OLLD - 4/16
astraea
April 16, 2013 in Other
Is everyone & their extended family OK?
astraea
Just caught up on the post-explosion posts from yesterday, and JudyG talking about what was shut down in & around Boston.

Brings back memories of 9/11; when I was still working for a nuclear power plant just 40 miles north of NYC, and we worried about being the next target. Glad I was out of NYC & living in NJ, so there were still bridges up there open to get home; had I been working in NYC, all the bridges, tunnels & public transportation were shut down, and hotels filled up.
April 16, 2013 at 3:46AM     
Morning Astraea! I think everyone is ok, just still shaking. On 9/11 living/working in NJ was a GOOD thing!
April 16, 2013 at 4:45AM     
Jayme H.
Good Morning all! Terrible tragedy, hope all your family and friends are safe and sound!
April 16, 2013 at 5:01AM     
mpoulsom
morning....jude glad you guys are safe! this breaks my heart. i hope they catch the person responsible.
April 16, 2013 at 5:06AM     
MP, I think they will. I hope that if they don't find the right person they don't blame the wrong person just to have a person. That's my fear.
April 16, 2013 at 5:49AM     
The count this morning was 3 dead and 144 injuries. The horror of it all is what the injuries are and those that witnessed the carnage. Body parts were all over everywhere and everyone. The heartbreaker was a little child sitting next to his mother and her leg is gone.

Besides the horrific physical injuries, the emotional trauma will be as devastating. How do you witness something like this and ever be the same.

The shock is the realization that none of us is safe, anymore. Nothing can be assumed. A little city, celebrating Patriot's Day, enjoying a marathon…

To bring some levity into the conversation: A beautiful day here and outside my office window there is a cardinal trying to romance the female and she is having nothing to do with him. He is not giving up. I guess his song was not romantic enough for her.
April 16, 2013 at 6:17AM     
He needs to change his tune!
April 16, 2013 at 6:30AM     
Jayme H.
Or just wear her down
April 16, 2013 at 6:40AM     
I'm up! Does that mean I have to get moving?
April 16, 2013 at 6:42AM     
Jayme H.
@oldbobbi..NO (LOL)...I have a can of paint and a brush next to my laptop and coffee cup.
April 16, 2013 at 6:50AM     
Are you planning to paint your laptop???
April 16, 2013 at 6:57AM     
astraea
I love the cardinals too; there was a female just by my bird bath. She just drank; I was hoping she'd jump in & splash around!
April 16, 2013 at 7:39AM     
kimdee24
Good morning, everyone. I'm about to order some artwork for my house today and maybe the mirror I've been eyeing up at Pottery Barn. Both 'passed' with my designer so I'm feeling good about my choices.

The painter/wallpaperer is coming on Saturday to take a look at my powder room, so maybe we can get that going soon. I ordered the little granite topper and I guess I need to call the plumber in to pull the toilet (oh yay) and the pedestal so it's easier to work around. Beyond that, I guess I should run some errands and get some actual paying work done today if I can.
April 16, 2013 at 8:02AM     
Jayme H.
@olldbobbi...LOL..indirectly, I prob. will! (working on new trim hubby put up).
April 16, 2013 at 8:04AM     
olldroo
Morning all, just realised I missed yesterday somehow. It is this damned date thing that messes with me. We have had a day of TV coverage of Boston, although it really annoys me how the TV stations try to make so much mileage out of it that they just keep showing the same thing over and over and over. I think it is so disrespectful to the people in the videos and their families, no one would want to watch that re-enacted again and again. I think they said there were 156 Aussies running in the marathon but with the phone shut down no one could contact family or be contacted. Fortunately, thanks of Skype news was eventually able to filter through. Apparently they shut the phone service down because that is the most common way of activating explosive devices.

It doesn't sound like it was a very professional job, sound like a nutter to me, a terrorist group would have caused far more damage and I don't think 2 bombs would have not gone off. That was so sad about the little boy, the report here said he was at the finish line and had just hugged his dad when the bomb went off. His sister lost a leg and his mother was badly hurt too, but another sibling and the father are uninjured............ well physically.

I wonder how the experts put things together to catch these people, technology today is pretty amazing. Just hope they do get whoever it was.

Off to bed. Night all.
April 16, 2013 at 8:09AM     
kimdee, you are SO busy! When will you share some pics?

Jayme - I'm interested in your trim. Are you replacing the door casings? That's what we're about to do because in an old house the casing get chewy and banged up, and I like the new fluted casings.
April 16, 2013 at 8:10AM     
Roo, I heard this morning that Google initiated their people finder just for the Boston mess. I'm not sure how to access it, mayble Google it? At last count they had 4,600 names of people searching/being searched.

I agree about the hashing and rehashing of the same videos. The news has been hungry for a good lead story; if it bleeds it leads, so they're going to make the most of it, right? Unfortunate.
April 16, 2013 at 8:13AM     
olldroo
Bobbi - what are door casing you talk about and what are they made of??
April 16, 2013 at 8:13AM     
olldroo
Wow, Bobbi, that is a lot of people. How many usually run in the Marathon? They are talking about the London Marathon and security, which is this week and is supposed to be the largest in the World generally with about 37,000 runners.
April 16, 2013 at 8:16AM     
Roo, I have no idea what they're made of, but they're the trim that surrounds the door openings. We're going to replace all the casings and hinges and hopefully the knobs, too, I like the lever kind. They have more class, IMO.

