kimberlyn
July 19, 2011 in Photo Questions
what kind of tile is around the fireplace surround? Is it porcelain, concrete how is it seamless? Beautiful!
motherbear
Could it be carpentry trim work?
July 19, 2011 at 9:22am   
kimberlyn
i am not sure ... i thought it looked like some sort of tile or stone work directly around the fireplace. But, the wood part is fabulous, too!
July 19, 2011 at 10:50am   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
It is difficult to say for sure, but it looks like a custom surround & hearth of crema marfil marble, which would be slabs about 6" or 7" wide. It wouldn't be wood trim that close to the fireplace - it needs to be something non-combustible.
July 19, 2011 at 10:59am   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
The lattice detail, which is what makes the wall remarkable, could be anything, but it appears to be 1x2 trim. Really sharp and not very expensive.
July 19, 2011 at 11:01am   
motherbear
They could have wiggled around code. How many inches from the firebox do you have to go before placing wood?
July 19, 2011 at 11:17am   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
It depends on the fireplace. The building code doesn't govern "clearance to combustibles" on manufactured fireplaces, the fireplace manufacturer does by submitting to ANSI or UL testing standards. Let's just say that it would be dumb to put wood that close to fire, although I've seen worse.

Having said all of that, the beige material in the photo appears to be standard marble thickness, 3 cm (1 1/4"). The material beyond the edge of the surround appears to be shallower, perhaps 3/4" thick, which would work well with standard trim material.
July 19, 2011 at 11:31am   
motherbear
I thought we were talking about the green area. Now I'm on the correct page. My bad.
July 19, 2011 at 11:39am   
Courtyard Help!
Hi there! I have an "Eichler Style" house with a...
BATHROOM! Need help for my bathroom!!!
Hi, I recently painted my bathroom an orange color,...
How to bring a wow on a plain wardrobe
I have got a frost looking laminate for this wardrobe....
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
Grout Haze Issue...HELP
My contractor has finished my bathroom but there is...