker is extraordinarily smart, so I'm sure he will be reading Chaucer (and, yes, that big old book is waiting to go on a new bookshelf ;)-- left over from college). Like you, I can't bear to get rid of books. I only got rid of beaten up paperbacks-- most of which we amazingly had multiple copies. I feel better now knowing that you have a bunch of books over there. We also have tons of children's books-- which are actually my favorites. Okay-- I feel better now. I honestly think it's weird when I go into homes that have no books. ??

Anyway-- we're painting ours because we didn't use fancy wood-- but the carpenter is amazing, so I'm happy. Now if we can just find a painter . . .

I'll let you know what happens with the soapstone. I think its only issue is that it can scratch-- but I'm so sick of that porous limestone-- talk about dirty. I don't really think the soapstone goes all that well with the limestone, which is neutral-- but more of a warm neutral-- but I don't care, so in love am I with soapstone. I'll take pictures tomorrow and send them on. :)

Good luck with Chad. We did not get one trick-or-treater, but the goblins upset Tucker.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 7:02PM
baggie2
Utility room concrete floor is finished, but now we need to have baseboard touched-up. Getting there!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:37PM
dianahb
Oh wow-- I LOVE the concrete floor! I didn't realize you were doing that. I have always loved that look, and this looks incredible. Is it stained and polished? This is amazing. I had no idea. I'm so impressed, baggie2! (love the ironing board-- does anyone use it, or is it just propped there for decor purposes??)

So was this an existing concrete floor you had stained and polished, or was it just poured? LOVE it!!
    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:45PM
baggie2
The ironing board definitely gets a workout...it's my "therapy".
The concrete floor was already there, but had been painted a few times so they spent, literally, hours sanding the paint off. Then they make several different mixtures which look like finger paint and just swirl it into the desired pattern. It is shiny from the first, but they did come back the next day when the floor had dried and applied a very noxious sealer. Only care required is mopping. Dilly and Dudley spent much of the day outside since the odor was so strong. I would certainly warn people about that! I think it will be pretty much impervious to almost anything. There are many color choices so it can have any look. The guys who did our floor did a basement floor that looked like water and they said it was really a fun project.
How did the search for soapstone go? It sounds like a great and unique choice, and better than granite for durability, besides having a subtle coloring. What did you decide?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 6:13PM
dianahb
Well, I love the concrete. I had thought about that for my studio floor, which already had concrete flooring-- but too many issues with it to try to re-do-- so we didn't go that route, but I do love the look very much. Every time I see it, I'm so drawn to it. It must have been fascinating to watch them do that-- if you were able to. I always notice the gorgeous stained concrete floors in our airport-- and even our local Whole Foods has them. Imagine all those people walking around on them, and they still look unique and beautiful. I know you'll love it. What do you love most, your penny rounds or the concrete flooring??

Ah, the soapstone. Well, turns out, like everything else, it's slow going. But we did get up to the place in VA, which was quite illuminating (Alberene Soapstone http://www.alberenesoapstone.com). Really interesting place, which I'd love to go back and photograph, with a fascinating history. The guy there was so so nice, knowledgable, and very helpful-- they all were, very friendly-- and we got to just tour around and look all these slabs of amazingly beautiful blue/black/gray soapstone. Honestly, you could have blindfolded me, turned me around, and had me just point-- and I could have chosen the perfect soapstone. We ended up putting 3 slabs on hold. But I would have been perfectly content with any of them.

So the hard part, we discovered, is finding a fabricator. We first contacted a place a few hours from us, but with a good reputation, and they've worked with this particular soapstone. We sent them a basic layout just to get a rough estimate on a budget. Their proposed bid sent us in sticker shock for a while there. In fact, I would have written sooner, but I was almost catatonic with shock. So then we moved on to a place in town here-- I liked them a lot-- but they haven't yet gotten back to us on a bid-- but they seemed like reasonable people, and a woman owns the place-- always a plus-- and she was great. ;) Then today, we came down to the beach and stopped in a place on the way that Alberene had recommended. And we really really liked this guy. He is a third generation fabricator of all kinds of stones. His work was incredible-- a real artist-- and he showed us around-- also had some Alberene soapstone there and has worked with soapstone a lot-- and the work he had done was just beautiful. He was incredibly helpful, too- and seriously seemed to know his business. And, based on the layout I had sent him earlier, he gave us a per sq foot rate, as well as the cost of each slab. He is about 2 hours from us, but works in our area all the time and does not charge extra to do so. Based on his pricing, he was so much more reasonable than the first place-- by a lot. I had asked that first place that was so high to give me a breakdown of their costs (which they hadn't done). They've never gotten back to me about that, which makes me think they just make up numbers, throw them out there, and hope somebody will just say, "Uh, okay."