Did you all see feeny invited me to her house for Thanksgiving dinner??? hehehe Another thread about single vs double sinks, feeny and I disagree :))
April 16, 2013 at 8:16AM     
Gosh, roo, you're asking me all these questions I have no answers for!!! hehehe I don't know how many people ran the Boston marathon, probably Judy could chime in on that one.
April 16, 2013 at 8:17AM   
kimdee24
bobbi -- These are the two art pieces. The first one is going in the master bath above the soaker tub. The second is for the huge wall in the great room. I'll post pics of the powder room when it's done, but that will be a month or so out from now.

Yeah... busywork. Stops me from thinking too much. Not so good for my bank account though.
April 16, 2013 at 8:30AM     
Ok, I just saw this advertisement for the Dr. Phil show, and this guy is whining because no matter what chores he does, his wife says his work is not up to her standards. Aw, poor baby, feel sorry for him? I don't think so! He uses the toilet brush to clean the shower!!!
April 16, 2013 at 8:31AM   
kimdee, I like them both! I love the colors. Is the second one a shipyard? That's my interpretation anyway!
April 16, 2013 at 8:33AM     
kimdee24
:) It's called "Busy Streets", so I guess it's a city scape, but yes, it kind of does look like a shipyard, with the blue at the bottom. I love abstract art, and I love that it's architectural. The accent color in my house is "teal" so we're trying to pick up on some of that color in artwork and other pieces.
April 16, 2013 at 8:35AM     
olldroo
I thought they might have said something on the news reports, nothing was said here.

That sounds weird about your door trims - we call them architraves, but it is rare to replace them which was why I wondered what your's were made of. Our architraves and skirtings are generally the same timber so you wouldn't change one without the other. Ours were all done in the days of imperial measurements too and the new timber is metric so sizes are just slightly out and profiles are different too. We had to replace some skirting in two of the bedrooms because of the water damage from the showers (both places were behind furniture and we didn't discover it till too late) so we had to pull up skirting from the front hallway and family room and use that as we will be removing it anyway for the new floating floor.......... when we get that far. BH replaced quite a few of our hinges because they had been painted over so much and were looking pretty yukky so he put fresh ones on. Ours are done so you really don't see them anyway.

I noticed on some kitchen dilemmas they use kitchen cupboard hinges that are visible, some posts I have read, it seems people prefer them that way. These are the funny little things that intrigue me, that would be considered soooo old fashioned here - all our kitchen cupboards are really plain and seamless, even handles are only used half the time, most just have fingerpulls.
April 16, 2013 at 8:35AM   
kimdee24
AVS -- funny! Because the first one is the one I'm totally in love with, and was a wee bit unsure about the second, but the comments about it make me feel so much better about it! I think they're both going to be great, I can't wait for them to get here!
April 16, 2013 at 8:37AM     
olldroo
Kimdee, very much approve of your artwork, the second one is really intriguing. Are they both by the same artist? Will look forward to seeing them up.
April 16, 2013 at 8:39AM     
Roo, the idiot flipper replaced all the baseboards (skirtings?) and some of the door trims but not all of them. I like things to be consistent throughout so somehow I've talked R into doing this project. Probably because they only cost $20 for the whole kit! The ones we are replacing are original to the house built in 1967, so I'm guessing they're painted pine. Pine is a soft wood and easily dinged and dented and I can be dangerous with a vacuum! Not to mention all the furniture that's been moved in and out in the last almost 50 years, right?
April 16, 2013 at 8:39AM   
Cupboard hinges!!! I like the hidden ones. If you can't do hidden, at least make them match the paint color. It's too busy the other way.
April 16, 2013 at 8:40AM     
kimdee24
olldroo -- no, they are from different artists. Neither of them are super expensive either, though they are handpainted. The second one is HUGE, at 60" wide x 50" deep.

I'm on the hunt for something really colorful for my studio as well.
April 16, 2013 at 8:43AM     
astraea
Roo - That's a major problem with our media; when there's some horrific or titillating story in the news, they beat it to death .. all the TV stations simultaneously. Sometimes they don't stop, until the next horrible thing happens! Often, to fill air time, they waste all this time "speculating" long before there are any details. They'll get this or that "expert" to speak, and then pressure them to make educated guesses about what might have happened, based on very little information. I think they're very irresponsible. The media didn't know what to do with themselves, when Farrah Fawcett died .. and then Michael Jackson died the same day (6/25/09)
April 16, 2013 at 8:47AM     
olldroo
Bobbi, it would have to be soft not to stand up to basic wear, we have some pretty good hardwoods here that stand up to a lot of beating. All these little things are sure making a lot of work for you ...... not to mention expense. I didn't realise your house is the same age as ours.

So will you be replacing the whole lot? When we did our panelled walls I wanted BH to replace the skirting and architraves right through the house with the Tassie Oak and stain it instead of painting to reduce the amount of painting we need do. Tassie Oak is as hard a timber as you can get. BH freaked, we would have had to have done all our window architraves and frames too - it was just way too big a job, it would have been pretty impossible.
April 16, 2013 at 8:47AM     
kimdee24
^ Yes. It gets to be way too much after a while. These things wring me ragged and I just have to turn it off. It's hard for me to get images like these out of my head and it just messes me up.
April 16, 2013 at 8:50AM     
I'm hoping to replace all the trim the idiot flipper did not. He had to replace some of it because the prev owner took everything with her (including the bathtub!) and I'm sure she destroyed whatever she could on her way out. She was underwater with her mortgage so she lost the house like many other people did.

