Urgent Help - how to raise cabinet to be vanity height for powder room?
akcorcoran
Eek - the antique vanity I ordered turns out to be about 2 inches shorter than it should be to be a standard vanity height for a sink. Do you have any suggestions as to how to raise it without having to go to a master carpenter to have the legs redone?

We are putting granite on the top (instead of the wood) and I know sometimes people put two levels of granite but this is a 3 cm granite so that would be ridiculously thick.

Thanks for your help?!
R J Hoppe Inc
Everyway I can think off to get the 2" out of your cabinet is costly, time consuming and will most likely change the looks of the cabinet for the worse by altering its dimensions. Don't get me wrong, it can be done.

My sugestion would be to leave the cabinet alone and get the 2" you need by raising the entire cabinet of the floor via 2" high blocks that the cabinet would then sit on. Most likely tiled mortar one below each leg. It could be treated as a plinth block tiled mortar base.
April 16, 2013 at 12:10PM   
Christine
Build a box base out of 1 x 2 and set the sink base on top of it. Also the fix for the legs would not be so bad since it's a sink and would basically stay in place. A good wood shop could cut the pieces for you and glue them on and stain them.
April 16, 2013 at 12:17PM   
mpoulsom
I would just go buy some new legs for it...you don't need a master carpenter for that.
Your only other alternative that I can think of is...put another piece of wood on top and then add yuor granite. I would go for the legs!
April 16, 2013 at 12:19PM   
akcorcoran
RJ Hoppe, I agree with you - that's been the struggle. It's a beautiful vanity otherwise! Do you have a picture of how that looks or an example here on Houzz? I can call our tile company - I don't know if you can see - the floor of the room is a beautiful hexagon of marble and natural stone so I'd need to tie it into that somehow?

For Christine, that's the issue too - I don't want to cover the tile since it is an exposed leg so I spent to have a tile you can see - otherwise I'd go with your solution in a heartbeat?

mpoulsom, the height would actually be OK if I left the wood on it but wouldn't that look weird with the granite? And, you are clearly way more resourceful than I am - not sure where to find the right quality wood legs of the perfect size to meet the edge of the current ones?

My only low budget thought right now was to get the cap pictured below (in an antique brass) and put it on the bottom to raise it just about an inch and 1/4? It would be in the antique brass - not yellow and shiny, but still not ideal since the faucets are brushed nickel ... but it was something?
April 16, 2013 at 12:30PM   
Judy M
What kind of sink are you using and how high is the cabinet?
April 16, 2013 at 12:37PM   
akcorcoran
We were planning on a Kohler Caxton undermount in Fusion granite. And the vanity is 30" without a top. Ideally it would have been 34" (The antique company from which I purchased it said the height was 32" without a top - it wasn't supposed to have a top!) So, then I would have been a shade over 33" and much happier.
April 16, 2013 at 12:39PM   
Robin W
Can you use a vessel sink instead?
April 16, 2013 at 12:40PM   
bluenan
Yes, use a vessel sink and it will be a perfect height.
April 16, 2013 at 12:44PM   
Judy M
That's why I asked a out the kind of sink , a vessel sink needs a lower vanity since the sink is raised.
That's one option.
I also like the option to add a 2 inch wood top, then granite or the brass feet (I'm sure the feet come in other finishes, so you can match faucets.
April 16, 2013 at 12:46PM     
akcorcoran
I love the look of a vessel sink but not for my 1917 Colonial, unfortunately. Sorry - I'm a traditional undermount girl! (So, yes, I know I deserve my own headache over this, but it was supposed to be taller.) :(
April 16, 2013 at 12:47PM   
akcorcoran
Is there a way to put the granite right on the wood - as opposed to removing it? How would that look? That would actually make it an acceptable height - I've just never seen wood underneath granite - or do you lip the granite somehow so you don't see it?
April 16, 2013 at 12:49PM     
R J Hoppe Inc
Do not have a picture but have seen it done. Very european. Seperates the bathroom floor from the wood leg and the possibility of standing water soaking into it.
April 16, 2013 at 1:02PM   
pattiegoode
Add the granite with an overhang.
April 16, 2013 at 1:06PM   
akcorcoran
pattie, do you mean an overhang that goes farther out than the granite? or actually comes down and covers the wood (like a vertical bullnose, almost?)

RJ Hoppe - called my "tile guy" to see if he can think of anything - would be easier if it was a uniform floor. We had to go with a carrera threshold which I'm not super thrilled about b/c it's very white and the room is a creamy/greay finish but it's definitely an option to investigate.

If anyone has any photos of any type of solution, I'd love to see them - thanks already!
April 16, 2013 at 1:11PM   
mpoulsom
akcorcoran...you got it! Buy the piece of granite that is slightly larger around the front and 2 sides...most likely the back of the granite can be flush with the wood top! Hope that solves it for you!! ;)
It will look beautiful! When they told you it was such and such a height, maybe they included an average thickness the granite top you are adding would be? Not that it matters now so much. But I would just add the granite over your existing top and it should work and still look lovely!
April 16, 2013 at 1:18PM   
What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?
Surely there is something in your house that involves...
Need to warm this space up
I need a little help. This space needs some design....
Need ur value able suggestion
Need ur help fr my apartment ... Read the 1st pic plzzz.......
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...