So-- like everything else-- you have to find the right people to do the work. My main issue is keeping the limestone tile backsplash we currently have (sort of beige with a 4" white border through it), which goes up to our cabinets. I feel like I can make it work-- would rather have soapstone-- but just can't afford to do both the countertop and backsplash. We had sort of shied away from the soapstone that has wide quartz veins in it (wide white veins), because we felt you needed a big old island to showcase that, but when this guy listened to me talk about our limestone, he suggested that something that had the wider veining might be good-- it would pull in that whiter limestone border-- making it appear as though it were all a deliberate conscious choice. I liked that reasoning. :)

So that's my soapstone saga-- another little novella here. I feel much better knowing that the first place was just seriously out of whack with their pricing. Stuff like that never ceases to amaze me. That place never actually saw us, so they couldn't tell that we are ancient, have lived too long and done too much, to fall for that sort of stuff. :)

On the upside, I have not located where my ironing board is-- in years. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 6:44PM
baggie2
It sounds like you have some good options for the installer, and we all know how important that is! Does the wider veining make the stone less stable? I know it can with marble and granite. I looked at your soapstone website, and was surprised at the variations. I shouldn't have been since they are natural stone. I know how you felt looking at those magnificent slabs. I felt the same looking for our marble slab. I thought I was in God's art museum, and could have spent hours just wandering around. I hope you get to photograph the site. Imagine living in a house with a wall of one of those slabs! I read a book that mentioned schools in Afghanistan are often built of marble. The author said they shone in the mountains.
Happy to hear that you have recovered, and hope there are no residual effects, and sorry that you seem to have (purposely?) misplaced your ironing board. I have a friend who has never owned an ironing board, and we were all shocked when her oven broke since she never used it either. She and her family always look well groomed, so I guess ironing is just my form of OCD. : )
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 7:26PM
dianahb
Well, I'm sure I probably never look well-groomed. I'm hoping that translates as "bohemian" in an arty sort of way. ;) I'm always complaining, though-- usually when we're rushing through an airport somewhere, looking all disheveled-- "Why is it that we ALWAYS look like the Clampetts whenever we go anywhere-- no matter where we go??" I can have matching luggage with the little wheels and nice leather carrying strap-- the whole thing-- and I still look like a train wreck-- stuff falling everywhere-- bits and pieces of my life trailing behind me. I did read once that people will always know if you're wearing 100% natural materials (linen, cotton, silk)-- because it will always be slightly wrinkled-- but that's okay, apparently, because looking all rumpled lets people know-- in the subtlest of ways, of course-- that you never choose to wear anything synthetic. :) So, yeah-- I read that a long time ago, took it to heart, and just never looked back. I think that must be around the same time I misplaced my ironing board.

So-- yes-- it was amazing to me to look at all that beautiful soapstone. I've never been to a quarry or a place like that before, where it's so huge and overwhelming-- in a good way.

You know-- that's a very good question about the veining. I had the same thought and asked about that today. He said no-- that the white veining was quartz and a lot stronger than the soapstone-- and was not a weak part-- did not make it less stable. I was glad to hear that, which-- really-- was a thought I had and another reason I was avoiding it. The place in VA-- their ancient buildings are all made of soapstone. I think the whole place is built on soapstone.

That's fascinating about the marble in Afghanistan. I'd never heard that. Honestly, though, so many of the soapstone slabs (and other stones) do look like they should be hanging on a wall somewhere.

I took some photos while there, but I really want to go back for an extensive visit and tour, if they'll let me.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 7:46PM
baggie2
Happy New Year to my remodeled friends! I finally located a moveable storage unit for the "skeleton" closet and am happy with it. There is a vacuum cleaner behind it and a hanging rod for clothes above the cleaner. Dudley also shows his approval (more likely...his indifference). Looking forward to all of your 2014 projects. I think I am on a remodel sabbatical, or will be, as soon as Chad finishes the framing around the new sunroom opening. Hope to soon report a completed project!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 7:22AM
dianahb
Happy New Year, baggie2! I thought about you over the holidays and kept meaning to write in, but the holidays came and went in a whirlwind, so I never got a chance.