I've never heard of Tassie Oak! I'll have to look that one up, thanks for the tip.

Also, the prev owner had all the windows replaced. She chose triple pane black aluminum and then painted them (badly) an off-white. So because of the difference in the width of the single pane vs. triple pane, there's almost no window sill to speak of. And then the idiot flipper spray textured and painted what sill was left......I could go on forever, how much time do you have????
April 16, 2013 at 8:53AM   
olldroo
I found a website today that someone included in a comment on a post for a place in China that does oil paintings and ships them all over the World for 75% off - don't ask me off what??? I want something fairly large for my loungeroom and I'm thinking of doing something with photos on canvas prints. Anything really big would be impossible to even get home so I had the bright idea of doing a collage using different sized canvasses and speading them across the wall. This website has heaps done like this which is giving me some great ideas. It is going to be a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together so printing the photos just right is going to be a challenge. DD really likes the idea and she is very artistic so will be a good help.
April 16, 2013 at 8:56AM     
Roo that sounds so cool! I'd love to see it when you're done. Do you have a Staples near you? It's a store that sells office supplies, they print on canvas. I saw that last time we were there.
April 16, 2013 at 8:58AM     
olldroo
Bobbi, you probably wouldn't get Tasmanian Oak over there, or it would be way expensive if you could. Not real cheap here, but it is a beautiful timber. Why on earth would you buy black aluminium and then paint it white!!! Must have been a fire sale. My aluminium windows are just the plain aluminium and I hate them now as they are all pitted from the salt air and I think dirt corrodes them a bit too, so no matter how much I scrub them they still look yukky. The new windows now are done with a powder finish, like my shower screen is and you can get a variety of colours to go with the colour of the house. It is really beautiful and easy to keep clean. When you buy windows here, they come in a frame so you automatically have a decent sill and surround.

I know LADD has complained about her window sills, I think they are like a render, like the windows are just sitting on brickwork and it is really hard to keep clean. Of course they have the popcorn ceilings too which drive her mad although she has had the lounge and dining room taken out and is having the rest done when she comes out here in June so only hubby has to deal with the mess.

What was the purpose of the popcorn ceilings - anyone know??
April 16, 2013 at 9:05AM     
Roo I have no idea why she would buy black to paint white! It boggles the mind, doesn't it? I've been told she had $300,000 to spend on the house, why didn't she pay off the mortgage? Unreal.

I suspect popcorn ceiling were popular at one time, I don't know if they have a purpose other than something different, and maybe texture.
April 16, 2013 at 9:11AM   
kimdee24
That sounds great, roo! Anything you love can make a great collage. My great aunt, back in 1929, took a course in lettering by mail order, and I have all these handlettered signs in pen and ink she did and got graded on. So we're going to pick the best ones and frame them, and they'll be part of a 'typograpy' gallery for the wall leading down to the basement.

roo -- re popcorn: it's just a texture they do, rather than finishing the ceiling flat. It's just a cheap, fast way to finish the ceiling rather than a smooth finish which takes much longer and has to be perfect, otherwise all the imperfections show.
April 16, 2013 at 9:12AM     
olldroo
I can get the canvas prints done pretty much anywhere, although one office supplier here had them at a ridiculous price last year I wish I could have had heaps done but something else was happening and I just had no time to think about it. DD's partner has used an online place that is much cheaper than the stores This was one idea, but I can see ways of expanding it even more.
April 16, 2013 at 9:16AM     
Tres cool! I'm going to show that to R, he's always looking for another project! Not.
April 16, 2013 at 9:17AM   
mpoulsom
kimdee...love the 2nd painting! very cool!
April 16, 2013 at 9:23AM     
astraea
From Wikipedia: "The Boston Marathon is an annual marathon hosted by several cities in Greater Boston in eastern Massachusetts. It is always held on Patriots' Day, the third Monday of April. Begun in 1897, inspired by the success of the first modern-day marathon competition in the 1896 Summer Olympics,[1] the Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon, and ranks as one of the world's best-known road racing events. It is one of six World Marathon Majors. .. 26,895 people entered in 2011. The Centennial Boston Marathon in 1996 established a record as the world's largest marathon with 38,708 entrants .."

"The London City Marathon (branded Virgin London Marathon for sponsorship reasons) is a long-distance running event, the world's largest marathon as of 2012 with 36,748 finishing the race, held in London, United Kingdom. The event was first run on 29 March 1981 and has been held in the spring of every year since.
April 16, 2013 at 9:24AM     
olldroo
We use Gyprock here on walls and ceilings - I think it is what you call drywall, it is like a plaster board. You just nail it up and they use like a paper on the joins and skim over that, it is a really easy job, one a lot of people do themselves. The ceilings are no different to the walls and there is no problem with them. So interesting all these different building methods.

I like the sound of our aunt's signs, Kimdee, they will look great framed. I used to do a lot of calligrahy in my young days and I loved it. Not the steadiest of hands these days for it.
April 16, 2013 at 9:24AM     
Jayme H.
@kimdee.. Hope u can read this..Sorry it got cut off...Mr. Rogers.."Look for the helpers"...there is a bit more..but this is the main idea.
April 16, 2013 at 9:25AM     
I saw that on fb this morning!
April 16, 2013 at 9:27AM     
olldroo
Thanks Astraea, didn't realise it was that old. Bet women weren't allowed to enter back then. Just wondering what men would have worn too - probably something neck to ankles.

