Before Tree .... After Tree
abl625April 15, 2013
What do you think? I tried to open up the front, but now I am stumped what to do.
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I think removing the tree was a good idea. I would try to get some taller shrubs against the walls of the house to soften up where the house meets the ground. This includes the areas on either side of the garage and the brick wall below the ground floor windows.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:22PM
marcysquad
Looks much cleaner and opens up the whole house without that overgrown bush... very nice! Just curious, are you also open to painting the garage doors and shutters a more neutral color? Another option if you are committed to the blue, is leaving the blue shutters and just painting the garage doors. You can accent your yard with the blue in potted plants and garden metals to tie it to just the shutters. Just a thought. Have fun!
5 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:45AM
Brown Bros. Masonry
I agree with marcysquad. I think what's throwing it all off is the stark contrast of colors with the brick and the garage door and shutters.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 9:12AM
some low growing plants would be more ideal in order to maintain the airy feel.
    Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 9:12AM
scapp
I think you could remove the shutters from the smaller upper story window and maybe tone down the blue. Removing the tree was a good idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:05PM
Dullea and Associates Inc.
All good ideas. I agree that some low plant material up against the house would be a nice. Depending on your geographic area you might also consider a Crype Myrtle or Japanese Maple to add so height. I fee the blue color is drawing ones eye away from the front door which is where you want it to go. You may want to consider a more neutral and complementary color.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:11PM
scapp
I like the idea of a tree too but I would plant it at the corner of the house not in front of the entrance. Japanese Maple is a good idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:36PM
Purcell Quality, Inc.
Agreed! It is much more inviting with the tree gone. I think some low plant materials under the window would be great, agree about changing the blue to a different color.

Also it would be fun to add some window boxes to the two upper windows. That way you introduce some pops of color in the spring and summer.
    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:43PM
William Roy Designer Kitchens
Tree gone, good. Now you deep to either read some landscaping books and get to work or hire a professional. Walk some nice neighborhoods to get some great ideas and get off the iPad! ha ha.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:49PM
lynsayj
I think with the tree gone it looks much more inviting. I am also not a fan of the blue shutters-they look too narrow for the size of the windows and look a bit out of proportion to the rest of the house? I would remove the shutters and paint the garage doors white to match the trim.
I would also plant some wall climbing plants of the wall to the left of the front door as you are facing it- or maybe an arbour over the gap before you get to the front door? Something nice and fragrant like white jasmine will look super pretty and smell great everything you walk past it.
Would it be too much work to have a wavy border along side your driveway to tie it into the existing bed where the tree was? Simple hedges of lavender or trimmed buxus makes a great impact and are low maintenance?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:19PM
LM Designers
Removing the tree was the right thing to do. Paint the shutters and garage doors a softer color that compliments the brick. Get paint chips and hold them next to the brick to decide.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 3:26PM
mahkee
I agree the shrubs had to go but now you are left with a house that has many sharp angles to it. I think it needs to be toned down by first painting the shutters and the garage doors a softer more neutral color. I would not plant on either side of the garages but instead buy a potted plant & place it between the two doors(the height should be at least 1/2 the door size)and nothing too full. I would extend the present island over to the left corner of the hose and start by first adding a Lace Leaf Maple and making that your focus point. You don't want it so that it is directly in front of the door but slightly off to left. Then work off that with some of your favorite perrenials. Bleeding hearts are always nice as well as columbine. You could even add a small piece of garden art.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:43PM
scapp
If it is shady-hostas are very lovely plants also azaleas are pretty and will add color.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 9:24AM
armygirl1987
There is so much that you can do with that empty area. I look so much better with the tree gone, but a lot is going to depend on where you live. I live in FL so I would go with crotons, hibiscus, so many different ways to go. But ultimately it is up to you. But what I have done is look at other areas and get different ideas. I have been adding stuff to my area every year and still not happy with it yet.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:07AM
mahkee
I agree with scapp. There are so many different varieties of Hosta out there and most of them are beautiful . Some are now scented and will tolerate sun as well.
    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 12:50PM
Christopher James Interiors
Definitely better without the tree...it feels more inviting now
1 Like    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:18PM
Interiors International, Inc.
The tree gone looks fine but now you need to change the blue doors and shutters.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:32PM
doctornancy
Removing the tree really opened up the entry. To complete the look, I'd suggest: wedgewood blue shutters, trim color garage doors, and landscaping as shown - 2 shrubs, groundcover, and 2 flowering vines.
4 Likes    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 10:51PM
mahkee
This looks great.
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:52AM
In my opinon it is hard to go wrong with a Japanese Maple!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 7:04AM
Designer's Guild
Perhaps a bold, open trellis-type structure (traditional or contemporary design) that extends well beyond the garage would better define the "front entry" and add an interesting architectural feature to an otherwise plain structure. And, I agree with others about removing the shutters
1 Like    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:01AM
abl625
Thanks for the comments everyone. All great ideas!
    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:29PM
Before And After Photo - Ranch
New Garage and Breezeway
Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
Who's got a "Before and After" to share?
I'd LOVE to see them! Who doesn't love a great transformation?...
Before & After
A subtle East Asian theme by Western culture in a landscape...
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Before and After Roof - Red Slate to Weathered Wood.
I had a new roof installed last week and after going...
caustin81
Before and After
Hope everyone likes what we've done so far! We need...
65carolyn
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Need advise on master bedroom lighting
Hi. Looking to add lighting to a master bedroom that...
hancockkitchen
Shower panel vs. shower door
I am replacing a tub with an approx. 30 x 50 inch shower....
terispec
I am preparing to embark upon a Kitchen Remodel.
I have no pics at this time. I will hire someone to...
jeander4
HELP ASAP!! Having wood-like-tile installed, what size of grout line??
We have purchased Marazzi Montagna Saddle 6x24 wood...
dhmiller12