I love the shelving in there-- it looks perfect, and I like the open-ness of it, too-- less of a presence (and, of course, the neatness-- I'm impressed!). And I can't tell you how much I love those penny rounds! I think Dudley looks a little unsure-- that seems to me to be an almost "uh-oh" or "seriously???" look. :) He is so adorable. I bet he loves those penny rounds, too. He looks so cuddly, like a stuffed animal. Is he? I'm always hugging my dog, and he allows it, but I think I hug him too tight, because I always hear him gulping, like I'm practically choking him. ;)

My husband is currently outside sawing-- my Christmas present, which I wanted-- is some narrow shelving, like galleries have, for my framed work. Currently, the framed pieces are just propped up against the wall. When I had the studio done, I never thought about where I'd put all those pieces that came back to me (thinking, I'm sure, that they would be sold like hotcakes and never returned to me). So, collectively, we came up with a design and he's finally started work on it. I can hear the sawing as I type, so I think that's a good sign.
And we got some built-in bookshelves done, and the painter is here painting that room. I'm using Ben Moore 'Wind's Breath,' which I really like, and a Farrow & Ball color (Lamp Room Gray) for the back of the bookshelves, and then a warm white for the trim. I hope it will look good. And the fabricator is coming on Monday to measure the kitchen countertop for the soapstone. And THEN I think we'll take a little sabbatical, too.

I look forward to 2014, and may it be an ever-creative one for us! I still have this one room I need to clean out and overhaul. That's my New Year's Resolution-- to finally empty that room, sheetrock and paint. Maybe I'll do that while on my little sabbatical. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 7:42AM
michee627
happy new years!
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 8:12AM
baggie2
Diana,

The colors for your shelves sound wonderful, and, of course, very creative! I am eager for you to get them up so we can see photos. Tell the hubby to saw faster since we are all waiting for him to finish. I wondered what you had done with the soapstone. What did you decide about the installer? Hope to see pictures of that part of your "sabbatical". I am still getting rid of stuff so that is on my list, but at least it doesn't involve people traipsing through the house. I also have a bedroom that needs redecorating and I plan to make that a priority (Resolution?). I may be looking for color ideas since I am REALLY tired of the wallpaper in there. It!s a guest room so I can avoid it on a regular basis. : ).

Dudley is not a typical huggy dog, but tolerates it. He is a rescue and continues, after several years with us, to be very insecure. Good thing Dilly is tall so he can hide behind her when we have visitors. Fortunately, there are no angry bones in his fuzzy body. Just a note on Dilly...we think she has torn her other ACL so she is on the DL. I don't want to put her through another surgery so we are doing the watchful waiting thing to see if she can heal on her own. I have now become Dudley's playmate, but I let him do most of the running since I know he needs the exercise. Aren't I considerate? If you lived closer, he could run with you! I don't know if he could keep up with your pace since he is mainly a sprinter and circle dasher.
Looking forward to your pictures!
    Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 10:53AM
TRANSFORMING SMALL MASTER BATH INTO A "TRUE" MASTER BATH
I thought it would be fun to share before and afters...
Charette Design
Master transformed from a 2bd. room 2 bth. to a 5 STAR SPA RETREAT
Virtually transforming what was a two bedrooms and...
The Canadian Decorator .com
Fabulous Family Room Transformation
Having lived in the home for ten years, the owner of...
BOWA
I need help transforming spare room to a modern spacious bathroom
Hello there, the last piece of the renovation puzzle...
scottsomerville
Changing a very small laundry room into a large utility room
Taking a very small crammed laundry space and make...
scarletwitch1
Wood floors
We have the opportunity to replace our floors because...
katiehutch
Would a round rug work?
Hi houzzers, I want to change this rug because I find...
jdavid10
Boring staircase area
Hello. I have a boring staircase/hallway area that...
Rheannon Rundstrom
New Condo
Need a little help, so far this is what in thinking: I...
Edwyn Ortega
What style kitchen knobs and pulls? Is a combination OK? Suggestions?
My home was built in 1902 and is decorated in victorian...
randijeffrey