Bobbi, this is the website http://www.outletsart.com. R could make up some interesting compositions with all his photography.

I just gotta get to bed, grands might be coming tomorrow and I need a clear head to cope with them.
April 16, 2013 at 9:29AM     
mpoulsom
roo, i likes your idea mama, for the canvas collage! what are you doing up right now anyway? isn't it late or early or something??? lol
April 16, 2013 at 9:29AM   
olldroo
Jayme, if you put your cursor on the photos it enlarges them so you can read it all.
April 16, 2013 at 9:30AM     
Jayme H.
@olldroo...IDK how I manage to mess it up..I clicked on it and saved it-with my cursor..still did that...Maybe it's just me.
April 16, 2013 at 9:32AM   
olldroo
Thanks mp, if I can get the right photo of the beach that I like, I can break it up into segments and then add some photos of shells and seagulls. I suddenly have a thing for seagulls.

It is 2.30AM here. This computer is going down RIGHT NOW!!!
April 16, 2013 at 9:32AM   
olldroo
Jayme, it isn't you it is Houzz - that happens to all photos.
April 16, 2013 at 9:33AM     
kimdee24
@Jayme -- I love that! Thanks!
April 16, 2013 at 9:40AM     
Jayme H.
@kimdee24..I saw it a while back on FB. It stuck with me. And it's so true.
April 16, 2013 at 10:27AM     
kimdee24
I'd love to see it, eztia! Thanks!
April 16, 2013 at 12:41PM   
nasmijati
Ok, kimdee24, get ready for a lot of images! I do not know whether they will enlarge on this post. ( I am using an iPad.) I can attach four at a time.
April 16, 2013 at 12:49PM     
nasmijati
More teal color...
April 16, 2013 at 12:50PM     
nasmijati
Still more teal color...
April 16, 2013 at 12:51PM     
nasmijati
I could not resist adding this! I thought it would fun for a very tall wall.
April 16, 2013 at 12:52PM     
kimdee24
I LOVE those mountain climbers! I saw them in a showhome here once, they're very very cool! All the pictures are great, I especially like the first one in the first post, the last three in the second and I love how they did that grouping over the sofa!

I think my favorite is the fourth picture in the second post, so colorful -- I can't see the whole thing though, where did you find it?
April 16, 2013 at 12:54PM   
And the award for the most incredibly stupid question of the day, one reporter to another in Boston: "I can see you're really affected by this; why?"

Can you say 'we're running out of material'?
April 16, 2013 at 1:00PM     
kimdee24
Omg, what an idiotic question! Must have the bottom of his class out of journalism school.
April 16, 2013 at 1:06PM     
Yes! Thankfully he didn't go to medical school. Do you know what they call a doctor who graduates last in his class? Doctor.
April 16, 2013 at 1:10PM     
nasmijati
@kimdee24. That image is from Z Gallerie. 1-800-908-6748
It is called Sunset Falls 2, by John Butler. The image is 35W x 35H. SKU 730299276. $149.95 plus $29.00 oversize shipping charge.
April 16, 2013 at 1:23PM     
kimdee24
It's great! They all are, thanks so much for the ideas!
April 16, 2013 at 1:59PM   
Decorating wise, I wouldn't see a problem with it. Safety wise, I'd worry. Are you 100% sure rain water couldn't get in there? And I would think the majority of the cables could be hidden behind the tv, and just snaking out to the outlet. But let's see what others think :))
April 16, 2013 at 2:34PM     
That one I can't help you with, sorry!
April 16, 2013 at 2:39PM   
If dust falls on it and it's messy, are you sure you want your tv in there?
April 16, 2013 at 2:41PM   
mpoulsom
well ez....could you even see the picture if it's that tiny? I think a fireplace hole is a great place for a tv, but this sounds like you would have to sit on the floor in front of it and still not see it very well. Know what I mean jellybean?
April 16, 2013 at 2:53PM     
Jayme H.
@eztia...cool pics! I like that cat!
April 16, 2013 at 3:11PM     
mpoulsom
ez..that is exactly what I would do with a non-working fireplace...in a heartbeat! Great way to disguise a tv in a living area!!! :)
April 16, 2013 at 3:43PM   
Is anyone watching the news? Now they are finding anthrax letters again!
April 16, 2013 at 3:43PM   
Ok, EZ, you got us!
April 16, 2013 at 3:50PM   
I have never understood the "bidet". What the heck is it used for? Sorry, I do know that, but why? If you think you need it, why not get into the shower?
April 16, 2013 at 5:04PM     
kimdee24
Agreed, Judy!!
April 16, 2013 at 5:43PM     
Jayme H.
I am now officially, the definition of a bidet...(LOL....just a part of my job)!!
April 16, 2013 at 6:47PM     
Ironwood Builders
eztia...I haven't a clue! I'll research it to make sure it is code (though Norm says it is and I trust him). The why of it escapes me!
April 16, 2013 at 6:50PM     
Jayme H.
@Irronwood...Update...Cabinet guy now wants to hire my husband to run the place...
April 16, 2013 at 6:53PM   
I cannot follow this thread at all!!! I want some of what you guys are smokin'.
April 16, 2013 at 6:54PM     
I'm sorry to hear that. What's going on?
April 16, 2013 at 7:03PM     
Jayme H.
@eztia..I am sorry u had a rough day...U post great pics!! Hang in there!! :)
April 16, 2013 at 7:06PM   
Ironwood Builders
ez...I looked...The IEC is huge, but part of the IRC and I couldn't find anything about painted outlets in 1/2 hour of searching. Doesn't mean it isn't in the code, just means I need to call my electrician!
April 16, 2013 at 7:06PM     
olldroo
Morning all, (growl) I feel so hung over - like the morning after but I didn't have a night before. I just have to stop staying up late chatting to y'all. I think my reflux is playing up again too, that causes me to wake with a horrible thick head too.

On the subject of TVs on chimneys - I suggested to LADD one time when they first moved into their house that they put their TV there but she said they couldn't because it got too hot. Never having had a fireplace and knowing nothing about them, I was surprised to see so many photos on here of TVs on chimneys and people constantly recommending they be put there.

Ez, I love the second last picture you posted - don't like this, I'm seeing too many things I like. The collage one is a bit like what I am looking at doing only mine will go across the wall rather than up it. I have about 10 feet of space I could fill which is why I think a collage will work better.

I have never used a bidet so can't comment on them. I believe they came out of France, the word "bidet" is a French word. I know there was a lot on spa baths once and the bacteria harbouring in the outlets and piping. Firstly a lot was because of the water temperature being at a level bacteria loved and secondly it was because water backed up FROM the bath taking any body bacteria with it. This was an issue in hotels especially but I can't remember how they recommended putting either bleach or anti bacterial cleaners into the pipes.

Found a really funny video here http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Bidet

Actually, I did see a piece on one website where the question was asked - why is the bidet not used in the US. Having cared for my mum, I can see them being a huge advantage for the elderly or disabled - certainly from a carer's point too.
April 16, 2013 at 7:08PM   
That video is insane! And after you go thru all that, what else do you have time for?
April 16, 2013 at 7:12PM   
Jayme H.
from what I have dealt with..it would require a turbo wash to take care of business...but for the general public..maybe a regular spray is fine....LOL
April 16, 2013 at 7:13PM     
Jayme, you might want to explain to people that you are a nurse and not speaking from....er.....personal experience.
April 16, 2013 at 7:15PM     
olldroo
This is really funny. It is a bit long, you only need to watch the first 30 secs of it.

April 16, 2013 at 7:15PM     
olldroo
Jayme - I've had some baaaaaaaad tummy upsets I have felt the need for a fire hose.
April 16, 2013 at 7:17PM     
Jayme H.
wow...was the cat declawed? What a good kitty puss!!
April 16, 2013 at 7:23PM   
Jayme H.
@olldbobbi...Sorry..just saw your trim comment...We had hideous dark walnut stained, oak trim...not substantial enough to look good IMO....I can take some pics and sent u some...We just got pre-primed trim...but it is the same used in some of the nicer homes built by the company my husband works for...I was painting today..and he came home and laughed!! The nerve!! After all the painting I have done..LOL..he said he would finish it. It is all painted white..love it..looks so fresh!!
April 16, 2013 at 7:27PM     
olldroo
I don't think so because she said one time about the cat scratching her. I just never knew a cat could pull that face. Cracking me up.
April 16, 2013 at 7:27PM     
Jayme H.
Wow..good cat though..many would have flipped out entirely!! I recently lost a big tiger cat that looked a lot like that...His name was Antonio Romero Sabato Jr...he was missing half of one leg/half of the tip of one ear...I love him dearly.
April 16, 2013 at 7:31PM     
olldroo
My cats used to kick up a bit of fuss in the bath but basically they did love them and appreciated the cool water in summer and the warmth in winter - especially when I bundled them up well in a towel and let them dry in front of the heater. I'm a wuss!!!

Did you really call your cat by those names? It made me laugh, we had a TV series here one time called Sea Change about a lawyer who left her husband and took a country Magistrate's job on the coast - hence the title. As well as her family life it also included all the goings on in the town and the characters who lived here. One episode was around one of the character's dog who was found dead in the local swimming pool. The dog was called Alphonso Dominico Jones and it was never referred to by any other name. I have the whole series on DVD and regularly watch that episode, it cracks me up every time. The guy who owned the dog was called Bucket but although they talk about him and his escapades, he never actually appears in the show.
April 16, 2013 at 7:46PM     
Jayme H.
Here is a pic of the original Antonio Sabato Jr..He reminded me of my cat.
April 16, 2013 at 7:53PM     
Linda
I've been busy for a few days, so just go done reading the threads from the last couple of days

That poor cat - I could almost hear him saying "noooo, noooo"

when I had my first apartment, I had a cat who absolutely loved baths! He was the biggest pain in the neck because I had to lock him out of the bathroom when I took a shower otherwise he would jump in the tub with me and get under my feet. I'm serious - he was a terror! Instead, I shut the door and then he would sit at the door and meow until I finished and opened the door. Then he would run in and see if there was still water in the tub. I was always worried that the neighbors would hear him since it was a no new pets complex (existing tenants could keep their cats)
April 16, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Jayme H.
Oh yes..I am a registered nurse....lol....I don't need a turbo bidet personally yet!! Key word..YET!
April 16, 2013 at 7:59PM     
olldroo
Jayme - great looking cat.
April 16, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Jayme H.
@olldroo...ain't he though-look at that bone structure...like an architectural masterpiece!! LOL..I did name the cat after him in real life...I like Italian names for cats...I also had a Sebastiano. Sorry...per usual I am off topic.
April 16, 2013 at 8:01PM   
olldroo
Linda, did you have the sound on, he clearly says Nooooooo. You are lucky your cat didn't claw your bathroom door to shreds. One of mine insisted on sitting sharing the loo with me, and if I closed the door he just scratched at it non stop. One time I found a cutesy toilet brush in a dog holder so I bought it and that kept him at bay for a while, it was quite funny to see him dash in, see the dog, screech to a stop and race back out the door.
April 16, 2013 at 8:04PM     
olldroo
Jayme, haven't you realised yet on OLLD there is no topic.
April 16, 2013 at 8:05PM     
Jayme H.
@ezrtia...Good luck..let me know if I can help/or if u need anything.
April 16, 2013 at 8:12PM   
olldroo
Oh, ez, I hope everything is ok - well as ok as things can be for you, I do feel for you and your problems. Hope you have some success. God bless.
April 16, 2013 at 8:14PM     
Linda
I am not familiar with anything in the electrical code which prohibits painting switch plate and outlet cover plates.

However, it is against code to paint the face of the outlet itself.
110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work.
- - (C) Integrity of Electrical Equipment and Connections. Internal parts of electrical equipment, including busbars, wiring terminals, insulators, and other surfaces, shall not be damaged or contaminated by foreign materials such as paint, plaster, cleaners, abrasives, or corrosive residues. There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affect safe operation or mechanical strength of the equipment such as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated by corrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

Also, Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) listing standards require that nothing come between the receptacle face and the plug.
April 16, 2013 at 8:18PM   
kimdee24
Take care, eztia!
April 16, 2013 at 8:34PM   
S. Thomas Kutch
Sorry Linda but your interpretation of that code has absolutely nothing to do with painting the exposed surface of the receptacle. Nor does it mean the receptacle cover plate. The key is the pointed focus of "internal parts".......meaning the inside of control boxes, distribution centers, etc., etc..........has nothing to do with the exposed surface of the receptacle. Likewise with the UL standards........the intent is that nothing would prevent the receptacle from being securely set with the prongs complete concealed.

There is no code that prevents painting receptacles or their plates..........have been on many a commercial projects where the receptacles and cover plates were finished on the site with color coded designations using spray paint (i.e red for emergency outlets, blue for housekeeping, etc., etc.).
April 16, 2013 at 8:37PM   
S. Thomas Kutch
As too the bidet issue.......quite common in Europe. Considered a social convenience either as a substitute or supplemental step for toilet paper............nothing like a clean fresh bum.
April 16, 2013 at 8:41PM     
Ironwood Builders
ez...with you on this, OK?
April 16, 2013 at 9:30PM     
Linda
STK - I admit that I did search the question about painted outlets as it is common practice and I had not heard that it might be considered against code. I gather that some Florida authorities are especially picky regarding painted outlets while other jurisdictions don't consider it a prohibition. It can be hard to distinguish that paint on an outlet is not also paint in an outlet, and certainly paint in an outlet could be a problem as would be paint blocking an outlet.

Because of the unknown effects of paint chemicals on the UL listed devices, the fine print associated with the UL listing usually includes some language about modifications being prohibited.

Granted, whether something is permitted is a completely different matter than whether the restriction is followed or not. After all, speeding isn't allowed either
April 16, 2013 at 9:40PM   
Linda
Bidets make great sinks for washing the dirty and aching feet of European tourists
April 16, 2013 at 9:42PM     
aimran
@ topic: Boston blast came as a really shocking news, specially as I'd walked those streets last year.. 4/16 was heavy on our side too (uae & indian region).. a 7.8 magnitude earthquake.... shook bad..
April 16, 2013 at 9:54PM   
olldroo
Hi anumaura, welcome to our daily talkfest. Didn't hear anything about your earthquake, that is quite a big one. Was there much damage? I can never fathom out what priorities news services put on events. Hope you and your family are all OK.
April 16, 2013 at 10:57PM     
Linda
7.8 quake - definitely a bad shake in my book! When I lived in LA area many years ago, I decided that earthquakes are much scarier than tornados - at least you have some warning with storms but earthquakes are so sudden that is is absolute chance where ever you happen to be at that moment. I'll take a tornado or flood anyday...

I found the sensation of the earth moving to be disconcerting...the earth staying still under my feet is just one of my basic assumptions (unless alcohol is involved!)
April 16, 2013 at 11:02PM     
olldroo
You're an idiot Linda :)). Sounds like you can't be taken anywhere.

DD is still coming to terms with life and earthquakes in LA. She was out shopping when she had her first experience and didn't know what to think. She was meeting friends and they arrived shortly after and freaked at the sight of her, she was deathly white. When they asked her what was wrong she asked what had just happened and got "Oh? Did something happen? Maybe it was an earthquake." They didn't even feel it. SIL still can't get used to her jumping on top of him at 3am when one happens. One good reason why I'm not in a hurry to go to LA.

I just checked out our news service here and they reported on it 3 hours ago. Mostly in Pakistan and Iran and 34 people in Pakistan killed. All from a very poor area, they live in mud huts. Hate hearing how the poverty stricken people always seems to come off worst. Also said people were evacuated from those giant skyscrapers in Dubai - now that would be scary, you wouldn't find me in one anyway, I can't handle lifts.

I was also interested to read that in 2003 a quake killed over 26,000 people in Iran and another in 2005 in Pakistan killed over 73,000 people. I don't remember reading about that, maybe they didn't report on final figures. That is huge.
April 16, 2013 at 11:17PM     
Linda
I was a few miles from the epicenter of the Whittier Narrows quake in 1987 - it was only a 5.9 quake but caused damage where I worked. I have two major memories about that quake; first was was watching the huge glass windows in our building's lobby area move back and forth - I never realized glass was so flexible. The other surprise for me was seeing the waves of the earthquake travel across the expanse of the asphalt parking lot. It looked somewhat like the wake of a passing boat

Whenever we visit the Natural History museum in London, we always go through the earthquake simulator. It is quite realistic.
April 16, 2013 at 11:37PM   
olldroo
I've heard of people not being able to move during a earthquake, probably in the case of a strong one. I wonder if going through the simulator enought would desensitise you to them. We have only had one here that I can remember. It was about 5am and funnily enough I just happened to be awake but suddenly became aware of how quiet everything was, no birds, even the frog colony we had at the time was quiet, then I heard the windows rattle and I immediately thought of the fact that our windows don't rattle. By then it was all over so I thought I had been dreaming and went back to sleep. Oh, I do remember a second one, it caused a bit of damage and a few people were killed in a building collapse. I was out shopping in a large department store and there was a bang and the lights flickered which gave everyone a bit of a shock, but again that was it and it wasn't until after I got home that I heard we had had an earthquake.

DD was standing outside on a grassed area the first time, it was only about a 3.0 but she said the ground just felt like liquid under her.

What are you doing up - burning the midnight oil like I did last night.
April 16, 2013 at 11:47PM   
aimran
Hi olldroo, thank you for asking. we are fine in the cities, thank God.. the people in the mud houses faraway from the cities did suffer the worst.. we all did evacuate the building (G+3 storeys). haven't experienced it this bad in my life and it was a good minute or two it seemed. And ofcourse for buildings, the higher you go up, more the movement is, which is actually good, which means flexible building joints, otherwise rigid joints will crack easily..
April 17, 2013 at 12:25AM   
olldroo
anumaura - I knew that about the buildings swaying, I have seen a few TV documentaries on the building of these in places like San Francisco where they regularly get quite strong shakes. The strange thing is that I have often seen other buildings that are really old, built long before anyone knew anything about quake proof building and they seem to survive well too. I'm sure the minute or two seemed like eternity when you are experiencing it.

We had a real run of earthquakes a couple of years ago, there seemed to be at least one a week, I think that was in the period leading up to the one in Japan that caused the tsunami and after that things seemed to quieten down a bit. Made me wonder just what was going on, is it the earth just making periodic adjustments, is all the oil and resources we are taking out of it having effect, or does it just seem like more are happening because of all the new technology and how quickly news can travel now. I'm sure there is still so much the experts don't know and probably never will. What City are you in?
April 17, 2013 at 12:36AM   
aimran
once a week! that sounds horrible. because the unsettling feeling also takes time to go away, before you have another one. regarding the oil & resources & news travelling faster, you are echoing my thoughts exactly.. but we can't pin on anything either.. so much more to know.. I am in Karachi, Pakistan..
April 17, 2013 at 12:41AM   
olldroo
Sorry, I was speaking world-wide when I said once a week, they were just all over the place. As I said before I can only recall two here in Sydney, but neither epicentre was in Sydney itself. Of course they do know all the fault lines around the world, so maybe it is all to be expected. One of my joeys lives in LA and she has said they are more likely to get earthquakes during long periods of dry weather - she even referred to it as earthquake weather.

So what is life like in Karachi? Everything we hear about Pakistan is Taliban, constant uprisings, wars, starvation, natural disasters, it sounds like a very scary place to live - even to visit. You sound very well educated and your English is excellent, we only hear about how deprived women are.

It is time for the evening news here, must go and watch and see if they mention anything. Lot depends on what else has happened today. Come back later.
April 17, 2013 at 12:52AM   
aimran
oh got it. that's interesting about dry spells and earthquake, never heard that before..

life has been good here.. but recently security and peace has become an issue.. it's not war like (not like war movies).. we carry on our daily works, (grand weddings also happen here ( http://thepalm.com.pk/includes/gallery.html ), people build houses), but uncertainty of a blast or so is there, (like boston yesterday, but more often.. just like earthquakes.. you don't know when it may happen..). i would blame corruption (sadly), political groups & people who use religion to gain power (religion has nothing to do with power honestly). what you are mentioning would fit the north better (geographical proximity to war ravaged countries).. but i wouldn't advise you to visit unless you have friends & family here.. even though Pakistan's north especially has places far more naturally beautiful than what the swiss landscape offers (that's what we say here ;) .. you can google it - gilgit, kashmir, kaghan valleys etc).. flickr photos: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/gilgit/Interesting http://www.flickr.com/photos/35663537@N00/with/121869338/#photo_121869338

Karachi being a metropolitan, though not as well planned out as it should've been, due to negligence.. this is a hindrance in dealing with many issues i/c refugee/rural influx etc, & maintaining peace in KHI. Hence quite a dense n varied population within one city.. it has a few high rises (recent 'oceans tower' & 'dolmen city tower ( http://photos.hamariweb.com/photos/Pakistan-Dolmen-City-Mall-1765.jpg )' at clifton), many markets (swarming local sort & a few malls), scuba diving schools, marina boat club, few 3D cinemas, eateries (try http://www.karachisnob.com/ ), lil theatre, schools, college, universities, art schools etc.. there are all sorts of people here. the greater populations are in the plains & rural areas (which don't have adequate access to education & other utilities etc)..

i personally know many females, within family & friends (& there are more), who are doctors/engineers/ arch. /MBA/lawyers /graphics designers/TV actresses/pilots etc... (i am an engineer). then there are factory workers, house helpers too.. women work in the fields in the plains (our hidden work force that hasn't been appreciated, cheap labour too)..
last week only we had an interior's (interior design) expo fair in the city.. ( http://www.google.com.pk/imgres?um=1&sa=N&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=809&tbm=isch&tbnid=VEvM6CBZdB7N5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.iapex.com.pk/&docid=ZixP-z5wmFOO9M&imgurl=http://www.iapex.com.pk/picture/QYKKVVBNM6.jpg&w=900&h=225&ei=s2tuUcWuIYelrQfekYGoCg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:4,s:0,i:93&iact=rc&dur=704&page=1&tbnh=80&tbnw=320&start=0&ndsp=22&tx=187&ty=40 ) and attended the 62nd annual flower show in march in Karachi).. try http://www.danka.pk/

it was nice of you to ask, Olldroo, nice conversing! :) honestly there are many threads, nothing is a complete story..

P.S.- re 2005 Kashmir earthquake in Pakistan: there were approx. 75,000 casualties..
April 17, 2013 at 2:25AM   
olldroo
Anumaura, thank you so much for all those links, it was very interesting. One thing I'm really loving about this website is not just the interior design ideas but the people I am meeting and the things I'm learning about places I will probably never visit. Talking to people like you, just everyday people, gives a whole different insight into how others live. I had always thought Pakistan was a country of extremes especially where poverty and wealth were concerned and it is very hard when religion and power get muddled together. It is heartening to hear women are being given opportunities.

I had heard the north in particular was extremely beautiful and those photo sure do it justice. What a shame it can't be open for tourists to visit freely, it would bring so much wealth to your country that people so desperately need. My eldest joey lives in Germany (I have two joeys married to foreign nationals, making us quite an international family) and she has made friends with a lot of people from the middle east in particular and has told me a lot of stories about their lives - just a simple thing like going to the shop for some milk or a loaf of bread is a life or death thing, you never know if you will make it there and back. It is something we just can't comprehend. It is sad too because people then tend to not value life - their own or any one else's.

Unfortunately, there was no mention of your earthquake on our news tonight, everything seems to be focussed on Boston at the moment.

We chat here every day, mostly Americans but we also have people from Canada, Scotland, Holland, Switzerland and me so it makes for an interesting mix. You are welcome to drop by for a chat any time.
April 17, 2013 at 6:40AM   
aimran
Just saw news, where an arrest has been made! That is what everyone likes about the system, swift action..
April 17, 2013 at 10:57AM     
astraea
A friend just e-mailed last week, that she's always been afraid of using pressure cookers, because she knew of one that almost blew up. Now she's got a new reason to worry about them; who ever heard of using a pressure cooker to make a bomb?!
April 17, 2013 at 11:14AM   
mpoulsom
Just thinking the same thing.....things from home....A pot and home improvement items! I'm sure there is a video on youtube about how to make one! Makes me sick!
April 17, 2013 at 11:33AM   
olldroo
I couldn't believe last night on our news they actually gave websites that Al Queda have put give giving step by step instruction (with photos) of how to make a bomb in a pressure cooker.

Back in the olden days when pressure cookers were pretty much in every home, I loved the idea of one for the speedy cooking, but I was always too scare of them to ever buy one. I notice on these reality cooking shows now they are suddenly using them heaps.

Anumaura - we finally got some decent news this morning on your earthquake.
April 17, 2013 at 4:08PM     
aimran
@Olldroo's earlier post: Thank you for taking the time to check the links, olldroo :) @ northern greenery: sufficient efforts have not been carried out to develop tourism.. Infact at one place up there (sri paey) locals maintain jeep tracks themselves without govt assistance, as their livelihood depends on it.. And re value of life, you couldn't have said it better.. Sadly, That's exactly just what happens... Although They do say here that Karachi is one of the biggest philanthropist city in the world.. (Charity by the masses and the likes of edhi foundation)...
Lastly, i love this website. Great ideas, interesting discussions, unlimited creativity of ordinary ppl alongwith that of pros'.. All in one place.. Everyone bringing something different to the table.. Learning loads from everyone.. :) thanks :)
April 17, 2013 at 8:31PM     
4 x 12 or4 x 16 matte white subway tile?
which one is better looking in a shower stall (150...
maximize 16'x25' scn porch natural light via two 4'x4' skylights
Don't know where to place skylights in room and position...
OLLD 5/16
Morning OLLD's! MP, this one's for you! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/479074/Finding-home-address-numerals-plaque...
Buffet turned into an island
I really like how my project turned out. Just seems...
Help, my kitchen needs a face lift!
Ideas on how to work with tile as a counter top and...
Rug ok?
Does this rug look too small? Wrong color? Too much...
Different colored cabinets throughout house?
Hi there, my husband and I are having a new house built...
Reface or replace circa1962 cabinets?
I am buying a house with this kitchen, complete with...